Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Speedrunning Fez

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By leburgan

So I'm thinking of trying to go ahead and try and do a fez speedrun. I'm just unsure about a few thigs. Should I be able to fly? And what abotut the clock cubes(that seems tedious). Is it a viable game for a speedrun, or should I go somewhere else?

TimFReilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TimFReilly

Fly or no fly is personal choice, but it feels more like a cheat than a skill in the game. I wouldn't use it for speed runs, especially if you're intending to record. A video of a guy flying everywhere sounds like the most boring thing ever.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Jrinswand

I kinda feel like doing a speedrun of Fez is missing the whole point of the game.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ravenlight

@TimFReilly said:

A video of a guy flying everywhere sounds like the most boring thing ever.

You haven't watched many speedruns, huh?

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Jack268

@Ravenlight said:

@TimFReilly said:

I don't think a lot of speedrunners allow NG+ items or "cheat" items. (I don't know what this fly thing in Fez actually is), and if that would be the case for Fez, it would probably be split in two categories.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Mijati

Don't think a speed run would be that interesting. Assuming it's a full 64 cube + 3 red pieces run you'd just rush through the first playthrough then do the second run through. You'd have all the puzzles "solved" already so it'd just be randomly rotating around.

The game isn't skill based so it'd just be a case of finding the fastest route which is fairly boring to watch to be honest.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CaLe

I say no fly.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Bollard

@tankintheair315: You can't do flying in your speedrun anyway, cause you'd have to restart the game (and flying is NG+). Also, about the clock, read my following comment:

@DarkDude said:

Don't think a speed run would be that interesting. Assuming it's a full 64 cube + 3 red pieces run you'd just rush through the first playthrough then do the second run through. You'd have all the puzzles "solved" already so it'd just be randomly rotating around.

The game isn't skill based so it'd just be a case of finding the fastest route which is fairly boring to watch to be honest.

I think it would be most interesting to see a 32 cube run, so that you can see the fastest route to getting any combination of 32 cubes and anticubes. That would mean you could skip the clock, and get to the "Ending". That'd be the best way to do it in my opinion.

TimFReilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By TimFReilly

@Ravenlight said:

@TimFReilly said:

Yes I have, and the ones that are "pure" but which have premises circumvent gameplay are the most dull. I want to see lots of skill and excitement, not Mario 3 floating across each level.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#10  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think Fez is a strong candidate for a speed run. The best games for speed runs tend to be those which require some kind of skilled hand-eye co-ordination and precision, while Fez on the other hand contains mostly light platforming, and the big challenges come from the puzzles. Either you've played through Fez before and know all the answers to the puzzles, in which case there's no real "wow factor" in seeing you get through the most difficult parts of the game, or you haven't played through Fez before and the biggest challenges of the game are going to involve a lot of you sitting around in front of the game not doing much, and repeatedly going away and thinking to work out clues.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By onan

@Gamer_152: I'd have to disagree. You can still marvel at people memorizing which way to rotate things, exploit glitches, and not have the timing down perfectly for moving platforms and stuff. I mean, most people have beaten Portal by this point, so even knowing the solution to all the puzzles doesn't make this 9 minute, 25 second speed run of the game any less impressive.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@onan: But rotating objects, exploiting physics glitches in that way, and jumping on moving platforms at the right time all involve precision and hand-eye co-ordination. Can you imagine a speedrun that looks anything like that happening in Fez? You cannot pull off the kind of crazy physics glitches and exploits in Fez that you can in Portal, and the ASHPD creates a potential level of precision and physics manipulation in the world which Fez just doesn't have.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By leburgan

If I do do it, it will be 32 cubes no fly, seeing how fast I can do it. And there are plenty of slower games that are speedrun(pokemon). I thought of doing this because I wanted to watch someone speedrun Fez.

your_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By your_name_here

You could make a thread on SDA. You'll probably get more support there: http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/

As for the types of runs: NG would be starting a fresh game NG+ would be starting a new game after beating it once and using flying. In addition, there's also any% (32 cubes) and 100%(umm), as well as single segment (all at once) or segmented (beating it over multiple sessions, only using your best for each section)

You can use whatever combination of these that you like. Personally, I think that a single segment run would be pretty hard, as you'd have to set your system clock based on when you expect to get to the clock, so that you can pick up all of the cubes there at once.

I'd love to see this run done as well (no matter how you do it), and am looking forward to watching it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.