Have you ever quit a video game because you can't beat it?

• 76 results
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By Justin258

...I couldn't finish Sekiro.

I was terrible at parrying in Dark Souls, so I didn't do it. I got somewhat OK in it but couldn't do any better. I had the same problem in Bloodborne. I spent a dozen hours in both Bloodborne and Sekiro trying to get good at their more focused mechanics and the parrying just never worked right for me.

Farosan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Farosan

Actually I felt like a loser when started playing CS:GO a couple of years before. I couldn't beat a guy with awful grenade, he was just waiting for me at the corner. I still feel ashamed and I just want to kick his ass! I'm planning to do it in a couple of days.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -1

Yep!

Got to the end of Dragon Quest: Origins and could not beat it to save my life, end up throwing in the towel. The same goes for Resident Evil: Revelations. Last boss of the game, could not finish it.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Plenty of times as a kid, unless I could find codes for my Game Genie / Game Shark.

As an adult, only Sekiro that I can recall. Any other game I didn't finish was more out of boredom or just feeling like I'd got all I wanted out of it.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caska said:

Windwaker and Bravely Default are the ones that stand out the most for me. Basically whenever a game asks me to repeat a million things right before the ending... It's usually because when I'm nearing the end of most games I'm also getting a bit bored of them at that point too unless things are really ramping up towards a climax.

That's interesting. I saw the repeat boss fights in Bravely Default as really interesting because they challenged you combine your knowledge of bosses together for certain battles. Now instead of 1v4 fights of your party against the bosses it would eventually turn into 4v4 fights with equal footing. Having all the mages party together against you and using tactics that felt incredibly unfair (debuffing your fire resistance to a minimum and the other 3 mages just cast their best fire spells) was so thrilling to beat once you figured out a strategy.

As for this topic: not sure if I'd say I skipped it because it was "difficult" but I stopped playing Darkest Dungeon because it actually just stressed me out too much with each dungeon dive. Don't get me wrong I think that game is AMAZING, just I can't play it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I quit Crypt of the Necrodancer because I was very angry at the sudden shift of gameplay at the final boss and thought that was a real dick move.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy XIII-2, i was enjoying the game up to the part towards the end where you find out whether you've leveled things up enough to keep making any progress, despite finding every combat challenge relatively easy up to that point suddenly i was unable to continue, so i just watched the ending on youtube.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The second to last boss in Axiom Verge comes to mind. The game had already started to become close to being more annyoing than fun at that point and the boss just ruined me. The story wasn’t anything amazing, so I don’t really have any motivation, like seeing the conclusion of it, to ever go back.

I’d say Hollow Knight as a more recent example, but I might still come back to it. That Hornet fight did make me quit it though and that was several weeks ago.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yes, occasionally.

The last example I can remember is Zone of the Enders 2, where one of the final bosses is considerably harder than whatever the game throws at you before. I spend over an hour retrying the same encounter again and again. Also, there was option to lower the difficulty while midgame so, given the option between putting it to rest or restarting the game from the beginning in a lower difficult, it wasn't a hard decision.

Mr_Ole_Blue629

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FFXIII-3 lightning returns. I absolutely hate this game and its time mechanic. Certain parts of the main quest I have to wait for a specific time to continue, so what do I do? I can't wait around since I am wasting an opportunity doing other quests and getting stronger, but I can't just do one quest at a time since it's not efficient.

Not all quests are simple, some are more involved. I can't plan it the way I like it so I'm rushing through everything trying to beat the clock. Unfortunately I lost track of time and missed my queue to continue on the quest so now I have to spend another day for another chance. I really pulled my hair out because of this game. I hate it so much that I made it to the final boss where I got my rear handed to me multiple times. I guess I wasn't strong enough and good enough to beat it. I put it away and told myself I will come back to it later, but I never did.

I don't regret it at all.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Sekiro. After 2 or 3 tries with the last boss I watched a youtube video just to see how this fight is supposed to go. When I saw the 3 phases I knew I couldn't do it. I tried again a few times just to be sure and then I gave up. I really didn't want to lose my time on this after all the bullshits I had already gone through with this game. I just went back playing Dark Souls 2 after that.

I dislike Sekiro so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a lot of games I gave up on when I was younger but in most cases I finished them years later.

Ninja Gaiden, Demon's Souls, Maximo (never finished), Men In Black (never finished) are the ones that come immediately to mind. I don't think there's been a game I've really given up on since Demon's Souls but I take regular breaks for harder games if needed.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Nah, there’s no game I can’t beat. Sometimes I quit games because I get bored, but I could totally beat them if I felt like it

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I know this is an old thread but since Ninja Gaiden/Black is one of my favourite games I feel the need to bring up that the way that game handled difficulties felt very fair to me. Each increment had, slightly less potions, different items, different enemies, they dealt more damage etc. I actually think it put much more effort into it than most games do. I'll agree that Ninja Gaiden 2 is pretty bullshit with it's projectiles on higher difficulties though.

Anyway, for me it's typically genres i'm bad at but still enjoy. I think i've said this in a similar thread but XCOM 2 kicked the shit out of me pretty early on and I never came back. Thankfully I just borrowed the game from a friend so I wasnt too annoyed that I had to give up.

GamerCat108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not at all and i am a excessive gamer i have played thousands of titles and beaten them all on there original consoles including (im only saying a few) Mario 3, Cuphead, Every legend of zelda title, Fire Emblem, Fallout, Smash Ultimate (100% completion) and FF7 just to list a few

Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dantes Inferno......

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, constantly lol. I regularly hit walls and fall of games completely. Bloodborne is a good example, got the boss on the bridge and fell off. I know I can spend time grinding to power up, practicing, yadda yadda, but I often don't if a game isn't grabbing me or respecting my time.

Anyone saying they never quit videogames is a cop, and I don't trust you.

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do bots dig up threads so much? I don't get it. They're not even advertising anything most of the time.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am more or less there with Sekiro, not because I can't beat it but it just wore out its welcome with Owl. . I just sorta don't care enough to go back to it, which is a weird thing for me to say about a From Soft game, when I've platinumed two of them.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna toss in one more mention for Sekiro. As @north6 said, it's not that I couldn't beat it. I don't remember exactly how far I got ( I think around 3/4 of the way through?), but I do distinctly remember beating that fuckin ape for a second time and immediately realizing that I just wasn't having fun anymore. I've beaten every other Soulsbourne game, some multiple times, and I enjoy the gameplay and aesthetics of Sekiro, but I found the bosses and encounter design to just be draining after a point. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday, but for the time being, I've had my fill of it.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@doombot13: I've seen bots get threads going & after a few days editing their post to include a bunch of links. Perhaps that's the idea?

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

I quit a lot of games in my early gaming life, with the C64 and original Nintendo (NES), because I could not make any progress. I wasn't that focused on actually beating anything in those days though, just to experience the gameplay.

Today I rarely quit games because I can't make progress, instead I quit because I don't like the mechanics (GoW 2018), get bored by it (Dark Souls), or if it is not at all what I expected and wanted (Darksiders 3). If I have to spend many hours on grinding before being able to make progress, I'll typically quit the game. It depends on the game though. Grinding in Dark Souls was extremely boring, but I enjoyed it in The Surge, because the combat was real fun.

Pilgrimm1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most recently Sekiro and Valfaris. I didn't even get very far in Sekiro. I just got frustrated and I wasn't motivated enough to keep banging my head against the wall. I don't dislike the game, it's just not the way I play these games. Valfaris I actually liked a lot, and I got stuck on the last boss, the hydra. I fear I may have put the upgrades in the wrong weapons, and though I got to the last stage of the fight, it felt like I had to put a lot of effort into it compared to some vids I watched. I think I'll start over sometime though cause it really is an awesome game with the best soundtrack of 2019.

GamerCat108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and sure i dont quit but i dont do the 100% completion (exluding BOTW, SSBU and super mario and super luigi bros U deluxe)

Fnert_Bjerglen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've bounced off plenty of games for various reasons but the only game that I thoroughly enjoy that I stopped because of difficulty is Bloodborne. I banged my head against Rom for a while and just didn't see a pattern or learn anything from my deaths. I have beaten every boss in every Souls game but Rom just seemed like nonsense. That game remains my white whale. Maybe I'll go back some day.

LevelBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, it depends on what exactly you mean by 'beating' a game?

Certainly I've stopped playing games before getting, like, platinum. I've also stopped some games midway. Mostly, I play as long as a game holds my interest. Mostly that happens as long as the story or the characters or the mode of telling or whatever holds my interest.

To be honest, when I was younger, there may have been incidents where I didn't beat a game because I ended up beating the game, if that makes sense.

BajiBoxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last game I quit because I couldn't beat was Bionic Commando Rearmed. I got far, but I hit a wall, and eventually I figured it just wasn't going to happen. I've just got too much lag between my brain and my thumbs.