How did you find giant bomb? Share your stories!

• 85 results
Darth-Malum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I found giant bomb through another podcast, they were asked what podcasts they listen to and one of them mentioned GB saying that they were the funniest guys they knew; so I was like hey I like funny guys and video games I'll give that a go.

I listened to the podcast for a few months before I ever actually visited the site, listening off of iTunes, I started listening around about the time drew got a sous vide and all the emails about the phantom shitter kept coming in (still some of them funniest episodes I've listened to).

The first GB video I watched was when Dan and Jeff rode the roller coaster playing Mario, looking back at that now it seems like that's something that feels really out of place for them to be doing but it was pretty funny!

So yeah I decided to become premium to listen to the other podcasts they do and I've been watching UPF and the like ever since! I don't wanna get too deep but this is the best content I've ever consumed on the Internet, they could be talking about anything and I'd still keep coming back!

So please do share your stories of how you got here, I think it'd be really interesting to hear.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Friend in college was watching the halo reach multiplayer unfinished and I was like what's that. He said giantbomb and his gf was like yeah he watched that for hours on end. The next day or so I went back and watched all the building a bomb series and some of the persona 4 ear and I have been hooked ever since. This was October 2009

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Gamespot Off Topic forums soon after the Jeff firing shit-storm. Somebody made a topic about the all new Arrow Pointing Down podcast. It was the first podcast I ever listened to. I never paid much attention to the former Gamespot editors until all the drama went down, then they had my attention.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used to listen to The Hotspot back in 2007. My english was pretty bad back then, I probably only understood half of what was being said.

j4yk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found it about five years ago and liked the content and really enjoyed Quick Looks but only recently made an account. I forgot how I found out about the site.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I was on 4chan in 2008 and heard that some people were pissed about some guy named Jeff Gerstmann getting fired and mentioned he was starting his own website. I was like " I've visited gamespot before! I wonder if I would recognize Jeff and would I notice him not being on gamespot? Where has he gone from there? Do I even care about his website?" I google him and news relating to his situation sicne I'm a nosey bitch. Was curious to see what he looked like too. The stories were super interesting and I was like " What kind of content does his website have?" And I saw an i love mondays video and the theme song made me happy. I clicked through the videos and saw something about how to build a bomb and was like " I wonder if I could get more juicy details about whats going on from these videos. The first one was of Jeff forgetting his keys to the old office. It made me kinda sad but I wanted to see how the story turns out for what had suddenly become a real life soap opera for me. Obviously it wasn't as dramatic as I was expecting but the podcast made me laugh and the crew had me giggling. It wasn't until the Endurance Run of Persona 4 I had an intense urge to watch every single video content come out of the site. I was hooked from the moment they made a comment about that dudes huge nose.

I love this site and the people who are behind it. They make me feel like how i feel about every character in undertale after my first pacifist playthrough.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Heard about it when Jeff talked about it on Attack of the Show. Came by the site every now and then. Didn't really start coming to the site daily till I listened to the special Bombcast with Ed Boon in 08(?).

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matrix online. I don't remember specifics.

Darknorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Darknorth

I'd listened to every TGS/Co-optional podcast several times, and every few episodes they'd talk about how awesome Giant Bomb was. Glad they did because now I've almost listened to every Bombcast once (night jobs are hell) and been a premium member ever since Giant Bomb East was announced.

zokamoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NeoGaf

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Total Biscuit, numerous times on TGS Podcast sung the praises of this place, and unwittingly led me to this place, and stop watching and listening to his stuff. I think I started watching stuff around a month before Ryan passed, but as I flung myself into their back catalogue very heavily, it smashed me. Glad I stuck around, as this lead me to Idle Thumbs, and now I make games, alongside my job.

maxB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A girl I was crushing on in high school told me about Tim Schafer and that led to Brutal Legend. I thought that it had a really cool style, and was looking for footage beyond the trailer and that led me to the Quick Look of the demo. Once I found the site it dawned on me that this is where all the dudes I liked from Gamespot went, and I've been following it ever since. I actually just bought Brutal Legend on the last Steam sale so maybe I'll get around to actually playing it one of these days.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TotalBiscuit, if I remember right. The first piece of GB content I consumed was the first podcast of 2012.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Followed Jeff and Ryan from Gamespot to here.

JamesGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Searching by Google / Wiki for gaming sites. That's kinda sad, this place is pretty much invisible to lots of people that might actually enjoy it.

Darth-Malum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknorth: I also listen to the podcasts on a night job! Makes it all the more bearable

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Standard day 1 story, Jeff was fired and I signed up when he announced the site.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wchigo

Heard about it from back when I used to frequent GameSpot a lot. I signed up for an account fairly early into the life of Giant Bomb but didn't visit much since most of the people I liked conversing with were still on the GameSpot forums.

Flash forward to most of them leaving and I stopped going to GS. I played a lot of P4 back in the day but didn't finish it and somehow came to re-discover the site and, along with it, the P4 endurance run. Never actually finished the ER but it prompted me to go back and finish my save. Basically been following the site ever since then, as well as listening to the podcast. I have a habit of watching basically all the original content they put up on the site, even QLs of games that aren't on my radar. Nowadays, I probably watch them play games more often than I actually play them myself.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By avantegardener

Podcast popped up in itunes as if you like 'A' you'll like 'B(ombcast)'. The rest as they say, is history.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Used to be active on Gamespot back when Jeff was there but i moved over day 1 when Giantbomb came to life.

Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was watching X-Play in 2008 and there was some head to head segment with Chris Remo and Jeff Gerstmann. After that, Jeff plugged giant bomb. Hooked ever since.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was way too hyped for Borderlands 1 back in like 2009 or whatever and GB had a trailer/preview thing or something. Watched a couple videos listened to the beastcast was hooked.

Sparklehorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sparklehorse

I moved to Beijing in 2010 and had a great 80GB iPod that broke down and was in desperate need of a new MP3 player. Being the cheap/broke college graduate that I was at the time, I decided to buy a Zune to try it out...It couldn't hold much, but it did its job storing some of my songs. That's where I found GiantBomb under the "gaming" podcasts on Zune software and decided to give it a whirl.

I have no idea what episode it was, but they were talking about cookies or some stupid shit and I couldn't contain my laughter on the streets of my little small community on the outskirts of Beijing. People were already looking at me weirdly since not many see a foreign person in their every day lives, but seeing one just start cracking up in the middle of the streets was probably amusing/terrifying for some. I've kept a sub almost ever since then.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I think years ago I stumbled upon the Persona 4 Endurance Run. Either that, or there is another incredibly long Let's Play series of the game with two people (fairly likely). I didn't watch all of it, I just caught the ending where they reflected on how long the game was, which matched how the final episode of the Endurance Run went.

How I actually found out about Giant Bomb:

In 2013, I was working in a job where I could listen to podcasts and audiobooks for like 5 hours a day. I was going down a videogame podcast rabbit hole and went from the multiple IGN podcasts to searching for other high ranked videogame podcasts. I started listening to the Bombcast, but almost stopped, because I was in a let's say not so great mood and Jeff was talking about how everything was going to crumble and fall apart. Despite that, I stuck with it, loved the show more and more, and eventually started going to the site to see coverage for the launch of the Xbox One and PS4. That was the turning point where I went from "I'm just going to listen to this podcast" to "I should actually see these new consoles and games for myself. What's this Quick Look thing?" The rest is history.

LocalOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was on some forum somewhere and they linked the Quick Look of Rogue Warrior.

I didn't actually make an account until I got a premium membership this year. I should've done that a lot sooner!

bugbarbecue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bugbarbecue

@gerbilsinspace: Are you me? because that sounds exactly like the way I got into this site.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the GB guys were the guys on Gamespot who's video reviews I liked the most. I didn't know about Jeff being fired in 2007 until someone on their forums mentioned GB being a thing, been here since then.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Y2Ken

@flstyle said:

Standard day 1 story, Jeff was fired and I signed up when he announced the site.

Same type deal here: fell in love with On The Spot, carried on watching after Jeff was gone but then one day while waiting for OTS to start someone in chat said "Hey Jeff and Ryan are starting a new site" and I immediately hopped over here. Was just when Episode 2 of "How to Build a Bomb" came out, so you can go back and date it pretty precisely. Listened to the backlog of Arrow Pointing Down podcasts along the way too while the site was under construction, have been hanging around ever since.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Found Gamespot back in the day when I first got the internet and typed videogames.com in as the URL. After the Gerstmann thing went down, I kind of stopped following games media for a bit. I would browse Giant Bomb some, but I was just starting college and had other things in my life to deal with. I wanna say the Christmas of 2009 some of their highlight videos that other people put together came across on YouTube, and I had fallen back in love with video games, so I was like "I should create an account." When I saw Vinny playing Freedom Fighters as a premium series, that's when I signed up for premium.

smellylettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I was looking for content related to the original Dragon Age and came upon the quicklook that was put out prior to release of the game. I was hooked by Mordecai's long mustache and have been a dedicated content consumer ever since. Best critical/entertainment media outlet by far. Keep up the great work!

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My husband.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The summer of the year I graduated high school my friend told me about the Persona 4 Endurance run. I didn't plan to check it out but we were hanging the next day and he showed me the mysterious fox episode and I was hooked ever since.

Ithryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was looking for discussions about the ending of "Braid", and the GB forums were the first page I saw. Stayed for the community and then found the podcast and in particular the game of the year discussions.

I could not believe I could listen to people talk about videogames for hours, such a revelation. No such thing as a culture of podcast from where I'm from (Mexico)

Now I listen podcast about everything from science to films, but GB will always be the best and my first :3.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Found the Persona 4 endurance run and that was that.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Sdoots

I used to frequent one of the dumb offshoot boards on GameFAQs when I was a kid, and from there I went on to frequent an offshoot site based around one of those boards. From that, I would find out about 4chan, and I ended up using /v/ for years.

Eventually, there was a thread for...something, I can't remember what. Videos of dumb stuff. Quick Look for Leisure Suit Larry was posted.

As for /v/, when Max Payne 3 was coming out I stopped going to keep myself safe from spoilers and I just never looked at it again. Something Awful is fine for my dumb shit quota, and Giant Bomb fills my everything else quota (and a good dose of dumb shit, too.)

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had just finished Persona 3 back around 2008 when a friend on twitter asked if I'd checked out the Persona 4 Endurance Run. Started playing the game and watching the videos here at the same time and got hooked, then gradually started watching more and more of Giant Bomb's content.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I watched Jeff/Ryan at Gamespot, when he got fired it got so loud so I heard about Giantbomb from that.

TalkingCrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TalkingCrow

Well i first heard of it from the K&L disaster but never really got into it till i heard/saw extremely funny vids on youtube two years ago from the bombcast, upf, etc. and started following them till Dan and Jason came along and i related to Dan a lot and he is funny so i decided to go premium.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the 1up shows was talking about how the guys at Jeff's new site Giant Bomb drink and party at their new office bar. So I checked it out. Here I am.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Someone link the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood quick look in the comments of a joystiq (rip) article in 2009. Started watching the endurance run and finally created a account late 2009

balrogsbain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By balrogsbain

when they found the couch and had to set a bug bomb off in the office and Jeff running back in three times to fix the alarms

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My brother showed me the Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1 QL because he knew how much I loved the books. Never looked back.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I joined Gamespot in 2003, Jeff was fired in 2007, and I heard about Arrow Pointing Down in 2008. I followed APD until Giant Bomb was launched. I signed up pretty much day one I think.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

One day, a day like every other day, I was googling "naked cartoon pussy" and that search led me here.

Real answer: I heard that they were doing Deadly Premonition endurance run and got hooked on that - also site had really nice extra feature of achievement tracking and quests.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I visited Gamespot as a kid when I had the internet to do so and remember reading Brad and Jeff's name but I had no idea about GB until I got into various podcasts on Itunes and stumbled in here, I was going to RoosterTeeth for online video game stuff but when they started growing past a dozen people it lost the personality for me...so here I am

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was on 4chan the day they were doing the first all day Kinect stream and it was randomly posted on 4chan so I decided to give it a try as I love watching people play games(despite most streamers/lpers being terrible and annoying) and was interested in seeing the clusterfuck that was Kinect.

Anyway tuned in to see the stream, saw rider meet horse, horse meet rider and was hooked.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cerberus3dog

Kotaku ran a story about Ryan Davis leaving Gamespot. I remember the article header was a big picture of him in aviators with a big handlebar mustache. Followed that to finding out about Jeff Gerstmann and Arrow Pointing Down. The rest is history.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By Heartagram

I was watching x-play and this guy called Jeff Gerstmann came on talking about the whole getting fired thing. I figured what the hell I need a new game podcast. I then heard ryan and jeff talking about Gatorade Tiger and was hooked. This is and will always be my favorite games site. They make me happy when I have nothing to look forward to in a day. Gotta love the duders at this website.