Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

Anyone else so satisfied to have this on PSN that they've lost interest in the remake?

• 53 results
    DigDoug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Anyone else so satisfied to have this on PSN that they've lost interest in the remake? (347 votes)

Yes! All I wanted was to play FFVII again with a controller on a modern console. 9%
    No! I still want to see how they can update it. 60%
    I wasn't interested in the remake to begin with. 18%
    What's a Final Fantasy? 13%

...especially considering Squeenix's decision to release the game in pieces and make the battles real-time. I realized i just wanted to play FFVII again, the way i remembered it: pre-rendered backgrounds, ATB combat, iffy script, the whole nine. before this weekend, my only option was to play it with an emulator, but now that it's on PSN for PS4, i think i'm officially tapping out of the remake. i don't care anymore. this is what i wanted.

anyone else?

• 
    Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yep, I bought this, started playing it and realized I have no interest in the remake at all now.

telliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

After hearing how different the remake is going to be the original game defiantly still has value to me. If it was more along the lines of Nintendo's 3DS releases of Ocarina and Majora's Mask I could see the remake being the definitive version, however it sounds more like the FFVII remake is going to be a very different experience built around the bones of the original game.

Certainly it will be interesting to see how they have adapted those core ideas from FFVII to a more modern format but I feel a remake will never capture what everyone enjoyed about this game so much when it first released in '97.

Karthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Karthas

Judging from the general consensus on the internet I must be one of the few people who doesn't replay FF:VII every few years- I've never replayed it since the initial release all that time ago. So them re-releasing the original version and adding trophies was enough to get me. I'm still curious as to how the remake will turn out, but I'm pretty iffy. Not sure I'm on board with Final Fantasy VII: Kingdom Hearts: Active Time Drop Battle Episodes 1-4.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought buying the re-release would kill interest on a remake... If only because it's not that good a game with terrible translation on top of weak storytelling and horribly dated graphics. Then we'd all do the right thing and rally for an ff9 remake.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad they've made the choices they have, and there's room for both. Totally remaking FFVII as the exact same game seems like a colossal waste of time and money. I wish more of the remakes went the re-imagining route.

DigDoug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Karthas said:

Judging from the general consensus on the internet I must be one of the few people who doesn't replay FF:VII every few years- I've never replayed it since the initial release all that time ago. So them re-releasing the original version and adding trophies was enough to get me. I'm still curious as to how the remake will turn out, but I'm pretty iffy. Not sure I'm on board with Final Fantasy VII: Kingdom Hearts: Active Time Drop Battle Episodes 1-4.

i'm one of those people too; haven't played all the way through it since maybe 2000, but i tried early last year with an emulator and just couldn't vibe with the keyboard controls and untouched PS1 graphics.

i'll certainly give some gameplay videos a look when it comes out, but that'll probably be it. i honestly can't think of a single JRPG i've ever played with voice acting that didn't make me cringe at some point; yet another point against the remake.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then we'd all do the right thing and rally for an ff9 remake.

After hearing what they're doing to FFVII, I never want to see them touch FFIX again.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

As someone who didn't play FFVII back then and hasn't played a ton of it now, yeah, I'm still interested in playing it. I do want to finish the PS1 version first, though.

DigDoug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:
    @yesiamaduck said:

Then we'd all do the right thing and rally for an ff9 remake.

After hearing what they're doing to FFVII, I never want to see them touch FFIX again.

THIS. god, i can't even imagine how they'd manage to fuck that one up. FFIX is unremakeable as far as i'm concerned, especially in whatever style they're applying to FFVII. and since it never got a PC port we likely won't be seeing it on PSN anytime soon either.

9 - still the best FF game.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Lolwat. You could have played this game on the shittiest of laptops for years. I've already got my nostalgia fill a few times. Bring the remake on, whats the worst they could do to it.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Never really had interest in a remake. Just don't see the point (besides media exposure and money).

I like to play the original every now and then since the game was such a huge part of my life when it was released. Makes me feel young, which is nice this time of year.

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really curious to see how the remake turns out. I only played FFVII maybe 8 years ago on PC and I found it hadn't aged very well. If they just updated the graphics, that wouldn't fix a lot of the problems I had with the game. I'm glad they've decided to do a full remake rather than a remaster

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy about the release on PS4 and I'm also eagerly awaiting the remake.

Where's the choice for that?

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted No, I'm still curious to see how it goes down

DigDoug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb said:

Lolwat. You could have played this game on the shittiest of laptops for years. I've already got my nostalgia fill a few times. Bring the remake on, whats the worst they could do to it.

thats why i said "with a controller on a modern console". lolkay?

I'm happy about the release on PS4 and I'm also eagerly awaiting the remake.

Where's the choice for that?

that would be the second choice!

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eh I played the PS1 version on my vita last year. I'll skip the PS4 port and wait to see what happens with the remake

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: can they at least stop pouring all their budget onto 7 rereleases and remakes and have them re-release 9. Pleeease

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have my ps1 copy with an instruction manual signed by Nobuo Uematsu. I have some interest in the remake out of curiosity, but I'm all set.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OurSin_360

ps4 doesn't play it natively? Well i can just play it on an actual psx or a emulator on the pc. I just have no desire to ever pay for games i already own.

As far as the "remake" I'll pass until further info is given, if it's episodic like life is strange then i'll either wait until it's on sale for all episodes or pass on it completely if it's nothing but a watered down version of the story and combat

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The opposite. No interest in playing the PS1 game again, but looking forward to see what FFVII is when it's turned into a modern ARPG-ish thing.

zaldar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zaldar

ug I can't understand why anyone would want final fantasy to be an action RPG ... part of the charm of these games was the fact they were turn based and you could think and plan moves. The last thing I want is not to have time to do so...sigh ... guess I'll go back to older games and you kids stay off my lawn ...

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaldar said:

ug I can't understand why anyone would want final fantasy to be an action RPG ... part of the charm of these games was the fact they were turn based and you could think and plan moves. The last thing I want is not to have time to do so...sigh ... guess I'll go back to older games and you kids stay off my lawn ...

I'm sounding like a broken record at this point but FFVII was not turn based. You had a set amount of time to think and plan your moves because it was active time battle. If you remained idle, you'd die, just like in an action RPG. The enemy didn't wait for you

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

i feel like the remake is essentially a different game, so no. Remake scratches a completely different itch for me than the OG does.

Also I have a the PS1 copy and a functioning PS1 console so don't really care if it's on PSN or not. But it's only a good thing that is available.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaldar said:

I'm sounding like a broken record at this point but FFVII was not turn based. You had a set amount of time to think and plan your moves because it was active time battle. If you remained idle, you'd die, just like in an action RPG. The enemy didn't wait for you

Not completely true. If you set the ATB setting to wait, and you opened the item, magic or summon menu, time stops completely. It stops all actions of the enemy and waits for you to pick your option. Then it resumes time again.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wjb

I think the original has a charm to it. The pre-rendered backgrounds and blocky characters give it a distinctive, toy-chest appearance that doesn't happen anymore.

I know people are still excited for the remake/reboot, but its time has past. It made sense 10 years ago because fans were craving for realism and legitimacy (like how people went apeshit for Twilight Princess), but we don't live in that world anymore.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaldar said:

Not true at all, that was an optional way to play which i know i didnt use.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Well, I love me the original so I'm happy playing through that. I'm still interested in the remake, but more in a "Just how much of a trainwreck is this going to be" (and there is no doubt in my mind it will be a colossal trainwreck) kind of way as opposed to an actual interest in playing it.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Sessh

I bought it again (4th version now, I'm an idiot) just because it's been a few years since I've last played through it and it's going to be a fun and easy platinum trophy for me.

I'll definitely get the remake, even though the latest news on it, dampened my expectations even more. Still just way to curious to pass it up and I really want to see the "additions" they want to make to the story. (I care way too much about this game's story.)

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have it on the PC and put 43 hours into it. I still want to get the Remake.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna go play ff4 and 6 tonight, eff this noise!

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I should download it on my ps4.

I have my ps3 hooked up in the basement with a working copy of FFVII that I play usually at least once a year or so. Not sure if it's worth spending the extra money for the PS4 version.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#33  Edited By StarvingGamer

Nope, I'm only interested in the remake for all the ways it won't be FFVII. No desire to play the original ever again.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super interested in the remake because I never thought that highly of OG FF7. Turn-based gameplay was never my jam compared to action-RPG gameplay, except in a few cases, and the poorly translated script kills the story for me. The idea that the remake has action-rpg gameplay, and a script that is written in good English speaks to me. And hey, maybe they'll iron out the plot points I can't get over.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No because I had that on the PS3. If I wanted to replay FF7 as it was, Square has made it very easy to do that. I am way more interested in seeing what they do to update the whole thing.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

isn't the ps4 version the pc version with the shitty music?

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

While I do remember liking FFVII, it's not a game I've ever felt like replaying. I'm not hugely interested in either, but I'm definitely more interested in seeing what they do with the remake than I am with replaying the original again.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've already seen this. It's old. The remake is more interesting to me. That being said, I'm not going to replay a 60 hour game regardless.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I am solely interested in the Remake. Never played FF7 on PSX, and have little desire to do so, but for some reason I want to see how modern square enix takes it upon themselves to remake this beloved game.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who thought FFVII was vastly inferior to all previous FF games, but had a few merits, I'm really curious how people will receive the remake when it's forced to stand on it's own merits to a country who is not familiar with anime.

When I talk to people who love FFVII, they usually have opinions like:

It was the first game to really tell an adult story in a game and not just have a game for little kids! (No.)

It was the first game where one of the main characters that you really cared about died! (No.)

The characters were really well developed and felt like real people! (No.)

They were just kids who grew up with nothing but a Sega Genesis and had no knowledge of Anime, RPGs or Computer Games, so this was their first step into a world that was niche then and is common now.

I feel like people are going to find, unless Square drastically changes things, that much of the plot is just standard anime cliches.

That being said, the strengths of the game seem to remain intact, which is mostly just AMAZING music and art direction. Just astounding. (And the Materia system, but with it now playing like Kingdom Hearts, who knows...)

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#42 riostarwind  Moderator

Some part of me wanted a exact copy of FF7 remade today but the fact they are going in a new direction is just as interesting as a exact remake. Plus I like real time combat in RPGs so the direction they are going in fits into the kind of video games I like now.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm glad both options are up. Now they can try more new stuff, since people that only want the original content have it readily available.

ominousbedroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ominousbedroom

NO. In fact, aside from the remake, I think they should start do:

- a concurrent anime and 300-volume manga series

- a stage play/musical (maybe by the Takarazuka Revue)

- a fast food and/or gas station campaign

I have some other ideas, but they should have at least started with these to release with Part 1.

But yes, I'm still interested in the remake and don't care to speculate until I see much, much more.

Maedhros925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@__pb__ said:

The PS4 version is cleaned up to the point where it looks as good as I remember it - meaning it looks much, much better than the original PS1 version (models are rendered in native resolution, FMV is less noisy, backgrounds are pixelated but not garbage). Like the 3DS remakes of Ocarnia and Majora's Mask, you don't realize how much better it looks until you load up the old game and compare.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the remake, but the graphical improvements and the 3x speedup enhancement are more than enough to justify another playthrough. I'd love to see the same treatment applied to FF8.

I totally agree. After debating buying the re-release versus buying the PS3 PSN version and actually dabbling with playing my original PS1 discs on an emulator, the PS4 re-release is by far superior for my particular situation. First of all, PS1 emulation is way behind anything else I've tried. It's seriously a wasteland of bad configuration setup. While I finally got it running on two systems, it looked terrible and analog control is a tarpit which I haven't encountered on other emulated consoles. Second, the PS4 version comes with built-in controls for three particular cheats, which can be toggled at any point:

* Speed up time by 3x (auto-disabled in menus and pre-rendered cutscenes). This is awesome because the game becomes (with some lost efficiency) much faster. This is a very good thing in FF7's case, because even normal field battles take between 10-15 seconds per turn. That's an eternity when you know you can kill the enemies with 2-3 standard attacks.

* Disable random encounters completely. This is super awesome because it allows me to grind where I want to grind, rather than where the game forces me to fight uninteresting enemies to delay any progression.

* God mode (HP, MP, and Limit Break gauges set to full after each turn). This is a truly game-breaking cheat, but when I encounter a bullshit boss, as a non-teenager looking to play through the game for nostalgic purposes it lets me bulldoze any roadblocks that I hit and don't want to spend two hours battling.

After (my game clock reads) 3 1/2 hours, I've battled my way through the Shinra corporate headquarters and am having a blast with the game. Have I cheated my ass off? Yep. Have I missed out on the incremental upgrade metagame? Sure. Will I play the game to completion for the first time in 17 years? You betcha.

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played this game on PC and can still play my original copy on the PS3. I have zero interest in this release and it baffles me that people do.

I'm not pinning all my hopes on the remake, but at least it is interesting to see what they do. It doesn't tarnish the original in any way.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy just playing the original but I wouldn't mind seeing what they can do with the remake, I'll be happy no matter what they do because they didn't need to remake it.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I've had this via PSN for a while now (I played it last year). Has this only just been made available in the US market?

RonnieBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had this via PSN for a while now (I played it last year). Has this only just been made available in the US market?

The port of the PC version to the PS4 only just came out. Could you be thinking of the original PlayStation version that has been available on PSN as a PS1 Classic (playable on either the PS3 or Vita, but not the PS4) for several years?

Anyway, to answer the original question: replaying this PC version makes me want a remake even more by showing just how poor parts of the original game are when viewed with modern sensibilities.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.