Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

It's Months Away, But Let's Speculate About The 35th Anniversary Event For Final Fantasy

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Preamble

We are all getting older.
    We are all getting older.

On December 18, 2022, the Final Fantasy franchise will turn thirty-five. It's a crazy fact that puts your life into perspective, but it is true. However, we are not here to fall into existential crises about the fragility of human life! We are here to do what all good internet essayists or bloggers do these days: rampantly speculate about shit we don't know! Not only that, but we will speculate with a false sense of authority that has only a partial foundation on factual information! This point leads me to my yearly disclaimer of sorts. Everything I write and discuss in this blog is not based on first-hand knowledge of Square-Enix's business matters. Some of my "predictions" are pie-in-the-sky aspirations, whereas others are practically layups.

With that out of the way, some of you may recall that I typically wait until Summer when sharing theories about what I think Square-Enix has in store for the year. I'm doing things differently this time around for a few reasons. My old predictions blogs would coincide with E3, and with that convention all but dead, I had to retool things. Likewise, information about what Square-Enix is planning for the Final Fantasy 35th-Anniversary Event is already leaking at a breakneck speed, with reports about a Final Fantasy IX remaster coming out weekly. The company even opened the anniversary event website to the public months ago. Additionally, I ditched my speculation about the company's management of Eidos and Crystal Dynamics because I found the entire situation there a depression factory. I could have talked about Square-Enix screwing the pooch last year with Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, but I don't want to spend over half a blog yelling at the top of my lungs.

Finally, I want to make one point of clarification before we continue. I am NOT YOUR PERSON for speculating on the future of Final Fantasy XIV and possible community-pleasing patches or updates. I have yet to touch the game and did not feel equipped to talk about Square-Enix's potential plans for it. There's no doubting the game will be present at the anniversary event in some form. However, if you want to read up on what the company might have up its sleeves, might I suggest The Lodestone or Fanbyte? Otherwise, yeah, there will be Final Fantasy XIV shit at this event that will throw the internet into a tizzy. With all of that behind us, let's get on with the rampant rumor-mongering!

Prediction #1: A Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Switch Port

Please, make this happen!
    Please, make this happen!

If you have been following my Final Fantasy predictions for a while, you know I have made this prognosis for the past two years. This time, however, I think things will be different. With the eventually shuttering of the 3DS eShop, there are fewer and fewer ways for people to play Theatrhythm legally. The Android and iOS versions of the game were discontinued ages ago when Square-Enix decided to pass on updating the app for modern mobile operating systems. With the death of the 3DS storefronts imminent, mountains of eShop exclusive Theatrhythm content will soon be lost to time unless Square-Enix does something about it. As I mentioned last year, the easiest way to play Theatrhythm that does not involve online scalpers or piracy is to track down your nearest Round1 and see if they have the arcade game. However, I know Square-Enix will never turn down a quick buck, and making a Switch port of the original game sure seems like easy money.

While the Switch has become the place of second chances for Wii U titles, it has also had its fair share of 3DS re-releases. Rune Factory 4 and Monster Hunter Generations are perfect examples of this. Furthermore, if we look at things pragmatically, a Switch port for Theatrhythm doesn't seem that crazy. The game's touch-based rhythm mechanics seem like a perfect fit for the console, and its often leisurely pace makes it an ideal fit for people who prefer to play their Switches undocked. Furthermore, its chibi aesthetic will not be incredibly taxing on even launch window Switches. Square-Enix has repeatedly announced that they want to invest in games that lend themselves to DLC and microtransactions (i.e., Chocobo GP), and Theatrhythm already did that years ago. After its initial release, the game had exhaustive support with dozens of song packs and story modes that kept fans happy and invested. If ever there was a game that allowed Square-Enix to have their cake and eat it, this is it!

Prediction #2: Final Fantasy IX Is Getting A Remaster (But NOT A "Remake")

If all they do is make a version of FF9 with the Dissidia art; I would be okay with that.
    If all they do is make a version of FF9 with the Dissidia art; I would be okay with that.

Yeah, I know. This item is low-hanging fruit, but I still want to discuss this point in detail. A while back, many of you may recall that a programmer reverse engineered Nvidia's streaming service GeForce Now and discovered that there were listings for Square-Enix games that had not been announced yet. Most notably, remasters for Kingdom Hearts 4, Chrono Cross, and Final Fantasy IX were on that list. With the Chrono Cross remaster out, many have returned to the original leaked document and have started salivating at the prospect that Final Fantasy IX might get the Remake treatment. However, with more leaks and information coming out about the project, a less ambitious and more traditional remaster seems to be in the works. While disappointing to Final Fantasy IX die-hards, it's better than nothing. Whatever it might be, I just hope that Square-Enix learned their lesson with the Final Fantasy VIII Remaster and put some love and attention into whatever they have planned for IX.

I'm going to be honest with all of you: I'm not that excited about a Final Fantasy IX Remaster. For one thing, while I enjoy the game, it's not my cup of tea. I find its version of the ATB system plodding and its cast of characters among the least exciting of the PS1 era. I know that last point might get me in trouble with some Final Fantasy fans out there, but the story in the game never resonated with me outside of a few touching moments involving Vivi. Also, the idea that Square-Enix is just making a version of the game with improved visuals and some quality-of-life additions (i.e., fast forward, God Mode, EXP boosters, etc.) but with the core gameplay intact does not have me jumping for joy. That's also the case if its slow one-on-one combat sequences are still there or its fiddly gem-based leveling mechanic remains untouched. More importantly, the game's current iOS, Android, and Steam ports already do what the rumors are saying the new remaster will accomplish. So, I have to ask, what is this new version of Final Fantasy IX going to bring to the table beyond better graphics and faster load times?

I wonder what anyone gets from an "official" HD Remaster of Final Fantasy IX where the game is running on Unreal Engine 5, or the characters look like their Dissidia counterparts. We live in a world where the Moguri Mod has already faithfully revamped the PC version. Most Final Fantasy IX fans are perfectly content with a PC game that looks and feels like a PS1 game without any downsides. There's also the highly ambitious Final Fantasy IX fan game that I'm confident will never see the light of day because it is one DMCA takedown away from being shit-canned. However, it's telling that whenever online trolls "leak" this rumored Final Fantasy IX remaster, they always use still images pulled from that fan game. This rambling on my part is to say that Square-Enix better not shit out another lazy PS1-era Final Fantasy port. The competition is fierce, and Final Fantasy IX fans will fucking kill you.

Prediction #3: Pixel Remaster Console Ports

How is this still a problem?
    How is this still a problem?

Bad fonts be damned, but how has this not happened already?As of the publishing of this blog, the Pixel Remaster editions of Final Fantasy I through VI are still exclusive to iOS, Android, and Steam. Despite these games being a potential treasure trove of money for Square-Enix on the Switch alone, there is NO legal home console medium to play these games. There are a lot of fan theories as to why this is the case, and some of you have even asked Jeff Grubb to investigate the matter, but I think there are two logical theories that explain the situation. The first is that Square-Enix has approached one of the console manufacturers to secure a home console exclusivity contract and is awaiting to announce the final details of this contract during a major press conference, like the Final Fantasy Anniversary Event. Sony and Nintendo are the most likely candidates for a home console timed exclusivity contract. This would be incredibly disappointing if it is true. Despite some niggling issues here and there, I think the Pixel Remasters for I through VI should be available on as many legal platforms as possible because they are fantastic gateway opportunities to old-school and modern JRPGs. JRPG enthusiasm benefits MASSIVELY from these ports being available on all major consoles; fanboyism be DAMNED!

The second explanation leads us to one of the underreported negative consequences of the Final Fantasy 35th Anniversary Event. For reasons still unknown, Square-Enix has the nasty habit of holding on to Final Fantasy-related projects until a significant press conference comes rolling. If you pressed me on it, I would guess that the Pixel Remasters' PS5, Xbox Series X, and Switch ports are complete, but Square-Enix is withholding them to fill out their itinerary for the Anniversary Event. Square-Enix has a respectable amount of excitement to have a more jam-packed event than five years ago, and this seems like a decent way to get the internet to "pop." I can almost envision precisely the look and feel of the announcement trailer. It will start with OG footage of Final Fantasy I and then "magically" wipe transition to footage of the Pixel Remaster. And when the trailer is over, you'll see "Pixel Remaster" trending on social media again, with thousands sharing they are excited to buy the games a second time. I am 1,000% certain that is how this scenario plays out, and there's nothing you or I can do to stop it. Welcome to late-game capitalism, my friends!

Prediction #4: More Mobile Gacha Games & Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin Gets DLC

This game isn't out yet, and you have to imagine it will be at the event as well.
    This game isn't out yet, and you have to imagine it will be at the event as well.

Saying that the current era of Square-Enix will announce a new Final Fantasy mobile game is like saying "water is wet." Besides Final Fantasy XIV, mobile games continue to be one of Square-Enix's most reliable sources of revenue. However, the mobile market is fickle, and Square-Enix's general strategy is to shutter mobile games that have existed for more than four years and replace them with new gacha properties. There are a handful of exceptions (i.e., Brave Exvius and Opera Omnia), but these examples are not the norm. Go back to the 30th-anniversary event's itinerary and look at the mobile gacha games they either revealed or shared plans for expansion. Then, note which ones are no longer playable. Mobius Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy Grandmasters, Pictlogica Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy Dimensions II, and Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade are either dead or have ended their online modes, and they featured prominently during the 30th-anniversary conference!

Nonetheless, mobile games will be present at the 35th-anniversary event, come hell or high water. As I said in the previous chapter, it will happen, and there's nothing you and I can do to stop it. Regardless, suppose you want a more "ambitious" prediction. In that case, I'd hazard to say whatever new mobile experiment Square-Enix has in store for audiences will NOT be related to Final Fantasy VII Remake. Final Fantasy VII Ever Crisis and The First Soldier are priorities, and Square-Enix is still actively supporting them. It would be stupid on Square-Enix's part to crowd further the Final Fantasy VII Remake mobile "market." So, because I am feeling feisty, I think they are announcing a mobile Final Fantasy Tactics gacha game that no one wants! Don't lie; you can see that being a thing the company does!

Give me even MORE CHAOS!
    Give me even MORE CHAOS!

Regarding the second part of this prediction, some of you may recall that Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin was the "big reveal" of the company's E3 2021 presentation. During this, Square-Enix said it would release in 2022 as a "celebration" of the franchise's 35th anniversary. The game's level design, job system, campy tone, and grim-dark look are not for everyone, but the game has enjoyed a moderate community of defenders. Likewise, it sounds as if it met Square-Enix's arbitrary sales targets, which would suggest it is something the company wants to support with additional content. Now, I know what those who have played Final Fantasy Origin are thinking. "But ZombiePie, Final Fantasy Origin has a natural ending, and an expansion pack doesn't make sense!" To which I reply, when has that ever stopped Square-Enix?

For those who wish to avoid spoilers for Final Fantasy Origin, you should skip this paragraph and move on to my fifth prediction. I think a potential expansion for the game could bridge the gap between its ending to the start of Final Fantasy I. The culminating event could manifest what happened to Garland after the Warriors of Light defeated him the first time around. You could have him travel the spirit realm and gain sources of power from more Final Fantasy games before readying himself for the final confrontation with the Warriors of Light. To make this more doable as an expansion pack or DLC, you could limit things to the 8-bit and 16-bit eras. Perhaps they could place an even greater emphasis on Final Fantasy I, given the subject matter. All I do know is I think there's more room to revisit this crazy and wild world than some fans are suggesting. And to anyone who might contend that the game's recent release would make it challenging to develop an expansion in such a short time, I again emphasize "DLC."

Prediction #5: Final Fantasy XVI Gets A Gameplay Sizzle Reel

Ah, yes, a totally different game about a different angry man.
    Ah, yes, a totally different game about a different angry man.

There are games we KNOW will be present at the 35th Anniversary Event, and then there are games that NEED to be present. Final Fantasy XVI is the one Final Fantasy property that has the most to gain from attending Square-Enix's big showcase. Since its reveal and story trailer during the 2020 PlayStation 5 showcase, the company has been tight-lipped about the game. More details were promised to come out during "Spring 2022" after the project skipped the 2021 Tokyo Game Show. Before anyone suggests that the game is in "development Hell" or in a troubled state, I think Square-Enix has sufficiently clarified why it has been absent from multiple conferences and presentations. Square Enix's Creative Business Unit III, the team behind Final Fantasy XIV, leads the project. They needed to prioritize getting XIV back on course after the hiccups it experienced earlier this year, and I don't blame the company for doing that. Likewise, I trust their repeated claims that Final Fantasy XVI has been a challenging project to manage during the COVID-19 pandemic. This game is a AAA title with massive expectations, and it is being developed under less than ideal circumstances. There's no denying that it will need more time.

However, there's one aspect to Final Fantasy XVI that I want to say Square-Enix needs to clarify sooner rather than later, and that's the gameplay direction of the project. While the game's characters and story are out there, the core gameplay has been limited to vagaries. Sure, we know it will be an "action role-playing game," which rules out it being a return to turn-based combat, but that's about it. When the game was first announced, Square-Enix even shared that it would have different modes of play available to the user. In one particular quote, they said there would be one mode that "focuses on the story of the game and provides hints as to what to do next." Naoki Yoshida (aka, Yoshi-P) further stated that this mode will include "a variety of support actions" and be "easy to get the hang of." Which led to some Final Fantasy fans assuming, incorrectly if you ask me, that the game would have a turn-based combat toggle similar to Final Fantasy VII Remake. However, with that being all fans have had for years, who can blame them for jumping to conclusions?

For all of these reasons, if Final Fantasy XVI has a presence at the 35th-anniversary event, and I think it should, it needs to provide a better idea of how it will play. Again, fans already trust Yoshi-P enough to helm a decent story, and millions of Final Fantasy XIV fans are ready to stand by him in that regard. However, designing the gameplay for an MMORPG is different from designing the gameplay for a predominantly single-player experience. I'm not going to rule out there being a multiplayer or cooperative element to XVI, given the statements about different modes of play. Still, it will need to be something that relies on a single player progressing through a story if it wants to be a mainline entry in the franchise with an epic and "whole" storyline. And communicating how that structure will work begets some visual or video evidence of how players tackle their foes and enemies. Likewise, if all Square-Enix shows is a story-focused trailer and not gameplay, they have to prepare themselves for a deluge of questions about the gameplay. Even if all they offer are characters doing somersaults or popping off summons indiscriminately, that should stave off some concerns.

Prediction #6: Vincent Valentine Or Zack Get The Intergrade Treatment [SPOILER WARNING!]

Alright, Square-Enix, fuck me up. Fuck me the whole way up with your stupid lore.
    Alright, Square-Enix, fuck me up. Fuck me the whole way up with your stupid lore.

Final Fantasy Remake Part 2 is going to be at this anniversary event. For months, they have been teasing the game's existence. It is safe to assume it will be the last thing Square-Enix reveals, and it will be what everyone talks about for weeks upon end. However, there's no way in HELL the game will come out in the next year. 2024 would be generous, but I wouldn't put it past Square-Enix to reveal the next episode of Final Fantasy VII Remake will release in 2025 or later. As a result, I think the company will give a character or two the "Intergrade Treatment" they gave Yuffie to keep fans patient. As things stand, I believe two characters are best suited for this: Vincent and Zack. I am going to rule out Cid because his placement is a bit further in the original game's storyline. Cait Sith isn't on my shortlist because Cait Sith sucks ass.

Vincent makes sense for a variety of reasons. Now that the Remake continuity has canonized Deepground and the likes of Weiss and Nero, Vincent is the character you tap if you want to explore that side of things. I won't suggest that if Vincent gets an expansion of sorts, it should be a fully-realized game like Dirge of Cerberus. Nonetheless, the toothpaste is out of the tube. If you take the time to have Nero as the final boss in Episode INTERmission, you might as well provide the nitty-gritty on what Deepground has been up to recently. Seriously, hit me with your best shot, Square! Fuck me up with endless anime bullshit about the Tsviets and Protomateria! Don't just give me the tip of the iceberg like in Episode INTERmission. Cut the bullshit, plop your whole ass on my face, and go to town. It's time for the Remake continuity to GET STUPID!

On the other hand, Zack would provide the mad lads at Square-Enix a different opportunity to revel in their bullshit. Curiously, while Final Fantasy VII Remake has "canonized" whole swaths of Dirge of Cerberus, there's one last significant "Compilation of Final Fantasy VII" project that has remained unaddressed. I am, of course, talking about Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII! For those that may have forgotten, during the ending of Final Fantasy VII Remake and the epilogue of "Episode INTERmission," we discover that Zack is not dead and instead on a quest to rekindle his relationship with Aerith. The reveal is one of the more stark reminders that the Remake continuity is its own thing. Likewise, it reminds everyone that the people writing it don't give a shit about fans' nostalgia for how characters were written in the original game. So, fuck it! Why not have a special "episode" where we control Zack and relive a Remake continuity interpretation of Crisis Core?

With silent lips, I say, give me your Genesis Rhapsodos, your Angeal Hewley. Your huddled Dr. Hollander yearning to breathe free. The wretched Lazard Deusericus of your teeming shore. Send angel wings, the Midgar Slums, and the apple juice factory to me. I lift my lamp beside the Project G door!

Prediction #7: Final Fantasy Remake Part 2 Will Be Present, Answer Half Of The Questions You Have For It, And Will Reveal A Party Member Not Present In The Original Game [SPOILER WARNING!]

I really wonder how Part 2 is structured.
    I really wonder how Part 2 is structured.

Before breaking into a sonnet, I hope my previous point about the Remake continuity not holding back any punches was clear. All signs suggest that Final Fantasy VII Remake was a game for fans, and the next episode will be a game for Square-Enix. After cheekily tricking fans into thinking that the Remake games would follow the source material, Square-Enix is in a position where they don't need to hold back from the get-go. As a result, I think Part 2 will make that very clear within the opening act. Even if the next game starts at Kalm and with a recollection of the "Nibelheim Incident," which is my theory, it will most certainly deviate from how we last remembered it. However, deciding on how the game starts is the most straightforward aspect of Part 2. The hard part for the development team would have been determining how to bridge the gap between it and Part 3. Will this next episode stop at Junon Harbor, the City of the Ancients, or the Crater? Only time will tell, and I don't think for a minute Square-Enix will ever reveal the stopping point of the next episode until the game releases. However, that's dancing around the issue of how Square-Enix filled in the gaps in Part 2.

Unless you have recently played the original Final Fantasy VII, you might have forgotten how open the game becomes the minute you leave Midgar. How Part 2 goes about manifesting this open-world structure is no laughing matter. Not only does the original game employ the then standard overworld, but it provides a TON of interstitial levels with supporting mini-games and side quests to boot. So, will Square-Enix trust their audience to explore things independently, or will they string us along with a linear format more like Final Fantasy X? Maybe you have an open-world exploratory structure like Final Fantasy XII where there's no overworld, but you transition from one environment to the next by butting up against the edges of maps. Again, only time will tell, but at least we have one weight off our shoulders. Through Remake and "Episode INTERmission," Square-Enix have proven that they know how to make the original mini-games in Final Fantasy VII not control like shit. Therefore, it's safe to assume all of them will be present, including sillier ones like the dolphin launching Cloud up a scaffold.

Shit is about to get weird and I'm here for it.
    Shit is about to get weird and I'm here for it.

However, let's return to the issue of Part 2 being more unhinged. I honestly think this is the game where the entire Remake team makes it very clear this is its own thing and is accountable to zero fan expectations. While Square-Enix is far from being a company that will outright say, "Fuck the fans," there's no doubting that they want people to know it's a whole different ball game. As a result, what better way to communicate that than to lop in a new party member that wasn't present in the original game? It would please no one but Square-Enix, which is why I think they would do it. They have already added in dozens of new quest-giving NPCs with intricate and complex storylines. How much of a leap would it be to add a new party member to the mix? Now, if Square-Enix were in a real combative mood, this new character would replace the likes of Cid, Vincent, or Cait Sith. I don't think they would go that route, but with Deepground and Zack on the fucking table, I think anything goes at this point!

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Prediction: I'm gonna spend way too much money buying these T-shirts from Uniqlo

https://www.uniqlo.com/jp/ja/special-feature/ff35th

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apart from the big hitters I would love to play their new strategy games on something that is not a Switch.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Broshmosh

Unfortunately I am not as optimistic as you @zombiepie. I firmly believe SE will double-down on its promises of NFTs, and its egregious adoption of MTX. We will see at least two new PC/Console/Mobile games with heavy reliance on MTX, probably another gacha. They will also talk about FF16, but I believe this will be a gameplay reel, followed immediately by an explanation of how mods will be paid-for and immediately minted as NFTs.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever it is, I'm guessing it will involve belts. Lots and lots of belts.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZombiePie  Staff

@broshmosh: yikes... I definitely forgot about NFTs when writing this article. While I do agree that they will be at the event, knowing what the company needs to do even before they get to NFTs should be enough to satisfy long-time FF fans. More 14 content and 7R Part 2 will be there. Anything else is just cake.

@theonewhoplays: yup... I would love to play ANY of their tactics games on the PC, but knowing their track record when it comes to PC ports, I might be setting myself up for disappointment. That said, SE PC ports always end up with amazing mod communities. Just look at XV.

@chamurai: I have been looking at those shirts for a while and I think there are no less than five that I have the uncontrollable desire to buy. Darn it...

Avatar image for deactivated-63d17e8766caf
    deactivated-63d17e8766caf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Final Fantasy pachinko that pays out in NFTs.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ZombiePie  Staff

Final Fantasy pachinko that pays out in NFTs.

If pachislot worked for Umineko and Metal Gear Solid, it could work for Final Fantasy!

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I want that Switch Theaterhythm SO BAD. I played that arcade one at the last con I went to pre-covid, and so much good stuff has been added since the 3DS one stopped. If nothing else I just want an up-to-date group of FFXIV music, I wanna play Metal (Brute Justice) in a rhythm game again!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I figure they put all the source code for their games on a pile and then pee over it while laughing and high fiving. Then they burn it all, and sell you a deepfried meme version of Final Fantasy VIII where the midi soundtrack sounds like something is melting. To close it off, they tell the audience that the western studio's of Square Enix are responsible for this behavior.

mrbootyshank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spirits Within 2, or a TV show set in Ivalice. Go ahead SE, I dare ya!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.