Are you excited about next gen?

• 84 results
nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not really. The most exciting thing about the PS5 to me is that I can most likely use it to catch up on the PS4 games I missed. Otherwise, I feel that it, like the current generation, is going to be focused on making games prettier instead of making games better. I've become used to being a generation behind on gaming besides Nintendo products, so it doesn't really bother me if I miss out, especially if, like this generation, it takes a couple of years for anything of note to be released.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I'm excited. I'm already down for a PS5 at launch. I'd love a new Uncharted series this next generation. I just finished replaying all of Uncharted 1, 2, 3, 4, and Lost Legacy (again) during lockdown.

Thus far, Sony's the only one who's convinced me they're still committed to being a video game company. Microsoft just wants to be Netflix (I've got too many subscription services I don't use enough of to justify adding another.)

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many games still to play from this gen, how could I be excited

greenmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't expect to buy a new console for at least a year or two. Hopefully by then someone will have done something weird or cool with the new tech. We'll see.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Nothing to do with COVID, but I don't feel extra hyped or down on the upcoming consoles yet. Maybe I'm misremembering the presentations but there seems to be even more continuations of existing franchises at the start of this gen than there were last gen. Not certain which one I want to go with yet but I expect I'll wait until fall 2021 like I waited about a year into this current gen to hop on board.

Squadaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it'll be more exciting once we get out of the transition period and developers can make games that only work with SSDs.

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have zero excitement for next gen. Nothing on PS5 or Series X blew me away so far.

I could care less about the new Spider-Man game on PS5. I played all the Spider-Man games that I cared about more than 15 years ago. Ratchet and Clank isn't a launch game. Neither is Demon's Souls Remake. There are no other games on PS5 (that are known to the public, at least) that interest me.

For Xbox, I am a Halo fan, but Halo Infinite is an Xbox One game. Despite all of Microsoft's claims to the contrary, it was primarily designed for Xbox One. It will be held back by the limits of the same Xbox One that launched in 2013, since it has to be able to run on it. The Medium is the only Series X game I'm somewhat interested in. I personally think the Series X launch feels too much like the Xbox One X launch. It just feels hollow. Nothing from first party will be exclusive to the Series X at launch, so what's the point of buying it at launch? I really feel like Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot again. Sure, they'll have the most powerful console. Who cares if all it's going to run at launch is backward compatible games and mildly upgraded games that launch on Xbox One at the same time?

Arzonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not excited at all. So far it just seems like more of the same style of games we've been seeing since the late Xbox 360/PS3 era. On top of that, we've reached the point of such diminishing returns with regard to graphics that they are no longer impressive showcases to me. Oh, you can render more blades of grass and higher resolution reflections... neat. It's pretty telling that one of the big presentations led with Grand Theft Auto 5.

The consoles seem like a technological leap in a way that the previous generation was not. But until they start utilizing this extra horsepower, I'm happy enough to wait it out.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the new consoles should be pushed to 2021 so that there is a stronger launch lineup/people might actually have money to buy them, and none of the near-future first party games are making me jump out of my seat, but the potential is very promising.

They have to launch now, it's just burnt r&d time otherwise. Business knows that you can't let perfect be the enemy of good, and they will just use the time to refine their manufacturing so they can do a price drop in a couple years. Pandemic, even with worsened economy, will not likely have much of an impact on sales... might help it.

The1stMJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited about next gen, just so we can hopefully get some innovation using new hardware power.

Currently I'm leaning towards buying a PS5 and that is only because I have a Game Pass and a PC that can run most games on high settings.

Theresonlyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I am excited about the potential but not the launch.

I prefer the look of the PS4, and it’s tech, while some of the games look good I am waiting to see how it pans out.

As for the series X it a good job it’s all on game pass because every thing I’ve seen so far looks weak.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New console time is always exciting, but I'm not champing at the bit to get one on launch either. If anything, my PC needs upgrades first, then I can focus on getting a PS5 afterwards.

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think we'll see console launches like the Dreamcast and Xbox 360 ever again. I specifically remember those launches to be pretty exciting, due to the variety of games available either at launch or soon thereafter. With Dreamcast, I was a sucker for Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, and Marvel vs Capcom. With 360, it was Condemned: Criminal Origins, and Perfect Dark Zero. Soon after, DOA 4 was spinning in my 360's disc drive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Sony and Microsoft both haven’t done a great job on selling me on getting a console at launch yet, but I’ll probably end up with one at launch anyway.

Sony did more to get me excited about the prospect of advancements with next generation than Microsoft did. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart left a huge impression on me in terms of thinking that this is something the PS5 can do that PS4 couldn’t. Nothing Microsoft showed makes me excited in the same way since it was mostly CG. I was really underwhelmed by Halo Infinite and I don’t really care about Xbox Game Pass or most of the Xbox Game Studios titles besides Everwild and Avowed.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really, then again, I never have. If i do buy a console it's often in the middle or near the end of a consoles life.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I think about it, there's a lot more new IPs being tested than last time around. Unless there was a ton in 2013 that completely missed my radar.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly feel like I wish it wasn't here, like soon I'm going to be in a position where I have to spend a shitload of money just to feel like I'm not missing out.

I'm also far too invested in a ps4 library to switch to xbox and the ps5 looks very stupid and impractical to me.

Complete opposite to last time where I was hyped like a teenager on christmas eve.

psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think I just don't feel it's right to get a PS5 right now due to I don't have the money and would rather wait till 2 years. I don't like the launch titles that much and that's always the selling point for me when it comes to that. I know with the PS4 I waited for a bundle to come out the year after. I barely feel the PS4 has reached it's peak. I know my brother will get an Xbox Series X unless he waits till next for Halo Infinite.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I am still looking forward to it. After all, there is not much else to do when you take going out to dinner, dancing, or other close packed social activities off the table.

I got into this generation at launch, I updated to the "pro" version when that launched, so I'm in the sweet spot for an update.

Honestly, I don't think some people not buying into the new systems will have an effect. Without Covid-19, I think there would have been too few systems and that demand would have lead to people selling the system on eBay for twice the price. Hopefully, a bit softer demand will allow the next generation to be less frantic at launch. Moreover, while I'm ready to buy not everyone is the PS3/XB360 generation went on WAY TOO long. PS5 and Series X seem to be coming in at the right time, and I think the console market is more sure of its place in gaming now.

In 2013, there was a bit too much gloom about if consoles mattered. People are convinced and I even think teh leveraging of specialty storage solution makes them matter a bit more. There will not be "PS 5 beater systems on PC" that cost $600 in teh nest 18 months. If a gamer wants something better that a PS5 or Series X, they will be spending $1200-$1,500 and likely 'not quite' matching the load speeds. But, we'll see.

DanWoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since PC is my primary platform, and now my Xbox One and PS4 are gathering dust, I'd rather save up for a system upgrade. With Microsoft's efforts towards supporting Xbox games on PC with Game Pass it kinda makes more sense to me.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next gen will be great... when it truly comes in another year or two. Till then, ill enjoy Cyberpunk and upgrading my pc and prep for Halo

DavidJonBoard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I am, especially if nex gen brings a lot of exclusive games. PS5 and XSX will not catch up with PC performance but will come closer for a while :)

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

As a PC user I'm excited to see games move beyond the console spec that's been fencing in development for the past wee bit. You can only re-install Crysis so many times you know?

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidjonboard: As someone who just built a PC, I’m not sure that a modern build can keep up with next gen without spending exorbitantly large amounts of money ($2000-3000 CAD), and even then you aren’t getting the optimized data busses that Sony and Microsoft are building. The rig I built was $1000 CAD without a Windows license and while it’s a solid build, it can really only max out at 1080p/60 at High to Ultra settings, maybe 1440p for a really optimized game. And forget about ray tracing. Even if the consoles are at the $800 CAD high end price point, they’re still going to smoke any comparable build.

DavidJonBoard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By DavidJonBoard

@navster15: I agree with you 100%. Consoles cannot make up for the performance gap between the PC and the console. At the moment, we can only talk about how much distance has been made up. It's hard to imagine that the consoles were modular, for example the basic version + additional RAM.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By navster15

@davidjonboard: You agree with me 100% and then contradict the thing I just said? I’m not entirely sure we’re on the same wavelength here. Obviously modularity is something PC does better, but what does that have to do with a performance gap?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I was honestly more excited when it sounded like we were going to get true backwards compatibility with the PS5.

I'm still going with that because of the potential of Bloodborne 2 and the fact that Spider-Man: Miles Morales and God of War ain't coming to PC anytime soon means exclusives actually matter to me, but I was going to be buying on day 1 if I could FINALLY play a version of Silent Hill 2 that doesn't require me booting up a PS2 or downloading some very questionable software, but since that doesn't seem to be the case, I'm just gonna wait and see until the bugs are hammered out.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Much less excited than I was the last time we did this. I got both the Xbone and PS4 within the first few months of the cycle, and ended up pleased with both (after upgrading to Xbox One X, prior to that the Xbone was a huge disappointment for me). But I also got a PC in that time, and play a lot of games on there. I’m not in need of a new console, really.

That said, as we get closer to launch I might feel some hype. Right now though what I want most is those Mario remasters, Hitman 3, and Cyberpunk 2077. All of which I can play without new hardware.

DavidJonBoard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I'm not particularly excited for either right now, but I was the same last time too. I'll wait until more stuff comes out before I get either of them. I didn't get an Xbox One until late 2015 and a PS4 until mid 2017 after Persona 5 came out. Part of me just wants to get a new PC instead once the next generation of PC parts come out so I may end up doing that. My PC's for the most part from 2011 or 2012 so I'm due for a new one at some point.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I still am excited for new consoles, but with the delay of Halo Infinite it's hard for me to say exactly why. It'll be nice to play Cyberpunk at the best visual quality that consoles can offer I guess.

To be honest this has been a rough year with a lot of uncertainty and not many positive things to look forward to. A console launch is a simple capitalistic delight that's soothing to think about and will hopefully make the long winter ahead a bit more bearable.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm so disinterested with the way games are going, that I'm probably selling my PC and PS4 Pro too. Nevermind buying a PS5.