Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Electronic Arts

Company »

EA is one of the largest publisher/developers in the video game industry.

EA Doing Away With Game Manuals

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#251  Edited By rjaylee
    @MordeaniisChaos: That's a great point I was just about to bring up as well.

I'd gladly trade that wasted space you've noted for elimination of the new eco-case format where the areas behind the disc are not protected at all.

I don't know the history behind it exactly, but I can't think of a good reason as to why the regular jewel case sizes for CD's didn't carry over when DVD cases were built. The only reason I can think of is that marketers wanted larger real estate for the slips of advertising or other associated things you find inside the DVD case itself, which is really a pretty terrible reason to increase the form factor for.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I think the last time I read a manual was about 4 years ago when I bought a game and went to Pizza hut for lunch, and had nothing to do for a minute or two so busted it open.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#253  Edited By Gabriel

If Capcom can afford to make a huge color manual (SSFIV) , EA can too.

JuggaloAcidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#254  Edited By JuggaloAcidman

I still use the manual on occassion but I prefer in game manuals. Especially when you can access them from a pause screen!

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#255  Edited By Gabriel
    @demontium said:
    " @SaltyPancakes said:
    " Yay, I always love getting less for the same price!  "
    Dude, seriously? who gives a shit. This is a good initiative - EA saves money and helps out the environment, and you can find everything the game manual had and more online.... so stop. "
    Keep sipping the Kool-Aid.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#256  Edited By 234r2we232

So if they're saving money by helping the environment, then they'll pass those savings on to us, the consumer, right?

I hate to be the one to say it but if this were Activision doing this, the Internet would be having a field day with "Bobby Kotick is the devil" rants. You guys are hypocrites. If this doesn't impact the price, then EA are worse than I thought :/

Maybe they should just stop releasing physical copies of games. Then they'd be reducing ca... wait, then they'd more than likely lose money at the sake of really helping the environment! D'oh! Silly notion is silly.

SneakyPenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#257  Edited By SneakyPenguins

I am surprised it took this long, still i am going to miss them. There were some awesome manuals back in the day

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By Aishan
    I do wonder how much value people actually put in the manuals of games. Do people really think they're worth $5? As long as they have a comprehensive digital version available -- be it online or on disc, I really don't see the issue. I can honestly say that no part of my purchasing decision for a game has ever been "I wonder what the manual is like," it's all about the game.

@sofacitysweetheart
    said:
    " So if they're saving money by helping the environment, then they'll pass those savings on to us, the consumer, right?  
    How much do you think those manuals actually cost to print? The physical cost of  the duplication is pennies, there is no saving to pass onto the consumer.

The biggest impact of this will be entirely internal: they don't have to devote a section of their budget towards paying copywriters, translators or printers. This money can either go elsewhere in the company, or just help lower costs overall from the massively ballooning budgets games have these days. It will help their profit margins, slightly, but companies exist to make as much profit as they, they have no obligation to pass any savings they make on their development process on to the consumer. In fact, one thing that's pretty interesting about games is the price hasn't really changed that much compared to inflation over the years, despite games getting more and more expensive to produce.

Sure, the cynic is me finds it laughable that they claim they're doing it entirely "for the environment," but less paper wasted on these flimsy 6-page "manuals" is still a good thing despite their motives for doing so.
    Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#259  Edited By Piranesi

For all but a rare few console games, I file the disc and chuck the rest. Now if they could get rid of the patronising tutorial sections (and the sickening product placement in EA titles).

Avatar image for zombiesatemycereal
    zombiesatemycereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed this with the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2, but then there was a paper ad for DA2, which seems to defeat the purpose. 

EXCellR8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#261  Edited By EXCellR8

why not just ship them in a clear jewel case with the title written in sharpie?

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By redwing42

Hate this... but more so for RPGs and such.  Sports games really only need a reference sheet anyway.  I always read a manual cover to cover before I play any game, and then again after playing the game for a couple hours to see if I have missed anything helpful.  I hope this isn't what every company does now.  I still love my Fallout 1 spiral bound notebook, and while that isn't practical for console games, there have been some great looking, useful manuals for games this generation that I would have missed.
    Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#263  Edited By Nux

Only losers read the manuals.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#264  Edited By LiquidPrince

I miss them already.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By redwing42

Vic Ireland (of Working Designs fame) would be spinning in his grave, if he were dead.
    SkinnyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#266  Edited By SkinnyBlue

Manuals used to be awesome back in the day, when there was actually some effort put into them to make them appealing. In recent years, though, they've all been a few pages long and have had no appeal or flare about them. And besides, does anyone really read manuals anyway? Good move by EA to do away with them.

skunkdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#267  Edited By skunkdragon

I must say when i opened my copy of FNC i was alittle pissed i had no manual, I like to read on the bog, maybe EA can lend me SOME OF THE FUCKING NOTES THEY'VE SAVED TO WIPE MY ASSHOOOOLE

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#268  Edited By melcene

Time to find new bathroom reading material.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.