Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jul 29, 2017

The eleventh main entry in the long-running RPG series returns to its pre-MMO roots.

What to expect from the next Dragon Quest?

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

It's been confirmed recently the Dragon Quest XI was in the works (also Dragon Quest: Heroes).

So what platform are you guys expecting it to come? Yuji Horii already said it won't be on a handheld. Logical option would be WiiU I guess.

I'm expecting it to not stray too far from the art style of Dragon Quest X (much like VIII). I believe they will keep some online functionality, maybe like IX with co-op downloadable content etc. but will mainly be a traditional single player game. Hopefully they will keep working on the combat system. The Dragon Quest X is pretty decent.

A more interesting skill system would be great too. Anything that makes it a bit fast paced without losing its appeal would be a winner to be. Nothing too complicated, it's always been a pick up and play series and it's important to keep it that way.

Funny how the series was known for bringing new ideas to gaming but is today ironically considered very traditional. With some lucky they will try something new without going too far.

The worrying thing is: square's mostly been a disappointment the last few years so it's hard to predict the quality. It's hard to mess up with Dragon Quest though. Bring Level-5 again and I won't worry about a thing. Especially know with the experience of 2 Youkai Watch games they could surely do something great with the monsters.

Any expectations?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

All I hope is it comes to the US.

And brings with it Dragon Quest Vii

I'll take what I can get.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@slag: I think they will bring Dragon Quest VII to iOS/Android too eventually if that counts. They said about something about bringing all Dragon Quests to mobile sometime ago. So there's some hope i guess for those who haven't played. If it's the same as the 3DS I don't know though. That game's too text-heavy and that something they've mentioned as a big obstable a few times. The 3DS version is great. It's a shame they didn't release outside Japan.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Well, I haven't played a Dragon Quest since VIII, but my expectations are that it won't be as good as VIII. Actually strike that, I don't expect it to not be as good, it's a fact that it won't be as good. Nothing can be as good as VIII. It's as close to a perfect game as you will ever get.

I would give them all my monies if they just went and remade a PS4 version of VIII.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Hunter5024

Its nice to hear that it probably won't be a handheld game. They were speculating on 8-4 just last week that it would be a 3ds game because its a longstanding tradition to release DQ on the platform where the most people can play it. Honestly I don't expect much. I just hope it's a beautiful game with memorable characters that keeps its RPG elements intact. It seems like every RPG battle system for an entire generation has been some overly complicated, free movement, AI dependent, pseudo real-time clusterfuck.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Its nice to hear that it probably won't be a handheld game. They were speculating on 8-4 just last week that it would be a 3ds game because its a longstanding tradition to release DQ on the platform where the most people can play it. Honestly I don't expect much. I just hope it's a beautiful game with memorable characters that keeps its RPG elements intact. It seems like every RPG battle system for an entire generation has been some overly complicated, free movement, AI dependent, pseudo real-time clusterfuck.

Every non-MMO Dragon Quest game has retained the same battle system since the original. I doubt that you have much to worry about on that front, though I don't agree with your general assessment on the genre..

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

Every non-MMO Dragon Quest game has retained the same battle system since the original. I doubt that you have much to worry about on that front, though I don't agree with your general assessment on the genre..

I mean I could name like 5 examples if you want. The reason I worry that it would happen to Dragon Quest now is because they basically skipped the generation where it came in vogue, having released their last proper game on DS where that kind of combat probably wouldn't have been possible.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

I mean I could name like 5 examples if you want. The reason I worry that it would happen to Dragon Quest now is because they basically skipped the generation where it came in vogue, having released their last proper game on DS where that kind of combat probably wouldn't have been possible.

No, that combat would have been possible on DS. But even so, Dragon Quest is very steadfast in its traditions. So much so that when there was apparent interest in changing the battle system up for Dragon Quest IX, fan backlash in Japan made them reconsider. That being said, I still don't agree with your assessment on the genre.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I bet the game has slimes in it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hunter5024

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

No, that combat would have been possible on DS. But even so, Dragon Quest is very steadfast in its traditions. So much so that when there was apparent interest in changing the battle system up for Dragon Quest IX, fan backlash in Japan made them reconsider. That being said, I still don't agree with your assessment on the genre.

I suppose I should've put it a little nicer, but Final Fantasy, Ni No Kuni, The Tales series, Star Ocean, White Knight Chronicles, Infinite Undiscovery, and Xenoblade Chronicles all used free movement systems, with AI controlled party members, and at least semi real time combat. Unless I count strategy games, I can only think of a couple console JRPG's that used turn based combat last generation (Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey). While I'm sure there must be a few turn based games I missed, the games in the previous list comprise a significant portion of the console JRPG's from this generation.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

I suppose I should've put it a little nicer, but Final Fantasy, Ni No Kuni, The Tales series, Star Ocean, White Knight Chronicles, Infinite Undiscovery, and Xenoblade Chronicles all used free movement systems, with AI controlled party members, and at least semi real time combat. Unless I count strategy games, I can only think of a couple console JRPG's that used turn based combat last generation (Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey). While I'm sure there must be a few turn based games I missed, the games in the previous list comprise a significant portion of the console JRPG's from this generation.

Well, Star Ocean and the Tales series have been like that for a long while now. I don't really see how any of those games are really a clusterfuck, though. Sure, not every game had a combat system that was of high quality, but some of those games also feature some of the best combat systems of the past couple of generations. Xenoblade Chronicles, in particular and Final Fantasy XII (and XIII, though free-roaming isn't an option in that game's combat and it uses ATB). Even among turn-based games, Persona 3 and 4 experimented with AI partners in a party set-up.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Steadying

Really happy to hear it won't be on handhelds.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ThunderSlash

More slimes. More farming for metal slimes. More characters that look like Dragon Ball characters.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

District D is sure to be slime infested.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Yeah, I should've phrased it less inflammatory, because some of them do play pretty well (I wouldn't count FF12 among them, but that's no argument we need to get into). It's not that the ideas are necessarily flawed its that it became too common. It's okay for a few series to follow that style (Tales, Star Ocean), but its sooo not the direction I want to see the genre as a whole move in. Bravely Default is one example of a game that proves we can still add interesting twists to turn based combat, and I hope people see that, because games like that were rare this generation.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@edsone said:

@slag: I think they will bring Dragon Quest VII to iOS/Android too eventually if that counts. They said about something about bringing all Dragon Quests to mobile sometime ago. So there's some hope i guess for those who haven't played. If it's the same as the 3DS I don't know though. That game's too text-heavy and that something they've mentioned as a big obstable a few times. The 3DS version is great. It's a shame they didn't release outside Japan.

That's better than nothing I suppose. I'd really rather play it without touch controls though, or forking over ungodly $$$ to get the Ps1 version somewhere.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Things I learned from this thread: there's a Dragon's Quest X! I honestly had no idea. Though I guess that's because it's an MMO that never made it out of Japan.

DQ VIII is up there with my favorite JRPGs ever. I'd love to see another single-player, console based, traditional DQ game. Just not on WiiU! It's bad enough the new Xenowhatever game is only on Nintendo's bloody region locked box as it is!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.