Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

After the Empress is killed, her most loyal bodyguard, Corvo, becomes the prime suspect, and must track down those who murdered his charge and betrayed him in order to enact his bloody revenge.

My favorite Dishonored world detail: All of the women wear pants

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ztiworoh

I'm only 1/3 or so into the game, but something I found interesting is that none of the female characters wear dresses. I thought it was a kind of weird world-building detail that also likely made development easier (I'd imagine pants are easier to animate than long dresses, as would have been the fashion in Victorian times).

abara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By abara

but are their faces clean?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Actually, skin-tight pants are far more acceptable on women so they probably are pretty easy to animate, whereas dresses have constantly moving and much more obvious ripples.

This is just a guess, I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I don't see how pants would be harder to animate than dresses.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By TruthTellah

@believer258: Isn't that what he meant? He ventured the guess that they might have just been easier to animate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Interesting. I was looking through various screenshots I took during the game and I can't think of even one character who had a dress. There are events in the game that would make you think they would wear a dress, but I didn't see any even at this events. BTW: How do you know you're 1/3 through? Haha.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

@TruthTellah said:

@believer258: Isn't that what he meant? He ventured the guess that they might have just been easier to animate.

I thought he said dresses were easier. His wording is kind of funny, but I misread it. Oops.

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ztiworoh

@wewantsthering: Just a guess based on how long I've read it is vs how long I've played.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

@believer258 said:

@TruthTellah said:

I thought he said dresses were easier. His wording is kind of funny, but I misread it. Oops.

Yeah, it did sound a bit odd, but I'm glad you got his point when you rechecked it. :)

It definitely could be something having to do with their animations and the infinite possibilities kind of gameplay involved. Plus, it does make a cool little world detail.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By tallTuck94

I think it looks pretty cool and it suits the overall style really well. Although surely their must be at least one dress in the game? I haven't really been paying attention for dresses.

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By MoonlightMoth

They need to get Spicy Horse on the phone.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I don't get it - does society have a problem with dresses now?

Avatar image for myelbowsfelloff
    MyElbowsFellOff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MyElbowsFellOff

Interesting. I didn't even notice this. The world is quite novel, I was more distracted by other things.... like the woman wearing a mask that looks like a dead baby.

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mowgers

Yeah, its definitely interesting, especially since your standard steampunk trends toward corsets and bustle skirts and otherwise impractical clothing (I'm aware Dishonored isn't standard Steampunk, feels more like China Mieville's Bas Lag setting to me). Of all the development choices I'd like to lift the curtain on in that game I really want to know whether lady pants were a stylistic idea motivated by tech limitations or whether it's something they wanted to pursue for its own sake.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aetheldod

@Oldirtybearon: It seems like it , I think :/ i..... im confused about these matters D:

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SomeDeliCook

In a world where theres infected people shambling around, killer rats spreading a plague, and guards enforcing a very strict curfew, I doubt any women care about wearing dresses.

There is one part in the game where they would wear them, but otherwise I see no reason why they would.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zeushbien

I personally love women in dresses, but I can see how in the fiction it makes sense that they would all wear pants. Never really thought about until now actually. Fun little detail.

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rolanthas

@MyElbowsFellOff said:

Interesting. I didn't even notice this. The world is quite novel, I was more distracted by other things.... like the woman wearing a mask that looks like a dead baby.

Almost every mask in that party was unexpected and creepy. But yeah, dead baby face takes the cake.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I would wear a kilt or a skirt all the time but people would give me dirty looks. Seems way more comfortable.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By AndrewB

@Brodehouse said:

I would wear a kilt or a skirt all the time but people would give me dirty looks. Seems way more comfortable.

This, to the point where I've looked into getting an actual kilt, but holy hell can they run on the expensive side if you're not willing to settle for garbage. Maybe I should just look into the skirts.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Tennmuerti

@AndrewB said:

@Brodehouse said:

This, to the point where I've looked into getting an actual kilt, but holy hell can they run on the expensive side if you're not willing to settle for garbage. Maybe I should just look into the skirts.

Imo kilt/skirt is going too far it would be too breezy. Loose shorts commando style are the perfect middle ground.

Unless want to wear underwear under that kilt. Which would be totally fucking crazy. Why wear a kilt at that point!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AndrewB

@Tennmuerti said:

Imo kilt/skirt is going too far it would be too breezy. Loose shorts commando style are the perfect middle ground.

Unless want to wear underwear under that kilt. Which would be totally fucking crazy. Why wear a kilt at that point!

No way man. The crotch on those pants/shorts is too restrictive, even if baggy. I'll endure breezes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Tennmuerti

@AndrewB said:

@Brodehouse said:

For the same reason girls wear panties or bike shorts under skirts..!
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Brodehouse said:

@Tennmuerti

@AndrewB said:

@Brodehouse said:

For the same reason girls wear panties or bike shorts under skirts..!

It was more of a question why a kilt instead of shorts then, not why underwear under it.

So you want to wear a kilt to look sexy?

Ok I can understand. :D

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AndrewB

@Tennmuerti said:

It was more of a question why a kilt instead of shorts then, not why underwear under it.

So you want to wear a kilt to look sexy?

Ok I can understand. :)

To look and *feel* sexy. Also, that big piece of interior fabric.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By handlas

I just like the detail of putting on and removing the mask every time you go on a mission.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @handlas: yet somehow you can still use the mask's zoom ability in the hound pits :P
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShaggE

I like the surprising lack of goggles, personally. I love steampunk, but it's awesome that they didn't fully restrict themselves to the aesthetic. No dirigibles, either.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BBQBram

@FancySoapsMan said:

@handlas: yet somehow you can still use the mask's zoom ability in the hound pits :P

Oh shit hadn't noticed that.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Oldirtybearon said:

I don't get it - does society have a problem with dresses now?

Dresses are sexist now.

@AndrewB said:

@Brodehouse said:

The real question is, would you wear underwear with a kilt or go the traditional Scottish way?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EXTomar

Huh. This is one of those "I can unseen it once you realize it" things.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AndrewB

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@AndrewB said:

@Brodehouse said:

The real question is, would you wear underwear with a kilt or go the traditional Scottish way?

Do you really want to know?

Firkraag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the Outsider's hairy arse!

Almost 7 years later and I've just noticed that!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.