Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Empire: Total War

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 03, 2009

The fifth installment in the Total War series from The Creative Assembly. Empire: Total War features the series' hallmark blend of real-time strategic battles, and turn-based empire building. Empire takes place during the 18th century — an age of imperial expansion, trade, rifles and cannons.

Stability issues and a bunch of bugs in Empire Total War

velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By velt

You know guys I love this game. But is unstable as hell and it seems that Im not the only one. I have to go back into previous savegames to avoid doing things that then would make the AI do certain things that then they would trigger a crash to desktop.

It seems that the problem is quite widespread.

So, anyone having issues?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

Medieval Total War 2 was a buggy mess. Seems my prediction for Empire being the same was bang on!

I've not played the game but the demo refused to start up on my computer, I tried some troubleshooting but eventually gave up. If the demo refuses to start, I can't imagine how the full game runs, or I atleast don't want to imagine how bad it might be.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Gunner
    Hamz said:
    "Medieval Total War 2 was a buggy mess. Seems my prediction for Empire being the same was bang on!I've not played the game but the demo refused to start up on my computer, I tried some troubleshooting but eventually gave up. If the demo refuses to start, I can't imagine how the full game runs, or I atleast don't want to imagine how bad it might be."
    the game doesnt have nearly as much bugs as medieval 2 did at launch. Yeah it has some pretty big game breaking bugs in it but its a huge step forward compared to medieval 2. And it seems that they are planning on building and improving the game even more by adding some DLC later in the game like online campaign mode...
    gazel_ministry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By gazel_ministry

I fought through at least three battles and had the game crash when I clicked to complete. Those were about the only real issues I had and the first two I didn't mind. That third battle however, that got me mad. I didn't have any of the download issues through Steam that so many others were having.

RJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By RJ

No doubt the game launch has been pretty rough for quite a few, but I have experienced only a few CTD's and installation was a breeze on day of release for me (although a lengthy breeze). Game definitely has issues but CA are working on a series of weekly patches for us that hopefully will solve alot of people's problems. Game probably could have used some more dev time, but from what I hear CA always puts themselves in this situation lol. Can't say that I'm not having fun with it though.

velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By velt

I want to have fun with it, naturally I paid for it. But I want to be able to play without any issues or at least as bug free as it can run...  I know of some people that cant even get the game started.

dsham99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By dsham99

HEEELLLP... i am bugged... literally... i bought the downloadable speacial forces editions of the game, and i cant get the game to load the campaign... it comes to the single player grand campaign , where you set up the parameters of the game you want to play, like choosong betweeen a long or short campaign, and when i choose and proceed to play it has a problem loading... HELP DAMNIT

velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By velt
    dsham99 said:
    "HEEELLLP... i am bugged... literally... i bought the downloadable speacial forces editions of the game, and i cant get the game to load the campaign... it comes to the single player grand campaign , where you set up the parameters of the game you want to play, like choosong betweeen a long or short campaign, and when i choose and proceed to play it has a problem loading... HELP DAMNIT"
    Welcome to the club. I dont know what else to say, I have reached a point where I cant eclare war on anyone or it will crash... how pathetic is that?
    kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kozzy1234

Ive played 20+ hours and not one freeze or crash. Im loving the game.

I hope people having problems running the game get it worked out sson, as this is the best game in years imo.

The 3 computers ive tried it on (mine and two friends), its worked great, although one of my other friends is having trouble playign it on his labtop (i told him it wouldnt work very well hehe).

Im just glad i can play the game with no problems (other then the odd ai problem). Best game ive played in years to be honest.

Thread starter.. what kind of computer/graphics card are you using?

velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By velt
    kozzy1234 said:
    "Ive played 20+ hours and not one freeze or crash. Im loving the game.I hope people having problems running the game get it worked out sson, as this is the best game in years imo.The 3 computers ive tried it on (mine and two friends), its worked great, although one of my other friends is having trouble playign it on his labtop (i told him it wouldnt work very well hehe).Im just glad i can play the game with no problems (other then the odd ai problem). Best game ive played in years to be honest.Thread starter.. what kind of computer/graphics card are you using?"
    Well Im using a nvidia 8800GTS. is not the graphics, is a memory leak or something like that according to people on the CA forums that knows more than I do. My problem of crashes when declaring war or when they decalre war on me is not isolated. Also most of the crases to desktop happend when you end a turn.
    icoangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By icoangel

Seems like people having trouble have somewhat older computers, sucks cus if you have a good pc it runs great, and is a great game.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By killdave

I've a great computer and it runs (Graphics) great for me. But crashes like a bitch.

Note - the game does not support quad core processors - the latest Nvidia patch causes problems - rollback

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kozzy1234
    velt said:
    "kozzy1234 said:
    "Ive played 20+ hours and not one freeze or crash. Im loving the game.I hope people having problems running the game get it worked out sson, as this is the best game in years imo.The 3 computers ive tried it on (mine and two friends), its worked great, although one of my other friends is having trouble playign it on his labtop (i told him it wouldnt work very well hehe).Im just glad i can play the game with no problems (other then the odd ai problem). Best game ive played in years to be honest.Thread starter.. what kind of computer/graphics card are you using?"
    Well Im using a nvidia 8800GTS. is not the graphics, is a memory leak or something like that according to people on the CA forums that knows more than I do. My problem of crashes when declaring war or when they decalre war on me is not isolated. Also most of the crases to desktop happend when you end a turn. "
    That sucks mate, like i said above, 23 hours into the game and ive not yet had ANY CRASHES or FREEZES. Hope you get yours working better man. Im just wondering why you would be having issues and not me, when we have the same graphics card i think. What are your other specs? It bothers me that ive had no crashes in 33 hours (tried 5 differnt countrys and gotten to turn 70 at least for them all), and yet you are having alot of problems, yet we both have the same graphics card.  Id try rollign back your graphics driver maybe? I rolled mine back twice, because CA didnt test the newest drivers with the game.

Please hit me up your other specs mate, ill try to help out if i can atall. Also what settings are you trying to play it at?

I recently got abck from my freinds place and his computer was giving him Blue Screen of death while playing Empire. SO i tested his ram and sure enough that was the problem. We spent 30$ to replace one of his sticks of ram and then the game wasnt crashing or giving him Blue Screens of death anymore (he didnt think it could be his memory as he just got his computer last year).   Maybe check your ram also?
    RJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By RJ

The game doesn't support quad core processors yet they have a Core i7 "Plays better" ad when you boot the game? Wow...does the game not utilize all cores or does it not run at all?

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gunner
    RJ said:
    "The game doesn't support quad core processors yet they have a Core i7 "Plays better" ad when you boot the game? Wow...does the game not utilize all cores or does it not run at all?"
    i7's are higher clocked than most of the core 2 duo's so they would actually run better than most dual cores.
    velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By velt
    kozzy1234 said:
    "velt said:
    "kozzy1234 said:
    Well Im using a nvidia 8800GTS. is not the graphics, is a memory leak or something like that according to people on the CA forums that knows more than I do. My problem of crashes when declaring war or when they decalre war on me is not isolated. Also most of the crases to desktop happend when you end a turn. "
    That sucks mate, like i said above, 23 hours into the game and ive not yet had ANY CRASHES or FREEZES. Hope you get yours working better man. Im just wondering why you would be having issues and not me, when we have the same graphics card i think. What are your other specs? It bothers me that ive had no crashes in 33 hours (tried 5 differnt countrys and gotten to turn 70 at least for them all), and yet you are having alot of problems, yet we both have the same graphics card.  Id try rollign back your graphics driver maybe? I rolled mine back twice, because CA didnt test the newest drivers with the game.Please hit me up your other specs mate, ill try to help out if i can atall. Also what settings are you trying to play it at?I recently got abck from my freinds place and his computer was giving him Blue Screen of death while playing Empire. SO i tested his ram and sure enough that was the problem. We spent 30$ to replace one of his sticks of ram and then the game wasnt crashing or giving him Blue Screens of death anymore (he didnt think it could be his memory as he just got his computer last year).   Maybe check your ram also?"
    What nvidia drivers you got?
    My specs are Core2Duo e6550, 2gb ram (kingston), nvidia 8800GTS running with 181.22
    I dont have a blue screen of death, but a crash to dektop only.
    Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
    lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

it's unplayable for me. it crashes after it runs about 10 minutes. i'll just wait for a patch.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gunner

It sucks so many people are missing out on such an awesome game. CA better get their act together or something because ive seen way too many issues for it to just be a fluke.

velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By velt
    Gunner said:
    "It sucks so many people are missing out on such an awesome game. CA better get their act together or something because ive seen way too many issues for it to just be a fluke. "
    They released a beta... sad.
    nordicavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By nordicavenger

Okay i am no experiencing or yet at least have not experienced any type of glitches which causes my windows to crash or the game at least but i have experienced a great loading lagg and i can hardly run the game in battles if it is a boat battle or if i have a decent amount of cannon and occasionally i do have lagg on the globe for the grand campaign.

velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By velt

Yesterday (25 of march), CA released a patch. Im playing a new campaign since I couldnt get through crashes to desktop on the last one. Still seems that the issues of crashes to dektop havent been resolved and that the patch doesnt address a lot of stability problems. Still a lot of complaining in the forums.

The way this game was released is a disgrace, all the people in QA they should fire them, and some developers too since is too buggy.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
    lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

Do you have a nvidia video card?

I think the problem is the nvidia drivers. It doesn't just crash when I play it, it makes me do a hard restart. Lots of people have this problem. I haven't eve gotten to play i yet :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.