Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 02, 2010

Dead Rising 2 is a third-person action-adventure survival horror game that takes place five years after the end of the original Dead Rising, moving its zombie apocalypse setting into the glamorous Fortune City.

Playboy Magazine To Be Featured In Dead Rising 2

• 64 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

At a demonstration event for Mafia II, I found myself barely scraping past a gaggle of 1940s-themed goons by blind firing from the protection of trashcans. That part of the demo made sense, oddly enough. But what the marketing dude said to me while I was hiding behind trash didn’t: he told me that the game had Playboy magazines scattered within its open-world, and one of the mags was close to me. 

I found one lying pristine and cover up in the alley, out of place and ridiculous. A menu popped up, allowing me study the centerfold at length; a disconnect. As if the protagonist would give two solids after just engaging in a lengthy chase that culminated in a sober firefight. The dumb magazine wasn't sexy or hip: it was a black eye in a game that supposedly authentically represents post-WWII America. I remember being told at the time it was enhancing the experience. C'mon, 2K Games

Yep.
     Yep.
    I'm getting this same bad vibe from the inclusion of Playboy magazine in Dead Rising 2, which admittedly, is a game that features dildos and leather chaps. Capcom revealed this morning that the game is set to have the magazine in several locations thoughout, both as a magazine and as ads, and integrated into the experience system like books were in its predecessor.

But while the magazines have a practical purpose in Dead Rising 2, they're still stupid. Like 2K Games, Capcom can now spit a bullet-point at press and consumers about having airbrushed blondes in the game, as if it matters or something. But we don't get that fact up front. Capcom director of licensing Seon King says the mags just fit the spirit of the game--a game that features a Las Vegas city knock-off and, most recently, Playboy magazines proudly exclaiming their "Girls of the SEC" spreads.

“The Sin City-type environment in Dead Rising 2, Fortune City, is a natural playground for the Playboy Bunnies,” said Seon King, Senior Director of Licensing for Capcom Entertainment, Inc.  “We have integrated the Playboy brand throughout the game in ways that bring even more life to Fortune City and add to the user experience.” 

If Playboy doesn't come up again, fair enough. But c'mon, guys. C'mon.   
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

At a demonstration event for Mafia II, I found myself barely scraping past a gaggle of 1940s-themed goons by blind firing from the protection of trashcans. That part of the demo made sense, oddly enough. But what the marketing dude said to me while I was hiding behind trash didn’t: he told me that the game had Playboy magazines scattered within its open-world, and one of the mags was close to me. 

I found one lying pristine and cover up in the alley, out of place and ridiculous. A menu popped up, allowing me study the centerfold at length; a disconnect. As if the protagonist would give two solids after just engaging in a lengthy chase that culminated in a sober firefight. The dumb magazine wasn't sexy or hip: it was a black eye in a game that supposedly authentically represents post-WWII America. I remember being told at the time it was enhancing the experience. C'mon, 2K Games

Yep.
     Yep.
    I'm getting this same bad vibe from the inclusion of Playboy magazine in Dead Rising 2, which admittedly, is a game that features dildos and leather chaps. Capcom revealed this morning that the game is set to have the magazine in several locations thoughout, both as a magazine and as ads, and integrated into the experience system like books were in its predecessor.

But while the magazines have a practical purpose in Dead Rising 2, they're still stupid. Like 2K Games, Capcom can now spit a bullet-point at press and consumers about having airbrushed blondes in the game, as if it matters or something. But we don't get that fact up front. Capcom director of licensing Seon King says the mags just fit the spirit of the game--a game that features a Las Vegas city knock-off and, most recently, Playboy magazines proudly exclaiming their "Girls of the SEC" spreads.

“The Sin City-type environment in Dead Rising 2, Fortune City, is a natural playground for the Playboy Bunnies,” said Seon King, Senior Director of Licensing for Capcom Entertainment, Inc.  “We have integrated the Playboy brand throughout the game in ways that bring even more life to Fortune City and add to the user experience.” 

If Playboy doesn't come up again, fair enough. But c'mon, guys. C'mon.   
    Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Crono11

Playboy is the MOST authentic adult magazine!

fez_soni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By fez_soni

lol playboy 

edit: BAH too slow 

DjRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By DjRich

Gross. To many breasts

Avatar image for thecappuccinobandit
    TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Hugh Hefner as a playable character confirmed?

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rebirth1337

Eh I'm not going to stop killing zombies to stare at a poster. Doesn't bother me. 

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't get it. What the hell is the point of including the Playboy brand in games? Is Playboy even culturally relevant still?

Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Terry_Bogard

Kinda unnecessary.. but whatever.  

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By landon

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fwylo
    @crono11 said:
    " Playboy is the MOST authentic adult magazine! "
    Nice.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By napalm

Brad Nicholson, be quiet and just report. We don't care what your opinion is on the subject. I actually approve of this. Big, fake tits, hell yes!

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By solidlife

I want to see a stat in the game of "Death by Boner". meaning the people who are going to stare at these images in game and then get killed by the zombies lol.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#13  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @Napalm said:
    " Brad Nicholson, be quiet and just report. We don't care what your opinion is on the subject. I actually approve of this. Big, fake tits, hell yes! "
    Agreed, journalism's definitely supposed to be objective, and that's a large reason we use this site over others. 

As for the Playboys themselves, I think it'll fit okay in DR2, but I really won't care either way. I was hoping they'd play like MGS "books", though.
    fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fishinwithguns

What is all this hate for the new guys?  Just because you're not familiar with someone, you don't want to hear what they have to say about anything?  I guarantee most of these negative comments are from guys who read the whole article, disagree with it, and then look at who wrote it to decide whether they should publicly attack the person or not.  That being said, fuck Matt Kessler...just kidding.

cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cabelhigh
    @Napalm said:
    " Brad Nicholson, be quiet and just report. We don't care what your opinion is on the subject. I actually approve of this. Big, fake tits, hell yes! "

How incredibly thoughtful of you. If journalists didn't include some form of opinions, hell, it wouldn't be that interesting to read. What if Jeff, in his recent "PowerGig" preview, spoke nothing how the fake drums sucked? It was his opinion.  If he didn't, would that satisfy you?
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AuthenticM

What's with the puritan attitude people?

andrewng30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By andrewng30
    @Napalm said:
    And are you not stating your opinion as well?
    Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Reverseface

It's a Vegas style city so it fits dead rising 2 i don't see the problem besides getting distracted looking at it while a zombie bites the fuck outta your neck.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee
    @Napalm said:
    "  Big, fake tits, hell yes! "
    !!!
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Little_Socrates said:
    " @Napalm said:
    Agreed, journalism's definitely supposed to be objective, and that's a large reason we use this site over others. "
    Would you kindly be a less blatant liar and hypocrite, please?
    rohanspear345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rohanspear345

lol natural playground for playboy bunnies

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By wrecks

People sure do get worked up into a tizzy over boobs, virtual boobs at that. They can be alot of fun, but really... just boobs.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Dustpan

I want pepsi and axe body spray as usable weapons.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By crusader8463

Please no. Nothing takes you out of a game then walking past images of real people in a 3D world. I don't mind the playboy angle, but at least take the time to make fake Playboy covers with 3D models. This will seriously ruin any kind of atmosphere the game tries to build up the moment I see one of these stupid things on the wall.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#25  Edited By MeatSim

This is one of the worst distractions you could have when fighting for your life against zombies.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

I like boobs and zombies.

LOZZAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By LOZZAT

Oh fucking hell, why can't they spend more time making the rest of the game better, or do they have soooo much spare time and assets that this needs to be done in so many recent games. It just kinda seems odd in most if not all video games. It's like they're saying, "Hey, here's that awesome game you bought to play it!" and I go: "Oh, thanks, that's cool" and they respond about 5 mins into me playing their game by going: "Hey! Hey listen! Look over there! BOOOOOOBIEEEES!" seriously, there's enough boobs on the internet already for any hormone-inflicted sweaty teenagers who're looking for them, I don't care about it being or not being in my games really.

AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By AndrooD2

If a game has in-game advertising, I'll take Playboy over Verizon Wireless any day.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By tebbit
    @Little_Socrates said:
    " @Napalm said:
    Agreed, journalism's definitely supposed to be objective, and that's a large reason we use this site over others.  As for the Playboys themselves, I think it'll fit okay in DR2, but I really won't care either way. I was hoping they'd play like MGS "books", though. "
    What the hell, I thought people came to this site for opinion, rather than just facts laid out in front of you like all the other sites?
    Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tsukiyomi
    @Napalm said:

Are you 12?
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ragdrazi

Doing anything to get that flagging subscription base up, eh Hef?

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By coonce
    @crono11 said:
    " Playboy is the MOST authentic adult magazine! "
    lol
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @DjRich said:
    " Gross. To many breasts "
    You can never have too many breasts... Unless it's all on one person...
    ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ocdog45

i have not fucking problem with this. i guess certain adds are not bad. playboy  yes.. gillette or old spice like in madden...... FUCK NO!

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Colonel_Fury

This seems pretty stupid.

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By and333
    @Tsukiyomi: Totally agreed! I come to my video games to play video games, you know kill shit, defeat some monsters. I do not come my games to have as Brad of so wonderfully put it, airbrushed blondes peering at me at all times!
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Vorbis

SIgh, product placement.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ZmillA
    @Napalm said:

wow first people don't like his straight fact style and now people don't want his opinion :D how bout you STFU :D

As far as the DR2 stuff goes, im not sure how I feel about it. I liked the charm of all fake shit in the first game
    PsychedelicET

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By PsychedelicET

I think this is fine -- it's just in-game advertising taken to its logical conclusions.  I'm surprised it's taken this long, since the market demographics for video games and Playboy are practically the same (in broad terms, of course).  Mafia II is stretching it because of the time-frame problems, but a modern-day setting fits Playboy as good as axe body spray or whatever the "market demographic" is supposedly into.  I don't care for in-game advertising but it's here to stay, and I prefer boobs over body spray personally.

kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By kwyee

Awesome.  Are in-game advertisers starting to really understand understand integrated ads?  Let's hope so!

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By rjpelonia

“We have integrated the Playboy brand throughout the game in ways that bring even more life to Fortune City and add to the user experience.”

...I'm sorry, can anyone translate this part for me? I just see complete nonsense.
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By beforet

So....can you kill zombies with Playboy magazines?

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#43  Edited By MormonWarrior

Great. Throw more porn into games. Ensure that I absolutely will not be playing them. Thanks a ton, Capcom.

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#44  Edited By fillmoejoe

This is old tech, Playboy just rolled out a 3D version of the magazine. The only cool integration of Playboy is Dead Rising 2 is if you fight centerfolds as bosses.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I don't find this very bothersome, to be honest. This and Mafia II are being blown out of proportion by everyone with a holier-than-thou stance on the issue. They're rated as mature games, so take a mature stance. If you don't want to go around hunting for tit pics, then don't. You're a grown ass man (or woman) and it's nothing you haven't seen before. Stop acting like it cripples the game or your morality somehow. Bitching about censorship for years then bitching about tits actually showing up. Baby steps, people.

megalord15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By megalord15

The issue isn't that there's tits. It's that there's tits for no real reason.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Milkman
    @ocdog45 said:

" i have not fucking problem with this. i guess certain adds are not bad. playboy  yes.. gillette or old spice like in madden...... FUCK NO! "

What? That makes no fucking sense. Why are these Playboy ads better than Gilette and Old Spice in Madden? Because they have tits? It makes a whole lot more sense for ads to be in Madden considering that REAL football stadiums are filled with ads and REAL football broadcasts are littered with sponsors. 

Also, this stuff with Mafia II and now Dead Rising 2 is really stupid. It's just a cheap way for the developers to say "HEY LOOK! TITS!"
    EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By EthanielRain
    @RJPelonia said:
    "

“We have integrated the Playboy brand throughout the game in ways that bring even more life to Fortune City and add to the user experience.”

...I'm sorry, can anyone translate this part for me? I just see complete nonsense. "
    "We have been given money to put Playboy ads into our game.  We think it's OK because we get money and you get to see boobs."
    KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By KinjiroSSD

another bad sign for Dead Rising 2.

WhatTheDang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WhatTheDang

It's just Playboy trying desperately to cling to some form of relevance in the world today.  

ho hum

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.