Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Franchise »

id Software's Doom is now known as a modern classic that spawned a new genre of video games.

Another Doom movie is happening. (Trailer included)

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoOzak

It's called Doom: Annihilation (worked for MK, right?) and it's coming October 1st straight to DVD, Blu-ray etc. (like all good movies)

Apparently this was a known quantity for awhile now but this is the first i'm hearing of it. (I think it got delayed?)

Anyway, as bad that original Doom movie was at least it had Karl Urban, The Rock and that dumb first person sequence.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#2 fisk0  Moderator

I liked the last movie despite it dropping the demon plot in favor of yet another gene manipulation scare thing. The new one looks like it's based on the last movie instead of trying to getting closer to the source material. Doesn't look like it improves on the last one in any way, but I guess I'll watch it.

The first person sequence was great.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By OurSin_360

Given the last game, they should really just make a crazy over the top action movie out of this. With stuff like avengers staying close to the source material and being taken seriously i think it's possible with good writing, cast and decent budget.

@fisk0 said:

I liked the last movie despite it dropping the demon plot in favor of yet another gene manipulation scare thing. The new one looks like it's based on the last movie instead of trying to getting closer to the source material. Doesn't look like it improves on the last one in any way, but I guess I'll watch it.

The first person sequence was great.

I'm pretty sure the guy literally says "they opened up a portal to hell" so i think it's definitely going closer to the game than the other movie.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom Eternal is enough for me, thanks.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

That trailer fell straight out of 2002. The only remotely "DOOM" thing about it is that it has demons and someone mentioned Hell. Literally nothing else.

Unless this trailer is some crazy rug pull shit and those two seem-to-be protagonists just get straight up murdered in the first 15 minutes and the rest is just Doomguy.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It genuinely looks like a fan film to me apart from that demon makeup.

I feel like the only way to make a Doom film decent would be going with a Doom 3 style plot. Have an average marine grunt at secret facility, everything goes bad around him, has to get through facility to shut down hell portal, but use modern Doom designs, really play up the heavy metal demons from hell aspect, and throw a straight up Cacodemon in there. Modern Doomslayer's a great character that absolutely would not work on screen, and Doom 3 visual designs don't really convey what the series is popular for, so it'd have to be a hybrid of sorts.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

When they include "fuck" in the trailer, you know they're going for gold.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Oh dear.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks like all of the footage cut from Jason X, and I'm kinda into it.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This looks bad.

I'm interested.

bigevil1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I had a memory of the first DOOM movie being bad but fun, having watched it again last year I no longer hold that view. It’s really awful, the first-person sequence is still kinda bad but fun but the rest of the movie is a slog. This one looks like it has an even lower budget than the first, but I’m still morbidly curious.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I crazy or are people in this thread actually praising the first person sequence in the first Doom movie

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@frostyryan: HA! I thought Doom was an okay schlocky action/light-horror flick. I didn’t mind the whole “evil gene” thing in lieu of Hell. It wasn’t worth caring about. It was a dumb, fun, popcorn movie.

But that entire first person sequence was baaaaad. I was probably 25 or so when I saw that. Not a child, but I think even if I were 15 I would have understood just how awful that haunted house advertisement of a scene was.

The first person sequence in Doom was terrible.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we just get a Doom movie with Doom Guy instead? This looks like a fan made Aliens movie.

Where is At Doom's Gate?

Loading Video...
    DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DarkeyeHails

This looks terrible and not in the guilty pleasure way that the original movie is. Also, I love the first person sequence from DOOM. It was stupid and bad and had everything making it terrible but also oh-so-right.

If people are having trouble believing that there are those praising the FPS sequence, you'll lose your mind to know that back in the day there was a loud contingent of people who not only liked that sequence but liked it so much they insisted DOOM needed to be 100% first person with no supporting characters or dialogue.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I've never seen the mid 2000's movie but I find it impossible to believe that people can't at least understand why someone might like the glorious stupidity of that first person scene.

https://youtu.be/-Jf-E7oEguU

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shindig

What if we got Doom Guy to put on a cat suit and sing for a bit?

Woah, they have that a whole four minutes? Commitment.

MrFixIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

If it was on Netflix I still wouldn’t watch it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

It most definitely looks like a straight-to-DVD hackfest.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkeyehails: I think we saw Doom in theaters. It doesn’t surprise me that some wrong-minded contingency would want a fully first-person Doom movie back in 2005-2005. This was the same era where idiots were successfully hyping the latest 3D movies fad, ruining IMAX theaters for about a decade.

...assholes, the lot of ‘em...

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: I love stupid. That movie was, on a visual level, put together okay enough for the time and budget.

That scene, though....it’s like the movie stopped and someone’s hastily-thrown-together trailer for their haunted house started playing. Stupid is one thing, that was just bad, and not a knowing/winking bad, it just seemed like a severe failure in trying something new.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.