Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

This game is a lot of hype

• 55 results
    Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Yeah I really wish this game would had focused more on using the rotating world to allow for unique platforming puzzles. Instead all you were doing was collecting shit. I enjoyed what little I played but got burned out fast.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@breadfan said:

You're a lot of hype.

No, you're a wasteland.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@greggd: I had way more fun playing FEZ than I ever did playing the original SMB. A game's relative importance doesn't make it fun. If you're making the case that only one of those is worthy of long-term recognition, then yeah, sure, I'd agree with you. But the reaction to the former was never "this is one of the greatest games of all time" and was more just "hey, this game is pretty cool." I don't know where this talk of "overhype" even comes from.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@greggd: I had way more fun playing FEZ than I ever did playing the original SMB. A game's relative importance doesn't make it fun. If you're making the case that only one of those is worthy of long-term recognition, then yeah, sure, I'd agree with you. But the reaction to the former was never "this is one of the greatest games of all time" and was more just "hey, this game is pretty cool." I don't know where this talk of "overhype" even comes from.

We obviously don't follow the same people then, because the hype was ridiculous when it came out.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@sissylion said:

@demontium said:

Fez is a very interesting and unique experience, but soon after realizing that every problem in the game can by solved by rotating the world around. Yes, the language, the puzzle hunting, and exploration do take the game further, but there is no real game to begin with. This is an extremely simple platformer with overly simple puzzles, whose main focus seems to be frivolous treasure hunting and letting you know that Phil Fish absolutely believes in dimensions beyond our 3rd.

"Super Mario Bros is a game that can be completely overcome by jumping and moving to the right. 2/10."

Sorry for being unclear. I meant that instead of using the perspective change in a way that led to new forms of puzzle-solving, you pretty much just keep turning it left and right until the platform is there. Instead of requiring logic on the players part, this game simply uses the perspective change as a gimmick rather than a a gameplay aspect.

Now as far as your example using SMB - that was a game that literally laid the standard for every future platform as far as mechanics. So I really don't see you're point. If you were to compare Fez's perspective change to mario's jump mechanics relative to when each game was released, Nintnedo's game was groundbreaking and Polytron's had a neat idea that severely lacked execution.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.