Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

Clueless Gamer. Conan is RUTHLESS!

• 97 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@forteexe21: I think he stopped doing that rating bit at some point, which is a shame because I thought it was hilarious how nonsensical it was.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@wheresderrick said:

Man Tobey Maguire does not age

Secretly the best post in this whole thread.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By Zleunamme

There are times that Clueless Gamer are comedy bits disguised as paid advertisements. Game Informer interviewed that Aaron guy on one of their podcast. When that subject was brought up, he seemed hesitant to talk about. There was an Anderson Copper interview with Conan. Conan said there was some integration with Square Enix for the Tomb Raider segment.

The thing is that JRPG are tough sells for general audiences who don't play video games regularly. I am guessing that either Square Enix did not pony up enough cash. Or the marketing team thought that any publicity is good publicity. Create awareness for a game that has spent the last ten years in development hell.

The last proper Final Fantasy game I bought was thirteen. The demo for fifteen was okay. Most of the games that have come out from Square Enix Japan are mediocre and more focus on trying to squeeze more money out of people. I am better off buying Persona 5 than FFXV.

somamilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By somamilk

It's a comedy segment on a JRPG, kinda the point to make jokes and this game doesn't really lend itself to a short play session. I liked the segment though, taking a step back and looking at how silly something is really gets me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Welp that's it! SquareEnix should just close up shop because a comedian doing a comedy segment with Elijah Woods made jokes.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#56  Edited By Atwa

Conan absolutely destroyed the game, wow. I agree with everything he says, fuck the stupid looking characters, fuck the game taking itself so seriously, fuck nothing being able to drive the car, fuck the combat, fuck the boring empty environments.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By cmblasko

"You guys spent the past 7 months making this game!?"

Oh, if only he knew the truth...

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Can you even imagine being the kind of person who watches a dumb Conan sketch and uses it to help guide their buying habits? Goodness.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@atwa said:

Conan absolutely destroyed the game, wow. I agree with everything he says, fuck the stupid looking characters, fuck the game taking itself so seriously, fuck nothing being able to drive the car, fuck the combat, fuck the boring empty environments.

You just watched a paid advertisement. Did you know that?

Pretty hilarious segment. When he opens the door to the dev team, major luls.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the game doesn't take place on Earth, but people wear black leather in a manner we do here, they drive convertibles, wear denim jeans, speak in southern American accents when dressed as a stereotypical farmer's daughter/cowgirl, and go to Venice? Am I not understanding something?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is this guy, is he a big deal? Never heard of him; though fwiw I'm not incredibly familiar with a massive amount of gaming personalities.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fitzgerald: Do you think Conan would have said anything different when it comes to Final Fantasy VII or VI? To be honest, he'd probably be less enthusiastic.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the game doesn't take place on Earth, but people wear black leather in a manner we do here, they drive convertibles, wear denim jeans, speak in southern American accents when dressed as a stereotypical farmer's daughter/cowgirl, and go to Venice? Am I not understanding something?

O.o Is this sarcasm?? I can't tell anymore, the way the internet has gone. If not, then I'd say it's Fiction, in general, that you don't understand.

Mario has an Italian accent and wears denim overalls and he's from the "Mushroom Kingdom".. just to provide an example. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole consider how the English Language, which is impossibly tied to historical context, runs rampant in most made up worlds. I mean shit, where does the Witcher 3 take place that there are English AND American accents?

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://youtu.be/eXJFbsQBvLw

Posting from phone.

If this game is another FF13 as Conan's segment suggests then 15 really is the final straw in that fantasy.

lol, pushing a car to Vegas...

I dunno what part of the video suggested it would be like FF13 like at all.

Also 13 was good, yall.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Man chill out people. It's just a clueless gamer segment. A Paid comedy satire segment. Conan does a million of these (the Mortal Kombat X one remains my personal favorite)

If you are leaping to conclusions about the nature and quality of the game is based off that, you really shouldn't.

I'm about as a big of a Final Fantasy fan as it gets and I thought it was a riot.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By matatat

@slag: MK is good, but I still posit that GTA was the best. When he came back to the strip club in an attack helicopter to get revenge, and still gets blown up. I also forgot about the Halloween one with Outlast and Slender. That was pretty good too from what I remember.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, this stupid series has FIFTEEN entries. It doesn't need great review to sell, and point of going on Conan isn't for a "review" anyway, just say the name of the game on national television and it will increase sales.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Conan is hilarious as always, but this is still a day 1 buy for me though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@bonorbitz said:

O.o Is this sarcasm?? I can't tell anymore, the way the internet has gone. If not, then I'd say it's Fiction, in general, that you don't understand.

Mario has an Italian accent and wears denim overalls and he's from the "Mushroom Kingdom".. just to provide an example. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole consider how the English Language, which is impossibly tied to historical context, runs rampant in most made up worlds. I mean shit, where does the Witcher 3 take place that there are English AND American accents?

...Fantasy Poland?

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm completely on the fence about this game from what I've seen/played, and this video changed that 0%. Did get a good laugh out of it though.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how some people are freaking out about pushing the car like it's some interminable thing but that shit lasts for like 2 minutes, tops.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys get that this was a comedy sketch right? They dumped Conan into specific sequences to maximize Conan being clueless and he fucking nailed it. Even the handler guy was getting in on the jokes with the 48 hour adamantoise fight. This is the reaction he would have given to any JRPG, RPG, or other game that has a lot of story and has slow or quiet moments, they could have just as easily set up a sequence with a ton of fighting and flashy bullshit, but that wouldn't be funny.

If you guys are looking at this video of a non game playing comedian spending 20 minutes cracking jokes at an 80 hour long story heavy JRPG, and think that it's somehow reflective of the quality of the game in either direction you are absolutely more clueless than Conan. You need to remember that the Clueless Gamer segment is A: Designed to be funny and not informative and is planned and cut accordingly, and B: The entire segment is a paid advertisement to get mainstream "non-gamer" exposure. It doesn't matter if Conan rips on the game the whole time because he is a comedian and the whole segment plays up the fact that he knows nothing about games.

For what it's worth, I haven't been following FFXV at all beyond what is shown at E3 and I do plan on buying it on release (actually getting it as a birthday present). That adamantoise was fucking huuuuge. Also, that was probably the funniest Clueless Gamer segment Conan has ever done, holy shit I fucking lost it when he opened the door and yelled at the Squeenix staff.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to watch it because I don't find Conan funny, and don't want to give him clicks - but I'll just say that even if Final Fantasy XV "as bad as XIII" that would still make it a highly-praised game, just of lower general consistency and appeal than other Final Fantasy games. It would also be incredibly successful (the three Final Fantasy XIII games have sold more then 11 million copies worldwide to date), so I think Square Enix as a publisher would be very pleased if FFXIII's reception happened again (they still have core audience for those games - and Final Fantasy fans frequently vote Lightning as the most iconic protagonist in the franchise besides Cloud). Even if the developers aren't pleased with the problems people always bring up about the game - as far as brand awareness, and business success, a repeat of XIII would be a massive success.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: if only there were Polish accents!Then we could almost say it was a parrallel dimension. That said, playing the game in Polish is actually pretty cool and that I suppose is closer to "fantasy Poland". I wonder, maybe to the guy (can't recall name now) who wrote The Witcher series, it is a more classic myth-history for Poland, in the same way that the Lord of the Rings was a myth-history in Tolkien's eyes.

Is that you Believer? Nice new look ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

This kind of JRPG is dead. It's been completely overshadowed by western style RPG's. I don't even understand how Square could make this and think it could make even a fraction of its money back. It looks so damn boring.

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything about this game looks kind of cringe worthy to me, but holy shit, that voice acting is absolutely awful.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@horseman6: It's really funny what a difference in perspective does. I think like 90 percent of Western RPGs are super boring, but I think this (well, not the stuff shown in the video) looks kinda rad. Different strokes!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always wonder how people who take this shit so seriously have survived long enough to be able to use a keyboard and the internet.

@babychoochoo we've actually reached the point of people complaining about the people complaining about the people complaining about the satirical sponsored comedy sketch.

davidfox1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't give this crappy show this kind of attention guys. I'm not really into the new FF but I'm sure it will be ok. This over-produced style of American host trying to hit all the lines, the cameramen making sure they don't miss anything and the sound men making sure we get all his jokes by turning up the laughs is agony to me...

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidfox1983: you realize its one if the most popular shows im america right?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#84  Edited By Justin258

@justin258: if only there were Polish accents!Then we could almost say it was a parrallel dimension. That said, playing the game in Polish is actually pretty cool and that I suppose is closer to "fantasy Poland". I wonder, maybe to the guy (can't recall name now) who wrote The Witcher series, it is a more classic myth-history for Poland, in the same way that the Lord of the Rings was a myth-history in Tolkien's eyes.

Is that you Believer? Nice new look ;)

I'd recognize the name of the guy who wrote the Witcher books if I saw but I can't spell it off the top of my head nor pronounce it for the life of me.

Also, yes, my username was once believer258. I spent a lot of time running various other usernames through my head and finally just said "eff it, I'm using my real name"!

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@davidfox1983 said:

I wouldn't give this crappy show this kind of attention guys. I'm not really into the new FF but I'm sure it will be ok. This over-produced style of American host trying to hit all the lines, the cameramen making sure they don't miss anything and the sound men making sure we get all his jokes by turning up the laughs is agony to me...

Conan has fallen quite a bit from his original level of greatness. Back when he took over for David Letterman, there was no one else like him. He did some really risky and weird comedy early in his career. Now he'll do the same exact bit 10 times, and just make very slight changes and additions to it. Pretty far from the guy who wrote the monorail episode of The Simpsons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you even imagine being the kind of person who watches a dumb Conan sketch and uses it to help guide their buying habits? Goodness.

After last week, yes, I can.

teekomeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I love Conan, and I exclusively clicked the play button a couple days ago when this popped up on my suggested videos because I expected him to either be completely confused or tear it to shreds, and it was hilarious. God, that ending was special...

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By DharmaBum

To be fair this does look like a confusing mess of nonsense. The few segments of this Conan series I've seen actually do a good job of highlighting how ridiculous this medium can be. It should be held to this level of scrutiny.

davidfox1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

That was very funny. That game certainly looks great visually.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By BelowStupid

No one can deny that JRPGs for the most part start very slowly, and are full of NONSENSE to a passerby without either playing the game from the start, or a 15 minute synopsis. So his response is spot on.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The video actually made me more interested in the game. Then I played the jp demo and I guess I'll get it close to release.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Conan using VR is pretty great. I also think this set up is a pretty clever way of giving an idea of what VR is like without actually using VR.

Quantical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a Brit I don't usually see a lot of his stuff but I always find it amusing. Video games are ripe for the ridicule. Especially Final Fantasy in general as it really is bonkers.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just now read all the comments in this thread.

.....good lord, guys. The point of this ******comedy sketch******* is that he has no idea what he's talking about, and we get a perspective from someone who has no idea what he's talking about.

I can't believe people are typing up paragraphs about this. holy shit.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wait, what was that thing about the wedding dress? Was that a story event? Ok so without spoilers, I am past the point where that scene would make any sense at all and I never saw that.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fitzgerald said:

If this game is another FF13 as Conan's segment suggests

Eh.... reach here. It's a comedy sketch, take it for what it is.

Conan has hated on a number of games. This probably is the harshest but he is not going to like a JRPG that's for sure. Trying to make it like he is reaching back and making FF13 comparisons is a gigantic stretch.

Sometimes a perspective from someone completely not-invested in something, and their opinion, are much more useful than what you'll hear from fans and anti-fans alike! Saying "of course he wouldn't like it", is exactly why few people do these days... Though, admittedly, this new one seems like the best effort in a long time and I might just give it a serious try... but still, it's made by crazy people, and I have a feeling that more of its content/story will piss me off than I want in my games - I've trusted people recommending the FF's after number 7 too many times already :)

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is my personal GotY (put 50 hours in so far), and most of the points in this video are fair criticisms of the game. Also the video is pretty funny IMO.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadow said:

Wait, what was that thing about the wedding dress? Was that a story event? Ok so without spoilers, I am past the point where that scene would make any sense at all and I never saw that.

When you're in Altissia, one of your side objectives is to find the store with the dress on display. I personally didn't see it either as I didn't feel like looking for it.

There's a mechanic in the game that'll let you return to Altissia as it was when you first arrived there though, so you can still complete the quests. If you don't already know what I'm talking about, you will soon.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@artisanbreads said:
    @fitzgerald said:

If this game is another FF13 as Conan's segment suggests

Eh.... reach here. It's a comedy sketch, take it for what it is.

Conan has hated on a number of games. This probably is the harshest but he is not going to like a JRPG that's for sure. Trying to make it like he is reaching back and making FF13 comparisons is a gigantic stretch.

Sometimes a perspective from someone completely not-invested in something, and their opinion, are much more useful than what you'll hear from fans and anti-fans alike! Saying "of course he wouldn't like it", is exactly why few people do these days... Though, admittedly, this new one seems like the best effort in a long time and I might just give it a serious try... but still, it's made by crazy people, and I have a feeling that more of its content/story will piss me off than I want in my games - I've trusted people recommending the FF's after number 7 too many times already :)

I agree with the notion that someone who isn't invested could have an opinion worth hearing, but when you're trying to take seriously the opinion of someone who is doing a comedy sketch and commenting on things that are presented completely without context, that's a different story. The things in the Conan segment that are shown are significantly far apart from each other. Multiple chapters, even.

As far as this game goes, it's pretty roadtrip-y until the hard left-turn happens as in all FF games, then it becomes a "real" FF game. The roadtrip part is pretty good IMO, the rest of it is up to personal preference. But while you're here reading my opinion, I'm also here to say that people should play FF9. It's the best. 12's cool too, but it's for a specific crowd.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.