Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Mar 24, 2016

This game melds elements from all previous Souls games and concludes the Dark Souls trilogy.

Dark Souls 3 or Dark Souls 2 Remaster?

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Hi gang!

I'm looking for a Dark Souls game to play on my PS4 and I cant decide which I should get.

I've played Demon Souls for PS3, and I have and have completed maybe 1/3rd of Dark Souls 2 for PS3 and really enjoyed it but never completed it since my PS3 died on me.

My question is if you only had time for one which is the better experience?

From my research it sounds like I really would have enjoyed Dark Souls 1 the most given the wide open world.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm digging the hell out of Dark Souls 3 so far. I think it's a better game than 2 and I didn't even think 2 was bad.

So i'd recommend 3 for sure.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By peacebrother

Dark Souls 3 is a far better game than 2. Play Dark Souls 3.

ikramit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Also recommend DS3 as honestly so far its shaping up to be my favorite souls game of the bunch, both the combat situations and level design have been really consistent and there's been multiple enemies to fight in any given area. As for the level design yes its not as open as DS1 but I feel it's so much more involved I'd say it's similar to a rope in that there's multiple layers and threads going in the same direction. There's also been a ton of weapons\ armour in the game and the new skill system adds another layer to whats already a fleshed out combat system.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls 2 is a great game but more importantly it's a great imitation of a Miyazaki Souls game.

It's by far the most skippable souls game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I like DS2 a while hell of a lot, but in your position I'd buy 3 since it's "the thing" right now.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm about 8 hours into DS3 and I don't know if I'll go any further with it. For what it's worth, DS2 got about 25 hours out of me before I moved on, so make of that what you will.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dark souls 3. what ive played so far has the makings of a masterpiece

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you're probably good either way, but performance of 3 seems to be better on console.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Thanks guys!

Leaning towards 3.

I'll probably have to go back and do 2 as well one of these days. I really like the asthetics of some of the areas, especially places like Things Betwixt and all that jazz... though I suppose they all have their unique levels

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

I'm digging the hell out of Dark Souls 3 so far. I think it's a better game than 2 and I didn't even think 2 was bad.

So i'd recommend 3 for sure.

I'm in the same boat. Though I am rather lukewarm towards it. Dark Souls 2 wasn't bad, but if it's between the 2 I'd go with 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recommend getting neither and playing Bloodborne instead. It's the same kind of game, just much faster paced.

If you really want to get one of the Dark Souls games then I'd recommend 3. Dark Souls 2 has a few too many spots that crosses the line from difficult to just plain unfair, and as of right now, I haven't had any moments like that in Dark Souls 3 (at least not yet).

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I played DS2 on PS3 most of the way through and ended up stopping. A buddy and I are coop-ing through DS2 and I am also currently playing DS3. DS2 didn't look super great on PS3 and it looks pretty fucking rough on PS4 IMO. It also has a lot of frustrating things that they polished up on DS3. So if you didn't already have DS2 I would almost exclusively recommend DS3.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm about six hours into DS3 and so far I am much happier with it than I was with 2. It feels better to play and I am doing a lot more exploring of optional paths. The lore is also easier to understand and I'm liking the connections to DS1.

DS2 will always be the black sheep of the franchise and is also the most forgatable entry.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Wemibelle

DS2 is cheaper, has more content (considering it comes with the DLC), and might actually be better than DS3. After my first completed playthrough of DS3, my gut opinion is that DS2 is a bit more interesting and fun.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If you want to ride this hot, hot wave of zeitgeist, I'd recommend Dark Souls 3. I haven't gotten far enough in it to comment if it's better than Dark Souls 2 yet (and I like Dark Souls 2 a lot), but if you want to get in while the iron is still hot for stuff like multiplayer invasions and people speculating endlessly about lore on internet forums, it might not be a bad choice. Also, while I think it's probably better than and more interesting than the vanilla version of DS 2, the Scholar of the First Sin remix is a lot harder earlier on in a way that can be a little overwhelming.

whitlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have around 11 hours in Dark Souls 3 so far and I completed all of Dark Souls 2 as well as the DLC and I would definitely recommend Dark Souls 3. Dark Souls 2 is the black sheep, and by far the most skippable of any of the SoulsBorne games. Although, Dark Souls 2 is still better than the majority of the games out there.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Dark Souls III without question.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've put in the same amount of time in both games (about 10 hours each). I stopped playing Dark Souls 2. I can't stop playing Dark Souls 3.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just went through Demon's Souls, which was good, and now I'm currently playing Dark Souls. I played some of it before around 2011, but coming fresh off of Demon's for the first time, playing this is almost like a fresh start. To me, at least so far, it is so much a similar experience I find it hard to say it's better, but it does have some slightly better aspects to it for sure. Oh, and sorry, I can't actually help with this topic. I'm just excited to finally get through Demon's Souls, and to now go through Dark Souls and then buy the rest later.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing through vanilla ds2 on pc now and liking it a lot, but sotfs seemed kinda stupid to me. I would get ds3 on ps4 and if you want to play ds2 play the version you own imo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.