Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Doom or Wolfenstein The New Order?

• 73 results
    Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Poll Doom or Wolfenstein The New Order? (663 votes)

Doom 31%
    Wolfenstein 15%
    Neither 2%
    Both 27%
    Results 25%

Which do you prefer and why? Both are reboots based off of classic FPS franchises. I'm just curious.

While Wolfenstein was my 2014 GOTY, Doom surpasses it, IMHO. Wolfenstein tried to be a bit more tactical and include everything from stealth to dual wielding shotguns to aim down sights aiming. Looking back, it was probably a bit too much to handle and I'd much prefer if the game were a bit more focused, but it's still a great game.

Doom knows what it is and is more confident. I prefer games that stick to one playstyle and do it well, rather than being a jack of all trades. Both have their place; Wolfenstein has a more human story to tell, while Doom's story is more there for the player to roll their eyes at. One is more tactical, one is more bombastic.

Whatdoyathink?

• 
    TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Hopefully tomorrow I'll come back and say Doom! I haven't had the time to play it just yet.

Wolfenstein is a great game for sure, but I was personally looking for something that was almost all action all the time. And Doom looks like it wants to be that!

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mhhh, if the Doom multiplayer was more compelling this would of been an easy Doom pick.
    Now it is just a Doom pick accompanied by a loud sign that the multiplayer isn't better.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I was hyped for Wolfenstein ever since the first bonkers E3 trailer and it even succeeded my expectations. I liked the gameplay and rarely relied on stealth, because the gunplay was so fun. I think The New Blood gives you more opportunities for stealth, but I kinda went blasting in that one as well. Never finished it for some reason, though. I also really enjoyed the story, even if the premise is a bit silly. It still managed to create some great tension, like the train scene...and we shouldn't forget about J.

I've enjoyed Doom a lot and while the story doesn't shine like in TNO, I like it that they've just gone crazy and tongue-in-cheek with it. The action's great and I feel like I'm doing pretty good even with a gamepad. Of course there's not that many options on a PS4...if the beta wouldn't have melted my PC, I might've gone with that version. Shame there was no demo to test it out.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That's a very hard call to make. I love both games a lot.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfenstein is Predator and Doom is Commando. Both are great but I prefer that Doom and Commando know exactly what they are and revel in it.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love The New order but I'm going to have to go with Doom. Such a fantastic surprise!

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

Wolfenstein is fantastic, Doom looks very promising, and hoping for Hexen

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After playing Doom I need to go back to Wolfenstein. If Wolfenstein manages to beat Doom I'd be very surprised there is very little fault I can find with Doom without resorting to nitpicks.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

VipeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played Doom yet, but I have a hard time imagining that I would like Doom more than The new order as a whole package to be honest. The things I love about Wolfenstein goes beyond the gameplay, while in Doom the gameplay has center stage. From the looks of it, I'll probably enjoy the shit out of the gameplay in Doom, but there was just more for me to enjoy in Wolfenstein.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

People wouldn't shut up about The New Order, so I bought it. It was okay, but seemed absurdly overrated.

I won't be making the same mistake with Doom. Those same people are saying the exact same kinds of things about this, and I now know that I just don't care.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bassguy said:

Those same people are saying the exact same kinds of things about this, and I now know that I just don't care.

Who? Everyone?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Both.

Wolfenstein was my game of the year. It was an expertly-made game with fantastic tactical combat, super audio and visual design, and a surprisingly effective story. I damn near teared up when the credits music hit.

Doom is fucking awesome, top to bottom, and has a strong shot at being my game of the year (and I've had at least 4 other outstanding experiences in 2016 so far). It shoots for a specific thing and nails all aspects. Gunplay is absolutely superb. It's technically flawless in my experience. All their decisions seem to be based on fun. The original Doom is one of my top 5 games of all time, and somehow I think this is the game I'll come back to the next time I need my Doom fix. I can't think of a higher compliment than that. And I think the multiplayer is really well done, with minimal interaction in Snapmap so far.

All of a sudden, the most exciting shooters are coming out of Bethesda with franchises that built the genre. It's heartening to see Wolfenstein and Doom really mean something again.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#15 riostarwind  Moderator

This is a hard question to answer. I'll take the easy way out and say that I enjoyed them both equally for different reasons. Wolfenstein had a well crafted story bolstered by some good gunplay. Doom has a enjoyable dumb story and at the same time the fast paced gunplay kept me entertained.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Doom a lot more. I actually did not care that much for the Wolf reboot. It was fine, but I dont know didnt do it for me. Didnt care for the story. Doom gave a decent story, and kept it to a minimum, and in the campy area where it wasnt supposed to feel real. I think thats the way to go with any of their games.

@wmoyer83 said:

Wolfenstein is fantastic, Doom looks very promising, and hoping for Hexen

I hoping they do as well. There seemed to be some older "Doomslayers" in Knight gear which I kinda hope ties in to a Hexen reboot.

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I haven't played Doom, but I look forward to picking it up on sale. Wolfenstein surprised the hell out of me with how good the story was. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did and the story went a long way for me. Doom seems to have way less of a story so I'm not sure I will enjoy it as much, but the gameplay looks fun as hell.

If you're big into stories in games I think Wolfenstein will be more enjoyable overall. If you're looking more for satisfying gameplay, then Doom might be up your alley.

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom for gameplay, Wolfenstein for story. Both are brilliant and the best FPS's since Half-Life 2, though.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Doom will match Wolfenstein when it has demons emulating popular musicians.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the minority that did not enjoy The New Order. Sure, I enjoyed the the alternate history of it all, Reading about Beatles leaving hidden resistance messages or BJ interacting and getting high with Jimi Hendrix. But the gameplay itself rubbed me the wrong way. Part of it was that the game shows you all this cool stuff you could do like sliding, dual wielding etc, but the gameplay mechanics such as the enemies' ttk forced you to play in a much slower, methodical "take cover and pop some shots" manner and I hated it for it. So much so that I pretty much stealth the majority of the combat encounters. Doom is the antithesis of TNO in that it's face paced, you're ripin and tearin and it does not take itself seriously and it is much better for it. To me Doom 2016 is clearly the superior game and with a few other games that have come out this year Doom is already on my GOTY list.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By newmoneytrash

wolfenstein was fantastic for the story and while it played very well i didn't get the same joy out of the actual shooting as i do with doom

doom is just a genuinely incredible game

also wolfenstein and doom are the two best SP at least shooters of this generation. what a time to be alive

@bassguy: if you're not going to play something because people are saying it's good you're going to have a bad time with video games

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@bassguy said:

People wouldn't shut up about The New Order, so I bought it. It was okay, but seemed absurdly overrated.

I won't be making the same mistake with Doom. Those same people are saying the exact same kinds of things about this, and I now know that I just don't care.

That's a reasonable conclusion to come to, but Doom is a very different shooter from Wolfenstein.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scientificpizza: I didn't mean to imply that.
    I guess I was more going for a 'with so many good things out there, an unengaging multiplayer might aswell not be there for me'.
    But the value proposition is still better with Doom, and I just like it better. Not sure if i can say that it is definitively better.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@bassguy: if you're not going to play something because people are saying it's good you're going to have a bad time with video games

That's not what I said. I'm gauging my taste in games against maybe six or seven people from game outlets I read. They clearly like FPSs (especially modernized takes on classics) MUCH, MUCH more than I do. When it comes time for me to spend my money, I have to take previous experiences into account. "X people said Y was great, but I only thought it was middling. When a similar situation plays out again, I'll interpret their 'great' as 'middling' for me."

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Evilsbane

They are both very solid games but DOOM is just more fun regardless of the fact that Wolfenstein has great characters and a decent story, DOOM just feels amazing to play.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get the impression DOOM is trying a lot of the same ideas, but didn't really think about them as long. The example that I keep coming back to is that they shoved the classic areas in without considering much context--why would these secret areas of the map look all shitty and outdated? It makes so much more sense for it to be a nightmare sequence--as sort of PTSD flashback to what was. Especially when you consider Wolfenstein was living in and thematically based around this idea of old tech and old design being buckled into modern tech and design. It's so cool that Wolfenstein's theme works mechanically, thematically, and even with the peripheral context of it being a revival of an old game. It's fucking fantastic. I hope DOOM is even half that, but what I've seen says otherwise.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@bassguy said:
    @scientificpizza said:

That's not what I said. I'm gauging my taste in games against maybe six or seven people from game outlets I read. They clearly like FPSs (especially modernized takes on classics) MUCH, MUCH more than I do. When it comes time for me to spend my money, I have to take previous experiences into account. "X people said Y was great, but I only thought it was middling. When a similar situation plays out again, I'll interpret their 'great' as 'middling' for me."

Doom isn't "great" its fantastic, it is one the most fun FPS SP campaigns I've played in years, I was really worried about picking it up but after playing it for just a few minutes I knew it was gonna be a great time, do yourself a favor and grab it on Steam if you aren't having a blast in less than 30 minutes just return it, but don't miss out on something awesome because Wolfenstein got overhyped.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ivdamke

So I jumped into Wolfenstein briefly and did the first mission and I can safely say that Doom is a significant iterative improvement on the groundwork set down by Machine Games with Wolfenstein. Most of the structure that Doom uses is lifted straight from Wolfenstein but Doom manages to clean up most of the shortcomings I instantly noticed in Wolfenstein. Things like the map, the UI in general, the way you interact with the world and most importantly the character movement and feedback from the shooting are all significantly improved upon in Doom. The flow of the combat in Doom is an extension of the player, everything you do works exactly as you intend. Wolfenstein has a few niggling things that really get in the way of that flow like it's auto/manual lean system or it's overly jerky animations for vaulting and sprinting.

I have a lot of trouble coming up with flaws in Doom that aren't minor nitpicks, but I was instantly able to determine things I really don't like about Wolfenstein. For example the iron sights serve little to no purpose as hip-firing is just as accurate or the decision that Machine Games made forcing the player to manually press a button to pick up every little bit of ammo or armor rather than have it auto-collect like it does in Doom.

It still seems like a good game and I'll definitely continue with it, it also has a really strong beginning like Doom but for different reasons. But man 2 years and id's art team gives a serious visual step up that I didn't expect.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Wolfenstein The New Order is leagues better than DOOM (2016).

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GaspoweR

@huntad said:

Wolfenstein The New Order is leagues better than DOOM (2016).

I enjoyed the hello out of TNO but I also like DOOM a lot. I wouldn't say its leagues better than the latter though since they're both going for something different despite both being FPS's.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would say both. DOOM's raw gameplay is unmatched really, but I like the story and setting in TNO and the combat in that game is really good too. DOOM has multiplayer and a level creator too, so it's a more complete package.

baconbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like them both for different reasons. TNO has a great story which it told very well and it's gameplay is great. It is the first FPS that I played where I enjoyed the stealth. DOOM has this rawness to its gameplay that I love and has its hooks in me. DOOM is, to me, about running around Mars dishing out hot murder in demon's faces.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n said:

I tried TNO a couple of times but each time fell off after around an hour, story seemed real interesting but contrary to many I didn't enjoy playing it at all. Doom however is way better than I ever could have hoped, good enough that it's making me want to give TNO another chance after I wrap it up.

Whaaaaaaaaaat? That game is so good. Took me by surprise because I was kind of dismissive when it first announced but it wound up being one of my favorites that year. I haven't played Doom yet but the campaign looks great both graphically and the flow of the game. MP seems forgettable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both because Doom wouldn't be this good if it wasn't for the new Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein set a bar of quality for FPS now and Bethesda had to at least match it and they did a fantastic job with the new Doom. I'm getting really close to beating it now and I'm loving this game.I hope the rumors are true about Prey 2 coming back I would love to see what they would do with the series Bethesda is on a roll with First Person shooters I hope the trend keeps continuing.

Mysterious0Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're different enough from each other to be put side by side. I don't think either is 'better' which is a true testament to both games.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom is sick man. I've wanted this for so long. It's finally here. T.T

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BurBan_Snake

I didnt expect to like doom, In fact, I expected to actively dislike it..

and then i played it.

and played it some more..

and its the best first person shooter ive played since CoD:MW (Single Player, cant speak on MP)

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new Wolfenstein was Great. I was surprised at much I liked it.

I played Doom for about 2 hours this weekend and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO BORING

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By peacebrother

I finished up TNO for the first time last week, and while I thought parts of it were very good (story, characters/writing), I played it over a long period of time. It never held my attention for very long, and I had to force myself to go back and finish it. Maybe it's different on lower difficulties (I played on the one just below the hardest), but BJ is so fragile that it required far too much taking cover for my tastes. TNO is a *very good game* though, don't get me wrong. One of the better FPS games I've played in a while, I just don't appreciate it on the same level that it's fervent fans seem to.

Doom, however, is enthralling me and I can't put it down. It's definitely going down as one of my favourite games this year (and of the past few years), and I can't wait to play it again on nightmare. It's actually likely to be one of my favourite FPS games period.

I've seen people say stuff like "doom is based on old antiquated design" and it doesn't pay attention to how modern shooters are made. If that's the case, I greatly dislike modern shooters because they've thrown out so much of what makes shooting shit fun.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@toysoldier83 said:

I'm in the minority that did not enjoy The New Order. Sure, I enjoyed the the alternate history of it all, Reading about Beatles leaving hidden resistance messages or BJ interacting and getting high with Jimi Hendrix. But the gameplay itself rubbed me the wrong way. Part of it was that the game shows you all this cool stuff you could do like sliding, dual wielding etc, but the gameplay mechanics such as the enemies' ttk forced you to play in a much slower, methodical "take cover and pop some shots" manner and I hated it for it. So much so that I pretty much stealth the majority of the combat encounters. Doom is the antithesis of TNO in that it's face paced, you're ripin and tearin and it does not take itself seriously and it is much better for it. To me Doom 2016 is clearly the superior game and with a few other games that have come out this year Doom is already on my GOTY list.

I hope I feel the same way about DOOM. About to start it. I could not agree more on Wolfenstein. I also think they did fine with stealth, but it was not some great stealth experience. I also don't see what is so great in the story besides some cool moments like you bring up. It reminded me a lot of the Darkness (minus the powers of course) but I just didn't find any of it as good.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to say Wolfenstein but it was let down by the engine in a few ways, as a PC gamer this is entirely based on the PC version of the game, the frame rate was limited to 60fps which meant with v-sync turned off you ended up with horrendous screen tearing, and you wanted v-sync off when using a mouse otherwise you get input lag which i'm very sensitive to. I found a middle ground with some nvidia options but ended up playing the entire game with slight input lag, a huge negative which you could maybe get around by having a g-sync monitor but i don't have one of those, maybe next time.
    But screw it i'll say Wolfenstein anyway, the plot is awesome, moving forward to having the Nazi's win the war was super interesting, BJ's flavour dialogue was some great stuff, the characters are all very memorable, guns all felt and sounded great, stealth was well implemented, really the only bad things i have to say are those technical things, every game on that engine could use a higher base volume.
    I have a few hours in DOOM now and it's good, but i am finding the execution mechanic repetitive, the audio mix is terrible, some voices are very loud, some are quiet, ambient sound effects are very loud but guns are quiet... guns are quiet... and get drowned out by ambience, what?
    I've played better games in this explosive run and gun genre, but it is a good game, i played 2 and a half hours of the multiplayer with friends tonight and had a good time despite hating the beta, it's unbalanced as hell but that kind of makes it fun.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both so far but I'm not deep in doom and i never finished wolfenstein. Wolfenstein had a great story, good shooting, and lots of texture pop in. Doom has a lot of punching demons in the face, so its too hard a choice.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still surprised how close Doom fallows Doom 3 story beats. It feels a lot like an art director on Doom 3 made that into cannon or something like a producer wants to take credit for sticking their foot in the door.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ezekiel

@bassguy said:

Same, except replace The New Order with Shadow Warrior. People were raving about Shadow Warrior, but after just three hours I was totally bored of it. Doom looks similar. I'm not falling for it. I found it bland looking through the whole dev/ad campaign.

The New Order was alright. I played it twice. Overrated, though.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: I'm not going to tell you to play a game if you're not interested but doom is a thousand times better than shadow warrior

i wanted to love shadow warrior but that game is just not fun to play at all

Wwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Define "overrated." I thought New Order was amazing. It had great combat and a surprisingly good story for what it is. It was better than it had any right to be. I don't play many FPS games anymore though.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Both, easily. If you like over-the-top FPS action I can't see how you'd like one and not the other.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

As great as Wolfy TNO is, if I had to only choose one I'd do DOOM

I had a great time 100%ing TNO but DOOM scratches my FPS itch so much more.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Xdeser2

I found myself super impressed by DOOM's worldbuilding, in a way that made me want to replay Wolfenstein because it delves so much deeper into the alternate history side of its story.

Both are great games, but while DOOM's fast pace and sprawling level design are great, I think I enjoyed playing Wolfenstein (When its at its best) a bit more.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both!

Perhaps surprisingly, they are very different games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.