Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Will we see a sequel to this game? What would you like to see in it?

• 64 results
    Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Ezekiel

@artisanbreads said:

@ezekiel: lol it isn't dubstep dude. You don't have to be an expert to figure that out.

I already conceded that.

But if you, the expert on dubstep, says it isn't that, then who am I to argue?

It reminds me of dubstep. Whatever it is, I don't like it, and I'm honestly surprised it's so highly regarded.

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dussck: Scroll up and see my post!

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

of course there should be a sequel and there probably will be one in a year or two.

add 1 new gun, 5 new enemies, more metal and set it on earth, call it doom 2: hell on earth. done.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: Just curious, did you only go through the game once? It could be like me and not appreciating what it does the first time due to how you experience the game, but coming around to it the second time. No, it's not a soundtrack that I believe deserves the best award for a soundtrack of last year merely because it's not a soundtrack I want to listen to much outside of the game, and that's a big con for me, but for one that really fits what's going on in the game, it exceeds at doing its job. The gameplay and the soundtrack go hand-in-hand, which is also probably why it's hard to separate it into its own thing to listen to for me. I think if they tried to add some kind of soundtrack like... say, Halo, it wouldn't really work. The tone of the game doesn't suit that kind of soundtrack. Playing the game, exploring the setting a lot more, where the music's bombast to quieter moments more often also really helps.

When I first went through the game, I more or less just ran through it so I was being ushered into the next (what I felt was a largely boring) combat scenario with repetitive sounding metal music with only a hint of variation; that's not really how I feel about it now, nor is that what it is. To me, the soundtrack mainly felt like it was loved by those that simply love metal music, so I assumed a lot of gamers must love metal music as a lot of people praised it (which may still be true), and I think that helps, but it's not just for those that like metal. The way the music dynamically works with the actions of the player is just impressive, which is not something I really noticed the first time I went through it. You can actually find a few videos of people talking about why Doom's soundtrack was as good as it was. You might still not end up agreeing or see why someone says it's good, but I recommend watching this nonetheless.

Loading Video...

I have to believe that the music wasn't simply given awards just because of the individual tracks, but how it was designed and fit into the game to match the player's actions.

xenocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Doom Slayer teams up with Vega to fight Hayden would be a lot of fun.

I'd like to see more open, explorable levels (but not randomised). Earth would be a nice change of setting and could allow for a Metroidvania-lite hub and spoke design to allow for different paths through the game; something conceptually like a big dumb fun version of Metro: Last Light with the Doom Slayer hiding in the tunnels and fighting the hell spawn amid the ruins of Earth. I think the combat in DOOM is close to perfect so I don't need to see anything new there. I'd be interested to see if they can build on the character of the Doom Slayer without ruining the tone they established in the first game. I would also be totally fine with a single-player only experience.

Lastly I'll note that I love the soundtrack and I listen to it regularly – and no, I'm not a metal head but my tastes are wide ranging and I have a soft spot for extremely brutal synths. Another one in a similar vein and which I also listen to regularly is Paul Leonard-Morgan's soundtrack for Dredd. Seems to me that both DOOM's soundtrack and characterisation took some unacknowledged inspiration from that film.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By LeStephan

Offtopic concerning the ost:

Listening to it out of the game, Dooms soundtrack is some of the most boring 'simplistic' (Obviously not in production, but in a boring 'nothing but breakdown' djent kinda way....Except worse) metal I've ever heard in my life. In game though, holy shit is it amazing how the soundtrack dynamically transforms with what your doing. And the mood of it really fits with fucking shit up. The ambient parts of the tracks also fit in great with the visual atmosphere. Imo that is what a great 'videogame soundtrack' is as opposed to 'great music that just happens to be in a videogame'. How its used makes all the difference. I hate r&b (purely because it makes me feel physically nauseous) but if a gamedev would implement it in a game as well as in Doom I'd still praise it for being an amazing videogame soundtrack, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it personally but that is a completely different discussion imo.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By LeStephan

Did you play killing floor 2? That soundtrack is as (modern) metal as you can get. You can even toggle the vocals in the options menu which is hilarious imo haha(I can still remember being put off by grunting/screaming myself haha not passing judgement).

@artisanbreads said:

@bigsocrates: haha yes this is exactly my thought but I want a game that isn't about metal. Like I want a dark fantasy type game with some straight up metal soundtrack that would be badass.

For me, I was one of those people that was out on Brutal Legend when I saw what it was (even though I do like strategy games myself).

Ontopic:

Not sure I want sequels anymore to anything period. But its 100% coming in this case. They need to finish the story right?(Cue Doom 2 becoming the new Half Life 3) I just hope they keep that oldschool unreal tournament-ish mapdesign. Ive seen a lot of complains about the combat arenas but I thought those were, in particular, expertly designed in Doom 2016. Oh and YES connect the maps without arbitrary point of no return, that would be awesome! Add in some unlockable traversal aids like in metroid. Uuuuuuuh, I started out not wanting Doom2 but holy hell thinking about Doom2016 implementing more metroid prime like progression is totally getting me excited.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Ezekiel

@ntm said:

@ezekiel: Just curious, did you only go through the game once? It could be like me and not appreciating what it does the first time due to how you experience the game, but coming around to it the second time. No, it's not a soundtrack that I believe deserves the best award for a soundtrack of last year merely because it's not a soundtrack I want to listen to much outside of the game, and that's a big con for me, but for one that really fits what's going on in the game, it exceeds at doing its job. The gameplay and the soundtrack go hand-in-hand, which is also probably why it's hard to separate it into its own thing to listen to for me. I think if they tried to add some kind of soundtrack like... say, Halo, it wouldn't really work. The tone of the game doesn't suit that kind of soundtrack. Playing the game, exploring the setting a lot more, where the music's bombast to quieter moments more often also really helps.

When I first went through the game, I more or less just ran through it so I was being ushered into the next (what I felt was a largely boring) combat scenario with repetitive sounding metal music with only a hint of variation; that's not really how I feel about it now, nor is that what it is. To me, the soundtrack mainly felt like it was loved by those that simply love metal music, so I assumed a lot of gamers must love metal music as a lot of people praised it (which may still be true), and I think that helps, but it's not just for those that like metal. The way the music dynamically works with the actions of the player is just impressive, which is not something I really noticed the first time I went through it. You can actually find a few videos of people talking about why Doom's soundtrack was as good as it was. You might still not end up agreeing or see why someone says it's good, but I recommend watching this nonetheless.

Loading Video...

I have to believe that the music wasn't simply given awards just because of the individual tracks, but how it was designed and fit into the game to match the player's actions.

I like heavy metal. I have a lot of metal albums. I don't like what Doom's music is supposed to be. It's nice that the music is dynamic, but that doesn't make what's there any more pleasing on its own. And no, I didn't replay it. I enjoyed it, but it was too long and repetitive to want to replay anytime soon.

I'm watching your video. This is what made me think dubstep:

https://youtu.be/7X3LbZAxRPE?t=11m3s

https://youtu.be/7X3LbZAxRPE?t=12m25s

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The game was a massive success for Bethesda, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it gets a release... after they make a couple "remastered" editions for the XBox 1 X, PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By theacidskull

The only real flaw with DOOM was the fact that there weren't enough bosses. Also, DOOM is one of the most wholesome FPS games out there, therefore there probably won't be a lot of changes to the gameplay mechanics beyond minor tweaks. That's why I think that the only true way to improve the sequels experience is to further diversify the enemies and they AI move sets. Figuring out how to deal with 3 different demons at the same time while staying alive and scavenging for health and armor is what made DOOM a "balls to the wall" type of experience, so making the AI attacks more aggressive and diverse is something DOOM's campaign would benefit from.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Probably yeah.

In terms of what I want to see, a better campaign. About halfway through, it felt like I saw all of its tricks and it didn't bring much spectacle or anything else to make up for it. More variety in the enemy encounters would go a long way.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished Doom on Nightmare and it was a great experience. Jumping back into the first stage with all my upgrades, I was actually feeling kind of sad that the experience was over, and the fact that it was a game I didn't get into when I first went through it. All the complaints I have are pretty nitpicky, but the issues that I suppose could be 'fixed' in a sequel are as followed: I'd like to see is a little more variety in the environments than what was in Doom. I liked Doom's Mars and Hell setting quite a bit, but I thought there could be a tad bit more variety. There were only three bosses in the game, if there were at least five in the sequel and as fun as what was in the first, that'd be great. Lastly, I wish there were no points of no return.

FunkyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Anyone who has an interest in the Doom soundtrack should really watch Mick Gordon's GDC talk as he goes into his process for writing music for a game, he even mentions dubstep around 4 minutes in! Surprisingly, one part of his brief was "no guitars" and he tried to avoid a cliche metal sound when composing.

On topic: when I finished Doom I thought it was pretty obvious they were setting up for a sequel and if they did make one I'd be extremely happy! However, the Hell on Earth theme was what id tried when the game was originally called Doom 4 (as seen on Noclip), so maybe they'd be wary of trying that again?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.