Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Electronic Arts

Company »

EA is one of the largest publisher/developers in the video game industry.

EA will delete your games if Origin goes unused for 2 years.

• 90 results
    roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By roughneck117

Found this on Reddit. Hopefully this isnt true, but it looks pretty real, and if it is, its a fucking dick move of epic proportion.

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/#section5

"Entitlements may only be held in Accounts belonging to legal residents of countries where access to and use of Content and Entitlements is permitted. Entitlements may be purchased or acquired only from EA or an authorized retailer. EA reserves the right to refuse your request(s) to acquire Entitlements, and EA reserves the right to limit or block any request to acquire Entitlements for any reason. We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use. Once you have redeemed your Entitlements, that content is not returnable, exchangeable, or refundable for other Entitlements or for cash, or other goods or services."

So as I understand it, if you dont log into Origin for 2 years, the account gets deleted, and you cant get it back. Can anyone back me up or correct me if im wrong?? Anyone bitten by a radioactive lawyer recently??

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By GuyIncognito
    @roughneck117 said:

Found this on Reddit. Hopefully this isnt true, but it looks pretty real, and if it is, its a fucking dick move of epic proportion.

So as I understand it, if you dont log into Origin for 2 years, the account gets deleted, and you cant get it back. Can anyone back me up or correct me if im wrong?? Anyone bitten by a radioactive lawyer recently??

I'm not a lawyer, but if it's true, then the only suitable retaliation -- after having your content taken away -- is bittorrent.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By 234r2we232

This is very unlike EA. They are generally fair and helpfu... wait, that's not EA at all.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Surkov

It's like they want Origin to fail. I know 2 years a long time, but there is honestly no reason for them to delete your account. Server space is so cheap, it's not like it cost them anything to hold your account. 

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Akrid

I don't understand what they expect to gain from putting in that particular stipulation.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @GuyIncognito said:
    @roughneck117 said:

I'm not a lawyer, but if it's true, then the only suitable retaliation -- after having your content taken away -- is bittorrent.
    Yeah, I'd say in that given situation, it would be cool to use it.
    Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By Eribuster
    @Surkov said:
    It's like they want Origin to fail. I know 2 years a long time, but there is honestly no reason for them to delete your account. Server space is so cheap, it's not like it cost them anything to hold your account. 
    Yeah, maybe. I'd bet if we dig around the Steam Subscriber Agreement, we would find similar disagreeable terms. 

@Akrid said:
    I don't understand what they expect to gain from putting in that particular stipulation.
    Who knows. I assume it's so EA has an out from maintaining upkeep on an account that won't be used. Server space maybe cheap, but it isn't free.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By JoeyRavn

@GuyIncognito said:

@roughneck117 said:

People like you... Urgh, the nerve! There are better solutions than bittorrent, like direct downloads or usenet :P

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RsistncE

In before Origin Hammer Legion Members.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By GreggD

I just read through Valve's entire EULA for Steam, and there's nothing so aggregious. However, they do make plentiful mention of how much they own your games and your rights to play them. They can cancel your shit at any time, without warning, and tell you to fuck off.

VanTesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VanTesla

EA, proving to be the number 1 douchebags in the gaming industry.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

@GreggD said:

I just read through Valve's entire EULA for Steam, and there's nothing so aggregious. However, they do make plentiful mention of how much they own your games and your rights to play them. They can cancel your shit at any time, without warning, and tell you to fuck off.

They can, but they're not going to do that to the average customer for shits and giggles, either. Not unless they wanted to commit corporate suicide.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GreggD

@Hailinel said:

@GreggD said:

They can, but they're not going to do that to the average customer for shits and giggles, either. Not unless they wanted to commit corporate suicide.

I know, much like EA will probably not go through with a full cancellation of an Origin account, either.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SomeJerk

EA's recipe for digital distribution services:

1) New name

2) Do not learn from Steam or other digital distributors

3) Put our games up on the largest competitor at the last minute

4) Profit, eventually, surely

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Aronman789

2 years is a pretty long time, just sayin.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Subjugation

Two years is a pretty long time. However, that doesn't mean I agree with them citing it as a reason to cancel your account. Can someone point me to where we reached the conclusion that cancellation is the same as deletion though? Are we sure you can't just put your information back in and reactivate it later? And I'm assuming "entitlements" is their term for the ability to download and access your games?

How many situations are there where you will find yourself unable to log in to your account once over a two year period though? I'm guessing it's an extremely limited list. I don't know, I'm seeing valid points on both ends.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zeforgotten

So? Log in just one time during those two years and it'll be fine. *looks around' ... oh wait, sorry, I now realized how awfully hard that must be for some of the people around here.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By TheKing

@Aronman789 said:

But what if I'm in a 2 year coma and want to play some Dragon Age 2 when I wake up!?!?!??!!??!??!111

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @GuyIncognito said:
    @roughneck117 said:

BitTorent is so 2005.. uTorrent is the way to go
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Were anyone planning on using Origin anyway?

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Cwaff

@TheKing said:

@Aronman789 said:

But what if I'm in a 2 year coma and want to play some Dragon Age 2 when I wake up!?!?!??!!??!??!111

I was going to say something to this effect!

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Azteck
    @RsistncE said:
    In before Origin Hammer Legion Members.
    There are fanatic fans of Origin? Or rather.. there are fans of Origin?
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By napalm
    @ZeForgotten said:

So? Log in just one time during those two years and it'll be fine. *looks around' ... oh wait, sorry, I now realized how awfully hard that must be for some of the people around here.

Seriously guys, stop your fucking crying. If you don't log into Origin for two years, that's your own goddamn fault.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By beargirl1
    @ZeForgotten said:

thank you. if you're going to be using Origin, this shouldn't be so painfully difficult. 
    matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By matoya

What an incredibly sensasionalistic thread

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iam3green

well, that is dumb. if you troll their forums with an account, the account gets deleted. pretty stupid of EA to do these types of things. 

i don't understand why they don't put their games on steam. steam is where all of the games are at. EA just decides to release a new system for their games when people have steam for a lot longer.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By JJOR64

Thank god I don't plan on using Origin.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zeforgotten

@Napalm: @AjayRaz: Well, to be honest, we don't know if some people hurt their flimsy little fingers by clicking the Origin shortcut to launch it so we shouldn't be laughing at their ignorance just yet!

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By IceColdGamer

@VilhelmNielsen:

Win. Thread Closed.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By CrimsonNoir

there are games i haven't touched in over two years like the original BF2. what if i wanted to start playing that again and i hypothetically bought that on Origin, it's not like steam where i would log in everyday. i'm not going to remember to log in every two years for one specific game.

roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By roughneck117

@VilhelmNielsen: Honestly, I dont really have a problem with it. It was mostly about the inconvenience of having two different services to keep track of but since I can launch a non steam game from steam, its not that big of a deal to me. This however is.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By napalm
    @CrimsonNoir: BUT WHAT ABOUT IN MY HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO I HYPOTHETICALLY DID SOMETHING HYPOTHETICAL THAT HYPOTHETICALLY HAS NO HYPOTHETIC EFFECT ON ME. HYPOTHETICALLY.
    Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#33  Edited By Eribuster
    @VilhelmNielsen:  
    I kind of have to at this point. I bought Battlefield: Bad Company 2 over Electronic Arts Download Manager during a sale offer and the retail version of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (PC) and I tied them to EADM/Origin. From the wording of Terms of Service, this seems to count for your EA account (which is also your Origin account). So, I guess all you have to do is log in to the online features of an EA game and EA will know your account is still alive? That shouldn't be too hard. 

Still, I would prefer if there wasn't a time limit. There shouldn't be a time limit.
    DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DrMcKittrick

The first rule of usenet is nobody talks about usenet.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zeforgotten

@Napalm: I actually liked the hypothetical idea that someone had about someone waking up from a two year coma wanting to play Dragon Age II.. A person like that, in real life at least, deserves to be put back into that coma untill he/she learns how pathetic they just were. Nobody wants to play Dragon Age II after waking up after a coma. that's probably the thing that sent you into a coma to being with

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By napalm
    @ZeForgotten: Nobody should be playing Dragon Age II in any way.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zeforgotten

@Napalm: That's true actually. Not even the people we hate the most

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By valrog
    @TheKing said:

@Aronman789 said:

If Dragon Age II is the first game you want to play when you wake up you're better off staying in coma.
    Chriskje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Chriskje

All this says is that EA got the rights to cancel your origin account after 2 years of inactivity, just like steam got the right to cancel all your shit whenever for whatever reason. IT DOES NOT MEAN THEY WILL DO IT. Their just reserving the right to do it.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By daiphyer
    @valrog said:
    @TheKing said:

@Aronman789 said:

If Dragon Age II is the first game you want to play when you wake up you're better off staying in coma.
    Dammit, Ninja'd :( 

@TheKing: You would have a better time staying in coma.
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GreggD

@Chrisbbq said:

All this says is that EA got the rights to cancel your origin account after 2 years of inactivity, just like steam got the right to cancel all your shit whenever for whatever reason. IT DOES NOT MEAN THEY WILL DO IT. Their just reserving the right to do it.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYIN' TO TELL YA, GAWD! :|

Dry_Carton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dry_Carton
    @weeman105 said:

Two years is a pretty long time. However, that doesn't mean I agree with them citing it as a reason to cancel your account. Can someone point me to where we reached the conclusion that cancellation is the same as deletion though? Are we sure you can't just put your information back in and reactivate it later? And I'm assuming "entitlements" is their term for the ability to download and access your games?

How many situations are there where you will find yourself unable to log in to your account once over a two year period though? I'm guessing it's an extremely limited list. I don't know, I'm seeing valid points on both ends.

I've got plenty of games I haven't played for well over two years. I've even got games I haven't played for over ten years probably. I've got movies I haven't watched for years. I've got books I haven't read for years. Two years is nothing. 

And it means deletion. Your account will be obliterated. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to disable accounts for later reactivation as you're suggesting.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RsistncE

All the people screaming that this is in no way different from what Steam is doing are idiots: there's this thing called history and context, and if you actually go about looking at it you'll see the shenanigans EA pulled with it's download services in the past. I can see them setting all accounts to auto-delete at the 2 year period. EA just isn't a company I trust, they've done nothing to earn any goodwill among consumers.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iDarktread

That can't be true.

TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TanoPrime

haters be hatin on da EA, yo

Kontrapunkt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By Kontrapunkt

Well. I mean, you don't own steam games either. They are licensed to you.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Give me incentive to log into Origin.
    I still log into Bungie, Xbox and Steam everyday for example, always something to see and do, can't say the same for EA so far.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By buzz_killington

How dare they?? ARGGGHH

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By benjaebe
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Give me incentive to log into Origin. I still log into Bungie, Xbox and Steam everyday for example, always something to see and do, can't say the same for EA so far.
    If you buy your PC games on disc, like I did with the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series, you can get digital copies for free. Seems like a decent deal to me, at least if I need backups. They have some decent deals that happen every once in a while too.

I don't really care about Origin one way or another, but people seem really intent on spreading blatant hyperbole (i.e. anything that comes from the cesspit that is reddit's /r/gaming). I'm starting to tire of explaining that Origin isn't a Steam replacement, it's a rebranded EA download manager that doesn't even have to be open to run the games you buy from it.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I call bullshit. Mostly because I don't want it to be true...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.