Why Can't I Download Video? (or) Where's My Videos?

Velutha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Velutha

@edgework Thank you for your response. I uninstalled/reinstalled and I am still getting "An error occurred. Tap to retry."

Just to clarify, I have used the app for quite some time and always kept up with updates. Yesterday (seemingly out of nowhere to me) I had no videos available, only an error message.

Cathadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#152  Edited By Cathadan

@00: I used to do exactly that with Yahoo Pipes. Then that got shut down, so I made my own. It's really only useful for people with the technical skills necessary to build and run a Go application (all skills I lost approximately 2 days after getting a working version up and running). If you look at the sample configuration file you'll see an example that gives you exactly what you're looking for.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153  Edited By Shoey920

is streaming to Potplayer a thing that's currently broken? because it's very broken for me.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Shoey920

I can confirm that the full api link outlined in the first post makes it work again, but this is definitely an annoyance.

edit: now it's broken again. It seemed to authenticate once and then not again if I tried to replay the video in question. This is a pretty bad thing when one is trying to troubleshoot.

edit #2: also broken in iOS Plex app. Haven't had a chance to check PS4 or Xbox One

edit #3: I also can no longer download videos via the download manager I use (EagleGet). It just downloads the 41 second Jeff video. I realize this is probably a pretty specialized use case.

edit #4: the premium RSS feed (all videos, mobile quality) is broken for me in Downcast. I can neither download not stream videos, I just get the 41 second Jeff video. Will try to resubscribe and report back.

basically the only type of downloading or streaming I can get to work outside of the video player is by starting a normal download in Chrome. Tried logging off and logging back in and it didn't do anything. Seems broken everywhere and every way (at least for me) that I consume GB video content.

stratofarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use gPodder to download the videos straight from the RSS feed you guys provided and it's starting to give me nothing but the error videos.

SmarmyLech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've been getting the error videos since around 1pm PDT yesterday.

On iOS I've tried pocket casts and the stock podcast app. On android I've tried pocket casts and antenna pod.

tramuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have been hearing about these API changes for awhile, but wasn't effected till yesterday. I have used an app called Downcast for years and have never had an issue when downloading the premium video feeds until yesterday.

The authentication no longer worked, so I deleted the app and reinstalled and tried again.

I then followed the API key advice and was given a unique API key that I put in the RSS field of Downcast, but that didn't work either.

I contacted the delveloper and they said they would try to fix on their end at a later date, but there is no time table of when that would occur.

I have tired the Giantbomb video buddy app, and it keeps logging me out and not allowing me download all videos consistently.

I'm a subscriber through 2017, so that shouldn't be an issue. Any advice? Am I putting in the API key wrong? I am including it after the "=" character.

Thanks for the help.

san_salvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I regularly download videos with jdownloader, which has worked for years. Since today I get the 10MB error video file instead of the video requestet. I'm a premium member and I didn't change things on my end as far as I can tell. The download is a vital feature for me, so I hope this is an issue that can be fixed.

CharlesDA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really don't want to be the bearer of more bad news, but VLC is now giving me Jeff error every time.

CharlesDA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By CharlesDA

Also the play button is gone on all videos so no watching on the mobile site with it's own player?

V_Ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting the exact same Downcast error as the user a few posts above me. All of a sudden, not working anymore. Very odd.

HyperMusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi,

Since this morning, all videos I try to download is 10.8mb and it's Jeff telling me to come here and report the issue? Membership doesn't run out until December 2016. Halp!

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Past two days the app I use to download on Android(Advanced Download Manager) has been giving me the error message. Have tried using VLC and it's the same.

mitchell486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: My error was on my laptop (Mac OS X) with the standard webpage. I was using Chrome Version 49.0.2623.110 (64-bit). Hope this helps. I thought it was an error on the video database side or something.

mitchell486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By mitchell486

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is more of a back end error, everyone. I would say to be most helpful to @edgework, we should probably be succinct and informative with our replies from here on out.

Please note, I don't work for Giantbomb and I'm only a concerned premium member.

@edgework - I was watching through the Kerbal project yesterday on my Mac while at work. I already provided some detail, but wanted to make sure to provide as much as possible.

OS - OS X 10.11.4 (15E65)

Browser - Chrome Version 49.0.2623.110 (64-bit) AND Firefox Version 43.0.4

Recreation steps - Log into the site with my premium membership, navigate to any video, select "Download" and "HD" (I did try with other qualities) and then I receive the Jeff's Authentication Error.

Edit #1 - I have tried it with different Kerbal videos and I can use the Download Link for Ep 14 as an example on "HD", but I get the error message for Ep 09. If I go to Ep 09 and I use the on-screen video player and select HD, it works.

I have time today if you would like me to try browsing from any other devices. I have Windows and Android available at this time.

imad75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having trouble downloading any video in any resolution using 'download shuttle' on Mac. Tried adding my login credentials into the program(which I have never done before & it used to work fine!) but that didn't work as well. Help please!

baltimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Can't download videos. All I'm getting right now is Jeff's wonderful error vid. Logged out and back in on both devices. Still get a whole lot of Jeff.

IOS 9.3 (13E234), Downcast and Podcast app

Google Pixel C, Android 6.0.1. Pocketcasts.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework said:

@therealnelsk: If you use wget you MUST specify a unique user agent. The default 'wget/1.2.3' is blocked at our firewall.

Hooray, that fixed the wgetting for me as well, thanks!

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#169  Edited By rick

@baltimore: Did you add your API key to the feed / video URL?

TeejIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had this error trying to download the HD occulus streams. Windows 10, premium paid up until September. I use a program called "Free Download Manager" (yes I know it sounds like malware, but it was the first program I found that would send my login credentials to download premium videos, and I've been using it without issue for years now). The problem seemed to fix itself yesterday, but overnight and partway through pt.3, the download failed, and pt.4 was just the error video again. I can download the video through Chrome, but I have a very slow connection (which is why I have to pre-download the videos in the first place) and Chrome doesn't seem to allow me to limit download speeds, which leads to completely saturating my connection for a long time, making it unusable for anything else.

Appending the API key to the download seems to work, but the problem also seemed to be fixed before this, so I can't tell for sure.

My questions are: Is there a Giant Bomb Approved download manager I can switch to? Something that doesn't need the API key, or maybe can automatically add it? I'd also need speed control and pause/resume support. Will appending the API key eliminate the need to send login credentials for premium videos? I'm not using RSS (I'm literally adding to the download queue by going to the individual video page, right clicking download-HD -> "copy link address," and then pasting it into the download manager), so is the API key really necessary? Is this a permanent change?

Sorry for the long post, but I basically have no idea what I'm doing or what information would be useful.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teejiv: You can use whatever download manager you want. It was working for you on and off because we were turning credential verification on and off when we found and fixed problems. I'm going to try really hard to not turn it off again.

...and I prefer a long detailed post to "It doesn't work!" so thanks for that.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By rick

** Please read the entire original post in this thread before reporting an issue. It has the answers to the most common issues. Thanks... **

tramuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To all Downcast users or users that can manually input an RSS feed:

Yesterday I was having issues with Downcast not downloading an authenticated video, instead only Jeff's lovely voice. I originally tried option 3 on the main page of this forum topic but it didn't work. However, I noticed today there was a different RSS feed below the original one posted (or I could have just completely missed it) Either way, I got an API key from the link under option 3, added the RSS feed along with my authentication, and all works great now when using Downcast, but this should work for any other Podcast player that accepts authentication.

Here is the feed I used if you don't look at the front page of this topic:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/?api_key=aaabbb111

(where "aaabbb111" will be your API key generated for you)

Thanks Giantbomb moderators and users. I'm a happy camper again.

nexuson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since yesterday I can not watch any videos on Giant Bomb (new or old, premium or free) with my Windows phone (Lumia 920, running 8.1) I use Internet Explorer on it and have tried 3 other browsers which I get the same Jeff error video, which at first I thought it was part of a video and laughed for a bit until I realised that was not the case.

I always use the Download menu and choose medium quality to stream it (tried other qualities too) also tried downloading which do not work

I could not find any information of or by other users reporting about windows phone problems recently.

Just wondering if this is going to be fixed somehow or do I need to go out and buy a new phone :)

I also tried logging in and out, restarting and updating my phone with whatever I could update.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nexuson: I know little about Windows Phone but I'm going to guess that when you download a video on it, it uses another app and that app has no way of providing your account information like a normal browser would. Do me a favor click this link and send me a private message with the results. With that I can look up your history and see what's been going on.

Xealot42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#177  Edited By Xealot42

Not sure if this is related but I have slow internet and use EagleGet download manager to download videos since streaming generally lags for me on Firefox. It has worked fine for years but in the last week or so it will just download a 10.8 MB error message video that says my credentials can't be authenticated and directs me to this thread. I'm a premium member paid up through Oct. 2016.

Oddly enough I can download videos straight through Firefox no problem.

Edit - tried the api key fix but it still does not work.

hidden81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also as of today am unable to stream any videos on my Windows phone Nokia lumia which has made me slightly disgruntled :(

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By rick

@hidden81: Stream how? From the web site or from some other app?

tandar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By tandar1

I have been receiving the "Jeff Video Error" on all my RSS feed video downloads. Have been using my Synology NAS "Download Station" app for the past couple years without error. I have a premium account and have it set and have not updated my password since.

stratofarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried the API thing, it worked with gPodder!

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xealot42: @tandar1: Are you appending your API key to the video URLs? Also you're limited to 20 downloads a day. If you're using a downloader app it may be downloading everything it sees and quickly hitting the limit

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been using my Synology NAS box to download premium videos from the site for a few years now and it was working fine up until 2 days ago. For some reason every time my download manager starts the download it just stops at 10.1mb and says the file is done. It seems to only do this on this site and other stuff still works fine. I haven't updated the software recently so everything is the same on the NAS box.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@puchiko: We've changed how we deliver video and anyone who directly downloads our video will have to make changes in how they do that. You can only download 20 videos per day and you must append your API key to the urls. See the original post in this thread for more info.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By rick

** Please read the entire original post in this thread before reporting an issue. It has the answers to the most common issues. Thanks... **

DJ88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By DJ88

Videos on PS4 give me the error message again if I select a quality. Only selecting Auto works. Sorry to continue bothering about this. It's not a huge deal if this is how it stays, I just want to know if it's an intentional change on PS4 or if it shouldn't be working like this.

Also seems like videos just randomly hang up every few minutes or so : / Internet connection is fine today and plenty fast for it to not be the cause.

Vinnie_Ton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: I'm getting "an error occurred, tap to retry" in Video Buddy. This has been happening for nearly a week. Only seems to happen when I'm connected to my home wifi. Nothing has changed my end. I've got the latest version of the app, my account is fully linked and logged in. How can I fix this please?

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dj88: Yeah, you shouldn't actually have the quality options on anything that isn't a personal computer. Auto should be the only option for you.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinnie_ton: You're seeing this when playing a video or loading the list of videos?

Vinnie_Ton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: When loading the list. So the list won't actually load at all, I just get that error message. Same thing happens on my iPad when connected to the same wifi.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By rick

@vinnie_ton: Ok yeah, I've seen that too. That has nothing to do with the updates related to this thread. I have an idea of what it may be. You may want to take a look at your network, there -could- be a man in the middle watching your traffic. The problem is related to an https handshake and if there's something nefarious going on those handshakes will fail. That or you're a developer and have a packet sniffer running.

DJ88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By DJ88

@edgework: Got it. Thanks for the clarification!

I hope the video stopping every few minutes isn't a result of this. Usually never had problems when I could just choose a quality.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By rick

smek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I regularly download videos with jdownloader, which has worked for years. Since today I get the 10MB error video file instead of the video requestet. I'm a premium member and I didn't change things on my end as far as I can tell. The download is a vital feature for me, so I hope this is an issue that can be fixed.

I use jdownloader also as a download manager and getting error videos.

Premium is still active. I can get the video fine in opera and stream them. Same using video buddy (linked with site) and Android Download Manager on my phone.

When the videos go into jdownloader they show as having the api key part in download url but all get error video.

Is the jdownloader useragent blocked at the firewall level like default wget?

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smek: Not specifically but if its user agent is empty or too generic then it will get blocked. You could have also gone over your 20 download per day limit.

tandar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: That's my fault, I never actually read through the entire OP... I skimmed. Thank you for being patient and answering my question anyway, I've adjusted the RSS feed and will probably see it working tomorrow.

Interpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting the error video message

Mac OSX 10.11.4, using iTunes for the downloads

Tried resetting podcast settings and appending api key...still getting the error

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@interpol: Have you gone over the 20 per day limit?

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By rick

a123slonky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am using the giant bomb video buddy for android. I have re-linked my account but I am getting the Jeff message for every video I try your to watch, not just premium. Are there any know issues with the app? It has worked great for over a year. It is the most up to date versionight of the app.

Same issue with me as well.