Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy X

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Jul 19, 2001

The first Final Fantasy game for the PlayStation 2 brought cinematic quality to the series with voice acting and fully 3D environments. The story follows Tidus, a young man transported one thousand years into the future to find a world quite unlike his own.

Why is the laughing scene so looked down upon?

• 96 results
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Milkman
    @xaLieNxGrEyx

Because Hipsters.

Worst post in Giant Bomb history.
    Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By Hunter5024

I don't know if making something intentionally stupid makes it any less stupid, but OP is definitely right that it's not an example of poor voice acting. If anything it's an example of bad dialogue, but I'm willing to forgive it for that, because it actually is kinda funny.

@WinterSnowblind said:

Having a painfully unlikable character and having him "grow" as the game goes on, also doesn't qualify as a character arc.

Yes it does. In fact you are describing the character arc of thousands of popular characters right now.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Hunter5024 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

Having a painfully unlikable character and having him "grow" as the game goes on, also doesn't qualify as a character arc.

Yes it does. In fact you are describing the character arc of thousands of popular characters right now.

That arc can be handled poorly and feel forced though. Something I thought 10 did. The game is so old I don't remember why though.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Hunter5024

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

That arc can be handled poorly and feel forced though. Something I thought 10 did. The game is so old I don't remember why though.

Yes you're right, it can, but just because a character starts off unlikable doesn't mean they can't have a satisfying character arc. Characters should have flaws, it makes them more human.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Hunter5024 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

Yes you're right, it can, but just because a character starts off unlikable doesn't mean they can't have a satisfying character arc. Characters should have flaws, it makes them more human.

And when it fails it makes the character worse since there is no real pay off for watching this asshole.

Tony Stark is an example of when it's done right. Tidus is when it's done wrong.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By MikkaQ

I always knew what they were trying to do, that didn't stop the whole scene from feeling really awkward and terrible.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Nottle

FFX has other problems with the story that aren't voice acting.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By kindgineer

I think it has to do more with the fact that it's Final Fantasy and everyone has to have an opinion when it comes to the next big thing. If everybody loves the laugh, people will come out of the wood work and hate it just for the hell of it.

It's the internet Devil's Advocate disorder.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Hunter5024

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

And when it fails it makes the character worse since there is no real pay off for watching this asshole.

Tony Stark is an example of when it's done right. Tidus is when it's done wrong.

I agree, but Tidus is not indicative of every latter day Final Fantasy character, as implied, which is what I took issue with. Yuna is an example of when it's done right as well (ignoring 10-2).

Soffish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By Soffish

I can't say I've ever had any real strong feelings about that scene either way, but I've never really understood why people give Tidus so much shit. I thought he was one of the better FF protagonists.

JakeLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By JakeLogan

@ShadowConqueror said:

It bothered me because my family came into the room when I got to that point and the characters on screen were awkwardly laughing like fucking idiots.

Damn family - always walking in at just the wrong moment so they get the absolute worst impression of your hobby

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Arker101

When I played through FF10 rather recently, I just muted the game for a couple minutes and then eventually un-muted it. I really didn't like Tidus as a character anyways. I agree it's not as horrible as the internet says it is, but I sure wouldn't call it good.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By WarlordPayne

@Soffish said:

I can't say I've ever had any real strong feelings about that scene either way, but I've never really understood why people give Tidus so much shit. I thought he was one of the better FF protagonists.

Sums up my feelings exactly.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Hunter5024 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

I agree, but Tidus is not indicative of every latter day Final Fantasy character, as implied, which is what I took issue with. Yuna is an example of when it's done right as well (ignoring 10-2).

Tidus was the opposite of Lightning, and I liked the fact that she just punched annoying people. I don't remember much of Van if that was FF12's mc. The best and worst of Final Fantasy characters I think come from the supporting cast. Like in FFX Auron was pretty tight if I remember correctly. FFXIII had Sazh, who I think is the best Final Fantasy character post VII. But it also had one of the worst characters, Hope. Fuck Hope so hard.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By Fearbeard

I don't consider it an example of bad voice acting (the game has plenty more of those)

I do however consider it an example of a stupid scene.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I always thought FFX voices were fantastic compared to the previous games.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I always thought FFX voices were fantastic compared to the previous games.

Funny.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By Rohok

When you say "Why do people think x is x?" "They're just missing the point, it's supposed to be like x." That's when you're clinging desperately to justifications to try and convince yourself it's not terrible when it really is.

ex.

"That movie was corny as fuck."

"it's /supposed/ to be that way."

It's still shit.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By CL60
    @Rohok

When you say "Why do people think x is x?" "They're just missing the point, it's supposed to be like x." That's when you're clinging desperately to justifications to try and convince yourself it's not terrible when it really is.

ex.

"That movie was corny as fuck."

"it's /supposed/ to be that way."

It's still shit.

Except it's nothing like that at all. Contextually it makes perfect sense why it was how it was.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#70  Edited By Animasta

@CL60: just because something is awkward on purpose doesn't make it any better.

and the scene barely makes sense anyway because Tidus was known for laughing for no particular reason because he had the emotions of an 8 year old.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By blackichigo

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

Do you mind explaining what makes Tidus so horrible? I seriously want to know. I'm not trying to be a dick. I never really got why Tidus is as despised as he is. Maybe i played FFX early enough not to really be annoyed with him. It come out when like as like 12 or 13.

Sure, he can be annoying, but i completely get why he is the way he is. His mother wasn't all that attentive to him growing up and she shut down completely after his Dad disappeared. His father did love him but he never showed it. He is a celebrity and famous blitzball star, so you just know everyone kissed his ass all the time. Mind you, Tidus is still only 17 years old. If you mixed all those ingredients together and you get a good ole case of arrested development soup.

He is dropped off in a strange land and finds out its a 1000 years into the future and (technically) everyone he knows is dead and his home is town is ruins. Shortly after that and not long before the infamous "laughing scene" , he is told that his thought to be dead Dad is actually a giant fucking monster. He also finds out the girl he loves is going to sacrifice herself to kill his Dad Monster and realizes and the whole game he has be indirectly encouraging her to kill herself.

He does start to finally (Thank God) "nut up" around the wedding. I still get a big stupid grin when I see the party slide across those chains. Still Tidus never really becomes a leader, but by the end he is a man, a whiny man sure, but a man none the less.

My point is Tidus is only 17 and goes through alot. I believe he earned the right to be a bit whiny all things considered.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@blackichigo said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

Do you mind explaining what makes Tidus so horrible? I seriously want to know. I'm not trying to be a dick. I never really got why Tidus is as despised as he is. Maybe i played FFX early enough not to really be annoyed with him. It come out when like as like 12 or 13.

Sure, he can be annoying, but i completely get why he is the way he is. His mother wasn't all that attentive to him growing up and she shut down completely after his Dad disappeared. His father did love him but he never showed it. He is a celebrity and famous blitzball star, so you just know everyone kissed his ass all the time. Mind you, Tidus is still only 17 years old. If you mixed all those ingredients together and you get a good ole case of arrested development soup.

He is dropped off in a strange land and finds out its a 1000 years into the future and (technically) everyone he knows is dead and his home is town is ruins. Shortly after that and not long before the infamous "laughing scene" , he is told that his thought to be dead Dad is actually a giant fucking monster. He also finds out the girl he loves is going to sacrifice herself to kill his Dad Monster and realizes and the whole game he has be indirectly encouraging her to kill herself.

He does start to finally (Thank God) "nut up" around the wedding. I still get a big stupid grin when I see the party slide across those chains. Still Tidus never really becomes a leader, but by the end he is a man, a whiny man sure, but a man none the less.

My point is Tidus is only 17 and goes through alot. I believe he earned the right to be a bit whiny all things considered.

It's been years since that game came out and I haven't gone back to play it 'cause I don't like it so I really couldn't tell you why I thought he was annoying. Only that I remember hating him. And if you still see him as whiny in what way did he get better?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Hunter5024

@blackichigo said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I personally agree with everything you said, but just because his reasons for being whiny and annoying are justified, and reasonable, doesn't mean he's likable. A well realized character, sure. But a fun character? Not really. It's okay if you do like him, but I think it's obvious why his personality goes against a lot of peoples personal tastes.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By blackichigo

@SethPhotopoulos: Fair enough. I played it again about year ago so it is still pretty fresh in my mind. I just wish a you could skip cutscenes. Even understanding the context and laughing scene should only be heard once.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Hunter5024 said:

@blackichigo said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I personally agree with everything you said, but just because his reasons for being whiny and annoying are justified, and reasonable, doesn't mean he's likable. A well realized character, sure. But a fun character? Not really. It's okay if you do like him, but I think it's obvious why his personality goes against a lot of peoples personal tastes.

Yeah there is a point of no return that writers can cross.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By blackichigo

@Hunter5024: I agree with with you as well. Hell I'm not really sure if I like the guy. Im pretty 50/50 on him. My understanding of his situation sort of negates to the fact that i would never hangout with him.

I just never understood hating him though. I'm not saying you hate either. I just don't see what makes him any worse that any other character in the series. Hell voice act any of the the characters in Tidus's voice in the previous FFs and they all sound pretty whiny if you ask me. Can you imagine Sephiroth would sound like? lol

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By korwin

Because it's so abjectly terrible on almost every level. He voice acting is horrid, the fake laugh is skin peelingly hard to listen to and the character interactions at the point are painfully un-natural.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By mrpandaman

@Bell_End said:

its cheeeeeseeeeey

This if you put the "s" between the last "e" and "y"

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Jrad

@RedCream said:

I loved that scene. It takes a lot more meaning when it is revealed that Yuna is destined to die.

Whoa dude, spoilers. When FF10 was released, I was 7 years old. I've been avoiding playing it until my adolescent mind is well-developed enough to understand the full emotional depth of the no doubt riveting plot, and now, what I can only assume to be a significant twist, has been ruined!

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By envane

@CL60: ive never looked down on that scene i guess .. but i have always found it hilarious .. its not bad voice acting , but its pretty laughable laughing , and can be used out of context for alot of crazyness .. so guess its good thing

HA HA HA HA

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By napalm

@envane said:

@CL60: ive never looked down on that scene i guess .. but i have always found it hilarious .. its not bad voice acting , but its pretty laughable laughing , and can be used out of context for alot of crazyness .. so guess its good thing

HA HA HA HA

HAA! HAA! HAA! HAA! HAA!

I'm still laughing over here. Laughing tears. Goddamn.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By CL60

@Animasta said:

@CL60: just because something is awkward on purpose doesn't make it any better.

and the scene barely makes sense anyway because Tidus was known for laughing for no particular reason because he had the emotions of an 8 year old.

Yes, and he was trying to get Yuna to do it too. To ease their minds off the situation.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#83  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Nah dude.

You forgot how that scene really goes. They really do end up laughing at the end of the fake/forced laughing. Also forced laughing does not mean cheesy/bad sounding. That game has a few bad voice actors and unfortunately Tidus and Yuna's are among the worst. That scene gets more attention than it deserves but that game is an important moment in VO history.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Superkenon

Although, yeah, it's kind of the point, that scene is hilariously painful to watch. But I don't really mind it, because it's just one goofy bump in a game I adore.

I think it's a moot point whether the context is there, or if it's awkwardness is appropriate; if something's unpleasant, it's unpleasant. Simple as that. So I don't think it's a knock against anyone if they didn't care for the scene. There's "better" examples of bad voicing you could be pointing out in that game though, haha.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By neurotic

I think most people know the point of it but that doesn't make it any less dumb. It's not that the voice acting is bad (if that's your problem then point to most of the rest of the game too), that scene is just stupid. Plus, try explaining the 'deep' context to the non-gamer who walks in on it. Yeah, didn't think so.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Dixavd

I personally thought it was a good scene because it seemed to me to be awkward in a way that actually reflected the built up tension that Yuna had up to that point while she tried to be so composed. It is the first time we see Yuna properly laugh (she giggles a couple times, usually in response to Tidus's idiocy, in Kilika and Besaid for instance; but she always quickly pulls herself together at every point before that).

It is also pretty easy to assume that she hasn't properly laughed in not only the time we see her in the game, but also for a long time up to that point (possibly even for years). It is pretty easy to assume this as she is convinced she must stay almost-stoic in front of everyone so they believe she respects her place as Lord Braska's daughter. Also, the people around her for the last couple years of her life will have actually been teaching her not to laugh: Kimahri is stoic as a stoic Rhonso who has cared for Yuna for that past 10 years of her life since she was a young girl; and has probably had the most affect on her as she admires him like an older brother. Lulu is specifically going out of her way to teach Yuna to be lady-like; specifically pointing out how immature it is to act like Wakka does being so open to laugh, say jokes, and be silly. And everyone else responds to her as if she is a princess (the children even acting towards her as if she is a second mother). She has been taught for the last couple years of her life during the Calm to not laugh so much (which would have been an even bigger pressure on her not to be like that once she decided she wanted to be a Summoner; since once she chose that even Wakka would be telling her to act mature if she wants to take it seriously).

That's why, for Yuna, it is a great scene as when I played it the first time (and when I still do today) I always find that it perfectly represented her trying to learn that it was ok to act her age and have fun being young. I also found that it happened at a great point because, while Tidus's child-like attitude is obviously the catalyst which makes her start to come out of her shell, it took until Auron made it pretty clear that he expects them all to be a little less reserved and happy during her Pilgrimage. Auron likely feels this way as he knows, even more than the rest of them, how short their journey can be and how it will likely suddenly end; so he doesn't want them to waste their time (especially Yuna's time) being reserved and looking good for Yevon (who he now has a growing bitterness for).

As for Tidus, the funny thing about him is that people think he laughed way more than he actually did at the first couple areas of the game. And even when he did, it was usually followed by him monologue about how he didn’t really understand anything that was going on and still felt very lost and foreign. For him, his childishness and laughter up to that point was one of the few things keeping him sane, so it makes perfect sense for him to try and teach Yuna to do it as well. Especially at the moment that it occurs in the game at the end of Luca Tidus is bluntly told by Auron that he can’t bring him back to Zanarkand easily and that Tidus’s final hope at getting back relatively soon is washed away leaving him stuck in Spira for the foreseeable future. After hearing that, Tidus is clearly going to be tense and needs to force himself to let it go and get used to being in Spira for much longer.

I think the scene makes a great deal of sense in context and I never found a problem with it; but, taken out of context, it can seem pretty bad (and almost cringe-worthy) and I can easily see how people who did get to see it in context still found it too awkward to watch (doubly-so if they already found Tidus to be an annoying character or found Yuna to be bland/naïve).

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By jerseyscum

Because it's AWFUL. Just like FF10 and it's whole stupid plot and characters.

RottenTanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cl60: I was Just talking to my friend about this very thing so decided to google it and this was the first link. So here I am, I don't know what it was about the scene really I completely understood the context of it., It just got so under my skin. it wasn't bad voice acting like you said it was done as well as it could've been done I think it was a combination of a lot of things. I can't explain it but I'll try. The first reaction was cringe as the scene went on I, felt like neo in the matrix., I was no longer was immersed in this world it pull me right out, I started separating mocap from hand keyed hand keyed animations the textures and so on., I got to say it wasn't long after that I stopped playing that game all together never been back since I still own it come to think of it., I bought every subsequent sequel of the series but my love for final fantasy died that day. not to be hyperbolic or melodramatic be Ever since Final Fantasy X laughing seen I've never was fully invested in the series up until preset day. I even saw their movies in theaters. like the Netflix Narco meme., this was great. Maybe I'll stop being such a bitch about it a go back after all these years and replay it and see if I feel different about it.

OSail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By OSail

The direction of the English language voice acting is pretty poor across all of Final Fantasy X and it's easy to highlight it within that scene. The performance of the voice acting isn't great either, but at least it's consistent in it's okay-ness, whereas certain scenes are pretty poorly directed which directly lowers the quality of the voice actor's work.

People are right that it seems worse as people take it out of the scene's context but even with knowledge of what the scene is about it's not well done at all.

EDIT: sorry, didn't notice this was a thread brought back from the dead!

RottenTanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@osail: yeah I did last night sorry

RobertForster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By RobertForster

FF10 gets a lot of undue flak because it wasn’t as good as 7,8, and 9. Personally, I really liked that scene, but you need to know the subtext.

DeekyFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to agree with the original post; I do see this scene picked up on YouTube and other such places without giving the context a second thought. I think in those cases, they're looking for striking video examples, and that clip of Titus laughing certainly provokes a response.

I don't mind it at all. It's a nice scene in its intention; providing some insight into the characters and warming me to Titus a bit more, who'd mostly up to that point been mostly a jackass (albeit a confused one). That being said, I can understand people's negative reactions to it; the voice acting in general is quite jarring and raw - I think it was the first FF with VO and certainly took me a bit of time to get used to when I first heard it way back when. It is certainly 'of it's time'.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Necro thread!

I knew the guy who voices (voiced?) Tidus. So, when I say this it is something he already knows the opinion on. He's heard it. It's quite common. It's a bad performance.

When he was getting started in VA (James Arnold Taylor for anyone curious, still) he did a demo tape where he voiced all the Looney Tunes characters (or a lot of them, I don't remember if it was truly all of them or not- this was multiple decades ago now) doing a Hamlet sketch that was incredible. It was so funny (I think he was auditioning for what would become Looney Tunes Back In Action but at the time the title was unknown and he didn't get the role anyway). So, it's not that he's a bad voice actor in my opinion. I personally was blown away that he did Ratchet- I didn't realize it for a very long time.

Anyway, It was more likely bad direction, or unclear script in some way. It's hard to say with these things. I don't know if this is especially unique to video games, but at the time especially, the speed at which they would record these didn't really help. There were probably other reasons too if I had to guess knowing how dismissive of voice acting everything used to be- still sometimes is.

I mean, a lot of people hate Wakka in that game too. And he was voiced by John DiMaggio who's pretty well loved by voice acting fans. I personally don't think John DiMaggio was all that bad, but people found it problematic and annoying.

I think everyone on that game was fairly new too which kind of adds to it. They're doing voices for a foreign language video game- which means it has been translated- and I suspect this also didn't really help.

Yes, I don't like the character Tidus, but I'm an apologist for the performance. I get where the actors are coming from. For me, the only thing I recall hating in that game at the time (besides getting Wakka's ultimate weapon which requires you to win the season of blitz ball) was the multiple twists that were all stupid.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Onemanarmyy
    Loading Video...

@cornbredx: he did a video about the tidus laugh.

Personally, i have more warm feelings towards the voice work in FF10 than 90% of the games nowadays. Characters might feel more human, realistic and grounded nowadays, but Final Fantasy is a larger than life franchise where characters mostly wear the same color as the magic they use. These characters are not supposed to sound like the guy next door! James sounds lively, young , naive but manages to add depth to his character by using a more bassy calm 'thinking voice'. I think it worked quite well.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrighteous86:These days people don't get character arcs. They see a character that has a flaw at the beginning as being irredeemable and awful. A bunch of knee-jerk reactions and hot takes, get it out before we critically think. Everyone needs to get their youtube channel flowing with negative HOT TAKES. OMG LOOK HOW AWFUL THIS IS. Scream face.

Honestly, most stories now have super weak character flaws as to not offend or push away the audience. If the flaw is big and gets solved by the ending, guess what. People don't like it.

Star war's recent main character, is pretty weak in the flaws area in comparison to others in the past. One-piece lasted 20 or so years by making their main character nearly devoid of flaws that people would get angry over. Ie he's just silly and that equals fun. No growing up needed. Gone are the Iron man with drinking problems, instead he's just snarky and that's loveable. so on so on.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with FFXs voicework was always Yuna, Tidus is and always has been a pretty solid performance for the time.

Unfortunately when you have to try and sell a character who by nature is kind of a dingus then it's easy to pull segments out and make a lot of hay out of it.

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topcyclist: Considering this is an 8 year old thread, I don't think it's a "these days" problem.

I think FF's biggest problem these days is that it takes NO critiques to heart, it feels mono-visioned and has since 7. Grimdark visuals, self-serious stories telling the player how to feel rather than letting them feel (I am still utterly unmoved by Aerith's death because she was a null character and I'd already played other, better JRPGs that perma-killed party members that I ACTUALLY cared about. And that's not gatekeeping, that's not "Go play Phantasy Star IV, noob!" That's bad storytelling placed in a spotlight and driven by nostalgia).

Maybe it's because my favorite entry is Final Fantasy VI, but it feels like the game lost something when it fell back on 3D graphics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.