Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matt

No Caption Provided

About the Giant Bomb team

This will be the 8th year of the Giant Bomb team participating in Extra-life. Last year was a big one for us. We passed $1,000,000 raised in lifetime donations! That's a huge achievement but why stop there? Can't stop won't stop doing it for the kids.

Getting Involved

Let’s face it. Most of us are playing video games for a disgusting amount of time already. It may as well be for a good cause AND IT’S SO EASY TO JOIN! Head over to https://www.extra-life.org where you can join the team during the account sign-up process or if you already have an account go to the team page (https://www.extra-life.org/team/giantbomb) and join there.

How do I get people to give me money for the kids?

This is the hardest part but also the most rewarding. Live streams are a great way to encourage donations. If you’re going to stream do everything you can to make it a quality production. We’re talking shiny graphics, lower thirds with a donation link, code giveaways, donations alerts, etc.

Finding a theme for your stream helps a bunch. It gives you a goal to focus on and something for your viewers to rally behind. Maybe you’re going to play all of the Halo games or 24 hours of Dota 2 because you like good video games.

I'm a busy person. I don't have time to play video games!

No worries friend you can still help. Check out the roster of team Giant Bomb and donate to someone you like the look of.

I’ve joined the Giant Bomb team. What now?

This most important part of Extra-Life is the build up to November 3rd. Use all that time to spread the word and plan your live stream. Once you’ve signed up post the link to your donation page and any live streams you may be doing in this thread. If you have any questions post them here and I’ll try to help out. This really is a community effort.

FAQ

Q: What if I can’t commit to that date or the entire time?

A: The idea and spirit of Extra Life is that everyone pulls together at the same time, but we know that’s not going to be possible for everyone. Don’t let a commitment on the 3rd stop you from joining. Just do what you can and make up the game time later. What matters most is the time you put in BEFORE the event to raise money for these kids.

Q: What if I can’t finish the full 24 hours due to commitments or exhaustion?

A: If you won’t be able to finish the whole thing, you can make up the remaining hours later. It’s all on the honour system and what really matters is that we’re all raising money for a great cause. Your sponsors should know they are supporting the cause whether you crash on hour 18 or not.

Q: How is the money collected? Where does it go?

A: Credit card donations may be made on a participant's fundraising page. Cash and check donations will be collected by participants and submitted to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. All funds will be disbursed directly to the hospital selected during registration.

DirtyBirdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By DirtyBirdy

Here is a link to Ian Kelly's awesome Extra-Life overlay, the same one the GB staff uses: http://extralife-nodecg.webhook.org/.

Credit for the artwork on the overlay goes to the amazing @aurahack!

Have fun, and remember... can't stop won't stop, for the kids!

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#4 rmanthorp  Moderator

FOR THE KIDS!

soulmanim3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@dirtybirdy: Are there instructions for getting Ian's overlays up and running out there that could be included here? Is this sticky worthy since we're < 60 days out? For the kids!

DirtyBirdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulmanim3 said:

@dirtybirdy: Are there instructions for getting Ian's overlays up and running out there that could be included here? Is this sticky worthy since we're < 60 days out? For the kids!

Aha!! I found the old response Ian made about the stream overlay. Here is a much better link which includes instructions. I haven't tested anything out so I can't vouch for what's on that page, but it looks like the right stuff:

http://extralife-nodecg.webhook.org/

soulmanim3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dirtybirdy: Nice! You rock!

Here are are the 8 steps in the link. Ian's instructions are great and the link is still live! Also, Ian is still a genius.

Instructions on Use

1. Extract the files

2. In the extracted folder run "run.bat" (Windows) or "run.command" (Mac OSX)

3. This will launch a command line window, on the first launch it will install some dependencies (this can take some time), and once its finished installing will launch the control panel in your browser

4. In the control panel set your preferred settings. The most important are your ExtraLife ID and ExtraLife Team ID (optional). These are the ID's in your ExtraLife Participant page. (i.e. http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=169398 -> ID is 169398)

5. To access the templates you can either click on the info icon on any of the boxes to find a link or navigate to here

6. From this list of templates find which you want to include on your stream (On several of them the text may be white on a white background, appearing to be invisible, its really there)

7. Finally add these templates to your XSplit/OBS Scenes. You can do this through a Webpage Source on XSplit, or by using the CLR Browser plugin for OBS.

8. You're done

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thatbendorf
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

For the kids!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for ramblesnonsense
ramblesnonsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By ramblesnonsense
riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#14  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

I'll be joining in and tallying up everyone into a handy chart once more people join in. Make sure you include when and what your playing once you've figured out what your going to do. As for me I'll be playing a bunch of Gamecube games on Nov 3rd and 4th. 48 games in 24 hours. Since I own 48 Gamecube games why not play them all? I'll be playing them between 3PM EST- 3AM EST on Nov 3rd and then 10AM EST-10PM EST on Nov 4th.

Extra Life link: http://extra-life.org/participant/riostarwind

Twitch link https://www.twitch.tv/riostarwind

GCN List : https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/riostarwind/lists/gamecube-collection/80230/

zolloz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

DirtyBirdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DirtyBirdy

I'll be streaming on Saturday, 20 October 2018 from 10am until 4am on Sunday (18 hours).

Donation page: http://tinyurl.com/hamlocks

Mixer page: https://mixer.com/hamlocks

Games: Destiny 2 Raids, Jackbox Party Pack, Dead Cells, Yakuza 0

Thank you @riostarwind for aggregating everyone's info again this year!

We raised $1430 for the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Hell yeah!!!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Looking forward to seeing what everyone does. Good luck!

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By big_denim

Is it possible to switch teams (even if I'm the captain)? My wife and I started a 'team' a few years back, but methinks I'll want to join team Giant Bomb this year.

I'll be streaming on November 3rd starting at 5am and hopefully going 'til 5am on November 4th.

I have hundreds of games to choose from so I'm usually open to taking requests, playing party games with viewers, and just having a good time. If anyone has any interest in doing some online stuff together let me know! I usually try to squeeze a few Titanfall 2 matches in every year :)

Cheers and good luck everyone!

Streaming at: https://www.twitch.tv/cugabuh

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

BOOM:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for ramblesnonsense
ramblesnonsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And yet again, this is the might we turn the clocks back for daylight savings in the countries that do that....

25 hour streams here we go!

DrM2theJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By DrM2theJ

@hamst3r: This is awesome!

Would 24 hours of Dark Souls be too much? The Dark Souls Trilogy is coming out like two weeks before this.

Note: The only souls game I've played is Demon's Souls and that was almost a decade ago.

jmkobus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally was able to plan something and get a day settled on. I can't make the main day, but I will be streaming on the 19th of Oct.

My Extra-Life page: https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=322690

My twitch: https://twitch.tv/koclobst3r

soulmanim3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By soulmanim3

I'm in this year too. I have a long list of games in a Google Sheet (HERE) each with a number. A donation get's a spin at the randomizer. I play the game it lands on.... for better or worse. Will I get to play Red Dead, or will I be stuck with real bangers like E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy or Disneyland Adventures? I'm on at 7 PM EST on 10/30. Come watch and make me play some terrible games for the kids!

My Extra Life Page: HERE

Here are the channels I'm simul-streaming on: TWITCH & MIXER & YouTube (letsplaypsx). Thinking of streaming just audio to Mixlr for poops & giggles....

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

panicswitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By panicswitch
DirtyBirdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panicswitch: I tested the overlay and it pulls in and displays everything fine.

panicswitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dirtybirdy: Yeah I checked later too. Ian said on Twitter he updated the download bundle but the GitHub version was out of date. That's what I saw first. Updated my old message to remove that warning.

deliciousbees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While not strictly Extra-Life anymore, I wanted to let you guys know that Sarge Club is happening again this weekend (Oct 6th & 7th). We're going big and raising money across 150 games and two days, and we have a bunch of fun Twitch Plays experiments that'll be going on like Twitch Plays Sega CD and Arcade Battle Royale.

Having you all behind us for the last few years has been wonderful, and while we're raising money for AbleGamers this year instead of Extra-Life, we'd still love to have you come and watch our dumb antics.

Info, schedule, prizes, and more are all up at sarge.club.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

For the kids!

No Caption Provided

Did you make this? It's awesome.

teeknuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By teeknuts

This is somehow my 6th year taking part in Extra Life for Team GB, but I'm more excited than ever!

My donation page is here

And I'll be streaming at twitch.tv/teeknuts

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ben91891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey everybody!

This is my first year joining the team! I will be streaming 24 hours of Red Dead Redemption 2 on November 3rd!

Extra Life!

Twitch!

Good luck and see ya out there!

bpriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello again Everyone -

This is my "I lost count year". Again, we will have some DnD. Maybe even a custom adventure written just for this - based on events from Storm King's Thunder (if we don't play it on the 3rd, we will do it again as a fund raising event in the very near future). Like many others there will be RDR2, Destiny 2, Forza, and I will start, as always, with another complete run of Shadow Complex.

Extra Life - https://www.extra-life.org/participant/brad

Twitch! - https://www.twitch.tv/2idiotgamers

and....god forbid I use it for some Influence - Mixer - https://mixer.com/rorshac

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By big_denim

It's a real shame Hitman 2 is coming out on 11/13 and not 11/3 :(

In other news, at $235 raised, I'm getting close to breaking oast my prior years' donations! I know it's not a lot, but for someone that doesn't have a huge following on social media outlets it means a lot to me. Giant Bomb team is doing great too, with still a few more weeks to go! Woo!

Jericho15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jericho15
Locclo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Locclo

Oh hey, I suppose I should post here since I'm planning on doing this. This'll be my second year doing this, first time doing it on the Giant Bomb team.

Extra Life page

Twitch page

This year I decided I would take a page out of Alex's book and do a musical stream. Since I'm crap on drums, however, I'm doing 24 hours of Clone Hero, which is a PC-based Guitar Hero/Rock Band clone (though it only supports guitar, unfortunately). I recently finished putting together my setlists, so now I'm just working on practicing some of the tougher songs before game day. If you want to watch me stream, I'm usually on later at night because of my work schedule, typically around 9 PM Central time (7 Pacific, 10 Eastern).

Edit: oh, and since I haven’t had a chance to update my donation page yet, I will be streaming 24 hours on November 3rd, going from 10 AM to 10 AM on Sunday.

kekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kekon
No Caption Provided

Proud to say that me and my friends are gonna be participating for our 5th year in this exciting fundraising event! This year we're gonna be speedrunning our favorite games over the course of 24hrs.

Aside from speedrunning, we're also gonna be doing silly stuff on the side: Cooking food, playing fighting games, playing with incentives (bonus bosses, singing, hard mode, etc).

Games
Kingdom Hearts 1
Kingdom Hearts 2
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil Outbreak
Castlevania SoTN
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3

It ain't gonna be impressive perfect runs but it's gonna be our way to pass the time, tune in when you can.
This is gonna be on November 2nd, the Friday everyone can meet up

Extra-Life

The Twitch Link

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JasonMasters

Year five for me! 12 hours on Saturday and 12 hours on Sunday!

EXTRA LIFE

TWITCH

Still trying to figure out what to do. I was think of maybe doing a Destiny Raid world tour...or I might just play Diablo 1...

I also have a bunch of games to give away. Anyone know how to set up giveaways?