• 59 results
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

I have a huge collection of video game magazines, I'm in the process of fully tidying up my room and throwing a bunch of stuff out. I seem to have far to many of them, most notably my Nintendo Magazine collection, the one with Mario's face on the spine so that when there in the right order it shows his full face. While impressive I'm never going to read any of them again. So if you buy magazines, do you like throw it away once your done with it, like you would a newspaper, or do you have a huge stack in your wardrobe?

v2xJFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By v2xJFresh

Not a huge stack yet, but the magazines I do have I haven't thrown away, this is the case for any magazine i buy. not really sure why

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Vexxan

They remain well sorted in my parents' house. When I'm there I pick them up once in a while, especially the older ones are well-memorized in my brain.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hizang

I've reccently started to get PS3 and Xbox 360 official mag aswell as Empire and Gay Times, this as well as weekly comics fills up space quickly. So I was thinking of going through a system where I buy a copy of them all, put them on my coffe table, for a month, and when the new one comes out I'll replace that one with the new one.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I have all but one issue of PC Gamer from the first issue to 2005. Some heavy God damned shit. Fun read about Duke Nukem Forever though. :)

I don't buy magazines anymore though. Just don't get any new information any more.

wormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By wormz

Yeah I keep all of them, I've subsribed one magazine for almost 18 years so I got a bunch.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hizang

I just threw them all out, I feel clensed.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By harinosho

i keep mine.. still gotmy very first local video game magazine (N.A.G - new age gaming) issue at home.. 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By Jeust

I keep some of mine. I had a huge collection, but now I only keep the few I feel I'm going to read.  

Although I have a pile of old scientific magazines. ^^;

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By 234r2we232

I recently went through my garage and found a very large bag of them. Mostly Nintendo magazines, but among them I found Issue 1 of the Official Dreamcast magazine. I wonder if it's worth anything P:

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BombKareshi

I'm not subscribed to any magazines, but I have a bunch of old ones from the 16-bit era that my dad was gonna throw out. I guess I value them in some sentimental way. I'll probably get rid of them eventually, when space becomes a problem.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

About 10 years of PC Gamers, I have no desire to get rid of any. I enjoy looking back at the first Half Life review or the previews for Daikatana.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I keep them all, a piece of gaming history within those pages that in a few years time I'll look back and say "I remember that game".

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a ton; I'm actually looking to sell them. No room. I have nearly every EGM from 1999 to their demise and a boatload of Game Informers and Nintendo Powers. I store them in a filling cabinet that is taking up quite a hitch of space in my closet.

I wouldn't say I collect them, I just think there's not much of a market for old gaming magazines, but I might be truly mistaken.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Joker369

I only keep the special edition issues such as game of the year

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By Danteveli

There is a stack laying in many places of my home that I have forgotten about. I would throw them out but I'm too lazy.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karl_Boss

Yeah. Either on my bookshelf or in boxes.
Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Of course I do.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JazGalaxy
@Hizang said:
I have a huge collection of video game magazines, I'm in the process of fully tidying up my room and throwing a bunch of stuff out. I seem to have far to many of them, most notably my Nintendo Magazine collection, the one with Mario's face on the spine so that when there in the right order it shows his full face. While impressive I'm never going to read any of them again. So if you buy magazines, do you like throw it away once your done with it, like you would a newspaper, or do you have a huge stack in your wardrobe?
I don't know how old you are, but you might be suprised how much you'll grow to love to go back and look at them. 

I had to throw a lot of mine away, but there are a lot of really interesting gaming artifacts that come in handy at times. 

I remember showing a guy a preview of the Dragon Ball Z NES game in the very first issue of Nintnedo Power. He didn't know the series was that old. 

I remember showing a guy an EGM from back in the days where the magazine was over an inch thick. (I MISS those days...) 

I remember using one to prove to someone that N64 games used to be almost $100. 

I remember using one to prove to someone fairly recently that the media and the gaming culture at large HATED Quake 1 when it was released and even had cover stories about how it was terrible and Id was done with. THen about 3 months later, after they played it some more, it became the critical darling and favored in front of Duke Nukem who was the previous king of FPS games. 

So... I'd say keep them. OR give htem to me.
birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By birchman

I have some old ones lying around. Pretty fun to take a glance at the past.

domar_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By domar_dk

Indeed I do. I've kept every magazine I've ever got my hands on since 1993. Mostly Danish magazines but got some from the UK and Germany as well.
Progman9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Progman9000

I started a tradition when I was very young to keep every single issue of Nintendo Power.  I have a feeling that I'll keep that up until the magazine goes belly up, online only, or I get married, whichever comes first.  Since Future US bought them and a lot of the old crew left, it's gotten pretty lame.  Also having to cover not awesome Wii games as though they look great probably doesn't make their job any easier.

That's the only game magazine I keep though.  I tossed my few EGMs and Game Informers out a couple years back.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

When I had a Game Informer subscription, they would be lying around. Got rid of all of them when I moved out of the house.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hizang
@JazGalaxy I'm 19, and I sorta have an iPhone, which does all of that.
WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By WickedCobra03

Only the notable or good ones. Like I used to get Gamepro, EGM, Playstation Mag, Nintendo Power and PC gamer throughout the years at different times, and I really only kept like maybe 2 magazines a year. Most got thrown.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hot_Karl

Nah, but I keep other, raunchier, dirtier old magazines IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By striderno9

Oh man I had this box of magazines. I had a collection of about 900 magazines from all over, Gamefan, Gamer's Republic, Next Gen, PSM, Game Players, Official Dreamcast, EGM, the list goes on. I moved out thinking I could use my attic for storage and my mothers threw them out. I was a bit crushed. I was able to go into the dumpster and gather a few from every magazine but that only turned out to be like 10 or so. These days I collection Edge, Game Informer, and Retro Gamer.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShockD

Yeah, I still keep some from 2003. Games were old but gold.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JazGalaxy
@Hizang said:
@JazGalaxy I'm 19, and I sorta have an iPhone, which does all of that.
Not as well as you'd think. that's why I had to go back to the magazines to prove all that stuff. He was of the opinion that since he couldn't find proof of it on the inernet, it didn't happen...
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#30  Edited By Little_Socrates

Once the games I care about in a magazine are all out and I've played them, I tend to get rid of them. But I still have the LA Noire Game Informer (the first of that great new cover design, I think!)

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By sopranosfan

No, I wish I had the room and organization to do so but I just can't find a good place to keep old magazines.  Everytime I try I always find something that needs the space more or they end up in the way.  I usually have the last 3-6 months of Game Informer and Playstation magazine laying around.

Tacoboy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Tacoboy1986

I have a huge collection of Game Informer magazines that I've been collecting for 10+ years. Right now they're just sitting in my room, I've been meaning to store them properly. I do glance through them every now and then when a cover catches my eye.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By duskvamp

I've got stacks of magazines, I can't bring myself to through them away.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#34  Edited By sammo21

At one point I had all of my EGMs. The collection I had in good condition went from a few issues before the Dreamcast launch all the way to about a year after the PS3 launch.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By MysteriousBob

Haven't kept a single one. I throw them out as soon as I'm done reading them. That is I did, I haven't read one in about 10 years. I have the internet.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#36  Edited By Grumbel
@Hizang said:
So if you buy magazines, do you like throw it away once your done with it, like you would a newspaper, or do you have a huge stack in your wardrobe?
If the magazines are in bad conditions and are available online: throw them away, no big loss.
If they are in good conditions and are available online: give them to some collector if you no longer need them.
If they are not available online and are rare: keep them, scan them or give them to somebody who would, would be sad to see a bunch of video game history go.

For German magazines there is http://www.kultpower.de/ which has a lot of stuff archived already.
Paulrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By Paulrus

I have a box full of Gamepros ranging from 2000 to I think 2007.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Hellstrom said:
What are these things you call "Magazines"?
Paper Internet.
shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By shinigami420

no

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cookiemonster

Yeah, only because I can't be arsed to throw them out.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By frytup

I mostly do digital-only subscriptions these days, but I still get a couple of printed mags.

After moving a few times, I've learned to only keep things I actually need. Magazines go into the recycling bin as soon as I'm done reading them.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SomeJerk

I got rid of my old game and computer magazines and found my walk-in closet empty, could rent it out, fit a bed and a table and what not in there. Years and years of (enter name of British Amiga or gaming mag here) and GameFan, EGM and the likes, and a lot of Swedish mags. Keeping certain issues that are worth their weight in gold though

The memories are with me forever of the good old days, when if you wanted a game, you'd write to a guy in his parents garage and send him a fiver in the mail and he'd copy a tape of his latest code for you. Bless Jeff Minter.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43  Edited By SpudBug

I keep some of the good ones. I'll throw away stuff like official xbox/playstation magazines. I have lots of old nintendo power/EGM/gamepros. from the 90s and early 2000's . Fun to read.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By GunstarRed

I don't really buy magazines but I have a random handfull. The official ps2 magazines  that had FFX, mgs2 &3 reviews in them and bunch of Edge magazines... the one with the Ocarina of time review in it.
Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By Devoid

I've still got a drawer or two full of old gaming magazines. And some are kinda old.

..There's one here from when Cool Spot was announced.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By bakumatsu

I have plenty of them. Since June 1999 I buy on a monthly basis a portuguese videogame magazine called BGamer. I have a card box full of them on my parents' house and a pile on my house. I know. I have a problem...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I have a few old Nintendo Power magazines and all the Strategy Guides they sent me.  I use to have quite  few well worn issues of Gamepro and EGM because they had move list, combo list, and fatalities to various fighting games.  The strangest being Midway's WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade  Game but back in the day I was a beast when I played as Bam Bam Bigelow or Razor Ramon.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48  Edited By Yanngc33

I have a shit ton of Nintendo Powers when it was still good

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I did. I was subscribed to EGM for probably 4-5 years, I'd say. I had kept them until recently. Let's face it. I would never look at them again.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HandsomeDead

I have issue 49 to like ~200 of GamesMaster lying around in a box in my attic.