Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

You should play this - Darksiders

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

Edited By Hizang
    No Caption Provided

I have spoken my mind many times on this site of what I think of the Zelda franchise, I enjoyed Wind Waker but I never enjoyed the rest of them like I did with Wind Waker. Aside from Wind Waker I only have finished Ocarina of Time and I'm not really a huge fan of that game either. So sometime last year I picked up Darksiders not really knowing too much about it, I played a bit of it but it got swept away in my huge backlog. This year Darksiders 2 will grace the world of video games and seeing as not to much else is coming out this year (That I am interested in, fuck Bioshock!) I should probably go and try Darksiders again and then see if I like it enough to get the second one. So over the course of a few weeks I played some Darksiders, my feelings were mixed but after playing it I decided I found it a really nice experience.

I recommend against messing with War..

I do admit the game starts off rather slow and not as interesting as later on, the game shoves tutorials/challenges down your throat which are mandatory. Darksiders also looks like it will follow the same structure after each dungeon, with you blowing that horn every time and then having to go and do a bunch of those stupid challenges. That soon ends though and it throws in some variety in the way the game goes forward. It becomes more fluid which is something i felt most Zelda games didn't have, especially Ocarina which to me feels like each part of the game was designed separately and out of sequence.

One of the best designed video game characters I have seen.

Not to dabble to much on Zelda talk but a lot of mechanics taken from Zelda are not just taken but also improved. Small things like being able to dash when climbing and being able to warp around quite early on and item management is a whole lot better and quicker. I mean no disrespect to the Zelda franchise but i just think Darksiders makes things better and easier, also the tune is better! As is the voice actors which is not really fair but common Zelda get with the times! War sounds really fitting as does The Watcher, as really does the whole of the cast. The story doesn't really take off until 3/4's of the way through but towards the end you end up getting involved in the story and caring about the characters.

The puzzles do get very difficult in a few places, I resorted to a guide on the last dungeon that was just fucking insane but awesome at the same time. The combat was really entertaining, it was very satisfying killing a mess of dudes. Which again in Zelda combat is really not all that interesting, here there are a bunch of cool moves and weapons to use in combat. I found the gun and boomerang to be useless but the scythe helped me out in a few key situations. I found this game very enjoyable and it ends on such a tease, I am now highly anticipating the next game and as should the rest of you.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hizang
    No Caption Provided

I have spoken my mind many times on this site of what I think of the Zelda franchise, I enjoyed Wind Waker but I never enjoyed the rest of them like I did with Wind Waker. Aside from Wind Waker I only have finished Ocarina of Time and I'm not really a huge fan of that game either. So sometime last year I picked up Darksiders not really knowing too much about it, I played a bit of it but it got swept away in my huge backlog. This year Darksiders 2 will grace the world of video games and seeing as not to much else is coming out this year (That I am interested in, fuck Bioshock!) I should probably go and try Darksiders again and then see if I like it enough to get the second one. So over the course of a few weeks I played some Darksiders, my feelings were mixed but after playing it I decided I found it a really nice experience.

I do admit the game starts off rather slow and not as interesting as later on, the game shoves tutorials/challenges down your throat which are mandatory. Darksiders also looks like it will follow the same structure after each dungeon, with you blowing that horn every time and then having to go and do a bunch of those stupid challenges. That soon ends though and it throws in some variety in the way the game goes forward. It becomes more fluid which is something i felt most Zelda games didn't have, especially Ocarina which to me feels like each part of the game was designed separately and out of sequence.

Not to dabble to much on Zelda talk but a lot of mechanics taken from Zelda are not just taken but also improved. Small things like being able to dash when climbing and being able to warp around quite early on and item management is a whole lot better and quicker. I mean no disrespect to the Zelda franchise but i just think Darksiders makes things better and easier, also the tune is better! As is the voice actors which is not really fair but common Zelda get with the times! War sounds really fitting as does The Watcher, as really does the whole of the cast. The story doesn't really take off until 3/4's of the way through but towards the end you end up getting involved in the story and caring about the characters.

The puzzles do get very difficult in a few places, I resorted to a guide on the last dungeon that was just fucking insane but awesome at the same time. The combat was really entertaining, it was very satisfying killing a mess of dudes. Which again in Zelda combat is really not all that interesting, here there are a bunch of cool moves and weapons to use in combat. I found the gun and boomerang to be useless but the scythe helped me out in a few key situations. I found this game very enjoyable and it ends on such a tease, I am now highly anticipating the next game and as should the rest of you.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By jjnen

I don't know what is wrong with me but Darksiders didn't grab me at all. I played untill I got to the second or third boss where you are supposed to kick carts to it. Then I just quit. Game wasn't by any means bad but it just felt boring. Characters, enviroments and story didn't have any effect on me. I probably should have forced myself to move forward and I plan to come back to it but at the time I didn't feel like mashing buttons to continue from one area to the next.

I'll get back to you when I find the power within that helps me finish this game.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Didn't find any of the puzzles difficult. Did find the last dungeon to be incredibly tedious, waiting on long slow animations so I could shoot portals on things. Everything before the last dungeon is decent.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

I have, it's awesome. Always a good recommendation.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ares42

@Rappelsiini said:

I don't know what is wrong with me but Darksiders didn't grab me at all. I played untill I got to the second or third boss where you are supposed to kick carts to it. Then I just quit. Game wasn't by any means bad but it just felt boring. Characters, enviroments and story didn't have any effect on me. I probably should have forced myself to move forward and I plan to come back to it but at the time I didn't feel like mashing buttons to continue from one area to the next.

I'll get back to you when I find the power within that helps me finish this game.

It's a slow burner for sure, just getting better and better as you go. You probably have to be a fan of the genre to like it though, but then again who's not a fan of action adventures? :P

Also, eventhough there's a period before the ending that's sort of a drag, it's legitimately one of the few games that has made me go "FUCK YEAH!" at the end of it all.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Meh, i really thought I'd like this game, but...not really. Can't believe a game set in the apocalypse didn't grab me. I mean FFS, you're playing as War, a rider of the apocalypse. I hate myself for not liking Darksiders.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I enjoyed Darksiders though the last few hours (The Black Throne dungeon, collecting the sword pieces) really soured my opinion of the game. Really tedious and boring. But the combat is a lot of fun and the ending is so good. SO GOOD.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Morrow

@Rappelsiini said:

I don't know what is wrong with me but Darksiders didn't grab me at all.

This. I kinda forced myself to Tiamat, her attack patterns got on my nerves, and I quit.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Morrow

@BulletproofMonk said:

the ending is so good. SO GOOD.

Spoil me. What's so good about it?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hizang

@Morrow: The game ends with the other horseman coming to your call, it is rather epic.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Morrow

@Hizang said:

@Morrow: The game ends with the other horseman coming to your call, it is rather epic.

Oh. I imagined some kind of conspiracy-twist-revelation, but ok.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By c_rakestraw

@Morrow said:

@Hizang said:

There is a twist of that kind, actually. I can't recall some of the details, though. Been a while since I played it.

MyNameIsJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MyNameIsJoe

As some people have already said Darksiders really didn't grab me all that much. It was certainly competent and thoroughly enjoyable at times; but over all I found it fairly bland and underwhelming.

...Also the ending really wasn't all that cool ;)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

Already have. It's pretty ace. Snagged the #4 spot on my 2010 GOTY list.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Sooty

My only problem with Darksiders is that it goes on for a bit too long.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai

@Morrow said:

@Hizang said:

Sort of. If you're that interested then go read the plot summery on this web site and go check out the vids on you tube.

@Hizang:

Which was your favorite level? I know mine was...

That desert area. Really dug the look of it and the design of it. Had a really cool Dune vibe to it. Then I realized at what they saying that the sand is the ashes of al the dead. Awesome.

That desert area. Really dug the look of it and the design of it. Had a really cool Dune vibe to it. Then I realized at what they saying that the sand is the ashes of al the dead. Awesome.

I dug the overall look of the game. Had a really cool comic book vibe to it and Samael's design was so good.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hizang

@mordukai said:

@Hizang:

Which was your favorite level?

My favourite level was probably the sand one too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.