Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy X-2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 13, 2003

Journey back to Spira two years later to rescue the missing Tidus in this first direct sequel to a Final Fantasy title.

Final Fantasy X-2

BlueKranz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BlueKranz

Oh, I guess I lied. I'll make an actual blog post, but only to get this off of my mind. The subject is of course Final Fantasy X-2, and why so many gamers seem to dismiss and, worse, dislike it. It seems every time X-2 peeks its little head into the world, be it in a photo of a games collection or a list of "worst games ever," there will always be a user comment expressing their disgust or boredom with this game.

I will start off by admitting that I actually don't understand this viewpoint. Of course, it is just that- an opinion. When an opinion is shared among so many people, however, it's hard to think there exist any like-minded players. So what is it about this game that people just don't like? Is it the gameplay? The story? The most common answer is probably the in-your-face, Charlie's Angel themes the main characters initially portray. It's true- they act pretty girly throughout the game, and there are silly cutscenes aplenty. 

What you must consider, though, is that this is just one facet of the characters. This is a Final Fantasy game, after all, so you should expect each character has a layer under this energetic, girl power tomfoolery. I take these scenes to portray the ways that Yuna has changed; how she has adapted to her new Spherehunter life. It's clear she has cast aside much of herself, having grown up with the teachings of Spira and her duties as a Summoner. Midway through the game, however, she once again feels the drive to be a hero, a duty to save Spira once again, and she shows a more serious side of herself because of it. Not Debbie-Downer, mind you, but she's got another side of herself besides happy-go-lucky.

Could it be the battle system that people dislike? I personally thought the battle system itself was great, but the main complaint from people who dislike the game is that the job change system is in a "let's play dress-up" style. True, the spherechange cutscenes do lend credence to this, but it's not as if job-change concepts were pioneered by X-2. The costumes themselves match up to each job quite well, being silly where they need to be (i.e., the Mascot job), and the rest stay true to their origins. I think it's no different than changing equipment in an MMORPG, that it's no more different than your character wearing the gear that represents your character class.

So I ask all ye dissenters, to put aside these preconceptions and enjoy Final Fantasy X-2 for what it is: a formidable entry to the series, deserving of the Final Fantasy name. I'll spare you more of my dull 6 A.M. writing, so get out there and game on. :)

BlueKranz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlueKranz

Oh, I guess I lied. I'll make an actual blog post, but only to get this off of my mind. The subject is of course Final Fantasy X-2, and why so many gamers seem to dismiss and, worse, dislike it. It seems every time X-2 peeks its little head into the world, be it in a photo of a games collection or a list of "worst games ever," there will always be a user comment expressing their disgust or boredom with this game.

I will start off by admitting that I actually don't understand this viewpoint. Of course, it is just that- an opinion. When an opinion is shared among so many people, however, it's hard to think there exist any like-minded players. So what is it about this game that people just don't like? Is it the gameplay? The story? The most common answer is probably the in-your-face, Charlie's Angel themes the main characters initially portray. It's true- they act pretty girly throughout the game, and there are silly cutscenes aplenty. 

What you must consider, though, is that this is just one facet of the characters. This is a Final Fantasy game, after all, so you should expect each character has a layer under this energetic, girl power tomfoolery. I take these scenes to portray the ways that Yuna has changed; how she has adapted to her new Spherehunter life. It's clear she has cast aside much of herself, having grown up with the teachings of Spira and her duties as a Summoner. Midway through the game, however, she once again feels the drive to be a hero, a duty to save Spira once again, and she shows a more serious side of herself because of it. Not Debbie-Downer, mind you, but she's got another side of herself besides happy-go-lucky.

Could it be the battle system that people dislike? I personally thought the battle system itself was great, but the main complaint from people who dislike the game is that the job change system is in a "let's play dress-up" style. True, the spherechange cutscenes do lend credence to this, but it's not as if job-change concepts were pioneered by X-2. The costumes themselves match up to each job quite well, being silly where they need to be (i.e., the Mascot job), and the rest stay true to their origins. I think it's no different than changing equipment in an MMORPG, that it's no more different than your character wearing the gear that represents your character class.

So I ask all ye dissenters, to put aside these preconceptions and enjoy Final Fantasy X-2 for what it is: a formidable entry to the series, deserving of the Final Fantasy name. I'll spare you more of my dull 6 A.M. writing, so get out there and game on. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.