Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

Which Final Fantasy game is best for a newbie?

• 78 results
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Thinking on this for a while, I'd definitely have to say IX. The mechanics are engaging without being overly complex. The difficulty is generally even without much grinding required. The storyline is gripping and dramatic without being overwrought. There's sufficient pathos.

I have no idea what the best way to get access to it now, but that's the one I'd go with.

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The 20th anniversary version of FF1 is on both PSP and 3DS and is a great version of the first game. It's doesn't have some of the improvements from other, later, versions but it is 100% worth playing before the others. The PSP version of FF IV would be the next best followed by VI (III) on Wii VC. Frankly, the SNES games and later are just better if you've played either 1 or 3 first and the DS version of 3 just wasn't as good even though it was way less janky than the original version. Don't start with 2, it's just too different from all the other games.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Given that you liked XIV (which is probably my favourite Final Fantasy game) I'd actually suggest XII. It's not entirely dissimilar in structure to that game - in fact it kinda plays like an offline MMO where you essentially program AI routines for your other party members. It's got a fairly solid story that is kinda Star Wars but not exactly (and one of my personal favourites in the series), the skill systems are a little more complex than some of the other games in the series but still fairly approachable, and there's tons of additional side stuff to do if you find yourself getting hooked in.

If that sounds too convoluted, I'd say X is a fantastic starting point. It has one of the most approachable battle systems (being entirely turn-based). I'd also be tempted to recommend XIII, because its battle system takes a step back to a more "top-level management" style and you can learn how to use different combinations of classes without worrying as much about specific moves for a given situation. However, while I really like XIII a lot of people don't - so perhaps steer clear of that one to start with, as its a bit divisive. You also can't go too far wrong with VI IMO, but then I also think the pre-X era is a little harder to go back to if you didn't play them at the time.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd say VI or IX are the best representations of the series as a whole imo, not to mention among the best. IV isn't a bad choice either, although I find it a bit too simplistic for what it is (and stay away from the DS remake for your first time around).

And put down another vote against X.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 thatpinguino  Staff

You, and everyone, should play VIII.

But really play IX.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The best advice is probably "Go play Phantasy Star instead." Tremendous series (even 3, in its own strange way), and you only have to get through four games to be done with it. Super grindy and hard, but I had much more connection with those characters than in any of the FF games that I played.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@starvinggamer: They announced a pc release/hd version a while back. It has been a while now since that has been mentioned, so who knows if that is still coming. but I fully expect that to pop up on steam/Psn/... one day.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

As @lawgamer said I would recommend you start with FFXIII.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
    deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FF is split into different eras that vary wildly (sprite, PS1 and 3D). You're safe choosing one from any of these but this also makes it hard to recommend any one game overall. Just depends on which style you gravitate towards.

Personally, for the sprite era games you can't go wrong with 5 or 6. I'd give the edge to 5 simply because I think the gameplay is more fun.

PS1 era I'd recommend 7. Gameplay still holds up and it has arguably the best atmosphere and music in the series. Mileage may vary on the story, but overall it's the best paced and most interesting of this era IMO.

3D era probably FFX. 12 is fantastic but if you're looking for the quintessential FF experience it's hard to recommend for a first timer. 13 is a hot pile of dog shit.

walach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By walach

No offense but the best FF is Chrono Trigger ^^ Get it for your DS and you get a bit of exclusive content. It's 2D aswell so that should go well with what your currently looking for. Many people behind FF is also behind CT.

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say VI or IX are the best representations of the series as a whole imo, not to mention among the best. IV isn't a bad choice either, although I find it a bit too simplistic for what it is (and stay away from the DS remake for your first time around).

And put down another vote against X.

This is prob the best advice here as it avoids the rose-colored goggles that have caused people to thing way too highly of some mediocre games. You might like the simplicity of IV though, it's not too long and has nice characters and an ok story.

Tactics is secretly the best game in the series but it's pretty hard to get into (confusing political story, tactical combat with permadeath, hidden classes, etc.) so probs not wise if you don't want a big commitment, but put it on your bucket list.

roc_553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By roc_553

You should play Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. No, wait, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers. No, I've got it! You should play Chocobo Racing. Perfect entry point into the series.

Edit: I thought about it some more, and you'll probably get everything you need by just watching Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By hermes

I would go with X. While not the easiest game, the combat system is a pretty straightforward, simplified system from the other games. Turn-based at its purest, you can leave your controller down in the middle of the battle to answer the phone and nothing will happen, you can also switch characters in and out of your party with no penalties. Story is melodramatic, but pretty good if you are into that.

The easiest would be XII by far, but I would not advice it as an entry point because it plays nothing like other Final Fantasy games.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

7 or 10 I think.

IV 'hard type' which both DS and PS1 are based on are really more grindy than hard in my experience. If I were to play IV i'd suggest getting the PSP version or to get the GBA verson. Virtual Console/SNES is also an option. Yes FFIV has been rereleased so many times and all the good ones are still on old platforms o.o

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

10's a good choice. So is 6, if you want something that's a little more traditional JRPG. Most of the Earth's population started with 7, but wait for the remake. The graphics are just too rough unless you put in an inordinate amount of effort modding the PC version.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66  Edited By wrighteous86

VI, IX, or X depending on which style seems most interesting to you.

Romanticore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you like playing around with class systems in rpgs, then play FFV. It's the best.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By GiantLizardKing

Play a half hour of any revision of the original Final Fantasy for some context and from there move to the GBA version of FFIV (as it's the closest to the original Japanese super famicom version we have in the west) to see the logical progression of that setting and style of game play. After that play VI to understand the way this series is comfortable departing from a given setting and to play the pinnacle of 2D Final Fantasy.

Then play a bit of 7 to see what the fuss is about. Stick with it if you feel like it, but I don't think it ages well. From there skip 8 and 9 and jump to 10 to play a more modern approach to the series design and to get a feel for the logical progression of the series in 3d. At that point you could either call it good (as lots of people stopped playing at 10) or go back and fill in the gaps as you feel like. But I feel like that combination of 1,4,6,7,10 will give you a true understanding of the series overall.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a brilliant supplemental.

EDIT: Don't mess with any of these games on iOS. They feel all wrong.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69  Edited By Error52

@giantlizardking: I would avoid FFIV on GBA. It's buggy as hell and the translation is questionable at best.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started with 7, but i was 14 at the time so who knows how well it would be recieved today. It was also the only one i beat as i couldn't get through the gring of the other ones, i think i used a cheat code or someones save to see the ending of 10 though. Stay away from 13 though, that game is terrible on all levels IMO.

GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@error52 said:

@giantlizardking: I would avoid FFIV on GBA. It's buggy as hell and the translation is questionable at best.

I didn't have any problems with bugs but YMMV. Those original game had shit translations anyway and at least this version is the proper Japanese gameplay version without the load times seen on the Playstation remakes. There may be a more definitive version that I am not aware of, but it seems like there may just be a bunch of non ideal ways to play a great game.

GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By GiantLizardKing
    Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Casepb

Voting for X as well. The remaster for PS4 is very well done, and X is my favorite. Although I'm looking forward to playing IX on PC.

zorban_zorban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are not afraid of the old-school pixelly graphics, go with the FF IV. The best one in the whole series, IMO, both gameplay and story-wise.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Maybe it's just me but I thought IX was harder than most of the PS gen games. I'd say IV, VI, VIII or X are all fine to start if you've played rpgs before. X is probably most modern and accessible I think to a total newcomer.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP could have played through more than one FF in the time this thread has existed now.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say 1 is a good start in general, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 all have decent introductory learning curves. IV's the best, VI is the second best (and very close to being flat out the best game ever but World of Ruin is trash unfortunately); neither will be as inviting as the 3D games. XIII is extremely difficult relative to most of the rest of the series, but XIII-2 is easier if you wanted to get into the newer ones (they're excellent games as well). II is weird, V is okay; pretty good at 5x speed on an emulator.

Tactics is also the best and the best non voiced storyline in any game ever.

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good litmus test to see if you even have the tolerance to play the "older" FF's is Final Fantasy 9. If you can't deal with 9's combat and random encounters, then perhaps going further back is just not for you. After that..... 3, 4, 6, 7 or 8.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.