Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Fez is coming to other platforms in 2013.

• 80 results
    MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By MURDERSMASH

@Animasta said:

@MURDERSMASH said:

Awesome, Fez is coming to other platforms! Lets hop onto some message boards to...OH COME ON! FEZ is coming to other platforms, not THE VIRTUAL PHIL FISH SIMULATOR. Can we all please just fucking talk about Fez for once? The same bullshit is being spewed over at Reddit as well, and i'm sick and tired of all the cynicism, ignorance, and negativity surrounding Fish. He has an abrasive personality. WE GET IT. Holy fucking shit. Swallow your damn pride for two seconds and just take a look at the game as-is.

I don't even care about him at this point, but it's still a sticking point for a large group of people.

more specifically it's the fact that there will be very little of that original zeitgeist of trying to solve the puzzles that there were in the 360 version, which according to the crew was a large part why that game was so cool

Discovering that stuff is still really amazing, even if you are able to look up hints. I actually didn't get to NG+ until sometime in May, which is several weeks after all the puzzles were already worked out. I actually cracked one of the languages myself (the tetris shapes one), and that was an AMAZING feeling. Some of the stuff that I was completely stuck on, like the alphabet, or the clock, etc., I looked up, and even looking up the solutions was mind-blowing when I started piecing together in my head how I would come to those conclusions.

So, yeah...the zeitgeist is gone, but you'll still be amazed by what the game has to offer regardless.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Animasta

@MURDERSMASH said:

@Animasta said:

@MURDERSMASH said:

Awesome, Fez is coming to other platforms! Lets hop onto some message boards to...OH COME ON! FEZ is coming to other platforms, not THE VIRTUAL PHIL FISH SIMULATOR. Can we all please just fucking talk about Fez for once? The same bullshit is being spewed over at Reddit as well, and i'm sick and tired of all the cynicism, ignorance, and negativity surrounding Fish. He has an abrasive personality. WE GET IT. Holy fucking shit. Swallow your damn pride for two seconds and just take a look at the game as-is.

I don't even care about him at this point, but it's still a sticking point for a large group of people.

more specifically it's the fact that there will be very little of that original zeitgeist of trying to solve the puzzles that there were in the 360 version, which according to the crew was a large part why that game was so cool

Discovering that stuff is still really amazing, even if you are able to look up hints. I actually didn't get to NG+ until sometime in May, which is several weeks after all the puzzles were already worked out. I actually cracked one of the languages myself (the tetris shapes one), and that was an AMAZING feeling. Some of the stuff that I was completely stuck on, like the alphabet, or the clock, etc., I looked up, and even looking up the solutions was mind-blowing when I started piecing together in my head how I would come to those conclusions.

So, yeah...the zeitgeist is gone, but you'll still be amazed by what the game has to offer regardless.

I wouldn't have bought the game anyways honestly, this is mostly because it is an indie 2d platformer and I have hated every one I've played.

and even then the puzzle solvey stuff just makes it sound like myst or something

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#53  Edited By Phatmac

Man this thread did turn into the Phil Fish debate center. Poor Fez will always be judged by its creator.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By mordukai

@Phatmac said:

Man this thread did turn into the Phil Fish debate center. Poor Fez will always be judged by its creator.

Can you really have one without the other?

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By MURDERSMASH

@Animasta said:

@MURDERSMASH said:

@Animasta said:

@MURDERSMASH said:

I wouldn't have bought the game anyways honestly, this is mostly because it is an indie 2d platformer and I have hated every one I've played.

and even then the puzzle solvey stuff just makes it sound like myst or something

It's not really a platformer, but I get what you're saying. It really is a 2D Myst, in many ways. The platforming is just how you get around the world, kind of like in Myst, how you get around the world by clicking. God, just thinking of Myst is making me nostalgic. Absolutely LOVE that game.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Animasta

@Phatmac said:

especially with an indie game, if the creator's a dick that makes people not want to support him; simple facts.

I liked ender's game before I knew how orson scott card was a crazy fuckin mormon asshole, but after that I could never really read it again.

@MURDERSMASH: sure, and I didn't really like myst anyway; if a game wants me to piece together shit, I'd rather enjoy playing it (like dark souls, for example).

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By Tylea002

@Phatmac said:

I'm not coming down on this argument one way or another, for I have not played FEZ, but he spends the entirety of Indie Game the movie going on about how Fez is the most personal game of all time, he and the game are one, and that the essence of indie games is putting yourself into it in a way that doesn't happen with bigger games.

So, it's a tad more relevant than in, say, an LA Noire, for he himself is attempting to benefit from the positive sides of that discussion. To ignore the negative is to have the cake, and eat it too. So I can see why it's especially prevalent with this game.

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By MURDERSMASH

@Animasta said:

@Phatmac said:

especially with an indie game, if the creator's a dick that makes people not want to support him; simple facts.

I liked ender's game before I knew how orson scott card was a crazy fuckin mormon asshole, but after that I could never really read it again.

@MURDERSMASH: sure, and I didn't really like myst anyway; if a game wants me to piece together shit, I'd rather enjoy playing it (like dark souls, for example).

Heh, funny thing is, I don't like Dark Souls for how obtuse it is, at least in some ways. My biggest complaint about it, though, is how everything respawns if you die. It turns the combat from a tense, delicate dance into a tedious, needlessly hard grind. And to me, that isn't fun at all.

But that's off-topic.

@Tylea002 said:

@Phatmac said:

I'm not coming down on this argument one way or another, for I have not played FEZ, but he spends the entirety of Indie Game the movie going on about how Fez is the most personal game of all time, he and the game are one, and that the essence of indie games is putting yourself into it in a way that doesn't happen with bigger games.

So, it's a tad more relevant than in, say, an LA Noire, for he himself is attempting to benefit from the positive sides of that discussion. To ignore the negative is to have the cake, and eat it too. So I can see why it's especially prevalent with this game.

That argument falls apart for me if you look at it like this: Everyone is accusing Phil Fish of being this angry, racist prick, right? Well if you look at Fez, it's the exact opposite of what people are accusing him of. There's no combat, the world is peaceful and mysterious, the music is relaxing and airy...it's nothing like his "public persona". So, in that respect, I do think it's OK to have my cake and eat it too.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By Tylea002

@MURDERSMASH said:

@Tylea002 said:

@Phatmac said:

That argument falls apart for me if you look at it like this: Everyone is accusing Phil Fish of being this angry, racist prick, right? Well if you look at Fez, it's the exact opposite of what people are accusing him of. There's no combat, the world is peaceful and mysterious, the music is relaxing and airy...it's nothing like his "public persona". So, in that respect, I do think it's OK to have my cake and eat it too.

Oh, I'm not saying I agree with the argument or not, cause I haven't played the game, I'm just saying that I can see why people are talking about Phil Fish's public persona a lot more, when he himself is using his personal connection as promotional material for the game. Plenty of people make games and can be accused of a lot of things, true or not, but that's the reasons I see as to why it's especially prevalent with this game specifically.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By shiftymagician

FEZ is a great game and I shall play it again if it comes to the PC. Shall buy it full price as well. You don't need to have played it when it released to still enjoy it, but you do need to be smart and patient to avoid giving up to wikis, just like every other game that ever bothered to give people a proper mental challenge ever.

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By MURDERSMASH

@Tylea002 said:

@MURDERSMASH said:

@Tylea002 said:

@Phatmac said:

Oh, I'm not saying I agree with the argument or not, cause I haven't played the game, I'm just saying that I can see why people are talking about Phil Fish's public persona a lot more, when he himself is using his personal connection as promotional material for the game. Plenty of people make games and can be accused of a lot of things, true or not, but that's the reasons I see as to why it's especially prevalent with this game specifically.

You should play it, and then you'll understand. :D

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#62  Edited By SagaciousJones
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By MistaSparkle

Good news!! I'm ready to try it out!

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#64  Edited By FakeKisser

@Jams said:

maybe I'll finally get a chance to play Fez when it comes out for PC.

Yeah, I've been waiting for PC, since I don't have a 360. I am sad that it won't be the same experience due to the secrets being revealed already, but I'll just keep myself away from a FAQ...and if one isn't started, I'll personally start a thread on these forums for PC players that haven't read too much on Fez and want to try and replicate the initial experience 360 players had. It won't be the exact same, but it will at least partially replicate it, if those people haven't looked at FAQs yet, either.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Lysergica33

What? It'll be less complex and less grand because 360 owners have already had at it? What about those of us who heard about all the cryptology stuff but didn't look at any of it? I want to delve in and figure it all out myself, as is true to the original, intended vision!

Still good news though!

Edit: And you guys are acting like there aren't other amazing game developers (or artists) out there with strange personalities. True artists are all totally fucking bonkers in a variety of ways, and while Fish has said some fairly abrasive stuff, I never got the impression that he's a fundamentally bad guy. The impression I got of him is that the filter between his brain and mouth doesn't work that well and that he doesn't know how to deal with stress. That and that he's an incredibly driven, passionate artist. Seriously, watch Indie Game: The Movie and look at how much of himself he gave to that project. As an artist (albeit in a different field, music) I can't help but have a deep respect for that.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ajamafalous

Lemme guess: April 2013?

Fucking Microsoft.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By 49th

Yay, I'll finally be able to play Fez - now to decide between PC or 3DS possibly.

Cerevisiae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By Cerevisiae

PC release is most likely, right? I mean, he was the one who had issues with patching his game when he could have done that without all the BS on PC. One of us, one of us. Handhelds wouldn't be bad either. I actually don't like playing 2D platformers on a home console, and prefer them on my PC or DS/3DS.

And now to disappear from this thread because I still don't know the secret about Fez that apparently everyone else already knows

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#69  Edited By Hailinel

@GrantHeaslip said:

@evanbower said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

I think it was closer to $30,000, but same difference. It was both weird that he was allowed to win the same award twice and rude of him to tell people to suck his dick in doing so.

I just realized why we may differ on our thoughts about Phil Fish. It may have something to do with our proximity to Quebec. Now hear me out here: one man's "rude" is another man's "French Canadian." Suuuure he may speak out of turn once in awhile.. it is part of his DNA. But I've never seen that be an indication that said Canadian is a bad person, when it really comes down to it.

Don't read this as a defence of Fish, but as a Canadian with a very limited knowledge of French-canadian culture, I'll corroborate that I read some of his behaviour as stereotypically French.

Also, while I don't know how pervasive his indiscretions have been, everyone says things they end up regretting once in a while, except most of us don't have an army of people on the internet waiting to pounce on mistakes. Stress (in the "I've devoted years of my life to this thing that could end up being an embarrassing and costly failure" sense) is, I'm sure, a real motherfucker.

I honestly don't see how his being French Canadian is an excuse for his being an assclown. Saying he just falls into a stereotype doesn't really mean anything. I mean, if there's a hillbilly that happens to be a racist imbecile, that doesn't excuse him for the fact that hillbillies are stereotypically racist imbeciles.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Terramagi

@Hailinel said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

@evanbower said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

I think it was closer to $30,000, but same difference. It was both weird that he was allowed to win the same award twice and rude of him to tell people to suck his dick in doing so.

I just realized why we may differ on our thoughts about Phil Fish. It may have something to do with our proximity to Quebec. Now hear me out here: one man's "rude" is another man's "French Canadian." Suuuure he may speak out of turn once in awhile.. it is part of his DNA. But I've never seen that be an indication that said Canadian is a bad person, when it really comes down to it.

Don't read this as a defence of Fish, but as a Canadian with a very limited knowledge of French-canadian culture, I'll corroborate that I read some of his behaviour as stereotypically French.

Also, while I don't know how pervasive his indiscretions have been, everyone says things they end up regretting once in a while, except most of us don't have an army of people on the internet waiting to pounce on mistakes. Stress (in the "I've devoted years of my life to this thing that could end up being an embarrassing and costly failure" sense) is, I'm sure, a real motherfucker.

I honestly don't see how his being French Canadian is an excuse for his being an assclown. Saying he just falls into a stereotype doesn't really mean anything. I mean, if there's a hillbilly that happens to be a racist imbecile, that doesn't excuse him for the fact that hillbillies are stereotypically racist imbeciles.

He's from Quebec?

Hurray, I can be judgemental on a whole 'nother level now!

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Rattle618

Great, thank you so much for releasing this news A WEEK AFTER I FINALLY GAVE UP ON AVOIDING SPOILERS FOR IT, YOU PIECE OF SHIT! 
    I´ll probably play it though, just to see the stuff for myself.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By WasabiCurry

@Cerevisiae: Do not fret, I have never played Fez. I'll wait for the release of it on PC.

There is an old saying that Fish should follow. "Think before you speak." I understand that creativity can come from those who are truly out there or unique. For less of a better word. However, you cannot excuse the blatant, stupid remarks of Phil Fish. When you say something that is completely out of line you're being an ignorant twat, not an artist. I do not like the guy, but I appreciate on how cool Fez looks and plays.

Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Rainbowkisses

It's great that it's coming to other platforms but it doesn't really seem like my kind of game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I already bought the points for it after hearing the praise on the GOTY podcasts but now I want to wait for the PC version........yeah, I'll wait for the PC version.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Lysergica33

@WasabiCurry said:

There is an old saying that Fish should follow. "Think before you speak." I understand that creativity can come from those who are truly out there or unique. For less of a better word. However, you cannot excuse the blatant, stupid remarks of Phil Fish. When you say something that is completely out of line you're being an ignorant twat, not an artist. I do not like the guy, but I appreciate on how cool Fez looks and plays.

Well, I'm not gonna judge the guy for his comments but otherwise you won't hear any argument from me there. I'm not saying his artistic temperment justifies him acting like a dick, but y'know, shit happens when people of certain dispositions get put under certain kinds of pressure. I just wanted to offer up another perspective rather than bashing on him.

But yeah, whatever one's opinion is of the guy, Fez undeniably looks awesome as all hell. Can't wait to play it.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By WasabiCurry

@Lysergica33: Definitely a negative view of the guy after watching The Indie Game: The Film, but I will be lying that I am more interested in Fez than ever. Hope it comes to PC! <3

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#78  Edited By Ghostiet

@SagaciousJones said:

But Phil, I thought Fez was a console game for consoles? Aren't PCs for spreadsheets?

See, I don't disagree about Microsoft's policies being unfair to small developers, but to trumpet the console exclusivity of your game, only to later sob over if only you had submitted your game to steam is disgusting.

Why can't more indie game makers be like Pixel? Why is the movement represented by these man-children who throw tantrums in response to legitimate criticism?

That "console game for consoles" shit is all the more hilarious after it turned out that Fez is just a gigantic meta-puzzle where it would be best to have a notepad and a laptop with Internet access just near you. Things I usually don't have when I sit on a couch and play with a controller.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By fetchfox

FINALLY! Took long enough.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#80  Edited By xyzygy

I just found out this game was created entirely with Microsoft's XNA tools. Can this even be ported to other consoles? It's a no-brainer that it'll come to PC, but since MS published the game and it was created with their toolkit how can the game be ported to something like the 3DS, PS3 or Wii U? Other platforms can mean things like PC and Windows Store for tablets.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#81  Edited By irrelevantjohn

Hopefully it's not gonna take too long for a release.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#82  Edited By Azteck

Holy shit that webpage is annoying to look at. Let's hope a PC release comes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.