Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dying Light

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 27, 2015

Dying Light is a first-person, open world game set in a zombie apocalypse. The player character is able to free-run to get around the environment quickly.

PC Performance Thread

• 58 results
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By mike

@colourful_hippie said:

@mb said:

@johncallahan: I've got the exact opposite thing going on...yesterday the game ran like garbage, today I'm at a locked 60 all the time. No changes made since last night.

What's your CPU? The game is getting bottlenecked more than it should by what CPU you have. I have an i7 4770k with a 980 and I'm getting mostly the high 50's with the big slowdowns going down to 45 at times. Only setting I dropped was the draw distance. I haven't had the crazy framedrops to zero yet like some people have mentioned but the cutscenes could seriously be fixed up a good bit. They look like a screen tearing mess

I'm using a 4790k right now. Up until earlier this afternoon I was running it at stock clocks because I was having a problem with Warframe crashing, but I bumped it back up to 4.6ghz and am now enjoying a near constant 60 fps. At the most I now see occasional dips down into the mid 50s. I've never seen an overclock make such a big difference in a game before, thank you Noctua.

It's hard to quantify how much of an improvement I saw with the overclock as far as percentages go, but it was significant.

Here's a CPU activity and temperature graph while I was playing Dying Light and streaming a movie from Plex to another device. This is...not good. Green is utilization - the spikes are when the Plex transcoder is working on a chunk of the movie.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By colourful_hippie

@mb: That's crazy. I'm going to OC mine then so I can maintain 60 until Techland hopefully fixes this mess. The game is ridiculously over dependent on the CPU, specifically 1 core, instead of the GPU because I boosted the resolution up to 1440 and I still get the same exact FPS range.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By colourful_hippie

For those who are still having issues I suggest trying out the game now that a patch came out. I don't think I need to OC my CPU now that the game is running at a more consistent 60 fps. AMD CPU's apparently continue to have issues though

wrenchsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Game worked stellar for two hours and then it crashed to desktop. Unfortunately, when I tried to play it this morning it would crash just after the title screen. After the 10th attempt (both windowed and full screen) I opted to delete local data and redownload. With fresh data I was able to get past the title screen and access the main menu. Unfortunately, game crashes when I try to continue story. I really don't want to replay the tutorial... so, fuck this game for now.

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
    reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing alternately on my desktop (high-end quad-core i7, GTX 460) and my laptop (low-end two-core i7, AMD R9 M275X), both are running fine. Desktop stays around 60 frames at medium settings, laptop stays around 30 at low settings, although it'll jump up to 60 in some areas. Have run into some jank where I've ended up climbing through ceilings and popped outside the map once or twice, but other than that, stuff ain't so bad.

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By flakmunkey

I have a Lenovo Y-50 with Core i7-4700HQ, 16GB DDR3, and 2GB Geforce 860 m. With the Settings below I get 30-35 with a very rare dip to 28 for a frame or 2 (like very rare) and if I drop it to 720 is a solid 60 FPS but I feel like 30 is totally fine for this game.

Resolution: 1920x1080

AO: On

Foliage: Med

Nvidia DoF: Off (will probably try turning this back on since ive read it doesn't effect much performance on more modern Nvidia cards)

Nvidia HBAO+: On

Shadow Map Size: Low

Textures: High

View Distance: like 2 or 3 pips above lowest

For some reason my card wont let me do any resolution other then 720 or 1080 in fullscreen, everything else has borders and my nvidia control panel doesn't have display scaling option since apparently the intel card handles that part. If anyone has a suggestion about that it's be appreciated.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since the patch everything seems fine. No more audio issues, game runs a little better (turning off the grain and lowering view distance helps a lot), pretty darn enjoyable and a better experience than Dead Island for sure. AMD wise got no idea though...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ripelivejam

@karkarov: my amd started choking when i finally went outside. Weird cause i havent heard this issue with other games really. I know single thread performance is lower with AMD but i didn't think it was significant. Might try OC'ing finally.

E: fx8350 btw

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even with the latest patch and most things turned down I get framerate issues and crashes saying my system memory is running low.

I'm running a 770GTX-4GB with 8 GB of RAM.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.