Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

Multiple Duke Nukem Forever titles already made?

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

After finishing Duke Nukem Forever tonight and watching the extras videos, I noticed that every 2-3 years it seems like they completely remade the entire game, the premises changed and so did almost all the material they were showcasing. My question is, do you think there are nearly-completed projects out there under the name Duke Nukem Forever that they simply refused to ship and instead kept iterating until we got to where we are today? I'm curious to see what the community thinks of the prospect of a 10-dollar "Duke Nukem Forever: Collection" of old games being a possibility. It would be like a history lesson into how not to develop video games.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Slaker117

Probably? We know they changed direction and game engines several times over the course of development, so there kind of has to be. I mean, they wouldn't just delete all those assets, would they?

Also, a collection like the one you proposed would be the only way to get me interested in actually playing the game.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

13 years, there better be more than one game.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By briangodsoe

I want them to release DNF '01 to see how it ended up. The trailer still looks awesome.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By The_Nubster
    @briangodsoe said:
    I want them to release DNF '01 to see how it ended up. The trailer still looks awesome.
    Just watched the trailer. Wow. I'm pretty sad now. Not only was DNF not a good game, they scrapped an awesome one to get to it. ):
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SomeDeliCook

There were no DNF games made before the one that came out. There were prototypes and versions of a game they were trying to make. If they had a game, they would've released it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Hizang

Multiple Duke Nukem games is like a Multiple orgasm, am I right?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Hizang said:

Multiple Duke Nukem games is like a Multiple orgasm, am I right?

They take forever and some might not be real?

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

@SomeDeliCook said:

There were no DNF games made before the one that came out. There were prototypes and versions of a game they were trying to make. If they had a game, they would've released it.

From what I understand from reading over the years, they actually re-wrote the game twice. So there could be as many as two titles with a significant amount of completion. Not all game companies operate with good management, it's important to understand that even if they had three near-complete projects, they might've been shelved for no good reason than "we can do it better".

Edit: By re-wrote I am referring to asset generation and not just code-base.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@UnlivedPhalanx said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

From what I understand from reading over the years, they actually re-wrote the game twice. So there could be as many as two titles with a significant amount of completion. Not all game companies operate with good management, it's important to understand that even if they had three near-complete projects, they might've been shelved for no good reason than "we can do it better".

From what I read (and what might not even be true), some of the old staff said there was no direction. They would have certain features complete, but then they would get newer and more ambitious ones to work on. And when they did those, even newer and bigger ones. There was no "This is what we are working toward" or something that ever looked like a playable game, it was just "add as much as you can, its expected from the audience."

Then again, other staff members have said the complete opposite over the years. It seems we will never know the whole true story anytime soon. One things for sure, the game that came out is definitely not what they had envisioned. It was more or less what they could actually release given the circumstances of what happened in 2009.

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

@SomeDeliCook said:

@UnlivedPhalanx said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

From what I read (and what might not even be true), some of the old staff said there was no direction. They would have certain features complete, but then they would get newer and more ambitious ones to work on. And when they did those, even newer and bigger ones. There was no "This is what we are working toward" or something that ever looked like a playable game, it was just "add as much as you can, its expected from the audience."

Then again, other staff members have said the complete opposite over the years. It seems we will never know the whole true story anytime soon. One things for sure, the game that came out is definitely not what they had envisioned. It was more or less what they could actually release given the circumstances of what happened in 2009.

The whole damn thing is bizarre.

I really really would love to see a documentary (a detailed one) about what in the jesus fuck happened over those 14 years that led us to this.

Edit: Like "Fistful of Quarters" style.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would've been sick if they had playable demos for those versions in the final DNF.

Finalwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Finalwish

I want the first DNF and Prey released, both looked amazing.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By MistaSparkle

DNF 2001 looks phenomenal. If that were released back then and I played it, it seems like it would be one of the most memorable games ever. For being a good game, that is. Not like how DNF 2011 was memorable in less great ways. 

Also just a weird thing I noticed. The "stepping on things" animation looks WAAAYYY better in the 2001 game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.