Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 22, 2000

A celebrated cyberpunk-themed first-person role-playing game, Deus Ex puts players behind the shades of JC Denton--an operative thrust into a world of byzantine global conspiracies.

Whoa, Jesus!

SpaceCowboyPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So,replaying this masterpiece I notice a billboard with Jesus...smoking cigarettes called "Holy smokes". Now, I get it - to show further just how f****d up Deus Ex' world is, you make religion little more than product placement...but did you really have to do it? I mean,a smoking Jesus is so wacky and cartoonish that feels jarring compared to the super serious, cyberpunk-tinted orwellian dystopia that Deus Ex is...furthermore, shouldn't have it been "retconned", since the ad is dated "2025" but Human Revolution's future (set in 2027), despite being pretty bad on its own, is nowhere near this level of religious dissacration?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I take it you weren't agreeable?

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Although Deus Ex is mostly a serious game, it definitely has bits of silly humor tucked away like the one you just found. That billboard is just the developers having a little joke, nothing more. You can smile at it or ignore it, but you shouldn't get hung up on it.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Deus Ex is not a totally serious game at all. Perhaps you have not seen a moment of Gunther in this game yet?

As far the relation to the prequels, what do you want them to patch the original game? There are about a thousand ways the prequels don't make sense compared to the old masterpiece but that's just what they chose to do with the prequels I guess.

By the way:

No Caption Provided

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IIRC that game also had an e-mail that was totally written by or about Harley Quinn, so I wouldn't say that billboard is too at odds with the game's sense of humor.

SpaceCowboyPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah but Gunther's absurd ideas at least did fit in because we were in a sci fi setting AND became a running gag, even being mentioned in human revolution...big J smoking instead comes out of nowhere and there aren't similar things in the whole series

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Yeah but Gunther's absurd ideas at least did fit in because we were in a sci fi setting AND became a running gag, even being mentioned in human revolution...big J smoking instead comes out of nowhere and there aren't similar things in the whole series

Loading Video...

I really don't get why you are blaming the first game's good sense of humor for the fact that all the sequels were lifeless and boring in that regard.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To further blow your mind, JC Denton was intentionally named JC in reference to Jesus Christ because of the role he plays in the game.

Anywho, it was made in 1999 and it's a throwaway joke, I don't think there was any intent behind it other than to make teenagers giggle.

SpaceCowboyPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JC...stands for...JESUS CHRIST?! ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED!! (Bob Page and a couple of other guys confirmed, at least...)

Horrible jokes aside, I already knew that, and it was kinda predictable, especially with the (spoilers) Helios ending (End spoilers).

I'm not criticizing the humor, as I said I love Gunther shenanigans, just how weird and non-sequitur this Jesus throwaway joke was.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really? This is what we are getting mad at today?

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean ...

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.