Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Electronic Arts

Company »

EA is one of the largest publisher/developers in the video game industry.

EA Announces More Online Service Shutdowns

• 77 results
    cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By cgoodno
    @Bones8677 said:
    " Pay extra money to play on the servers that they'll eventually shut down. Great plan EA. >_> "
    None of these games involved the need to buy an online pass if you bought it used.  In addition, only people who buy used games from the last year would need to buy an online pass, not people who bought the game new.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Bones8677
    @cgoodno said:
    " @Bones8677 said:
    " Pay extra money to play on the servers that they'll eventually shut down. Great plan EA. >_> "
    None of these games involved the need to buy an online pass if you bought it used.  In addition, only people who buy used games from the last year would need to buy an online pass, not people who bought the game new. "
    I know it's for used games, and that these game servers do not have Project 10 Dollar in place. But I still wouldn't put it pass them that they will continue this practice of shutting down servers that used players have to pay to play on. Especially if they continue to move forward with Project 10 Dollar. 

Believe me they'll find any excuse to attach that to all of their future games. The President of EA said it himself that they are focusing on attaching online features to all of their games. Having such features means they can implement Project 10 dollar to all of them.
    cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By cgoodno
    @Bones8677 said:
    " @cgoodno said:
    " @Bones8677 said:
    None of these games involved the need to buy an online pass if you bought it used.  In addition, only people who buy used games from the last year would need to buy an online pass, not people who bought the game new. "
    I know it's for used games, and that these game servers do not have Project 10 Dollar in place. But I still wouldn't put it pass them that they will continue this practice of shutting down servers that used players have to pay to play on. Especially if they continue to move forward with Project 10 Dollar.   Believe me they'll find any excuse to attach that to all of their future games. The President of EA said it himself that they are focusing on attaching online features to all of their games. Having such features means they can implement Project 10 dollar to all of them. "
    You seem a bit jaded on the topic of EA, perhaps on other companies as well.  I'm just going to wait until they do something wrong before I complain about it, or act like it's what they are doing in the first place.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Bones8677

, @cgoodno said:

" @Bones8677 said:
    " @cgoodno said:
    " @Bones8677 said:
    I know it's for used games, and that these game servers do not have Project 10 Dollar in place. But I still wouldn't put it pass them that they will continue this practice of shutting down servers that used players have to pay to play on. Especially if they continue to move forward with Project 10 Dollar.   Believe me they'll find any excuse to attach that to all of their future games. The President of EA said it himself that they are focusing on attaching online features to all of their games. Having such features means they can implement Project 10 dollar to all of them. "
    You seem a bit jaded on the topic of EA, perhaps on other companies as well.  I'm just going to wait until they do something wrong before I complain about it, or act like it's what they are doing in the first place. "
    I'm jaded about Project 10 Dollar, not EA.
    jstaunton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By jstaunton  Online
    @GeekDown said:
    " Why do they even bother putting multiplayer in so many games? Seems pointless, but I guess this is just another reason why you should never buy sports games. "
    Yeah, offline multiplayer in sports games sucks balls...
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By Dany

why does EA bother having their own online system for games? Just leave it to Microsoft to handle it

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Battle for Middle Earth was amazing. I still occasionally pick it up and play it. 

Sad to see the servers shut down...

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Maybe it's part of their strategy of keeping everyone up to date with their newest versions of the game.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By hockeymask27

Well I was never going to get that top 50 NHL 08 thing anyways

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#60  Edited By LordAndrew
    @erstgr: Welcome back. I was worried you had died. No wait. I dont' think "worried" was the right word. I hoped everyone who created you and approved your use died a horrible, horrible death.

Yeah, that's it. Hoping, not worrying.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By LordAndrew
    @cgoodno said:
    " I hope people understand that these closures represent approximately 1% of the current online peek gamers on their servers... "
    That won't console those who happen to be among the 1%, or might be among the 1% in the future.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#62  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Battle for Middle Earth and sequel are the only titles that catch my eye. From what I remember, both were fairly well made RTS games.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#63  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

So, the old sports games?
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By LordAndrew

How many more months do you figure they'll wait before shutting down the online multiplayer in the PS2 version of Madden 11? We're at five months now.

Kayrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Kayrack
    @LordAndrew:  Probably not long, they are almost getting to the point where as each new one comes out the old one is shutdown.  I am not a fan of this and really hope they dont start killing some of the other EA titles as I still enjoy picking those up from time to time. I hope they keep them up for a while but things dont look promising.
    KeepThisKoupon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By KeepThisKoupon

NOT FIFA 07!!!

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By DevWil

getting upset about this is crazy. 

anybody who likes a sports game enough to play it online will have a version of it that isn't three years old.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#68  Edited By jonnyboy

So I guess February 8th will be the last time you gets to see anyone in an England shirt play in the 2008 European Cup, because I sure as fuck don't remember it happening that summer, useless dickheads.

Sometimes I wish we could just send out the virtual squad.

Adaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#69  Edited By Adaptor

Imagine EA paying for a guy that reboots a couple of servers once in a while for a couple of years. Must be a huge expense for them...  If they would just come out and say that they want you to buy the newest version of their sports games at least it would be honest. 

09 and 10 versions of games, really?

mattymattmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71  Edited By mattymattmatt

Seems like the normal business decision to me.  I can certainly understand why people would be upset if their game is being shut down, but in the greater picture, these games don't really represent all that much.  If it's an operating loss for the business, then it only makes sense for EA to shut them down.  

perfectlyretro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By perfectlyretro

EA might find it surprising for me to rob them of my money. 

No thanks EA. Good luck though.

WrathOfBanja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By WrathOfBanja

But Round 3 was the good one.... 
    Hate you EA.

@Rayfield said:

" YO YOU LIKE DEM ONLINE SPORTS GAMES WE MAKE? WELL PONY UP FOR THE NEW ONE COZ WE JUST BROKE DA ONE YOU GOT YEEEAAHH "

I lol'd
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74  Edited By FireBurger

That's such bullshit. Shutting down servers for an '09 game is inexcusable. Two years? 

That's like if IW shut down COD4 servers when MW2 launched. No one would stand for it. I don't play any of these games, but that's fucking garbage.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#75  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I only bought a copy of Battle for Middle Earth to occasionally pop it in and play with a buddy. 

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#76  Edited By damnboyadvance

"EA notes specifically that the EA Sports games scheduled for shutdown represent around a mere 1% of activity across all EA titles."

Of course they would say that. I highly doubt that the actual percentage is that low.

Bullshit. I'm writing a well thought out letter to EA, possibly with attached sexually suggestive stick people.

Enigma_2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Enigma_2099

Yeah... online play is the future of gaming... just as long as you keep paying for the newest releases. And if you don't, we'll just bash you in the kneecaps...

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#78  Edited By KaosAngel

...this wouldn't have happened on PC.

BoomWav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By BoomWav

This screenshot of BFME looks really good!

ironapollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ironapollo

hmmmm

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.