How many staff top 10 GotY 2023 lists will include Starfield

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By BisonHero

Poll How many staff top 10 GotY 2023 lists will include Starfield (56 votes)

0 46%
1 27%
2 14%
3+ 7%
Show results 5%

Duelling GotY-themed polls!

I couldn't have predicted how lukewarm the reaction to Starfield turned out to be. My read is that it's not bad, but it's also nowhere near a frontrunner for top 3 GotY in a year as stacked as this one.

So this poll is the way I am posing this question. Weigh in!

• 
ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Looking at my own list of 2023 releases I've played, I count 15 games so far and I think I would have Starfield at 14. I could see shuffling around the games in the 12-14 range, so I could possibly be talked into Starfield at 12 or 13, but not really any higher. With Spider-Man 2 and Alan Wake 2 still to come, plus potentially other games I missed or are still to come that I may get to before the end of the year, Starfield will probably continue to fall.

shamusisaninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think like the week after release most would have in the 10-7 spot, but every week since they seem to cool on it more and more, much like myself.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people love a 'podcast game' (maybe not expressly to listen to podcasts, but something low-investment that is easy to dip in and out of). i predict up to 2 staff will have Starfield slot into their lists in this capacity.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I don't think Starfield is going to get any love this GOTY cycle. And that's because it didn't live up to the hype. It's a solid Bethasda game, but most people were looking for something special and were disappointed.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I am voting for 0.

This year is pretty stacked, and the only times they talked about Starfield in the weeks following its release was with derision.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@hermes: It has been really interesting to see, for example, Jan or Bailey being more positive on Cyberpunk 2.0 than continuing Starfield.

I don’t even know what to suggest as an improvement for Starfield; it’s almost like a frontiers-of-space game is better served being a survival/crafting game like No Man’s Sky/Astroneer, or a full on galactic space politics with aliens like a Mass Effect/Star Trek/Star Wars game. Starfield sits in a weird middle ground of near future where I wasn’t intrigued by the story or the space exploration after watching a few streams of it. It’s the most I’ve ever been completely uninterested in buying a major Bethesda game.

maian1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm leaning towards 0. Even the people who have been mixed-to-positive about the game haven't really talked about it in GOTY terms, especially since the general arc of the reception for that game seems to be that people like it less and less the further they get in, so even people who may have said it was okay at the time seem to have turned on it since. I would be surprised if it crept into anyone's top ten considering the competition.