Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

PR Firm Threatens Publications (Then Apologizes) Over Duke Nukem Review Scores

• 157 results
    Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Dookysharpgun

To be honest, I think everyone and anyone involved in this situation is in the wrong. Yes, the opinion surrounding reviews of Duke Nukem are overwhelmingly negative, and there are quite a few legitimate reviews out there that outline exactly what flaws are in the game. Then there are legions of overly-privileged individuals, who, much like Redner, shoot their mouths off out of a purely emotional response to being let down by a game that took 12 years to develop, suffered numerous setbacks, and changed hands more often than dirty money. I think it can be hard for people to fathom that DNF was supposed to be released before, or just a little after, the turn of the millennium, and tastes have changed. The main problem I see people having with this game is the use of jokes that Duke uses, and the overall machismo involved in the game itself. They forget that its a really, really old concept, and had it got the care all games deserve, we wouldn't be in this situation right now. 

I'm not saying that reviewers are wrong, I think everyone has a right to say what they want, and rip a new asshole in any game that they think truly deserves it. But it really has to be done in context to the games background and original setting. Duke is a freaking old game, and people expected way too much out of a game that is basically a parody of itself. It's a dated game, but can anyone really blame it? I'm not disagreeing that the game doesn't deserve bad scores either, if it isn't worth the money you pay for it, then you have every right to think its crap.

Granted I don't back the dumbass decision to tweet his mood swings, but I can understand what he was saying. Some games deserve a good, old fashioned slamming: Two Worlds, Mindjack, FFXIII, DA2, off the top of my head would deserve nothing but shit from what they brought to the table, in recent years, when the technology and expectations of games are at an all time high. Now look at DNF...it was created years before we had these advances, and left to collect dust, only to have modern ideas grafted to it like a grotesque array of alien limbs, and instead of pitying the poor bastard, we're beating it with sticks, we aren't trying to save it, we aren't letting it die. Everything about this situation just screams 'wrong' to me, it makes me uncomfortable to think that games that are stale and repetitive get great scores because they have a brand established on them, which people flock to, but as soon as a game that has had a shitty life story gets released, oh dear god, we have to kill it with fire, we have to fire people who get angry because of an unending stream of harsh and unfair expectations towards a game that we should be thankful for coming out at all, at least, in the view of the developers.

This makes me uncomfortable, because this is the route gaming is taking. We give generic FPS' *cough* Call of Duty *cough* 5 star, 10/10 ratings, but are they really any different to Duke Nukem? Aren't they just as stale and dated in ideas, moreso of a punishable offense as they've had a shorter run, and dev cycles than DNF? I think a lot of people have a severe double standard, and, although DNF may not have been the best of games out there, I still think that in the grand scheme of things, it may be held up against many of today's games, and shed just a little light on their production value, showing us just how eerily they really are. That's what I'm hoping anyway. We might get a damn gaming Renaissance after that. Or so says my wishful thinking.

Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152  Edited By Amducious

Sounds like Mr Redner needs a way to cheer himself up...perhaps he could fire up Duke Nukem Forever and throw some poo around!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By Ravenlight

Last sentence of the update is why I will continue using Giant Bomb as a paid member.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#154  Edited By CastroCasper

Who would have thought this was a good idea?

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#155  Edited By MeatSim

PR guy losing his cool. That doesn't happen publicly often.

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#156  Edited By greennoodles

@habibyjohnson said:

Well I for one agree with this guy. The review on this website and others, did seem to be unnecessarily harsh. The game certainly isn't perfect, but it also wasn't terrible. I really think the reviews are overly negative and overly nitpicky about stupid things. Such as complaining about the typical Duke humor being too over-the-top, well what the hell did you expect, and since when did you become so sophisticated. Complaining about lack of originality, when this kind of complaint goes unheard in reviews of Call Of Duty and other tired FPS's. And complaining about overstated graphical issues. Sure load times are horrendous (that is really its biggest flaw) and there a few frame-rate problems, but besides that it actually looks very nice. Not really sure why that overly negative attitude exists. I think if it wasn't called "Duke Nukem Forever" it would have gotten far more positive reviews.

If it wasn't called Duke Nukem Forever it would have been Matt Hazard, except not a parody of itself, and that game got poor reviews as well.

hbi2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By hbi2k

If there's someone I feel sorry for in all this, it's everyone who works at the Redner Group besides the one person who made the ill-advised tweet. Sucks for them to lose out on what's probably a very lucrative client just because one idiot shot his mouth off.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By cooljammer00

You guys should have a ticker or something on the front page when you don't get a review copy early. Not that it's shameful...but yes, use it to shame people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.