Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Dec 26, 2013

A collection for PS3, PS4, Vita and PC, containing Final Fantasy X International and Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission featuring HD visuals and a remastered soundtrack.

I can't seem to find a reason to like this game.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By white

I think I'm channeling Jeff's sentiments when he described his experience with the game on the Bombcast many months ago. I just can't seem to find a reason why this is a good Final Fantasy game. Didn't people say this was one of the best Final Fantasy games?

I finished 7, 9 and all of the 13s and yet I cannot stomach more than 5 hours of this game. The main character is a whiny brat with daddy issues, constantly throwing tantrums whenever anyone mentions Jecht and I can't find any redeeming qualities to this person. The story just seems to channel so much attention to this dumb sport. I didn't like the English voice acting, so I switched it to the Japanese one with the mod and that doesn't sound all that spectacular either. The combat is kinda whatever, just that I'm constantly wrestling with the targeting system. The Sphere Grid looks complex and I'm sure it'll be a pain in the ass later on when maxing out stats. The menu system doesn't seem to tell me what "Firestrike" or "Distill Speed" is - I remember in 7 and 9 you could press triangle or something and get additional info.

Are there any redeeming qualities to this game? Does the main character stop behaving like a 14 year old? Does the story pick up? Do any of the aforementioned happen soon? I just arrived in Luca and the thing that sapped whatever remaining enthusiasm I had for this game was the 10+ sections of Blitzball tutorials.

Help me find a reason to like this product. I'm trying, honest!

Maedhros925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I played this one fifteen years ago, so nostalgia undoubtedly colors my perspective. I have fond memories of this game, though. Like all Final Fantasy games, this one starts slow. If you've just arrived at Luca, then you're right, nothing much interesting has probably happened. The main character is a whiny brat. That's on purpose. He'll grow over the course of the game. The story is also about to raise the stakes significantly, especially after you meet Rikku.

walach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By walach

Sphere Grid is not hard to max out and too finish the game you don't need too unless going for 100% completion. If you dont go for 100%, blitzball is a one off thing ^^

I was never a fan of Tidus either but I do enjoy the rest of the team.

FIrestrike - adds fire elemental to your weapon strikes.

Distill - If hit with a Distill Speed strike you get a 2x drops if the mob dies. That you spend in the sphere grid to unlock agility nodes.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

FFX isn't my favorite Final Fantasy, but it does have my favorite combat system of the series. The pure turn-based nature of it allowed for some good tactical gameplay in my opinion. Plus, the ability to swap out party members on the fly remains one of my favorite mechanics in all of RPGs.

SonofSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just started playing through again, the first FF game I've ever played and as a result I have some heavily tinted rose colored glasses for it.

We'll see how I feel about it when I get further along... as long as Overwatch doesn't derail me.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

That's because X is a poor game. Terrible characters, terrible combat. The reason you can't find something to like about that game is that there really isn't a good reason to like it.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If nothing else, the music is pretty great.

SonofSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Music is phenomenal, definitely what I consider among the very best of video game soundtracks.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OurSin_360

I remember liking the combat and the story being alright but also wanting to punch Tidus in his stupid face with his stupid shorts. Auron made the game for me, and i liked being able to change characters in and out. I can't believe you got through 13 though i found that game waaaaay worse than X, but maybe it's because I played it back when it was a flagship ps2 title and forgave stuff cause of the graphics.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The combat system is one of the better ones in the series, but otherwise I agree it's pretty overrated, presumably by people that experienced it as one of their first. I found it super disappointing at the time, still think it's story is terrible. I'd rather revisit XIII to be honest.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

To be fair, nobody likes Meg Ryan when she's hungry. Just focus on Lulu's chest beefers and the destruction of Waka's Aryan faith and you should be fine.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played it when I was like 14, which I think is probably the perfect age for it. I still enjoy it to this day, but yeah, the dialogue and characters don't hit me emotionally like they did back then, and I doubt they would for most adults. The music and combat is great still though.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

the story is alright, but tidus is a pretty unlikeable character. this game is good because it has a fantastic combat system. it was also pretty mind blowing from a tech standpoint at the time. going to x for the first time in 2016 is a hard thing to ask of somebody though

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.