Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

What is your favorite Final Fantasy game?

• 52 results
    Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Richardqx

- I am currently playing FF X HD Remaster, on ps4, and it's so awesome, in every way. Newer games aren't usually as deep as some older ones. Anyway, i love the game. The level design is fantastic, the ost is lovely, it is about 15 yrs old? But it looks graphically good. The story is, needles to say, genial, and the length! 100 hours + another 50 (?) of the addon and the bonuses. - Besides of FFX i have played and finished VII. Somehow, i didn't enjoy it as much as X. There is a some kind of fascinating melancholy and beautiness in X, plus it looks much better. I played VII last year... - What's your favorite FF game?

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ALavaPenguin

FFXI, but that game isn't what it once was since Abyssea expansions, so MMORPG aside....

FFV by far. While not as complicated as some other FF games story-wise, the story is very enjoyable and the characters are fun and it is one of the more funny FF games I feel. Also the main character's name is Butz in the original translations [now it is translated to Bartz though]. However, what makes FFV shine is the gameplay. One of the most fun and enjoyable class systems a FF game has ever had. Also easily one of the most replayable FF games due to this. There is even a fun charity event that goes on every year based around replay of this game with the class system that works well where the other FF games probably wouldn't.

Pre playstation FF games have really two formats. 50% of them are the strong class systems, while the other 50% are the ones where characters come and go with different set classes. The strong class system ones are 1, 3, and 5, with 5 easily being the most refined and well done mechanically of the systems. The others are 2, 4, 6. 2 is a bit odd but I do generally move it closer to that definition.

I tend to not like that second non-class system nearly as much as the former. Recently playing through all the NES/SNES FF games 4 was the one I couldn't get myself to finish as I hated it so much.

6 is a spectacular story, and the best gameplay mechanics of the 2,4,6 style. 2 Is an oddball with cool ideas but the execution of those ideas is rough. I feel if there was a second shot at the mechanics of 2 they really could have made a sweet game. The ideas are there but just some poor execution of the concepts.

1 is totally a classic and still tons of fun I recommend. Play a remake as in the original is loaded with bugs where half the spells don't even work. Heck the main stat Int doesn't actually work in the original even, which is madness! [Although I actually do prefer the spell charge system over a generic MP system, but oh well!] I think this bug is still in effect in a few of the remakes even though which is even more crazy. 3 feels like a proto-5. 3 is really fun but hasn't quite worked out the class system fully.

Keep in mind, I hate FF7 and most of what lies beyond. They end up feeling more like cutscenes than worlds to explore, and every character is a super red mage that just ends up feeling incredibly generic and boring to me, plus they are incredibly overly simplistic compared to the SNES games. If you liked FF7 then play FF4, as that is basically a proto playstation era FF game. Keep in mind by saying that I am saying it is a bad game haha.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OMGFather

X is my favorite.

I also really like VIII, but that's mostly for the triple triad card game.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why, the one that's objectively the best, of course. And we all know which one that is.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@teddie said:

Why, the one that's objectively the best, of course. And we all know which one that is.

Clearly the correct answer is XII, and anyone who says X is clearly an uncultured philistine.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By alexl86

I really like VII, and definitely think it's the best PS1 Final Fantasy game. It handles it's spectacle well and has compelling characters, unlike VIII (definitely) and IX (for the most part). I just wish it had a better translation...

That being said, I feel that FFX is probably a better game overall. I also have a real soft spot for the first game, which is a great NES game. I might as well keep stating the obvious, and say VI is really good as well.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@lawgamer said:
    @teddie said:

Clearly the correct answer is XII, and anyone who says X is clearly an uncultured philistine.

I cannot argue with that logic. I can easily swap between VI and XII being my favorite with VIII's lunacy also coming close in the running.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tactics is objectively the best Final Fantasy game ever.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

7 is likely the one I had the most fun with, though 7 through 10 were really solid.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably 14. 12 was also good. 10 was alight at the time, haven't played most of others.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X all the way. XII is for lazy jerks that cant be bothered to actually play the game they are playing and are ok with not pressing buttons 95% of the game. Fight me.

P.S. 12 is fine.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

VII is the only one I've ever finished. I've put a decent amount of time into VI a couple times but it's never grabbed me, and I think X is straight up awful as far as the story goes.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I really liked 7, 6 and 12, in that order. 8 was okay, too, at the time.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XII is my favorite as a gut reaction, but its the only one I haven't played since it has come out, finally got a PS4 so I'm stoked for the re-mastered version. I honestly have a hard time with some moments of X and I honestly don't enjoy it as much as the others. I'll also play that GBA remake of FF1 from time to time...

Never touched the MMO's that much and I'll pick up the ps1 and snes games when I get an itch to hear some of the music and sounds.

Just picked up XV and I'm excited to get through it.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here, here! Also, why wasn't this a poll?

FFVIII is my favorite numbered FF, followed by VI, VII, IV, XII and then the others is some indeterminate order.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite! i love that game so damn much.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By katpottz

FFV if talking mainline FF's (Unfortunately not a lot of people have played it outside of japan.)

I think most people who choose 6 would switch over to 5 if they had a chance to play it in their youth.

if we're talking spin off then it's a tie between tactics advance and disdidia.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I'm always going to answer Final Fantasy VI every time this thread is re-posted. FF VI has a great story, great characters, great soundtrack, great graphics, great systems for character development and a great battle system.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katpottz said:

FFV if talking mainline FF's (Unfortunately not a lot of people have played it outside of japan.)

I think most people who choose 6 would switch over to 5 if they had a chance to play it in their youth.

if we're talking spin off then it's a tie between tactics advance and disdidia.

FFV is probably my favorite, aside from Tactics. The class system is good, and there is just something about the tone of that game that is a bit lighter than many of the others. I still enjoy the original as well.

VIII would be much higher on my list if it weren't for that garbage junction system that made every character play the same.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dissidia. Fan-fiction fights all day erry day.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy 7 is my personal favorite, but 6,7,8,9,10,12, and Tactics are all great games.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GiantLizardKing

FF VI has the best story and the most unique setting I think. The sort of magic infused early industrial theme isn't one often explored. The battle system, while not as good as FF Vs, has really cool unique abilities for each character and more customization than most entries in the franchise. The PSX games don't hold up well as the load times are unbearable and they look like the dire straits money for nothing video taking place on beautifully rendered realistic backgrounds.

The ranks for me goes

1. FFVI
    2. FF Tactics (if it counts)
    3. FF V
    4. FF IV
    5. FFX
    6. Who cares?

Didn't play anything past FFX.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I have the most emotional attachment to X. So that is probably my favorite. I do however think the other ones I really like (6,7,9,12) are all so different from each other, that in any given day I'll think more fondly of one compared to the others just because of the mood I'm in. Being in the mood for FF7 and FF12 are two very different feelings.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

The level design is fantastic,

I played about 40 hours of FFX before the PS2 disc crapped out on me, so I didn't finish it, but from what I played the "level design" consists of a straight line. It's easily as linear as FFXIII. I wound up liking what I played of FFX quite a bit, by the way, but that game didn't have any level design. It was "corridor with random encounters, boss, town, corridor with random encounters, with a generous dose of cutscenes".

Final Fantasy VI is probably my personal favorite, followed by IV, then XII (which I didn't finish either), and X. I've also played I, V, VII, IX, XIII, and the beta for XIV, but I don't feel strongly enough about any of those to rank them.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
    deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FFVI and FFV are my favorites by a wide margin.

The Tactics games are all good too.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BoOzak

@justin258: Maybe he meant the levels look nice, which they do, or did. There are some really beautiful corridors in X & XIII.

X is my favourite. The combat is simple but I never liked the ATB guage or any of that nonsense so I was fine to see it go. And I liked the idea of going on some weird pilgrimage and being rewarded with a new summon at each temple was a good incentive to suffer through those dumb puzzles.

I really wish the road trip in FFXV was more than just driving around in a big circle the whole time. (and not being able to accept more than one hunt at a time didnt help either)

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cmblasko

There should be a spot next to your post count that displays your Final Fantasy, like:

#20 Posted by cmblasko (42 posts) (FF6) - 1 hour ago

This should be mandatory on every video game message board.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I had the most fun playing Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls. I had this notion to play every FF game from 1 to whatever the number was at that time (I think it was only 12 at that point) but I only managed to burn through 1 and 2 and the bonus content that they put into the remake. I started both the DS remake of III and the GBA remake of IV (which I got really far in before losing steam) but never followed through on my original idea. I have played almost all of them in fits and starts, but I just never got as into one as the first one for some reason.

On a side note, would anyone be mad if I was true to myself and said Kingdom Hearts? :D

j87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By j87

IX. I really liked VI, VII and VIII as well.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

VI

I've never played a game with such a massive cast where every single cast member (with the exception of the two "hidden" ones) gets some kind of development and backstory so they all at LEAST feel genuine and real.

The writing's amazing and it has one of the best villains in all videogames as well as one of the more well-realized, lived-in worlds.

Markus1395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Markus1395

This is the correct answer. Hell, if you were to ask me, it's the best game ever, period, not just the best FF.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Onemanarmyy

FF VIII and FF X matter the most to me

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Turambar

The correct answer is VI.

Second place is a mishmash of V, IV, IX, XII and XIV.

I enjoyed playing XIII-2 more than X. Fight me.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer that we won't get to hear Brad and Drew discuss FF 6 (The best numbered, FF game. It's simply scientific fact!) more.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to like 12 the most but holy cow, are those characters boring or what? VII is probably my favorite just because it's first final fantasy as well as jrpg that I had played.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By tatsuyarr

X and X-2 are my favourites and X was the game that convinced me to buy a PS2. I loved the characters, the story, the music themes and the gameplay. XII was not bad either and will happily buy it again next July.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VI, VIII, XII. In that order.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since we're allowing Tactics, then I'll say Tactics hands down. Of the proper numbered series, I'll say 3(6) for the SNES.

I liked 7 when it came out, but I don't think it aged well. I also think 10 is the worst, because I hated the writing and characters, Tidus most of all. I would confidently say that Tidus is my least favorite video game character of all time. I hate him. I super hate him, and I would let him die... also fuck blitz ball, and Wakku. That dude sucks too.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

6 > Tactics > 9

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nine. I've been soured by my inability to play Final Fantasy VII long enough to get to the change disc screen. Plus I've barely played Six.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like Final Fantasy games very much, i've played a few of them and 13 is my favorite for being shorter and easier to play.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BrunoTheThird

I really love IX. The beautiful backgrounds, French aesthetics, and more storybook kind of feel really ignited the childlike side in me when I first played it back in 2008. Very sweet game. Also, Vivi is my favourite FF character ever. His design and mannerisms make me happy inside...

I like VIII despite a lot of the niggles, but VII really stuck with me, character-wise. VII and IX feel the most timeless of the 3D era games, as VIII aged weirdly in my mind. I found it a chore to lose myself in, because -- though the junction system was a cool concept -- I was surprised how many staples of the series' systems it played a part in, and I found it tricky to learn the ins and outs of when I just wanted to run around and FF it up. I loved traveling around in it a lot, though, and will defend its moments of greatness (that witch boss is pretty cool).

I loved the first ten chapters of FFXV. This road movie of a reluctant king finding his way in this beautiful, alternate reflection of the real world and embracing his fate with support from so many different characters was a real blast to play. It became absolute nonsense for the next however many hours, sadly, but the final chapter was cool. The locations are stunning and fun to fight in. The dungeons can draaaaag, but I dig it, and a handful of characters really stuck with me. I'd say it's my third favourite of the 3D era.

IX, VII, XV, VIII, X. My top five.

V and VI are possibly the best, I think. Not my favourite, but brilliant. Better in a lot of ways than my choices. I will replay them one day, and I bet VI will take the place of X or VIII. I never played XII, and am excited for the Zodiac Edition. I will prepare my mind for Vaan, but maybe he's more bearable in Japanese?

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy XV is one of my favorite games of all time despite it being clearly unfinished. So that one.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lv4Monk

If you wanna play FF1 play the PS1 version. Closest to the original game with great music and decent visuals. Future versions fuck up the magic system and heavily reduce the overall difficulty while the NES version is totally broken.

Otherwise I always recommend FFV. Mechanically speaking I feel FFVI and VII are similarly simplified and poorly balanced, though I give the edge to VI for it's distinct characters (and the music/visuals hold up FAR better). FFIV is my favorite of that style (2/4/6/7).

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dissidia. Fan-fiction fights all day erry day.

Get with the times, we have fan-fiction dancing now.

No Caption Provided

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Tactics Advance second

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RosesAreDan

IX hands down.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IX is the only one I can say I legitimately love.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've actually already ranked every Final Fantasy game from best to worst (updated as recently as a week ago because of a similar Waypoint topic: Favourite (1) to least favourite of those I've played a decent amount.

1. Final Fantasy X - my absolute favourite game of all time, I adore it. I feel such a kinship with Tidus. I won't go into depth right now, but I will say that this is the most important piece of media from my entire life. It helped me significantly through my childhood, and helped me cope with many illnesses that ripped years and friendships away from my life. FFX's sincerity speaks to me still. I love the music (Besaid Island is my favourite song of all time), the battle system, the sphere grid, the item system, the setting, the characters, and the general charm of the story.
    2. Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Love the story of this (and the time/alternate ending framework). The battle system is like a refined version of XIII (which I already liked).
    3. Final Fantasy XIII - I like the structure a lot (it's very similar to X's linearity) and enjoy it throughout. The world-building and set pieces are some of the best in the franchise. The battle system is fantastic too.
    4. Final Fantasy XII - The most unique of the main ones I've completed. Once accepting Vaan's story isn't so important, it really gets into high gear. Balthier, Ashe, and Basch steal the show. The Gambit system really preys on my OCD (and I mostly enjoy that)
    5. Final Fantasy X-2 - While not thrilled with all the fan service and mini-games (or the villains), I do like this game a lot (especially for the story of Yuna and the expression of Spira free from the shackles of sin). Also, the best ATB battle system in the franchise.
    6. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - Still need to enter the final day and see the epilogue/New Game +, but the Majora's Mask-like lonely surreal tale is very compelling.
    7. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - I dislike a lot about this game, but Zack's endearing self-doubting heroism hit me hard when I played it.
    8. Final Fantasy XV - I'm only on Chapter 3 as I'm a slow player, but I'll definitely return to it to flesh out my thoughts.
    9. Final Fantasy VIII - FFVIII has got to be the most ambitious game in the franchise. It may make some massive mistakes, but you have to respect how it just keeps pushing despite it. Really underrated in my opinion (and I only saw the game completed for the first time by Zombiepie in the GBCERVII - since I didn't get very far in myself on PS1)
    10. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - it's a pretty fun rhythm game of FF music - job done.
    11. Final Fantasy VII - I stopped on Disk 3 when it stopped registering. My memory of this game is faint (these characters are very forgettable).
    12. Final Fantasy VI - I've only played for a couple hours. Going back to a 2D Final Fantasy game without growing up on them is very difficult.
    13. Dissidia Final Fantasy - it's an enjoyable fighting game.
    14. Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - Has it's moments, but mostly bullshit.
    15. Final Fantasy Tactics - bounced off when I realised it didn't fill my strategy-game interests which align more with Fire Emblem.
    16. Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light - this is one of the most forgettable games I've ever played.
    17. Final Fantasy III - played the DS version for a dozen or so hours. Might just be that version, but it was truly terrible. The characters are outright annoying. The combat is slow and boring. The story wasn't compelling in any way what-so-ever.

Bold = Completed; Italics = Unsure of placement/need to play more.

<3 Final Fantasy is such an important franchise for me. Putting this list together had it's difficult moments. Places 4 through 9 could easily be rearranged if I argued with myself enough. FFX will always be my favourite game of all time though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.