Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Mar 24, 2016

This game melds elements from all previous Souls games and concludes the Dark Souls trilogy.

Do all of the weapons in this game feel the exact same to anyone else?

• 61 results
    Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

@jesushammer said:

@selfconfessedcynic: I know I'm still early in the game just beating the Deacons, but my Great Machete feels like the most boss weapon in the game. It's just more about timing with them like it was in Bloodborne.

Haha, don't get me wrong man, big weapons are mad fun to use and still hella cool. They're just a tad underpowered - which is only a problem if you're a dyed in the wool min/maxer or optimiser.

For any interested, very few greatsword/ultra-greatsword class weapons stand up to the top-tier smaller weapons in PvE (longsword, brigand axe, sunlight straight sword, dark sword, black blade, etc) - the notable exceptions being the exiled greatsword and fume ultragreatsword - both of which use a lot of stamina and swing very slowly, so their actual DPS is pretty poor. That said, if you're one to do footsies/pokes with your enemies, then ultra greatsword class weapons will always be the way to go since you wont be spending time standing still and hacking away at someone like you would with a smaller faster weapon.

If you like the great machete, just WAIT till you have the strength to go w/ the Black Knight Greatsword or Greataxe... or the good old Zweihander / Greatsword.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@efesell said:

This definitely made the complaints over Bloodborne only having 15 or so unique weapons really frustrating at times.

I still wonder how those people feel about The Witcher 3, where you only had 1 (viable) type of weapon (sword) and just 2 attacks basically..

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By blackichigo

@dussck: I ever really saw the one sword thing as a problem in The Witcher. I was supposed to be role playing an established swordsman that was supposed to fight as if he were dancing and minored in magic. It never really bothers to roleplay as established characters.

Imagine Nintendo fans reaction to a Link that fights only with a gun. Although a Master Gun sounds pretty cool to me, that not really Link.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Evilsbane

@blackichigo said:

I just cant get over the fact that all of the weapons feel exactly alike.

Yet...

I've tried greatswords and greathammers, but they are so slow and use so much stamina the higher damage doesn't seem worth it.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By BrotherBran

You keep saying your bored but seem unwilling to even try the other weapon clasess, yes weapons of the same type have very similar move sets typically, so grab an axe or something. There are strength scaling weapons that are fast, not just big ass weapons.

Saying your tired of souls combat is fine but saying your bored of the same sword you've been using for 40 hours and blaming the dev that literally hands you dozens of weapons isn't.

Edit-you can also use heavy gems to improve any weapons strength scaling

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if OP is not having a good time with the game he should probably take a break because I'm not sure if the situation will change much. And to answer his original question: no I don't think the weapons feel exactly the same even within their own class. The Greatsword I'm currently wielding handles way differently than the Astora Greatsword I just got.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

No.

However, since basically everyone I've encountered is using the Dark Sword, yes.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Fists and whips feel more gimmicky than fun.

Gimmicky and fun aren't mutually exclusive. My castlevania runs have been my favorite sessions of Dark Souls by a country mile.

captainjudaism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: That weapon alone is why I prefer the Dancer's Twinblades. Not as "effective" but the move set is so damn fun.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every weapon feels worse than my homie the Butcher Knife. At +10 that thing is a BEAST.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

@jakob187: That weapon alone is why I prefer the Dancer's Twinblades. Not as "effective" but the move set is so damn fun.

Yeah, I played around with those a little bit, just to see the move set. It's really cool. It doesn't fit my playstyle, though. I go for a "hold a big fucking sword with two-handed, run in, and bash shit with a vengeance."

However, I've messed around with all of the weapons, and I know that the Dark Sword isn't going to be the one I settle on using forever (despite having a Refined Dark Sword +10). I really like the move set of Dragonslayer Greataxe. That lightning bolt move is crazy, and the sheer strength and audacity of that weapon is great. I also like the Butcher Knife, namely because of its Sharpen ability and the one-handed swing animations. Onikiri and Ubadachi are the other ones I want to fully upgrade, as they are pretty quality (C/C for str/dex with a sick move set and an awesome skill called Onislayer). I actually just picked up another Titanite Slab today, so I might have to upgrade them to +10 when I get off work.

I just need to farm Titanite Scale for a bunch of other weapons I want to use (Wolf's Blood Greatsword, Profaned Greatsword, Hollowslayer Greatsword).

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has thoroughly enjoyed this series since DS1, including the pvp. I somewhat agree with you. If you're looking for weapons with good damage there are only a few of each class, and they are all too similar. I'm not good with words, but this reddit post sums it up really well. It's directed at pvp but I feel it applies to pve as well. Link

Then there's also the fact that poise does basically nothing at all in this game. It doesn't have any effect on how much damage you can take before staggering, it just has an arbitrary effect on roll recovery. Great weapons have hyper-armor built in to their swings which is the only thing that gives the old type of poise. There are a lot of areas of DS3 where I just feel like the developers took the lazy route.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.