Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

So I guess they're letting you play "as" Gordon Freeman

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

This is a bit bizarre, and I can't really recall the last time Valve allowed someone to use the Gordon Freeman's model or likeness in a game; his appearances list on his wiki page don't have anything in the last half-decade (and I'm not sure about some of the more recent games anyway). Square Enix has been pretty weird about teaming up with other publishers for cameo appearances, like having one of the FFXV guys show up in Assassin's Creed: Origins, but you'd figure Valve would want to keep Freeman or Half-Life stuff a bit closer to the vest. I can't tell if this means they still want to do Half-Life stuff or if they care so little about it that they'll just let other people throw him in their games?

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

What even is this game.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

what the absolute shit

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

FF XV is the strangest FF ever, I really don't like all the gimmicky stuff they do with it

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for the mods that replace the bros with the female characters. Iris, Aranea, Cindy & Luna in a party together would make this game interesting.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@puchiko said:

I can't wait for the mods that replace the bros with the female characters. Iris, Aranea, Cindy & Luna in a party together would make this game interesting.

Square themselves will do that with Final Fantasy XV-2, where for some reason all the dudes are busy doing something/get kidnapped/went on vacation/got totally wasted/some combination thereof, and the four girls use their newly-formed J-Rock band as a cover to go rescue them.

For some reason, there was a short time where I had convinced myself that FFXV actually was a game about a boy band on a road trip. That was dumb, I know, but I was kinda disappointed when I realized my delusion.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

Square is pretty weird with their Final Fantasy and other game mixes. In FF13-2 you could get N7 armor from Mass Effect. I feel like it's the latter with Valve these days, or maybe it's both. Get people still caring for Half-Life as they determine whether they personally have enough excitement to do it themselves. I mean, they allowed for Black Mesa to be a game to be purchased. I don't know.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bybeach suppresses writing down his thoughts.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#9 gamer_152  Moderator

It's really hard to imagine who this is for. There hasn't been a new Half-Life game in eleven years, Half-Life didn't have any thematic similarities with something like Final Fantasy, and there are even going to be players young enough that they have no familiarity with Gordon Freeman. It's kind of sad that we're at a point where Valve's fantastic single-player games like HL2 and Portal are now just iconography libraries for them to export to other games.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Remember Final Fantasy X? That sure was a good game.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Half life 3 confirmed. Its FF XV.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

lol okay. actually this'd be kinda funny in Monter Hunter: World. crowbar insect glaive and antlion kinsect.

Avatar image for bananasbananasbananas
    bananasbananasbananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Gordon deserves better.
    EDIT: Wait it's just armor and shit? I thought they would let you play as a Gordon Freeman character.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By DocHaus

Oh hey, I remember that tech demo Valve released with the Source engine! It was alright.

Then again, just like HL2, I can barely remember what FFXV was about. Something about an immortal guy who wanted to die so bad he dragged a prince into a hyperbolic time chamber before having a DBZ-style fight with him many years later?

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the actual fuck... Either make more half-life or more FFXV, enough with this gimmicky bullshit. I hate everything about this.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam is officially the digital online gamestop

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Square seems to be quite into these Valve deals. Remember the Chocobo courier you could get if you preordered type 0?

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure why not. Once you go Cup (Noodle) Head, you can go anywhere with your game.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's such a weird cross over. I am not precious about either franchise, and it makes me frown.

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

This is a bit bizarre, and I can't really recall the last time Valve allowed someone to use the Gordon Freeman's model or likeness in a game;

I am gonna say 2011's Renegade Ops was the last time I remember:

No Caption Provided

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm okay with this. The Assassin's Creed event was some great dumb fun, so I kinda wish they did more with this.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Super dumb, and I'll almost certainly never use this except for as a joke character in the co-op mode, but why not? Where is my Half Life Science Fair limited time event in the Lestallum power plant?

What the actual fuck... Either make more half-life or more FFXV, enough with this gimmicky bullshit. I hate everything about this.

It's just a couple models, nothing to get upset over.

iam16bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well we know Square can count to 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vasta_narada: For you maybe... For me it's symptomatic of a cancerous corporate culture that forgoes creating anything worthwhile just to capitalize on nostalgia with quick, cynical cash grabs. Fuck this and everything that lead to it.

CountDeDeDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By CountDeDeDe

I wonder if they did this model of Gordon just for this poster.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@countdedede: It's possible the Gordon model is possible to make in the multiplayer character creator. Never forget they have created a multiplayer game from FFXV.

estragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it will be like the AssCreed crossover and they'll let you play as Noctis on the next Half Life too

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I liked Final Fantasy XIII. I mean it gets a bad rap for the story, but I could at least get into it some what.

Try as I might, I could not get into FF 15 and this kind of crapola will keep me from trying in the future.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vasta_narada: For you maybe... For me it's symptomatic of a cancerous corporate culture that forgoes creating anything worthwhile just to capitalize on nostalgia with quick, cynical cash grabs. Fuck this and everything that lead to it.

It seems that Valve has lost it's creative impulse, but of course not the one to make a buck. The way the whole thing went down with HL 3 was pretty depressing, short of the fact that of course they didn't have to make one. As for Steam, the flip side of the coin well, I'm starting to rue having all my games practically in one basket, though it made sense before. I'm not claiming any absolutes, but GOG has caught up most of the way in functionality, and perhaps a bit more, subjectively at least, in customer oriented integrity.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Man..... Half Life deserves better than this.

djghostmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy XV. I gave it 100 hours and the Assassin’s Creed event got me to put the disc back in. Hell, in Origins, the sword from FFXV is my main weapon now at the endgame.

These little crossover things are dumb fun and should not be taken too seriously. I look back at the interviews about how the Creed event came together and it started off as admiration for each other’s development teams. That is cool. Marketing or not, this free stuff impacts no one negatively. And it’s not like buying the EA Origin Edition of this game gives you a different character, wherein competition has bread a case of customers not getting the “true” version of the game.

Also, the cup noodle stuff was funny even though it was delivered with a straight face.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Final Fantasy XIII. I mean it gets a bad rap for the story, but I could at least get into it some what.

Try as I might, I could not get into FF 15 and this kind of crapola will keep me from trying in the future.

That game gets a bad rap because it can take upwards of 10 hours before it's done with tutorials and opens up the world. But yes, also the story.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PurplePartyRobot

Sure, why not?

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And now you get Sims 4 outfits because why not

Loading Video...

chacobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love seeing all these fun crossovers, I really liked the Valve helmet in Nioh - the steam effect added a lot. These are free and are just developers having fun and I can't fathom why people are so upset over it when FFXV has been getting also very significant core game content for free too.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@acura_max: This is now the point where a game has officially jumped the shark.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chacobo said:

I love seeing all these fun crossovers, I really liked the Valve helmet in Nioh - the steam effect added a lot. These are free and are just developers having fun and I can't fathom why people are so upset over it when FFXV has been getting also very significant core game content for free too.

I agree with this. The game was released in a rather unfinished state and extra content to bolster what they do have is always welcomed. In fact, I have more problems with thin characterizations in the game and Square Enix using DLC is fix that problem.

@acura_max: This is now the point where a game has officially jumped the shark.

Are you implying that the game didn't jump the shark before this addition? They did add this in the base game.

Loading Video...

and then followed that up with this.

Image 1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.