Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Crown

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jul 25, 2013

From Vanillaware Ltd., developers of Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown is a fantasy themed co-op beat-'em-up.

Dragon's Crown Q&A / AMA Forum

raycarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 1

I've just finished Dragon's Crown on the PS3 after about 20 hours, and I am posting this forum to answer some questions from guys who are either interested in buying the game or are still in the normal campaign. That being said, there are most definitely guys who are better at this game than I am, and guys like that can certainly chip into this post and provide their perspectives.

A summary of where I stand. I am starting out on the "hard mode" of the game, the second highest difficulty level for Dragon's Crown outside of Inferno difficulty. I played the Sorceress [yep, that Sorceress] with the following [weird, harder-than-it-needs-to-be] conditions:

1. No health potions, although I generated food via spell to compensate. Despite that perk, though, food takes longer to use, so I needed to be careful about my positioning before chowing down grub and regenerating HP.

2. No friendly AI characters until the final boss [which is ridiculously hard], so that means 99% of the time the enemies are geared towards me. Even then I managed to fight off a lot of enemies without taking an excessive amount of damage, so there's that.

3. Managed to beat all the stages [final boss included] without losing 1 Life. Although that achievement came off all tons of trial-and-error and help from AI bots in the final boss, as mentioned.

So I have some know-how and understanding as to how the game works and I want to share my experience with the game, both here and in a future review I am working on. That being said I am still learning the other characters and I'll update this post to track my growing understanding of the characters and the various skill trees and what not.

Ask away!

Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

so you played a support based class through the whole game on the second hardest difficulty without companions or using potions and didn't die a single time- on your first playthrough... If you say so, lol.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You understand the requirements of the quest Master´s last dance?(or something along those lines) I dont know which ghost is the one I should go around and "dance".... also where the heck is the sea serpent in the Pirate stage? I havent found it ... yep those are the 2 quest I haven´t finished

raycarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By raycarter

@istealdreams: I probably need to make some clarifications:

- The things I have said I have done are all done in the normal difficulty, which is the first playthrough. [ I am starting out on the "hard mode" of the game ] implies a second playthrough. Right now I have beaten the first boss in hard mode under the same conditions (small steps first), but it'll take way more leveling and learning to replicate that kind of feat in hard mode.

- I did have friendly AI helping me, but only for one stage. [ No friendly AI characters until the final boss ]

- I did die. A lot [that achievement came off all tons of trial-and-error (sic)]. But thanks to the process I did manage to go through each stage without getting the HP bar to zero.

- I probably implied that the stages are in sequence, which isn't the case. Once you beat a stage you get back to the hub world. That being said, with the knowledge gained from the trial-and-error process I think such a run through multiple stages is not out of the question. It is an option made possible midway from the first playthrough, where the game drops you at random dungeons, and you have the option to continue entering dungeons or returning to the hub world. The only problem I can foresee is that the items can break after many uses, which greatly reduces their effectiveness.

- Though the sorceress is a support-class, as you've noted, in reality she can handle herself quite well. There's the spell to generate food, as I've mentioned, that can keep hit points high. But she also has a dodge/teleport that can make for a great escape tool. Most importantly, with an ice staff, she can spam whirlwinds through the Up+Circle command.

The whirlwinds do moderate damage because they deliver a lot of hits. But the most important thing about them is that for their duration [4 seconds] they can crowd-control a large percentage of normal enemies the game throws at you. This ability gives the sorceress a window to either continue spamming whirlwinds or back off, recharge her mana by holding down square and then continue the fight.

In short, if you dodge well, invest points in the "Create food" spell, and take advantage of the ice staff's Up+Circle, then yeah. At least in the normal difficulty stages it is very possible to defeat both normal minions and bosses without sustaining too much damage.

- What makes the game easier too is that characters level up, which adds on HP and damage output, even though there is a level cap for all difficulties.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You understand the requirements of the quest Master´s last dance?(or something along those lines) I dont know which ghost is the one I should go around and "dance".... also where the heck is the sea serpent in the Pirate stage? I havent found it ... yep those are the 2 quest I haven´t finished

During the Dragon's Crown QL, when they finally get into a game with the Japanese players, you'll notice that on one of the stages, they were just circling around it counterclockwise over and over again. That was the trigger point for it.

Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Istealdreams

@istealdreams: I probably need to make some clarifications:

- The things I have said I have done are all done in the normal difficulty, which is the first playthrough. [ I am starting out on the "hard mode" of the game ] implies a second playthrough. Right now I have beaten the first boss in hard mode under the same conditions (small steps first), but it'll take way more leveling and learning to replicate that kind of feat in hard mode.

- I did have friendly AI helping me, but only for one stage. [ No friendly AI characters until the final boss ]

- I did die. A lot [that achievement came off all tons of trial-and-error (sic)]. But thanks to the process I did manage to go through each stage without getting the HP bar to zero.

- I probably implied that the stages are in sequence, which isn't the case. Once you beat a stage you get back to the hub world. That being said, with the knowledge gained from the trial-and-error process I think such a run through multiple stages is not out of the question. It is an option made possible midway from the first playthrough, where the game drops you at random dungeons, and you have the option to continue entering dungeons or returning to the hub world. The only problem I can foresee is that the items can break after many uses, which greatly reduces their effectiveness.

- Though the sorceress is a support-class, as you've noted, in reality she can handle herself quite well. There's the spell to generate food, as I've mentioned, that can keep hit points high. But she also has a dodge/teleport that can make for a great escape tool. Most importantly, with an ice staff, she can spam whirlwinds through the Up+Circle command.

The whirlwinds do moderate damage because they deliver a lot of hits. But the most important thing about them is that for their duration [4 seconds] they can crowd-control a large percentage of normal enemies the game throws at you. This ability gives the sorceress a window to either continue spamming whirlwinds or back off, recharge her mana by holding down square and then continue the fight.

In short, if you dodge well, invest points in the "Create food" spell, and take advantage of the ice staff's Up+Circle, then yeah. At least in the normal difficulty stages it is very possible to defeat both normal minions and bosses without sustaining too much damage.

- What makes the game easier too is that characters level up, which adds on HP and damage output, even though there is a level cap for all difficulties.

Ok, that is more reasonable, lol. Thanks for the clarification.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.