Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

Favorite Lead Final Fantasy Character?

• 89 results
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Poll Favorite Lead Final Fantasy Character? (253 votes)

Warrior of Light (Final Fantasy) 1%
    Firion (Final Fantasy II) 0%
    Onion Knight (Final Fantasy III) 1%
    Cecil Harvey (Final Fantasy IV) 12%
    Bartz Klauser (Final Fantasy V) 2%
    Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) 17%
    Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII) 15%
    Squal Leonheart (Final Fantasy VIII) 8%
    Zidane Tribal (Final Fantasy IX) 23%
    Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 8%
    Yuna (Final Fantasy X2) 2%
    Vaan (Final Fantasy XII) 1%
    Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII & Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII) 10%
    Serah Farron (Final Fantasy XIII-2) 1%

With there being a bunch of buzz about the upcoming Final Fantasy XV I thought it would be fun to take a look in the past at former characters in the lead roles of previous games. Who's your favorite? Mine is a toss up of Squall and Lightning. Which fun fact as far as I know she is the only character to get multiple lead roles in main line Final Fantasy games!

• 
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

My vote goes for Laguna Loire, FFVIII's alternate main character. Love that guy, leg cramps and all.

Loading Video...

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Cecil.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Zeik

Zidane is my favorite. I'm surprised he's actually winning the poll though. Good on you Giantbomb.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think FF6 had a direct lead. Terra was the protagonist for like the first quarter of the game, then she stopped being the focus IIRC.

SpecDotSign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@encephalon: This. Or Balthier. Don't care if he wasn't the main lead, he was awesome.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@mcghee said:

My vote goes for Laguna Loire, FFVIII's alternate main character. Love that guy, leg cramps and all.

Loading Video...

Leg cramps, or "leg cramps"? :P

But yeah, Laguna's battle theme kicks ass.

tehbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't carefully think it over and picked Cecil. Because my pos coworker insists that Cloud is a better character and that is nonsense.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Come on, Vaan isn't the main in FF12. I pick Ashe.

But since she isn't in the poll options, It's Lightning followed by Zidane. But honestly, FF leads are all pretty crap.

For comparison, I call 10 my favorite FF game, followed by 7... But definitely not because of the lead characters.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@d_bones said:

It seems that for the more modern Final Fantasy's the main protagonists fall into 2 main categories of straight faced (Cloud, Squall, Lightning) versus happy go lucky (Zidane, Tidus, Vaan) . I think I fall into the liking of the happy go lucky protagonists more or rather I enjoy those games more for unrelated reasons giving those characters a more positive light. All I know is that XV looks pretty good and will feature another protagonist who seems to fall into the "straight faced" category so here's hoping Noctis is well written.

Cloud wasn't a straight faced serious guy, he was an incompetent dork who wanted to be someone he couldn't live up to. Unfortunately, his character arc is ignored in all subsequent movies/games and they instead go back to portraying him as king of the emo. A shame, because if you just play the main game, he's definitely one of the best lead characters.

But because of how mishandled and milked he's been since then, I'd go with Cecil or Terra.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By EchoEcho

@animasta said:

@pyromagnestir said:

Is Vaan really the main character of FFXII? I'd say that's a disputable claim.

if OP had put the real main character (Ashe), I would've picked that

Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly, but wasn't Basch originally intended to be the main character, before someone decided they needed a younger lead because of "blah blah blah target demographics" and shoehorned Vaan into the role?

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted for ZIdane. The thief with a heart of gold is hardly an original character concept but I think it was played well. I thought his relationships with characters like Garnet and Vivi were really good.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tidus.
    When the penny finally drops for him in regards to what's going to happen to Yuna when her pilgrimage is over, he becomes a totally different character than the "Ah come on, let's have some fun, woo"-guy that he is for most of the game

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By Red

I haven't beaten many Final Fantasies, but I've played pretty much all of them. I quite liked Zidane and Cloud as far as JRPG protagonists go. While not included Ramza was an interesting and well-developed character. Zach Fair from Crisis Core also gets points for being a JRPG protagonist that is not creepily upbeat, headstrong, stoic, androgynous, or trying super hard to look cool. Ultimately, however, my vote goes to Terra. Less-so because of her, but more because FF6 is such an ensemble game I considered Celes, Edgar, and Locke just as much protagonists as her.

Worst character ever award goes to Vaan by a landslide, though. I tried very hard to get into FF12, but I kept getting stopped by...him.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#64  Edited By Mezmero

I think Zidane was probably the best written but that's more a product of the time that game came out. My problem with him is that he's yet another Sun Wukong parable and I feel like I've seen better renditions of that tall tale. In the end I went with Cecil because I think his character arc was far more interesting at the time. He was straight up the black knight to his kingdom who was charged with slaughtering anyone by the command of the king. Then he proceeds to go through a redemptive arc where he becomes a completely different character class. Good stuff. He really is one of the reasons that it's one of my favorite FF games of all time.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

I only really played 6 and 13 so out of the two I liked Lightning because she was close to something resembling a real human being in the Final Fantasy universe.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never really much cared for the leads. I didn't hate Squall though. On another note I think Seifers character was wasted potential. So much depth could have been put into him, but wasen't. Also I think originally they wanted more focus on the love triangle in that game, but that never really came to fruition. I feel like I'm going off topic now. My vote is Squall, simply for the character development.

maybe I should point out, I've only played 4 FF games. lol that limits me a little.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@hailinel said:

As much as I love Terra, her role as the game's lead isn't as prominent with the large cast and the extended periods of time she's not with the party. I'd say that at this point, my favorite Final Fantasy lead is Lightning. A great character and a perfect point of balance in the party.

No Caption Provided

I haven't actually played FFXIII or its spinoff, but I almost never see people complain about Lightning and, from what I've seen of the games, she seems like an all right character who happens to be surrounded by insufferable idiots. As opposed to the other way around, where an insufferable idiot is surrounded by all right characters, e.g. FFXII.

She's a female version of Cloud.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Zack Fair was fantastic in Crisis Core, though I chose Terra.

emoney244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By emoney244

Cecil is the only right answer.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tie between Cloud and Zidane for me. Both are great for different reasons.

Lowfyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zidane of course.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going Zidane cos FFIX is my favourite in the series and he's just a stand-up dude. Unlike Cloud, Squall and (although I love VI to bits too) Terra, he only has two sequences of moping in which the party members tell him to shut the fuck up and so he does. No contrived inner darkness for him and he's the fucking Angel of Death.

It was close between him, Terra and Lightning though. Sad to see no love for Firion though, I really didn't like FFII but I played a lot of Firion when I played Dissidia and he seemed like a cool enough guy.

Anyone who voted for Tidus is a bad person, though.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since I only played VI....well Terra

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By MOAB
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MideonNViscera

I picked Cecil since Locke wasn't an option.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
    CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Zidane. He's pretty much Aladdin, a rogue with a heart of gold. If anything he feels a bit too altruistic at times.

I'm kinda curious about Noctis. He seems very much the brooding type so I hope he doesn't get completely stuck in that archetype for the entire game.

Never thought of it like that, FFIX is totally Aladdin

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Terra is not the lead of FF VI. There is no real lead for the first part of the game (although I would argue it's Locke) and Celes is the lead for the second.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where the hell is Ramza? I am disappoint, son.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MezZa

Gotta go with Zidane. 9's my favorite FF and I really enjoy all of the characters in it. They got a lot right with that game.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#80  Edited By Dixavd

@d_bones said:

It seems that for the more modern Final Fantasy's the main protagonists fall into 2 main categories of straight faced (Cloud, Squall, Lightning) versus happy go lucky (Zidane, Tidus, Vaan) . I think I fall into the liking of the happy go lucky protagonists more or rather I enjoy those games more for unrelated reasons giving those characters a more positive light. All I know is that XV looks pretty good and will feature another protagonist who seems to fall into the "straight faced" category so here's hoping Noctis is well written.

Just so you know, Square did a big live stream throughout E3 and during one of the interviews with Tetsuya Nomura he was asked about if he had anything to say about Noctis since he has had quite a solid following since his reveal years ago. His response was that he knows people think he is "cool" but he isn't, he described him as actually being "silly". (They currently haven't uploaded the Livestream yet, but eventually it will be on this Youtube channel, SquareEnixPresents). So yeah, expect him to not necessarily be a happy-go-lucky character but he definitely isn't "straight faced". I think that moment in the reveal trailer this year when you see a young Noctis laugh at his father not liking the food was meant to represent his silly side (and in theory, it will be there in some way as an adult).

-Edit- I guess I'll just add my opinion on the poll here:

I know some people hated him, but I still really like Tidus. I really like the mix of Tidus's childish side that wants everyone else to figure it out for him; and the side of him that knows they are all following the wrong thing, and they'll only stop following the same vicious-cycle if he forces them to see how insane they are acting.

Still, my favourite lead character in a final fantasy game is Zack from Crisis Core. He has my favourite story arc of any character ever.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@believer258 said:

@hailinel said:

As much as I love Terra, her role as the game's lead isn't as prominent with the large cast and the extended periods of time she's not with the party. I'd say that at this point, my favorite Final Fantasy lead is Lightning. A great character and a perfect point of balance in the party.

No Caption Provided

I haven't actually played FFXIII or its spinoff, but I almost never see people complain about Lightning and, from what I've seen of the games, she seems like an all right character who happens to be surrounded by insufferable idiots. As opposed to the other way around, where an insufferable idiot is surrounded by all right characters, e.g. FFXII.

She's a female version of Cloud.

She's really not. Even sharing some of the sensibilities (mostly her too cool for school personality), her role in the story is way different than Cloud's was. and by the end she has mostly gotten rid of it.

Fuck, I mean if you want to get into 13-2 she's so far removed from her origins as cloud as a girl it's crazy. Lightning returns? jeez.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about it, I don't think I like any of the lead characters. The closest would maybe be Terra, but, I don't know that I've ever felt like FF6 actually has *a* main character because of the cast of characters for that game and how it all plays out.

Maybe they've just never developed a character that genuinely speaks to me as a lead character.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am-za Beoulve

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#84  Edited By Elwoodan

Cecil or Terra, but I picked Terra because, while not the most interesting or powerful character, she manages to wrangle that whole crazy group together.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

As far as characters and story go I rank the FF games somewhere a little below the Ninja Gaiden games, with the NG characters and story being a little more believable and complex.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#86  Edited By Flappy

After going through multiple FF titles and experiencing countless hours of JRPG craziness, I have to say that Lightning is my favorite lead.

Cecil: I've played through his story half-a-dozen times and I still cringe at how...pretty he becomes once that transformation happens. Pretty awesome, but Kain is more my type.

Cloud: He's cool and everything, but years of standing in the spotlight and ridiculous amounts of fan-hype have turned him into some sort of brooding, androgynous chucklefuck. No bueno.

Squall: Blargh. I'd take Laguna any day of the week.

Zidane: Much like Cloud, he's a cool dude, but I found myself liking the other members of the cast more than him.

Tidus: I was always the type to spoil my main character in RPGS/SPRGS/etc, but even at the tender age of eight, I knew something was off with his wardrobe and the way he carried himself. Auron all the way, yo.

Vaan: HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA.

Lightning: I was caught up in the whole, "Lightning is Cloud with a skirt" hype, but as the hours stacked up and my crystarium turned into the prettiest thing in that whole game, I found myself caring about her story and the way things played out. The fact that Hope was practically glued to her hip throughout the entire game didn't hurt, either. I really hope that Square doesn't fuck up Lightning Returns. The people need some confidence heading into FFXV.

Serah: If scantily-clad girls with pink hair and the mannerisms of Japanese schoolgirls aren't your thing, just switch to Noel, 'kay? He's a chill dude with poofy pants and a role that pales in comparison to Serah's, but he's not useless by any stretch of the imagination (some of those alternate endings are pretty nooooice). Serah can only get worse better in Lightning Returns.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Ramza Beoulve easily! I don't care an awful lot for any of the main numbered FF protagonists.

Sidoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloud wasn't a straight faced serious guy, he was an incompetent dork who wanted to be someone he couldn't live up to. Unfortunately, his character arc is ignored in all subsequent movies/games and they instead go back to portraying him as king of the emo. A shame, because if you just play the main game, he's definitely one of the best lead characters.

I wish more people would realize this. Aerith's character has been twisted around in a similar way as well.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

Loading Video...

Agreed. Despite being an awkward, crampy buffoon he seems to be the only one with the competence to get anything done in FF8 World. Bonus for having the majority of his angsty backstory implied or narrated instead of playing through it like Squall.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.