A lot of hate for game I love on this one.

Acid08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Acid08

Seriously, almost every game they talked about and didn't really like, I love.

First, Soulcalibur 4. I'm absolutely in love with this game. The game plays better than 2 or 3 and rivals 1. It isn't like Goldeneye either. SC1 is still very much playable and great. Sure the boobs are stupid and the Star Wars stuff is tacked on and unnecessary, but the actual game is so fun to play. How can you guys call it the joke fighting game? If anything MK has been the absolute joke of fighting games since the 4th. MK vs. DC is just as shameful of a tie in as the SW stuff.

PixelJunk Eden. This little game is great. Very relaxing and fun to play. I haven't gotten past the 3rd garden yet, so I'm not sure how crazy it gets in later stages, so I can't really comment on it. Can't really describe what it is I love about this game. I'm not sure how someone can like Racers but not Eden considering Racers was pretty bad.

Ico/SotC. I was really disappointed with the apparent lack of knowledge about Ueda and his team. They never tr to hype their games up and try to make grandiose promises. Ueda isn't fucking Sakaguchi saying Cry-On is going to make you cry every fifteen minutes. Those games award the player by letting them infer much of the story through the amazingly detailed worlds and the clues spread throughout.

Anyway this thread will probably get a lot of hate haha. But any of you guys felt like there was a lot of hate that in some ways, was unfounded?

Damonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Damonation

As much as I like Jeff, its hard for me to take him seriously about any game when he is so psyched about MK vs DC. There is nothing wrong with that game or liking it but he is way too into it.

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Subway
Damonation said:
"As much as I like Jeff, its hard for me to take him seriously about any game when he is so psyched about MK vs DC. There is nothing wrong with that game or liking it but he is way too into it."
Yeah, I don't see how he's hyping it over like Street Fighter, to each their own I guess.
Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Bass

Honestly, Jeff isn't dissing SOTC or Ico. He's just saying he has never been interested in either game, and that he never really intends to play them. He never really passed judgment on the games.

With the other two, he has at least played them. And while you may not agree with his opinion, he didn't like them very much. And also, to be fair, Jeff has been playing the builds of MK vs DC and he says it plays really well, so he has justification for hyping that game so much.

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By somesthetic

I also enjoy Pixeljunk Eden.

I'm ok with people having different tastes than mine though.

Damonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Damonation
Bass said:
"And also, to be fair, Jeff has been playing the builds of MK vs DC and he says it plays really well, so he has justification for hyping that game so much."
He's also played Street Fighter 4 a lot. I think he just wants to be that guy, who talks up a game that no one else cares about so that if it does well he can go, "TOLD YOU!"
That or he just likes the game... but I prefer to stick to the most unlikely scenario/conspiracy theory.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By azteris
dcpc10 said:
"I agree wth OP, wtf was wth calling SC4 a joke??? Its an amazing fighting game and a review hasn't even been put up for it yet (and i bet GB will give it a low rating)"
First, I have the game, and it isn't amazing. It's a decent fighter. They also never said the gameplay was horrid. They just said how ridicilous some of the women are getting, which is true. It's getting almost worse than Dead or Alive.
albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By albedos_shadow

I'll probably end upbuying SC4 anyway, even though I'll probably be dissapointed. It's never been a serious fighting game, more of a button masher, which is fine with me.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pause422

Everyone has opinions people, they're human beings who can like or dislike games you and me like just as anyone else can, no one should really feel butt hurt about it.

I rented SCIV and I have a decent amount of fun with it, but I also agree with Jeff on almost everything he said about it. And is it really a big deal that he into MkvDC a lot? People are acting as if its a sin because its a terrible game and he shouldn't like it just because he isn't into SCIV. When you've been playing games really long, especially when you grow to really love a certain game( such as MK) which has had more than 1 shitty game in its lifetime, when you play one that feels really good again such as he did and walk away satisfied with it, there's no reason he shouldn't be excited for it, Jeff has always been a huge MK fan, and trust me, fans of it want to be stoked that the newest game may actually turn out really good for once.

even if SCIV or Eden do get a review that is less than what you thought of it, its still just their opinions, people have said it forever, if 'you' like any game a large amount no matter what it may be, the only review/opinion you should care about is your own, since you have fun with it.

Acid08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Acid08
pause422 said:
"Everyone has opinions people, they're human beings who can like or dislike games you and me like just as anyone else can, no one should really feel butt hurt about it.

I rented SCIV and I have a decent amount of fun with it, but I also agree with Jeff on almost everything he said about it. And is it really a big deal that he into MkvDC a lot? People are acting as if its a sin because its a terrible game and he shouldn't like it just because he isn't into SCIV. When you've been playing games really long, especially when you grow to really love a certain game( such as MK) which has had more than 1 shitty game in its lifetime, when you play one that feels really good again such as he did and walk away satisfied with it, there's no reason he shouldn't be excited for it, Jeff has always been a huge MK fan, and trust me, fans of it want to be stoked that the newest game may actually turn out really good for once.

even if SCIV or Eden do get a review that is less than what you thought of it, its still just their opinions, people have said it forever, if 'you' like any game a large amount no matter what it may be, the only review/opinion you should care about is your own, since you have fun with it."

I don't care that he's excited about it but I mean come on how can someone seriously call SC4 a joke and then say MK vs. DC is like some kind of startling new fighting game. MK has been a joke since the 4th like I said
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By neoepoch
pause422 said:
"Everyone has opinions people, they're human beings who can like or dislike games you and me like just as anyone else can, no one should really feel butt hurt about it.

even if SCIV or Eden do get a review that is less than what you thought of it, its still just their opinions, people have said it forever, if 'you' like any game a large amount no matter what it may be, the only review/opinion you should care about is your own, since you have fun with it."
Totally, I've been a big MK fan and Street Fighter fan and to see both of them make a comeback feels really good. Especially for MK because those games have not been good for quite some time, while Street Fighter still had some good games after SFII. MKvDC seems really exciting seeing how it is a return to form to the franchise and seems to play really well, and the inclusion of DC characters doesn't bother me as much as before, seeing how much they really did to get them to play well.
I've played a lot of Soul Caliber, and while I won't say it is terrible, it isn't my favorite fighting game. And to see them really objectify women, even worse than DOA, is kinda creepy. Also, them throwing in Star Wars characters didn't really make sense, since a lightsaber and Force powers should kill most of the other characters quickly. And since they seem to be the main focal point of the game it feels as if SCIV has gotten a bit desperate with being relevant with its own characters.
Acid08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Acid08
neoepoch said:
"pause422 said:

Totally, I've been a big MK fan and Street Fighter fan and to see both of them make a comeback feels really good. Especially for MK because those games have not been good for quite some time, while Street Fighter still had some good games after SFII. MKvDC seems really exciting seeing how it is a return to form to the franchise and seems to play really well, and the inclusion of DC characters doesn't bother me as much as before, seeing how much they really did to get them to play well.
I've played a lot of Soul Caliber, and while I won't say it is terrible, it isn't my favorite fighting game. And to see them really objectify women, even worse than DOA, is kinda creepy. Also, them throwing in Star Wars characters didn't really make sense, since a lightsaber and Force powers should kill most of the other characters quickly. And since they seem to be the main focal point of the game it feels as if SCIV has gotten a bit desperate with being relevant with its own characters."
Uh what? The SW characters are a main marketing point but really not a main point in the game. They're tucked away and aren't even in the story mode unless you play as one. It seems like a lot of you like to try to forget that MK also has very scantily dressed female characters. Hell, every fighting game does. I guess I'm maybe focusing on actually playing the game too much since I don't really notice how big the tits are on the fighters besides initial impressions.

The Force powers are fine and very easy to side step. There's a good sized pause between when the animation starts and when the actual attack happens.

Both games are desperate in some way. SC3 didn't sell well so Namco wanted to do something that would hopefully get the game more attention especially since The Clone Wars in releasing soon. SC is still considered a serious fighting game while MK, no matter how good MK vs. DC is, is considered the kinda joke game. Having DC characters in your game as a main selling point isn't going to help much either.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

To each their own, and Jeff is certainly entitled to his opinion, as is everyone else, but I do have to disagree with his reasoning.

I'm not about to bash Mortal Kombat out of spite, let me get that out of the way first.  I've had plenty of fun with that series, but where Jeff uses the context that Soul Calibur was fun because that was the game everyone was playing in college, the early Mortal Kombat games were fun to me because I was maybe 12 or 13 when those games started coming out, and all the blood and those fatalities were just so damn awesome.  I especially liked Mortal Kombat II.

The thing is, I didn't really like Mortal Kombat 3 that much.  The stiff animation and the very concept of the digitized actors was showing its age by that point, the AI in the single-player mode was absolutely no fun to play against, and the rainbow coalition of identical ninjas wasn't getting any smaller.  I did try a little of Mortal Kombat 4 when it came out, but I just didn't feel that it was a good game at all.  I felt that the series had peaked with MKII and was steadily going downhill.

Then, back when it came out, I picked up Mortal Kombat:  Deadly Alliance.  Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad of a game.  The gameplay was a step in a promising direction, even if the competitive balance was broken, and I felt that they had managed to take the Mortal Kombat storyline and actually inject some decent writing into it.

I ended up skipping Deception for reasons I can't remember.  It may be that it just came out at a bad time for me and I never could muster the interest in hunting it down, but by all accounts, the game was not what I would have wanted it to be.  To my understanding, rather than improve the elements established in Deadly Alliance and bring more balance into the game, more new elements were added and nothing about the existing mechanics were really fixed.

Then there was Armageddon, which I played, and which just made me shake my head.  The game does have the plus of having such an enormous roster, but that's all it really has going for it.  Balance, competitive or otherwise, went straight out the window.  The graphics hadn't improved one bit over Deadly Alliance, and still featured characters that looked like they were formed from glossy plastic.  The blood flowed like strawberry jam.  The character creator was a fun touch (it let me make a zombified Sailor Moon, among other things), but the absurd limitation of one custom character slot per profile killed my interest in that feature quickly.

In all honesty, while Jeff may feel that Soul Calibur was that super-awesome game that everyone played back in college, playing Deadly Alliance and Armageddon just made me realize that Mortal Kombat was at its best back in the early '90s, when it was just me, my younger brother, and some of our friends gathered around the TV and passing the controller.  But even then, our hearts were really more into Street Fighter II.

As for Soul Calibur IV itself, I am having an absolute blast with it.  I find the characters far more interesting and entertaining than the Mortal Kombat cast.  I like how there are characters that can smile and laugh without it being in a smirky "I'm so deliciously evil" manner.  I love the detail they put into the design of each character.  And frankly, while Ivy is top heavy, is she really any worse than the Dead or Alive girls, or the way they're depicted in those ridiculous beach volleyball games?

Character designs aside, I also find the gameplay to just be more fun.  I'm one of those players that really got on board with the series in Soul Calibur II (back in college, of course).  I had the fortune of being the guy that had the first crack at the campus game center's Soul Calibur II machine, and I played the heck out of both the GameCube and PS2 versions of the game.  When Soul Calibur III came out, I was psyched.

And I was disappointed.  Soul Calibur III just did not feel as fun to me.  The character creator was a great touch, but some of the new characters, namely Setsuka and Tira, felt either overpowered or incomplete.  The computer AI wasn't any real fun to play, and then there was that horrible, horrible bug that would destroy all of the data on the PS2 memory card.  I was fortunate to never encounter it before I gave up on the game and deleted the file from it.

Given that, Soul Calibur IV is everything that I wish Soul Calibur III should have been.  The character creator is far more robust, the addition of online play is a boon (even though I'm getting my ass handed to me rather handily in most matches), the game balance feels far better, and it's just over all a much, much better game.  The one thing that I don't really like are the Star Wars characters, which do threaten the game balance, but even then, I'm willing to forgive that since Soul Calibur II wasn't made any worse for the presence of Link, Heihachi, or Spawn.  That in mind, I've been very fortunate to run into a relatively scant number of Vader and Apprentice players online, and have had an absolute blast seeing what sort of madness that others have created using the character creation tool.  It really put a bright note on a sour day to see someone had made Nephenee from the Fire Emblem series.  I swear, that was just an awesome thing to see, and for all the faults it does have, I love this game.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Demilich

Jeff seems to be a bit of an Xbawks fanboy, and I disagree with some of his opinions, but overall he's usually right.

Acid08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Acid08

Oh yeah I don't hate MK. I absolutely loved 2 but I always played it second to SF2. After that the MK game just became trash in my opinion. I couldn't stand the new gameplay once MK went 3D and Deadly Alliance was overall very "meh." Two games later the gameplay is still exactly the same and the graphics are horrid. So MK vs. DC is going back to the old gameplay which is probably best. The thing is though is that gameplay has never been very deep. So for someone to call Soul Calibur a "joke" and then go and shit their pants for MK vs. DC just seems absolutely crazy to me.

Also what the fuck with saying PixelJunk Eden doesn't look good? The game looks great.

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

Azteris said:
"They just said how ridicilous some of the women are getting, which is true. It's getting almost worse than Dead or Alive."
I'd say it's already gotten worse in that way.