Anime & Cartoon Megathread V: I, Gacha

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ah man, there are few shows that I'm interested this season, but me and my "Will only watch when Blu ray comes out " thing is a bit annoying. But TV quality is not doing it for me anymore.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@zomgfruitbunnies: Somehow I have never heard an AKB song and I don't know how I have avoided it.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

That Ghost in the Shell quick look just makes me sad, so to make myself feel better I'm going to go watch some Ghost in the Shell...

a.k.a. the best anime ever.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By edgaras1103

Akira is better ?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Akira is better ?

In all seriousness though, I should rewatch Akira. It's been so long since I've seen it and I don't even think I saw the whole thing...
In all seriousness though, I should rewatch Akira. It's been so long since I've seen it and I don't even think I saw the whole thing...

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: Akira is good, but unlike what seems to be the popular opinion on GitS, the manga is way better. It makes a lot more sense.

Speaking of which, I should rewatch the original GitS movie. I've watched SAC again recently and still love it, but the I haven't seen the movie in probably almost a decade and remember not liking it at the time.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By edgaras1103

@babychoochoo: I don't know man. The second half of Akira is maybe not that great. Maybe it's just me but some scenes were strange for the sake of being strange. And I could not relate to anything in it. But maybe that's intentional. At least Ghost in the shell had Togusa and Tachikomas.

Dropped Space Brothers after 9 episodes. 100 episodes is too much for me nowadays.

Probably will drop Clannad, 8 episodes in and still not feeling it.

Shimoneta is holy shit some scenes guys. Sometimes it's too much. Still can't hold a candle to Seitokai Yakuindomo.

No Caption Provided

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: @edgaras1103: Ghost in the Shell is the best anime movie and is about 1000000 times better than Akira. Now if Akira was a dystopian underground street bike racing anime that would be a different story.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By edgaras1103
Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Akira is better.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@edgaras1103: I'm not surprised at all about Clannad. It gets recommended a whole lot and I enjoyed it but that beginning is a slog to get through. It's like a "recency bias" with Clannad. The later portions of that show are what people tend to think about when they recommend it to someone but forget the beginning is not good at all.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Having watched both again recently, Akira for my 3rd time and Ghost in the Shell my 4th time, Ghost in the Shell is way better.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By edgaras1103

@instantryan: Thing is, I don't mind slow pace, the backgrounds are nice and male character is good enough. But main female, the voice and the design is hard to swallow. I know it's on me, I never watch shows with similar aestethics/looks to Clannad and probably missing out on something good.

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajayraz:It still is pretty funny and will be way cooler if you revisit it now. I bet you didn't catch the Clockwork Orange episode or the like on the first go around a decade ago, or the great cameos but will love them now!

Megas is one of my favorite all time things ever.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For Clannad I hear Clannad After Story is the show everyone thinks is amazing but I am pretty sure you need to see the first series first.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Well, maybe I won't rewatch Akira after all....

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By InstantRyan

@edgaras1103: Is it just the main girl you're having a tough time with? I think I remember having issues with the majority of the female cast besides one of the twins I think. It's been a while but the eyes will always bug me.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@instantryan: Other females I can stand. But the main one, that voice and the archetype is just so hard to look past it. I don't wanna bash that character, but it's probably the main reason I am not watching it now. The chemistry between main characters is just so meh. And I am in the mood for enjoyable romance anime. Anime Gods are so unfair sometimes.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@babychoochoo: I rewatched Akira on Blu-Ray a few weeks ago over the holidays. It is still great and a good example of a film that gets better after multiple viewings. The movie is so visually dense that I discover something new every time I see it.

@hamst3r: I've also seen both of them recently and I would disagree but I would also make the argument that they are not really comparable, besides both being cyberpunk films. One is about cyberspace and what it means to be human while the other is an over the top action film with elements of social commentary about post-war Japan.

@edgaras1103: If you are talking about Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust then yeah, that film is awesome. The 80s OVA is just okay.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgaras1103: I see. Younger me would stick with anything back then but I don't think I could rewatch it nowadays. I haven't watched it but I think White Album 2 is a romance anime? I generally see good things about it so that might be an option if you haven't watched it.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By edgaras1103

@instantryan: What about just White album? Should I skip it?

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgaras1103: As far as I understand it, the two are basically unrelated besides taking place in the same universe. I think there's a 10? year difference time wise but it's all different characters. I think I watched a couple episodes of the first one but stopped for whatever reason. You could give 1 a shot but I see a lot more good said about WA2 compared to 1.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgaras1103: I see. Younger me would stick with anything back then but I don't think I could rewatch it nowadays. I haven't watched it but I think White Album 2 is a romance anime? I generally see good things about it so that might be an option if you haven't watched it.

White Album 2 is a romance and one of the better ones imo.I havent seen the first one but from what ive seen and heard its not that good and can be completely skipped.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Akira's visuals were great. Unfortunately, everything else didn't do much for me. I wouldn't try to compare it to GitS either, but I liked GitS more.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

White Album 1 is some top tier soap opera bullshit. Whether or not the phrase "top tier soap opera bullshit" excites you will determine how much you enjoy While Album 1.

malestrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Am I OK with jumping into to Iron blood orphans if the last Gundam show I watched was wing?

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malestrom: Like most Gundam shows, IBO is a perfectly fine Gundam to jump into with little to no knowledge.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malestrom: Define ok. It's not very good. If you're looking for giant robots it has that but I found the plot and characters completely uninteresting.

malestrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: I was more worried that I would have needed to see some of the previous shows to get into it. I was also looking for a good action show to watch. If you have any suggestions I would gladly check them out.

jordanxjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished Hunter X Hunter (2011) Greed Island arc. While it was the slowest arc, so far, it was still pretty exciting from beginning to end. HXH continues to impress, setting the bar pretty high for all other shounen.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Daveyo520

My quest to watch all of KyoAni's shows continues, this time with Beyond the Boundary. I am really enjoying it so far (I have not run into a show of theirs I have not liked yet) and with what just happened in episode 4 I am liking where the show is headed. It looks like there is probably going to be a romance and I really hope it happens, unlike some of their other shows. I am also for some reason hoping for a sad ending, I can enjoy a sad show here and there. I don't think it will end with one though. It also has way more action than any of their other shows I have watched, except their newest one.

Here is an ordered list of all of their shows I have seen so far. (Including their OVAs, movies and sequels).

1. Hyouka
  2. Sound! Euphonium
  3. K-On!
  4. Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!

On hold: Free!

Currently watching: Myriad Colors Phantom World and of course Beyond the Boundary.

I think after this I will watch either Amagi Brilliant Park or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Any suggestions? Does anyone have a favorite show of theirs? I also need to get around to watching all of Shaft's shows but I have seen way more of those than KyoAni's.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By pyrodactyl

@malestrom: I'm not what you would call an expert on anime but I can recommend some good action shows:

Low hanging fruits (you probably watched all those, if not I can provide advice on which one to watch with further descriptions):

• Attack on titan
  • Gurren Lagann
  • Psycho pass (my personal pick for most recommendable)
  • Kill la Kill

My personal dark horse recommendation is RWBY. If you can get into the 3D animation and over the production values of season 1 in particular it has the best fight scenes I've seen in anything ever in season 1 and 2 and some suprisingly alright characters.

Aside from that there's Fate Zero and then Fate Stay Night: UBW. Certainly flawed from a plot standpoint and some of the characters are not the best but I feel like both series redeem themselves with a handfull of great characters (or characters that turn out great by the end) and incredible animation. It looks really good.

malestrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: Thanks. I watched the first episode of RWBY and thought it looked a bit cheap but I am willing to give it another go.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By pyrodactyl

@malestrom: Here's a ''trailer'' for the series. It's more of a proof of concept with a few world building elements cleverly thrown in there. If you can dig that I would suggest watching the whole thing. If you're ''meh'' it might not be for you:

Loading Video...

Watch it in HD and forgive the VO. I feel like it's better in the actual series.

peregrin38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malestrom: I actually like Iron Blooded Orphans, for what it's worth, but it's definitely not what I'd call an "action" show. Are there any specifics on what you're looking for within that genre? Pyrodactyl's list is good, but shows like Psycho Pass are about more than just action (which is a very, very good thing). If you want *pure* action, you might do best with something like One Punch Man, to be honest.

Also, yes, RWBY is cheap. It's not produced by a major studio, so it really can't be anything but. If the style throws you off, it's probably not for you.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daveyo520: I enjoyed Tamako Market quite a bit. Watch if you want to experience a lot of the feels.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peregrin38: I always forget about one punch man. As someone who loves grand naratives and action shows it may have been too much of a one trick poney for my tastes.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By MillaJ
@zomgfruitbunnies said:

@daveyo520: I enjoyed Tamako Market quite a bit. Watch if you want to experience a lot of the feels.

Ah, the feels. I second Tamako Market. I haven't seen much else from KyoAni besides what you've already mentioned, but I'd also recommend the work they did on the Full Metal Panic series.

peregrin38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daveyo520: My favorite KyoAni show is Nichijou, hands-down.

It's also one of the least KyoAni shows around.

Make of that what you will.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daveyo520: All the good ones from Kyoni you watched already and are watching it. Naturally Nichijou is different genre but just as great if not better compared to other KyoAni works.

And it's hard to pinpoint favorites I just have too many of those.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'm a little surprised that no one's mentioned Chūnibyō. That weird little thing was pretty charming in its own pure, awkward way. It's also one of those rare shows that completely justifies its use of melodrama.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Nichijou! Despite almost all of their works being adaptations, I think most other Kyoani works I've watched feel too similar. And they are all a little boring to me(Tamako Market and K-On! going head to head for most boring), or have some thing in them that annoyed me a ton. Like the serious turn in Chūnibyō. Liked that show so much until that point. Or the way the cowardly heroine in Beyond the Boundary killed and kept killing the regenerating main protagonist because he didn't seem like he would fight back. That's got to take the prize for shortest time from introduction scene to complete asshole scene except maybe Dio Brando. I don't begrudge anyone for liking them, and they are very pretty, but it's been a while since I saw one I enjoyed. I think Free! is great if you're into shipping(I am not) and I was way into Haruhi Suzumiya at the time(But at the time, I was something like 14 years old).

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: Psycho Pass is my go to for reccomending anime to people who dont watch anime. Great dub available, gets to the point, Netflix. And it's probably the best sci-fi show since Ghost In The Shell.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Turambar

@babychoochoo said:

That Ghost in the Shell quick look just makes me sad, so to make myself feel better I'm going to go watch some Ghost in the Shell...

a.k.a. the best anime ever.

The original movie really doesn't hold up. SAC is still fantastic.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: You've never actually mentioned why you don't think it holds up? I re-watched it again probably a month or two ago. I think it holds up perfectly no matter which way you slice it, thematically or stylistically. Ex Machina and SOMA were two of the most popular things in their respective entertainment mediums last year and they covered many of the same themes covered in GitS.

Stylistically speaking, none of the designs of anything within it seem dated either. They're all very grounded in a very realistic future. It's not wacky or some idealistic, pie-in-the-sky type future based entirely off what people wanted the future to be like at the time it was created like the Jetsons or something. Even when you talk production values, I would argue it still easily shits all over most modern anime both in terms of visuals and sound. You could argue it's not as flashy as some modern anime, but the sheer fluidity of the animation is rarely seen outside of other anime movies. If you do see animation of this quality these days, it's typically reserved for an action scene after which they go right back to "talking heads" and all that other bullshit. To be fair, I understand they have to spread out that budget on TV so it's unrealistic to expect any show to look as good as movie all the time, but my point still stands: GitS, as a whole, can still compete with the best of the best.

If you don't think it holds up, that's fine. I disagree.

Clearly.

jordanxjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By jordanxjordan

@daveyo520: Make sure you watch Haruhi in broadcast order, when the time comes. I accidentally saw it in chronological order and it had much less of an impact than it could have. It seems like opinion on that show now is a lot lower than it was initially, but I think it holds up still. The Disappearance movie is a trifle, but not undeserving of a watch at the end.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Turambar

@babychoochoo said:

@turambar: You've never actually mentioned why you don't think it holds up? I re-watched it again probably a month or two ago. I think it holds up perfectly no matter which way you slice it, thematically or stylistically. Ex Machina and SOMA were two of the most popular things in their respective entertainment mediums last year and they covered many of the same themes covered in GitS.

Stylistically speaking, none of the designs of anything within it seem dated either. They're all very grounded in a very realistic future. It's not wacky or some idealistic, pie-in-the-sky type future based entirely off what people wanted the future to be like at the time it was created like the Jetsons or something. Even when you talk production values, I would argue it still easily shits all over most modern anime both in terms of visuals and sound. You could argue it's not as flashy as some modern anime, but the sheer fluidity of the animation is rarely seen outside of other anime movies. If you do see animation of this quality these days, it's typically reserved for an action scene after which they go right back to "talking heads" and all that other bullshit. To be fair, I understand they have to spread out that budget on TV so it's unrealistic to expect any show to look as good as movie all the time, but my point still stands: GitS, as a whole, can still compete with the best of the best.

If you don't think it holds up, that's fine. I disagree.

Clearly.

I rewatched it about three or four years back, so here are the clearest impressions.

You don't need to beat your chest over production value and animation style. That's never been important to me. Hell, I think Zeta Gundam still holds up damn well in some ways.

Yes, GiTS has style coming out of every pore. Yes it has good cinematography. Yes, it has good sound design. However, all of that is secondary to one major flaw: as a movie, its pacing was simply poor, and the plot often times hard to engage with as a result. For example, the transition from the Kusanagi tank fight to long technobable filled dialogues was jarring, and took a lot out of both experiences.

What SAC has over the first movie isn't its flashiness. It's the fact that it brings you a similar experience in much more segmented doses. It has the high tension and violence as well as the low energy dialogue, but by separating them into individual episodes that revolve almost entirely around these those separate thematic goals, it makes it much easier for the viewer to digest in general.

To give a clearer example, despite having watched the first GiTS movie far more recently than SAC, I can't tell you the first thing about its overall plot. I remember the tank fight, but the philosophical revelations that is standard for anything GiTS is completely lost on me. Who even was the antagonist? All that is over written by a whole bunch of action scenes by which I mean two. I have clearer memories of the overall plot of Innocence, and that should be saying something.

By comparison, I still remember SAC quite well despite it having been over a decade now because its individual parts don't wrestle with each other for my attention, and instead give each other room.

You know, after writing all this, maybe it isn't that GiTS the movie doesn't hold up. Maybe it just wasn't that good to begin with.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those words you said? They hurt. They hurt real bad.
Those words you said? They hurt. They hurt real bad.

But seriously, that's fair. I just remember you saying on multiple occasions you didn't think it holds up, but I don't ever call you saying why until right now.

I still disagree with pretty much everything you're saying (I thought the pacing was fine, plot is easy to follow, antagonist is clear, etc etc), but to each their own and all that. I can't really say anything you're saying is wrong. It's just how you view the movie.

I kinda see SAC as an entirely different beast than the movie though. Thematically, yeah it pretty much covers what was in the original movie and then some and the episodic nature makes it easy to disgest, but the overarching plots of both seasons (Laughing Man and Individual 11 incidents) are much more complex and police/crime drama-y than the the movie if you ask me.