• 51 results
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#51 sweep  Moderator

I hate to be "that guy" but as an educator I cannot in good conscious not say this. Depression is not something that is "cured." It is something that is with you and something you manage with a set of coping mechanisms that you develop through therapy and with the help of a trained medical professional. While video games can help you with the symptoms and provide critical coping strategies, they are NOT a replacement for real quality medical care.

Finally, if you or someone you know develop or manifest thoughts of self-harm or worthlessness, call a hotline.

Several years later, still the best reply in this thread.

I think the "do some exercise" response is often trotted out and it's generally a pretty uninformed and useless response to genuine depression. This feels like saying "just don't go to the bar" to an alcoholic; It completely fails to appreciate or empathize with the mentality of someone who is dealing with a psychological disease, and there is no golden bullet solution. Often the best resolution a person can hope for is the "work in progress" therapy approach where trauma is managed, and never resolved. That's the reality, and it is harsh.

When it comes to videogames I think the best advice is to accept the fact that sometimes the best thing you can do is take a break. Rather than bouncing from game to game in a cycle of disappointment because none of them can fix your problem, set yourself a time limit; give yourself a week where you don't play videogames. You might find that gives you the clarity and perspective to come back invigorated. Or you might find that videogames were actually holding you back and that going cold-turkey has allowed you to mentally progress in a direction you hadn't considered before. If you do what you've always done, you'll get the results you've always gotten. So fuck it, right? Try something new.

Sometimes what you really need is time, and space, and help. Videogames can provide that in some contexts, but in others they can make things a lot worse. A sure sign of maturity and self-awareness is knowing when you need to take a break, and then taking it.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Ben_H
@sweep said:
@zombiepie said:

I hate to be "that guy" but as an educator I cannot in good conscious not say this. Depression is not something that is "cured." It is something that is with you and something you manage with a set of coping mechanisms that you develop through therapy and with the help of a trained medical professional. While video games can help you with the symptoms and provide critical coping strategies, they are NOT a replacement for real quality medical care.

Finally, if you or someone you know develop or manifest thoughts of self-harm or worthlessness, call a hotline.

Several years later, still the best reply in this thread.

I think the "do some exercise" response is often trotted out and it's generally a pretty uninformed and useless response to genuine depression. This feels like saying "just don't go to the bar" to an alcoholic; It completely fails to appreciate or empathize with the mentality of someone who is dealing with a psychological disease, and there is no golden bullet solution. Often the best resolution a person can hope for is the "work in progress" therapy approach where trauma is managed, and never resolved. That's the reality, and it is harsh.

100%. I've had depression problems for nearly 20 years. Any advice that amounts to "do this thing" or a set of things and somehow that will magically help is not only not helpful, but is actively harmful to a lot of people with depression. It's also borderline disrespectful. Do people really think that depressed people don't think of this stuff or haven't tried it? I work out five days a week and still have depression problems. I had one of my worst depressive episodes when I was at a healthy weight/body composition, was training to run marathons, and was in the best shape of my life. Can exercise help with certain symptoms? Sure. But it's not a magic trick that you do and suddenly you're brain isn't broken. Same with any other trivial suggestion.

There's a post in this thread where the person is speaking from authority and it's extremely clear they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Suggesting people with bad depression get more sleep, socialize more, keep an active journal, read more books, or focus on particular fitness goals completely misses the forest for the trees. If someone has bad enough depression, beginning an exercise regiment or picking and starting a book in itself is a huge challenge. Casually telling them to read daily and take notes is just... no. Same with telling someone to get more sleep. A lot of people with depression have sleep problems or insomnia. They can't just magically get two more hours of sleep if they can't fall or stay asleep in the first place. If they could they would have done that already. People with depression aren't stupid just because their brains don't cooperate. Don't talk to them like they are.

himbovoorhees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By himbovoorhees

I know this thread is quite old but I'm gonna put some suggestions anyway for people finding it later who might benefit. OP, I hope things are looking up for you these days and that life is treating you better.

---

I'm a sucker for Stardew Valley, if you're into farming sims and haven't already sank part of your life into it. I find the repetitive and cheery gameplay to be relaxing, but it's also kind of like stimming for me. It's why I really fall into games like Etrian Odyssey. Is it challenging? Yeah, but I can lose myself in level grinding and exploration and tend not to be too upset if I die because it's just part of the experience (and the re-releases are more forgiving of it.)

You're an adult and I'm not going ad nauseum repeat common sense information to you that would be better to hear from a therapist, plus others have covered the basics better than I could. But games are absolutely a wonderful way to pass the time when you're down and just need something to occupy that empty space in your brain that depression is trying to fill with Bad Things. Just because they aren't a "cure" doesn't mean they can't be a valuable tool for keeping yourself occupied so you're not like, sleeping 18 hours a day or laying on the floor (all personal experiences of mine).

Another good choice is... are there any favorite games that just make you feel good but don't require TOO much thought to play? There's nothing wrong with replaying a game for the nth time, especially if it brings back more positive memories and gives you some nice warm feelings. I'm good for a periodic replay of Chrono Trigger every few years because I could play that game on autopilot but it still makes me happy.