Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 25, 2014

An expansion to Diablo III that adds the Crusader class, a new area called Westmarch, and a new evil to fight in Malthael, the angel of death.

How can I get to level 70 with Crusader in Hard Core?

Avatar image for poprocksandsoda
    poprocksandsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Hi Diablo 3 experts. I'm trying to get to level 70 with a Crusader in Hard Core mode. I'm doing really poorly. Two deaths and restarts so far before even getting to level 30. I'm sticking to Normal or Hard difficulty but I just get overrun. Any tips for how to keep my Crusader alive and growing? Thanks in advance.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

The first thing you need to know is that paper toughness weighs vitality very heavily, which is bad if you're actually looking for a huge pool of effective hp. Always stack all resistances and armor well over vitality. However, don't take that to mean skip vitality in general. It's variable - you'll figure out the hp pool that fits for you as you play. Escape and movement is hugely important as well. For instance, the crusader should always have the steed charge on their hotbar. There's no excuse to not have it: a) it provides extra mobility and b) it's a get out of jail card. It's just too good not to have it, and if you start gearing at 70 getting the flail that doubles the duration of the horse makes it nearly constant.

Furthermore, the strongest stat you can raise on a crusader is Cooldown Reduction. It's really strong on other classes, but the crusader straight up needs it. Having horse or iron skin up an extra 3-4s per fight accumulates and is insanely useful, not to mention skills that actually do damage (and lots of it). It's hard to recommend a way to level in hardcore other than make sure you don't overextend and, though I hate to say it, you kinda have to be playing real lazy to die in low difficulties. Play safe, there's no reason to go over your gear capabilities. You *can* play 'til 70 on Normal/Hard, but it'll take an age.

Basically:

• Stack all res and armor, keep some vitality but don't over-invest
    • HORSE CHARGE IS FANTASTIC
    • CDR is the strongest general build for a Crusader and keeps you alive longer
    • You have tons of utility/safety skills - Iron skin, Shield glare, horsey, and more (hell, even falling sword)
    Avatar image for poprocksandsoda
    poprocksandsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great stuff. Thank you. Quick follow up question; will horse charge get me out of a frozen state from a rare monster's frozen orb attack? That's what killed my last Crusader.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poprocksandsoda: No, but the horse goes through enemies so you would have to use it reacting to frozen effects on the ground rather than after getting frozen. Iron Skin, I believe, breaks frozen. Frozen is considered a stun effect, which the charge can't actually break.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

You used to have a get out of jail free with Akarrats champion also, but I think it's restricted to a singe rune now with the latest patch. Akarrats chamption also now makes you immune to elemental effects I believe to prevent you getting frozen in place. Also now one of the passive slots has been changed to allows you to get away with death every minute or so.

If your able to have both of those plus steed charge that should give you a whole bunch of chances to avoid death I would of thought.

I haven't played through on hardcore so I'm only talking for general survivability, but I found a high block chance on your shield helps, especially if you can get the point of unlocking renewal as a passive. Wrathful is pretty good also for the health regen if you have spammable abilities combined with a wrath generator like shield glare or provoke.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

If you're playing on normal then faceroll; if you're playing on something more difficult you probably want a block/healing build that will be completely awful at dealing damage. Crusaders just got megabuffed for the second patch in a row so it shouldn't be a huge deal, used to be the second softest class in the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.