User Lists: 1

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Jackhole

Cool! How much does a flight to Australia from Ohio cost? I've got $50 and a Fuck Ryan Davis t-shirt.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@jackhole: $50 will buy you a kayak. Godspeed on your one-man Pacific voyage to PAX Australia.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By alternate

Congrats to Australian GB fans who are going ... on the other hand ... sounds like a colossal waste of resources and I can only imagine the bitching a week plus of zero content is going to cause.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AMyggen

@alternate said:

Congrats to Australian GB fans who are going ... on the other hand ... sounds like a colossal waste of resources and I can only imagine the bitching a week plus of zero content is going to cause.

Not every member has to go. Btw, good job turning this into something negative from the start.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

/sigh

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Patrick is going to hate the man-sized spiders if he's tagging along. Gather your flamethrowers!

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jimmyfenix

yes!!! i look forward to giantbombs take on Australia like they did with TGS rather then the games!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Great! A week without normal content and instead a video (or two) of their (likely) completely insane panel!

I kid, of course, but it's always important to remember the downsides of what happens when they leave to go do something like this.

Either that or Dave will break into the CBSI building and just stream random PC games all week.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Oh cool.

PAX Aus is sold out, so hopefully there's a bunch of GB fans there to welcome whomever makes their way across the pond.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alternate: I like to think it will be more like a week of the crew taping their crazy hijinks down under. This will likely involve Ryan sitting on a koala, Drew riding a cassowary, and Jeff trying to retrieve his jacket after it is stolen by a kangaroo.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By alternate

@amyggen said:

@alternate said:

Not every member has to go. Btw, good job turning this into something negative from the start.

Even one video dude out in iceland crippled them for 2 weeks. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I would rather they went to TGS (not to say they will not also go to Japan).

If any do go then I hope they scrap the panel. If it is just an excuse for a couple of them to get a free holiday then I would prefer it, they deserve the perk. If they fly all that way and then trot out the same old panel they have done for the last few years then it would just be depressing.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

@alternate said:

Meh, there's always that one person, just ignore those types of people. They're usually the ones who are a waste.
Mostly waste of air.

Go Australians, have fun!

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This is awesome and terrible news..

Well it's only terrible for me because my course starts the week before PAX :( and now this..

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Animasta

@amyggen said:

@alternate said:

Even one video dude out in iceland crippled them for 2 weeks. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I would rather they went to TGS (not to say they will not salo go to Japan).

TGS is probably less relevant than PAX aus edition.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH. I just realised what I want to see from content around Pax AUS.

I just want them to go to an EBGames or JB-Hifi and walk around the game shelves looking at the prices and reacting.

They aren't anywhere near as bad as they used to be, but a guerrilla-style video would be awesome.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@alternate said:

@amyggen said:

@alternate said:

Even one video dude out in iceland crippled them for 2 weeks. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I would rather they went to TGS (not to say they will not salo go to Japan).

TGS is probably less relevant than PAX aus edition.

maybe, but if they are ever going to go then the new console year is the one to do it in. also, 8-4 hookup.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EuanDewar

I wonder if they'll have a panel and if they do if there'll be enough GB fans there to justify it.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By landon

Everyone send Jeff pictures of all the awful spiders that live there.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Milkman

@marokai said:

/sigh

Okay, I'll bite.

What's the problem?

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Just send Patrick and Drew. Awesomeness ensues.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great! A week without normal content and instead a video (or two) of their (likely) completely insane panel!

I kid, of course, but it's always important to remember the downsides of what happens when they leave to go do something like this.

Either that or Dave will break into the CBSI building and just stream random PC games all week.

Or maybe week long Rorie stream? Just a constant stream of puppies.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Up the ante and eat a Kangaroo head this time! (is that even legal?)

Q: Why do the guys hate their own site so much? Stuff is always announced via another means be it Twitter or Tumblr, seems odd.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By coakroach

FUCK. WHY DIDNT I GET A TICKET.

FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: I guess I shouldn't be so immediately down on the idea, so I'll try to give it the benefit of the doubt, but IMO their event coverage in general tends to be hit or miss, and their foreign trips rarely seem to justify the time and resources spent. I freely admit that I'm not anywhere near the majority on this; I personally don't even like the way they do E3 podcasts, since I think a lot of people forget most of the runtime on those are boring or awkward conversations, so I'm in my own odd little group, but just from a return-on-investment perspective, the content acquired from events and foreign trips tend to be dramatically less than what they talk them up to being.

Brad's trip to South Korea was pitched as a way to get an interesting series of videos from SK and their gaming culture, and what we got were two videos, totaling something around ~40 minutes. Iceland supposedly had a dozen+ hours of video and multiple cameras, but the main video was a heavily edited 18 minute video, with an interview video of people who weren't involved with the game they ostensibly went to cover. The PAX-GDC combo in the early goings of every years tends to reliably be a three-week long drought of regular content with a usually good panel from PAX, and rarely anything productive from a site-perspective from GDC.

Giant Bomb isn't Gamespot, which is a much larger and less personality driven website that can afford to dispatch various correspondents around the world when necessary for news coverage. The meat and potatoes of this site are those dudes in the office, playing games on video. As attractive as the idea of "Giant Bomb traveling around the world!" always sounds in the abstract, the realities of what it does to regularly scheduled content is a bummer and I don't personally feel is worth the sacrifice.

Granted, there's totally the possibility that this could be a fantastic idea that will result in all kinds of wacky hijinks and multiple videos and podcasts. I totally love the idea @selfconfessedcynic mentioned of them going to game stores in Australia and just generally poking around the gaming culture there, but this all just seems like a hastily smacked together idea they ran by someone at CBSi hot off the positive reception they got from the Iceland "travel log" video. This could totally end up being an idea that will result in a bunch of fun content for the site.. but it seems far more likely that this will just damage regular content production for a week or two and have a 19 minute expertly edited video of all the food they ate, instead.

Please. Be kind to me.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Q: Why do the guys hate their own site so much? Stuff is always announced via another means be it Twitter or Tumblr, seems odd.

I presume it will be officially announced this week?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@razielcuts said:

I presume it will be officially announced this week?

He posted around the time they record the podcast - so maybe it will come up.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Vinny_Says

Those TGS podcasts were awesome. I hope they do something similar in Australia.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai: I wouldn't expect more than an archived panel and maybe some interviews from this trip either, to be honest. Though I guess it's possible they could do some more intensive coverage.

But more importantly, I don't think the trip is about that. It's a chance for them to meet up with Australian fans who otherwise would never be able to meet them otherwise. That opportunity will probably make a whole lot of Australian fans really happy. I don't really mind the gap in content if it's for a good reason.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai:

In a lot of ways, I agree with you.

I mean, having relistened to a lot of their E3 podcasts in the buildup to the latest electronic triple, they've really gone sideways the last couple of years in terms of actually being entertaining. Their best E3 (IMO) was the freaking 2010 one where they sat in a crappy flat with one, maybe two guests and rapped about what they actually saw at the show, with Jeff rolling around in a wheelchair all the while (also: Kinect ponchos). That's where a lot of the classic memes were born including the general ire for Leigh Alexander, <> and more.

They have since moved on to being highly guests focussed, generally having people on the show who are cool, but add very little to the overall conversation and barely ever talk about what is actually AT THE SHOW. Heck, I'm part of a growing minority which thinks pretty much all of the best content by the guys was made in that 2010-ish era - well, except the Bioforge stuff as of late. Then again, sometimes you get legitimately cool insight into the dev process (especially when Jaffe or a famous Indie dev is on).

Anyway.

That said, I can't help but be excited for them to come to my home country. I am not, however, expecting a deluge of content - as sad as that is for me to say - so I definitely hear the guys speaking against this.

Hopefully Jeff et al hear these concerns and up the ante for this trip.

wariomona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really didn't think something like this could sell out in Australia but I guess I was wrong. I would have gone too...

cynicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm an Australian. Got a PAX weekend pass.

Totally excited about this, I'm gonna hug the shit outta Brad...

...with spiders.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah, I forgot!

Gamespot Australia is totally here, so maybe the guys going will have some support from a production standpoint!

Silver linings!

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let us celebrate by the playing of the national anthem.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great idea, could use it as a stopping point for Jeffs trip to Japan. Ozzys are some of the funniest people in the world and that's coming from a kiwi. You guys will have a blast.

People seem to underestimate how many people listen to the Giant Bombcast, it's a few hundred thousand each week, they got fans all around the world.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

At least Ryan can now try out non-domestic anonymous breast milk.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

@marokai: I wouldn't expect more than an archived panel and maybe some interviews from this trip either, to be honest. Though I guess it's possible they could do some more intensive coverage.

But more importantly, I don't think the trip is about that. It's a chance for them to meet up with Australian fans who otherwise would never be able to meet them otherwise. That opportunity will probably make a whole lot of Australian fans really happy. I don't really mind the gap in content if it's for a good reason.

Oh no's a week missing of a few quick looks, all the contents. I would take no content if that meant a Drew Travel Doco every 2 weeks.

radecau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, great to see them coming out to Australia. Even if there is a content dip how much else is actually happening then in games anyway? Its a month or so after e3 with a while before the new consoles come, it's not like there will be a hell of a lot of games there not getting to cover because of it.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Holy Shit. I got my tickets a few months ago, and just got my GB hoodie after renewing my membership. Fucking aye, this is going to be awesome, I've got to meet vinny.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By JJWeatherman

Excellent. This could be my chance to travel down under and promptly die of a mysterious, poisonous nibble of my flesh.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Andorski

RIP Giant Bomb. I hope their deaths by spider are a quick and painless one.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they do another travel log like the one for Iceland I'll be happy.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#45  Edited By Vinchenzo

Sounds dumb.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

My first thought: "Hell yeah use that CBSi money!"

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By crusader8463

Finally we will get to see a video a Jeff fighting a Kangaroo! Well worth a week without content.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GiantBomb World Tour: The Dream Yet Lives!

Or maybe week long Rorie stream? Just a constant stream of puppies.

Maybe, but that sounds like premium content. You can't just give that away.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By cornbredx

Have they been warned about the drop bears yet?

O.o

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#50  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I am ready for that panel to be filled with Ryan eating vegimite and everyone inevitably doing really bad australian accents. Alright, sold.