Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVO Championship Series

Concept »

The World Fighting Game Championships in all but name. Since 2000, the Evolution Championship Series has been the most prominent fighting game tournament event. It features the best players from all over the world.

The Collusion of Money, Drama, And Pride

• 157 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5
    deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

COLLUSION!

Cyrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By Cyrix

@jokersmilez:

I don't think your point about revealing new strategies really follows, especially when talking about guys at the level of ChirsG or J.Wong.

Lets go with your example and say Chris has some new way of shutting down Justin's team that he doesn't want to reveal at some low level tournament.

Here is the easy and obvious solution, he just doesn't use it... if he just plays Justin like he would have before discovering the new tech and at the best of his ability, no one will question he played 100%. Chris will know he didn't but that doesn't matter, he will have played by the rules of the tournament all while holding his cards for later.

No one can make a claim that he didn't use a strategy no one knows about yet.

The rules are only about collusion not destroying the metagame.

geekbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Awesome article Patrick! Really makes me want to get into the fighting game scene. I'll have check out EVO next year. Keep 'em coming!

marblecmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Interesting read, Patrick.

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#155  Edited By MeganeAgain
    Loading Video...

CALL SPOOKY

Sorry, I just had to post that.

Anyway, this is great read. I'd love to see more articles on the FGC, or competitive gaming in general. This article was very well done.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Hmmm quite sickening...I do wish that any person that admits to ever taking part in this gets banned completely from all the circuits.

I call BS bububbu we want it to change, no you want to keep money around just like you wanted to keep money and hamper someone else's ability to gain money because of stupid crap surrounding a video game that pissed you off, You are a horrible cyber sportsman and should be banned for life.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

If you really want to get rid of match fixing and pot splitting then you need to do away with monetary prizes altogether. At that point pride really is the only motivation and that is not something you can fix or split.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#161  Edited By Cubical

I went to evo once this year and I thought the people there was nut jobs and I could care less about watching them play old fighting games. I went there to see some new games being shown on the floor and to buy or get some free crap they was giving out.

I could care less about the so called small community they got going just the games.

in fact I think these small group of people are having a overall huge negative impact on fighting games period when they get made since they all come out as fucking clones for this small group of nut jobs that sit around playing the same crap all day and counting frame or what ever they do and whine about so called balance they think exist in these games.

and they just turn new casual people off the fighting game scene I know some people that won't touch fighting games anymore because they saw some of these guys and now they think all fighting games are made for them. (this is true since they bitch and whine about the game enough they are starting to make them for this small group of people.)

They are keeping fighting games from growing and doing anything new in this space or evolving in anyway they are all just capcom japanese street fighter clones now. mortal kombat is one of the few I see not follow this trend so close in the last few years. they just pump out the clones to keep this so called balance for these evo nuts the devs won't do anything else. Pretty much Same old 6 button arcade stick crap going on since 1991.

and even mortal kombat people think it's to hard core (it's not)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29221/Mortal_Kombats_Boon_Hardcore_Reputation_Hinders_Sales_In_Fighting_Game_Genre.php

also all the clones is not helping capcom sell any more of these games anymore they helped keep the market flooded with pretty much the same games over and over and they are not selling . Same deal they did when fighting games took a dive and went under the last time.

Never going again not worth the 6 hour car trip or the travel cost or any other cost.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@kazona said:

If you really want to get rid of match fixing and pot splitting then you need to do away with monetary prizes altogether. At that point pride really is the only motivation and that is not something you can fix or split.

I think you'd still see match fixing, if only to cockblock outsiders, like the example Snyder gives.

If the FGC is truly serious about getting rid of collusion, they should end double elimination tourneys in addition to the judgement calls talked about here. There's going to be far, far fewer chances for politics when you're playing a best of seven single-elim tourney as opposed to a best of five double-elim. Who wants to throw their one shot, right?

rlhyeung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just read the article now, finally, and a really good job Patrick! I look forward to more articles like this :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.