Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

How much does THIS Final Fantasy VII SPOILER ruin the story?

Avatar image for nomoregoodgames
    NoMoreGoodGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NoMoreGoodGames

I'm wondering how much knowing a certain Final Fantasy VII spoiler will ruin the story for me.

WARNING: A MASSIVE FF7 SPOILER AHEAD, BUT PLEASE DON'T CONSIDER THIS TOPIC OKAY TO DISCUSS FURTHER SPOILERS. I'll explain but I only want to know how much of the story and ending you think I got spoiled, not any specifics of what else there is or isn't.

I've only played maybe half of a really poor em version of Final Fantasy 7, and I liked it so much that I decided to stop playing and wait until I could at least play the official PS1 version, so that the bloggy character models would be just that much more clear and I would get the best experience of this classic game possible instead of micro-partially wasting my first time with it on a subpar version. I basically took the female philosophy on virginity and applied to this game: for something so special, so sacred, as FF7, for the first time, you don't just want to experience any version, you want the best.

And now with the remake announced, man, I'd love to wait for that to experience the final half of the story. Will probably be years though. Anyway, unfortunately, SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER, every time I go to the comments section on a FF7 youtube video, someone posts about Air or Aeris or Aerith dying at the end, especially with the remake now they say all this means is Airith will still die at the en. And then I also saw someone said the black feather was Sephiroth and the flower was Aerith, hinting that Sephiorth killed her. Anyway I'd like to know how badly you think the experience will be ruined for me. Is this like spoiling (Harry Potter spoilers ahead) the Tom Riddle twist that was central to everything in Harry Potter 2, or is this just one of many things that happens throughout a long game with tons of characters and not going to hurt the experience much if at all?

caffeinezebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

While it's an important plot point, it wont ruin the experience, also it's very far from the end (maybe 1/4-1/3 into the game). The plot centers around dealing with loss in some way or another, so that particular point is only part of the setup.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By nicolenomicon

It really won't matter that much at all. Don't worry about it.

Also, if you feel like playing it before the remake comes out so you don't have to wait forever, it's on sale on steam for $6 in what's probably the best version of the game so far. Magic defence actually works in that version.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not that big of a deal. That happens maybe halfway through the game, if not earlier.

Avatar image for nomoregoodgames
    NoMoreGoodGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NoMoreGoodGames
    @caffeinezebra said:

While it's an important plot point, it wont ruin the experience, also it's very far from the end (maybe 1/4-1/3 into the game). The plot centers around dealing with loss in some way or another, so that particular point is only part of the setup.

Oh really wow? I played the game for like 30 hours I think and never saw that I don't think. But if it's not even the end of the game then I'm not as worried about the game being spoiled for me. Thanks to all for the responses!

It really won't matter that much at all. Don't worry about it.

Also, if you feel like playing it before the remake comes out so you don't have to wait forever, it's on sale on steam for $6 in what's probably the best version of the game so far. Magic defence actually works in that version.

Once I finish building the PC, I probably will. Well, I would, but at this poitn, is it worth waiting to experience the story with modern tech? I don't know. Hopefully they'll add enough new dialogue, change some of the dialogue without changing the soul of the interactions, and add a bunch of new story so that the remake will feel like the first time, like a completely original experience, whether you've played the original or not. But until I get confirmation they're changing enough for the remake to play the original without spoiling everything, I'll be conflicted about it.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah it won't matter too much. I think back in the day it was a really powerful scene and not knowing about it definitely makes it stronger. But the spoiler really only just spoils one scene in a huge game. And all things considered, it isn't even that plot relevant. I mean it IS plot relevant, just not by that much. Definitely won't ruin the game or anything.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@nomoregoodgames: Moved to the FF7 forum - please try to use the game and platform specific forums, it will save the mods a ton of work.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It definitely is a major spoiler in the sense that it represents a crucial point in the game. However, there is much more to the experience than that one event. When I first played the game, I knew about it and I still loved the entire game. Unfortunately, I wasn't sad when it happened though since I already knew.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think it's pretty funny that since a remake is coming people have started spoiler blocking plot points from an 18 year old game that we've all said openly on these forums for years now.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By FacelessVixen

I relate that detail to spoilers about BioShock 1, Persona 4, and other story heavy games where their 'huge plot twists' and pivotal moments have been openly talked about for years and the only way to avoid them was to not be on the internet. So I'm definitely one of those "it's about the journey, not the destination" type of people when it comes to, well, virtually any kind of entertainment, and I think that's the best way to look at FFVII refresh.

But on the other hand, not everyone on the internet is 25 and older so there are people out there, as much some of us jaded know-it-alls would like to call them dumb and stupid, who don't know and have a hope of experiencing FFVII refresh without and sort of nostalgia or knowing any major details about the original game. I for one envy those people who can see it with fresh eyes since I grew up with Nintendo 64 in the 90s and learned a number of FFVII details through osmosis on the internet in the 00s, the one in question being made up to be the huge floppy phallus in all of gaming that eventually slaps everyone in the face, so it would be very interesting to get someone's opinion on FFVII remix who is doing in relatively cold.

...Yeah. I know I totally rambled there. Sorry OP.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By afabs515

That happens halfway through the game. There are far bigger plot twists to be spoiled on in that game from what I remember (and think I understood). Although people are right: that game is almost 20 years old so if someone really doesn't know about Aeris dying that's pretty impressive.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#14  Edited By Slag

Honestly this plot point didn't surprise me playing it at the original release. Previous FF games used the same plot device.

You'll be fine, the game's story is so much more than that.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I'll admit it happening the first time I played through was shocking, I don't think it's what makes the game good, or even what I'd call a standout moment (that would be the snowboarding sequence).

So no, you'll be fine. They'll probably allow players to reverse it in the remake anyway, because everything is terrible, all the time.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That happens at like the end of disc 1, nowhere close to the end.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

@nomoregoodgames:

The story is a bunch of JRPG nonsense. That moment is memorable but there are other memorable character moments. But the story as a whole is just a bunch of inane stuff leading to an absurd ending.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@karkarov: That'd be fuckin' weird if they changed that. I'm not going to say I'm for or against it, but it'd be sort of like making a remake of Citizen Kane where Rosebud is the name of his stock broker.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't ruin a terrible story

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

It was a huge deal when it happend. But it's been so spoiled now.

I hope they are willing to actually make some decent changes with the story. Not sure how big, but enough to keep people guessing.

Overall it doesn't ruin the story or anything at all. If you played the whole game for that bit, well I don't know how much you'd like it and you'd have half a game to play after.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only real spoiler about FFVII that matters is that it's a bad game.

And FF is a bad series.

DocWattson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By DocWattson

You know the remake is like three years away if not longer, right? They just started production on it and this is Square we are talking about

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd bet that a significant fraction (if not even a majority) of people who have played through FF7 did so having heard that spoiler. Also it's not like you've been spoiled in detail so I don't think it will totally lessen the impact of that moment for you when it comes.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a huge emotional point in the game, but doesn't ruin the story and it doesn't happen at the end or close to the end of the game.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Nah that doesn't ruin anything. It could possibly make you less likely to cry- if that even matters.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That isn't the end and it'll make the experience better for you. Now you can be sure to carry a phoenix down.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aeris dies Aeris dies Aeris dies Aeris dies Aeris dies Aeris dies Aeris dies oh god

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't ruin it. She was a 2d characters who's only purpose was basically to die to invoke anger with the player regarding the main villain. It also happens far from the end

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.