Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom 3

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Aug 03, 2004

Doom 3, a more story-focused remake of the original Doom, is a sci-fi first-person-shooter that was widely considered the most graphically advanced game available for its time.

Vanilla DOOM 3 to Be Available for Purchase Again

• 93 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

As outlined in Brad’s review of DOOM 3: BFG Edition, a series of questionable changes means there are legitimate reasons to stick with vanilla DOOM 3, rather than paying for the new version of it.

Unfortunately, the ability to purchase the original DOOM 3 was removed from Steam and other services with the launch of DOOM 3: BFG Edition. You can technically still purchase the original DOOM 3, but that requires ponying up $100 for the complete id Software collection on the service.

It's not something that will change in the next few minutes, but id Software told me it’s working on a fix.

“We do realize that there are fans that would like to purchase the original version of the game, and we’re looking into options for them,” said the company in a statement. “When there’s new info to share, we’ll let everyone know.”

If you already own the original DOOM 3, you can still access that in your Steam library.

One of the primary reasons you’d want the original DOOM 3 is because it’s moddable, whereas DOOM 3: BFG Edition is not. That will be an option when the DOOM 3: BFG Edition source code is released “in the near future.”

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

As outlined in Brad’s review of DOOM 3: BFG Edition, a series of questionable changes means there are legitimate reasons to stick with vanilla DOOM 3, rather than paying for the new version of it.

Unfortunately, the ability to purchase the original DOOM 3 was removed from Steam and other services with the launch of DOOM 3: BFG Edition. You can technically still purchase the original DOOM 3, but that requires ponying up $100 for the complete id Software collection on the service.

It's not something that will change in the next few minutes, but id Software told me it’s working on a fix.

“We do realize that there are fans that would like to purchase the original version of the game, and we’re looking into options for them,” said the company in a statement. “When there’s new info to share, we’ll let everyone know.”

If you already own the original DOOM 3, you can still access that in your Steam library.

One of the primary reasons you’d want the original DOOM 3 is because it’s moddable, whereas DOOM 3: BFG Edition is not. That will be an option when the DOOM 3: BFG Edition source code is released “in the near future.”

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By morningstar

Great news. I'll use my boxed copy though, thank you.

PatVB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By PatVB

That's good to hear! Luckily, I already bought it on PC, so I'm covered.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By deathbyyeti

Doom 3 BFG is a bad re release and removing Doom 3 from Steam was kind of gross

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By bvilleneuve

I loaded up my original copy of DOOM 3 on Steam today, to see how fertile it might be as a basis for a literary theory paper I'll be writing for a class over the next couple months. Fun stuff!

Skrams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Skrams

Glad this is coming back as I was really thinking of purchasing it come sale time and stepping into mod territory, but when I saw Doom 3 and RoE were moved to the Super id Pack I was pretty bummed. Still kind of sad they would go and do that to just try and increase BFG sales and limit regular ass Doom 3 sales.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By linkster7

Luckily I already own it, now if I only had time to replay it.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By rjaylee

It's weird that they took it off in the first place, but I get the business decision behind that. What I don't understand at all is how the BFG Edition got so royally messed up, causing such a splinter.

It really doesn't make sense how poorly the BFG Edition was remastered. I'd hate to say it, but I wonder if the poor reception influenced them to revert the decision to still sell vanilla Doom 3 or not.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

This whole BFG edition business in general is just weird.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By musubi

Luckily already have me a copy of Vanilla Doom 3 and the expansion before they took it off. =)

Purple_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Purple_eye

It's kind of ironic that when BFG is moddable, one of the first mods is likely to be one that changes the flashlight back to the way it was in original Doom 3.

zerdune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By zerdune

I just bought the Steam version before the BFG edition came out for 5€ because of The Dark Mod.

petitfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By petitfool

Good thing I already have it...ON THE XBOX.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

Translation: "We don't want people telling their friends to buy the cheaper, original Doom 3 when they should be spending $30 on BFG. Once BFG has launched and settled, we'll put the original back up."

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By cornbredx

I still have Doom 3 on CD haha

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Sooty

@heatDrive88 said:

It's weird that they took it off in the first place, but I get the business decision behind that. What I don't understand at all is how the BFG Edition got so royally messed up, causing such a splinter.

It really doesn't make sense how poorly the BFG Edition was remastered. I'd hate to say it, but I wonder if the poor reception influenced them to revert the decision to still sell vanilla Doom 3 or not.

Well it's id, they are a shadow of their former self anyway so I don't really get surprised by anything anymore.

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By bvilleneuve

@BlazeHedgehog said:

Translation: "We don't want people telling their friends to buy the cheaper, original Doom 3 when they should be spending $30 on BFG. Once BFG has launched and settled, we'll put the original back up."

It's actually really interesting that you say that. I thought that was the case as well, but Doom 3 was $19.99 and Resurrection of Evil was $9.99. So BFG Edition wasn't appreciably more expensive than the originals, for what content you get. In fact, you get the Lost Mission or whatever, so BFG Edition actually saved you money.

EDIT: Actually, it includes Doom 1 ($9.99) and Doom 2 ($9.99) as well, so it saves you a significant amount of money.

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
    deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh thank god, I was worried about this, cause you never know when you need to buy more copies of this all time classic.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Zippedbinders

@Sooty said:

@heatDrive88 said:

Well it's id, they are a shadow of their former self anyway so I don't really get surprised by anything anymore.

id is still as great as they were, they're just hampered by Zenimax's and Bethesda's bullshit.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By delta_ass

I don't know why they took it off. One game is called "Doom 3" while the other is called "Doom 3: BFG edition." Doesn't seem like that'd confuse consumers.

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Creme

Take the old version off. 
    Let the new one sell for a while. 
    Put the old version back on.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By audiosnow

People say that id isn't what it used to be.

I don't even care.

Grandpa may be missing more teeth and his singing would no longer put my two year-old self to sleep, but, man, he can still spit and cuss with the best as he sits on his porch with his shotgun.

id could make the worst iPhone games on the planet and I would still call them id.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox

They took it off entirely? What the fuck. The day BFG came out Vanilla was dropped from $30 to $20. I, and any other reasonable human, would have expected that to stick around since they went through the trouble of negotiating a new price point.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By metalmoog

I never played vaniloom 3 so I don't know what I'm missing. I love the BFG Edition because it's all fresh to me. I only have a few small gripes about the lack of control scheme options and customizations, but overall I'm loving the set.

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By moncole

I rather play Doom 3 because I liked the flashlight wasnt attached to the gun, it added challenge.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikkaQ

Glad I already own it, I guess. Still not tempted to play it though... just seems too disparate from classic Doom and if I didn't play it back in 04, it's probably just gonna come off as old and shitty.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rjaylee

@Zippedbinders said:

@Sooty said:

@heatDrive88 said:

id is still as great as they were, they're just hampered by Zenimax's and Bethesda's bullshit.

And just how do the publishers hamper id Software? Please do grace us with your unfathomable knowledge bomb. As far as I can believe, you're just spouting unjustified publisher hate.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vinsanityv22

So, are they talking about re-releasing Doom 3? Or patching BFG Edition to improve the version on disc? Personally, I'd just like to see them patch BFG Edition so that you can play with old "Flashlight OR Gun" combo - I appreciate that they wanted to address the complaints leveled against Doom 3 at the time, but I was never one of the complainers. I also don't think BFG Edition is a deal breaker, but it's silly that you can't choose how you want to play Doom 3. Patrick brings up a good point about Vanilla Doom 3 being moddable, but I'm talking about the PS3 version here - I'm a console gamer. Still, id should work to make this whole situation, on PC and consoles, more ideal. I mean, it's not like Doom 3 is a new game. Maybe they should've axed, "The Lost Mission" entirely and focus on delivering the best version of Doom 3 possible...

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By hanktherapper

Vanilla Doom 3 is my favorite Ben and Jerry's flavor.

FMinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FMinus

@Sooty said:

@heatDrive88 said:

Aside from the Zenimax buyout and probably them dealing with distribution now (deciding to take Doom 3 off in favour of Doom 3 BFG) and the idiotic decision to let Raven handle Quake 4, they are still pretty much the same old id software they ever were.

They should just come up with another proper Quake multiplayer game and everyone will love them again. Doom is an intermezzo for everyone anyway, but Quake is where it's at.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShaggE

That's a relief. Once I realized BFG wasn't moddable, I regretted it immediately.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7e65f138bb3
    deactivated-5d7e65f138bb3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

PR bot on damage control. Pretty sad to see from a company whose owner used to talk directly to the consumers and oppose software restrictions.

ITSSEXYTIME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ITSSEXYTIME

@Delta_Ass: You know what was confusing? Divinity II is available as Divinity II: Ego Draconis and Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga. (Because of having different publishers) When I first saw DKS I thought it was just an expansion and almost bought ego draconis as well, but luckily I read through the store page.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

@CakeBomb said:

Take the old version off. Let the new one sell for a while. Put the old version back on.

So the BFG edition is basically New Coke?

I find it amusing that the company line for id is that they're looking into their options as if none of this was up to them...

ohvee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ohvee

@EvilNiGHTS said:

@CakeBomb said:

Take the old version off. Let the new one sell for a while. Put the old version back on.

So the BFG edition is basically New Coke?

I find it amusing that the company line for id is that they're looking into their options as if none of this was up to them...

It probably isn't up to them anymore, being owned by Bethesda and all.

OAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By OAJ

I just want Doom 64 on XBLA or something (They could call it Doom 64x3.625).

CannibalDeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CannibalDeth

That's not cool. Also without the flashlight in the BFG Edition, it's a whole lot less scary than vanilla Doom 3.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#39  Edited By vigorousjammer

@OAJ said:

I just want Doom 64 on XBLA or something (They could call it Doom 64x3.625).

64x3.625? I did that math and it came out to be 232

They should call it Doom 64x5.625

As for the article, I'm guessing they'll end up including original Doom 3 for anybody who buys BFG edition.

Andy_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Andy_117

"...we’re looking into options for them."

Those options, incidentally, do not include NOT FUCKING REMOVING THE GAME FROM THE STORE

fooflighter737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fooflighter737

Trying that Velocireal Mod..still have my DVD version

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#42  Edited By Lazyaza

All I ever wanted in order to play D3 again was some resolution options so it scaled right on my widescreen monitor and maybe some achievements. No other changes or upgrades were needed whatsoever. That's literally all they had to do and I would have happily paid 20 bucks for that.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#43  Edited By MormonWarrior

Oh good. It'll likely be back by the time I get around to building a PC.

Avatar image for scottygrayskull
    scottygrayskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By scottygrayskull

The id collection goes for a massive discount pretty much every Steam sale tbh. If you want vanilla Doom 3 that badly, chances are you'll be able to get it (and much more) for a decent price soon, probably not much more than just vanilla cost normally.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ripelivejam

i want more flashlights, MORE FLASHLIGHTS!!!!!!

if the area around me isn't lit up like a football stadium im not buying!!

Smokey_Earhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Smokey_Earhole
    @bvilleneuve

I loaded up my original copy of DOOM 3 on Steam today, to see how fertile it might be as a basis for a literary theory paper I'll be writing for a class over the next couple months. Fun stuff!

literary theory in the context of DOOM 3

wait what?
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@DeathbyYeti said:

Doom 3 BFG is a bad re release and removing Doom 3 from Steam was kind of gross

Theoretically, removing the older version helps to protect the consumer from accidentally buying the "inferior" product.

fooflighter737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By fooflighter737

The VelociMod is amazing...don't waste your money on BFG...just get the mod...Doom 3 is actually fun and looks amazing now

Cday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cday

A fix? This is the best they can come up with? They can't just be honest? Well ok id if you take me for that much of an idiot I can't even imagine the most fantastical of reasons to support such scumbaggery.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By emem

The mod looks nice, but the DoF effect in the video is WAY too extreme. I'll still give it a shot though, hopefully there's a way to tone it down. 

@FMinus said: 

Aside from the Zenimax buyout and probably them dealing with distribution now (deciding to take Doom 3 off in favour of Doom 3 BFG) and the idiotic decision to let Raven handle Quake 4, they are still pretty much the same old id software they ever were.

They should just come up with another proper Quake multiplayer game and everyone will love them again. Doom is an intermezzo for everyone anyway, but Quake is where it's at.

Yeah, Quake 4 was not a good game and everyone I know who played Q3 multiplayer was disappointed about it. 

We would be happy about a new Quake multiplayer game, but the question on id's mind is if the game can be a financial success. Do you think they could sell a fast paced FPS on consoles at all? I'm sure there are people out there who wouldn't think twice about buying it on whichever system, but I kinda feel like you need 2 completely different versions of the game (at least the multiplayer part of it), one for PC and one for consoles.  

I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong on this topic... I would play the shit out of a modern rocket arena game/mod.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.