Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 5

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Mar 27, 2018

The fifth main entry in the open-world series, this time set in Montana. The protagonist must free Hope County from the cult known as Eden’s Gate, led by cult leader Joseph Seed.

Far Cry 5 will have a fully customisable protagonist (gender,race,etc.)What are your thoughts on this?

• 120 results
    The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@humanity said:
    @the_nubster said:

I think it's really weak. It reads to me that they realised their depiction of that area of the world would be met with a lot of flak so they're trying to weasel out of actually having an opinion in any way possible, and instead trying to make everyone happy while only making the usual angry exclusive folks happy.

So at what point is trying to make everyone happy a bad thing?

Are you reading what I said or just trying to be contrarian? I answered your question in my own post.

It's a bad thing when "everyone" realistically just means "the loudest and more ignorant group," which is generally what these choices boil down to. The customisable character is a result of the potential lost sales that come from setting a game in deeply religious America with western religion as a driving factor in the story. You can already see the backlash the setting is getting from people who feel offended that you'll be shooting religious white people, and it would only make it worse if your protagonist was either a) anything but white, making the aforementioned people a million percent more furious or b) white, continuing the trend of making exclusive protagonists and throwing away any chance at making a narrative with any sort of direction, gravitas, or commentary. Making a customizable protagonist makes it pretty likely that the player character will not have any significant bearing on the plot beyond nodding their head and shooting who they're told to shoot. There won't be any commentary on race and politics, no socioeconomic views, no examination of how class or gender or colour or (potential lack of) belief affects life in modern America. Your character will exist as a mirror for their new unpredictably violent antagonist to bounce off of, rather than a potential foil to expand and explore ideas with.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If this was a series where the player character was actively involved and interesting throughout I would be worried as being customizable may lose that focus. Since Far Cry 3 and 4 have fairly forgettable performances from their protagonists I say go for it.

Nach0Sanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd prefer the far cry 2 pick a character out of a lineup and they each have a different backstory. I thought that was cool.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@the_nubster: I wasn't trying to be contrarian and I expended on what I meant in a few posts above so I won't get too much into it here, you're welcome to read it. In short I think you are painting with a really broad brush in naming "everyone" as apparently the most loud and ignorant people, instead of simply "people" - people who have different tastes, needs and preferences as evidenced by the responses in this thread that praise that choice. The integrity of the story does not solely hinge on who the protagonist is. It is in fact a much more powerful experience when the protagonist is supposed to be You, the person, rather than a preconceived character that reacts and feels in a very specific way. This way the game is bouncing off its ideas of every player on an individual level instead of saying "this thing makes you angry and now this other thing makes you sad." It is in my opinion extremely shortsighted to say they have already ruined their narrative and compromised its value without having even the smallest inkling of what it is apart from a superficial look at an early trailer.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By oldenglishc

I'm fine with it as long as there's a Zap Rowsdower preset. Just pretend the nazi inspired cult is in Canada instead of Montana and voila, you've got the 'Final Sacrifice' game that everybody has always wanted.

cyborgx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've long been a supporter of player characters that are actual characters and not just empty vessels for the player to fill. But as far as I can tell, your character never mattered in Far Cry. 3 is the only one I played, so I might be mistaken about this but it felt like the main character was already completely interchangeable. In fact, if the character continues to be as much of a non-entity as he has been in the past, it seems kind of silly to make you go through the trouble of creating the character in the first place.

Maybe this actually means the character will have a more personalized role in the story, now that I think about it. Why would they make you create a character otherwise?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'm fine with it as long as there's a Zap Rowsdower preset. Just pretend the nazi inspired cult is in Canada instead of Montana and voila, you've got the 'Final Sacrifice' game that everybody has always wanted.

Holy. Shit.

I want this so bad now.

SnakeEater321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yknow what the funny thing about Ubisoft games is? You've played one, you've played them all.
    50% of the game will be climbing towers to uncover more of the map and getting showered in a billion mission icons, and 50% of the game will be mass murdering generic bad guys
    Ubisoft is horrible at innovation and would rather play it safe every time for the $$$$$
    Whether or not you can customize your character won't change a damn thing when it's basically just going to be another re-skin/mod of Far Cry 3 but set in Montana

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they add a custom radio where you could add your MP3's GTA has always done this with there PC version's more games need this.

retrometal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@s-man1236: considering I hate having to make custom characters in games, I don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuu...

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

The FC protagonist has meant so little, for so long, I can't see what this changes at all. It's a total lateral movement.

Personally I've always read the design of their PC as being effectively a blank slate other than the context of why you are there.

squidracerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Considering it's a first person game and you'll never really see your protagonist much to begin with, I don't know why this matters,

"The whole game can be played in co-op" -- mystery solved!

squidracerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

That seems like a dumb waste of resources. It's a FPS game, you won't see more than the arms of the character. What's the point of full customization? Are they going to make the cutscenes in third person?

I see now that these posts were before E3 -- so people may have missed - whole game is co-op. You will see your buddies.

Avatar image for misterbananafoam
    MisterBananaFoam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 13

Eh. Seems rather pointless to me considering its only functionality would be for co-op purposes, but I think the strengths in modern Far Cry's casts always emanated from its villains. They're the ones that get the biggest marketing pushes and often make the plots more interesting. Get someone who hasn't played Far Cry 3 to describe a character from the story and I almost guarantee that a large majority will identify and start talking about Vaas.

That's not to say the PCs are often poorly developed in these games, but I don't think we'd lose a whole lot from this so long as the cult preacher antagonist is interesting enough. That's my take on it.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's naive to think that this Far Cry will tackle racism and religious fundamentalism in any meaningful way whatsoever. It's a Far Cry game. Sure, it would be cool if they put some real thought into a message about these issues and used the game to portray that, but it is kind of hard to go a serious, socially aware route and then fly over a town dropping grenades on to houses, burning crops to the ground, stealthing around and ruthlessly slitting throats, etc. For the action to work the game framework needs to leave little moral ambiguity in your actions.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I think it's a great idea. Let people play as the whoever they want.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#119  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I don't care what race or gender I play as, but I'm not really big on silent protagonists, and very few games put as much care into a voiced and fully customizable protagonist as something like Saints Row. Unless they're going to put that kind of effort into things, I'd much rather have a well written character of any gender or race.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time to bring Amanda Huggenkiss out of retirement.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@themanwithnoplan said:

I don't care what race or gender I play as, but I'm not really big on silent protagonists, and very few games put as much care into a voiced and fully customizable protagonist as something like Saints Row. Unless they're going to put that kind of effort into things, I'd much rather have a well written character of any gender or race.

It's not a perfect solution, but I feel like in that case just have two performances. 1. Male - 1. Female. Then apply it to whatever template you pick. Customize appearance, race, etc. separately.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care in the slightest. I have been on the side of a well crafted story instead of giving choices that don't do much. I generally don't spend any time customizing a character. I am not angry of it being there, but is really isn't exciting either.

Emil97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Emil97

Thats a good question

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Most game stories are poorly done, so gimme that customization!

If a game does have a great story going for it where the protaganist is more than an empty vessel, I agree, don’t mess with that.

A couple of examples where customization works:

Mass Effect

FemShep is one of my favorite protaganists, and Jennifer Hale’s performance was the afterthought next to the Mark Meer Shep. If it was locked down to default dude, I’d have not fallen for Mass Effect half as hard as I did.

Saint’s Row

Your voiceless cipher matured into a wise-cracking ball of fun in Saints Row The Third and IV. I had fun tailoring multiple characters across multiple playthroughs to the voices available. I thought it added to that series tremendously.

Sunset Overdrive

Another goofy game out to have fun that benefitted from customization. I really dug my custom...jumpy, smashy, Melvins fan.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#126  Edited By SamanthaK

It's fine, I personally don't mind playing characters of the opposite sex.

Hell, i love Metal Gear Solid because the main characters are just the coolest (not Raiden from MGS2 though).

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnymyko said:

That seems like a dumb waste of resources. It's a FPS game, you won't see more than the arms of the character. What's the point of full customization? Are they going to make the cutscenes in third person?

I see now that these posts were before E3 -- so people may have missed - whole game is co-op. You will see your buddies.

Also I think seeing your arms, including a colour of their skin, totally has merit. And the "feeling" of playing the character you have chosen to impersonate changes the feel, at least for me, even if I am not looking at the model all the time. I will play this solo but for me this is a welcome change.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That's great, I might not ignore this game if the customisation options are good.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By personandstuff

Seems like they've nuked any race elements that would go hand in hand with this type of group. I think I saw Asian cult members in some footage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.