Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dying Light

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 27, 2015

Dying Light is a first-person, open world game set in a zombie apocalypse. The player character is able to free-run to get around the environment quickly.

I think Dying Light is pretty rad.

Avatar image for kavodthemelodic
    KavodTheMelodic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KavodTheMelodic

In a year full of really good open world games, I can understand how people would pass up an open world "zombie" game of all things. But, I've put over 50 hours into the game over the past week (got it on steam sale) and I've thoroughly enjoyed my time. It's been the right amount of challenging, but I've never felt like a death was because the game "cheated" me. It's also one of the few games with a "true" night time instead of just a blue filter, cuz you really can't see shit without a source of light.

It's stressful in an awesome way, the way I felt when I first got hooked on Demon Souls. The parkour takes what mirrors edge did and puts it into a game that isn't just about parkour, and it actually works really well.

I also enjoyed the combat, especially early on when every zombie is a threat and you have to try to use your, environment to help you kill them. It also boasts a pretty fun co-op system, in which the higher tier zombies actually use different moves (for example, melee only zombies I've seen start to use a ranged acid attack ) instead of just getting number tuning like most games boasting coop (like borderlands).

The game also has a lot of varied, well put together side quests that really push that "everybody has a story" angle you get after seeing a city that feels very lived in and looting so many abandoned houses. The game also boasts colored loot a la Diablo as well as a robust crafting system that very much encourages you to scavenge. I've been in many situations where I had just enough junk to make a bomb to kill the zombies I needed to kill fast enough to make it to a safe house before night fall.

I feel it is by far the best "zombie game" I have ever played, but also a very good open world game in its own right. I believe it's still on sale for a couple days, I highly recommend it, and I'm bummed nobody else on staff really seemed to get into it besides Brad.

That's not to say its perfect. It has fallout's lockpicking, but harder. There is no option to preview a skill before using, which sucks because some of the skills are bad or are overshadowed by other skills completely, while other skills are game changing and should be tagged "recommended" as such.

It definitely offers more than I was expecting, though. Tech land deserves some love for this one.

P.S. Also there's a super Mario 1-1 level just...hidden in the game world that gives you a shitty tanuki suit. But hey, it's there.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an underrated game, if only because of how over-saturated the gaming market is in regards to zombie games.
    The best way I would describe it is 'solidly designed'. It's obvious that the developers have played similar games (along with learning from Dead Island) and from that learnt what makes a good open-world game and what can make a bad open-world game.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the demo on ps4 and enjoyed it but got massively dizzy. Havent gotten like that since ps1 days.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By handlas

Some might say its the 2nd best game this year ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.