Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 21, 2012

The fourth iteration of Valve's team-based modern-military first-person shooter, rebuilt and constantly expanded for competitive play with new maps, new weapons, and new gameplay mechanics. It was later made free-to-play and most versions were later replaced with the sequel.

Completely hypothetical question

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

If I were to play CS: GO on the PC with a controller how badly would I do?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShaggE

All of the badly.

You'll redefine "badly", in fact. People will plug in their controllers while playing CS, and a message will pop up saying "Badly Mode Activated", because "badly" will have come to be defined as "playing CS with a controller".

A guy will make a dubstep remix of you playing CS with a controller, and it will get approximately 592 views and four comments. Oddly, most of those views will be from Connecticut, and the uploader will put an annotation in their video pointing out this fact after checking their view statistics, but he'll remove the annotation after a couple of days because he decided that this fact isn't very interesting.

Somebody will try, and fail, to create a meme involving your k/d ratio. It'll be called "Funny k/d ratio controller guy", and it'll be awful. It will go entirely unnoticed, and the creator will feel bad and go back to submitting images to The Cheezburger Network. His name is Timothy, and he's currently at a 7/11 trying to decide between Slim Jims and a bag of Combos.

EDIT: He'll go with the Slim Jims.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I've played it with a controller it's not impossible

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By tim_the_corsair

You'll get schooled by anyone who can semi-competently play with a keyboard and mouse, unfortunately.

The only PC FPS I've seen someone do well at with a controller is TF2 playing Medic or Heavy (and even then the lack of sensitivity makes you vulnerable)

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

@ShaggE said:

All of the badly.

You'll redefine "badly", in fact. People will plug in their controllers while playing CS, and a message will pop up saying "Badly Mode Activated", because "badly" will have come to be defined as "playing CS with a controller".

A guy will make a dubstep remix of you playing CS with a controller, and it will get approximately 592 views and four comments. Oddly, most of those views will be from Connecticut, and the uploader will put an annotation in their video pointing out this fact after checking their view statistics, but he'll remove the annotation after a couple of days because he decided that this fact isn't very interesting.

Somebody will try, and fail, to create a meme involving your k/d ratio. It'll be called "Funny k/d ratio controller guy", and it'll be awful. It will go entirely unnoticed, and the creator will feel bad and go back to submitting images to The Cheezburger Network. His name is Timothy, and he's currently at a 7/11 trying to decide between Slim Jims and a bag of Combos.

I only play objective based shooters to get a high k/d. How good would my k/d be?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShaggE

@FiestaUnicorn said:

@ShaggE said:

All of the badly.

I only play objective based shooters to get a high k/d. How good would my k/d be?

77. That's imperial units, of course, which doesn't apply to k/ds (or make any amount of sense), but this is the topsy-turvy world of "playing CS with a controller", so anything goes. In this world, one could even play Marble Madness with a dance pad, or The Pat Boone Driving Simulator '92 with a hand-cranked calliope. Have you considered CS by way of calliope? It'll be grand.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Terramagi

@FiestaUnicorn said:

@ShaggE said:

All of the badly.

Let me put it this way:

Do you WANT there to be Ks?

Because if so, don't even look at a controller.

Hilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hilbert

Quake arena on Xbox 360 with controller:

Quake 3 arena on PC with mouse and keyboard:

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @ShaggE If I wasn't already married I would be proposing to you right now
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShaggE

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@ShaggE If I wasn't already married I would be proposing to you right now

I'd swoon, but I can't feel my legs. :( If I ever bump into you and your wife at a dance recital or discus championship, though, I'll treat everybody to froyos.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

@Hilbert said:

OMG!!!!1!!! You can play Quake 3 with a controller!!!! Now I can play it the same way I play Call Of Duty, which is a similar game!!!@ShaggE said:

@FiestaUnicorn said:

@ShaggE said:

All of the badly.

77. That's imperial units, of course, which doesn't apply to k/ds (or make any amount of sense), but this is the topsy-turvy world of "playing CS with a controller", so anything goes. In this world, one could even play Marble Madness with a dance pad, or The Pat Boone Driving Simulator '92 with a hand-cranked calliope. Have you considered CS by way of calliope? It'll be grand.

Hilbert let me know that I can also play Quake 3 with a controller. Since the first time I played Quake 2 on the 360 I've wanted to play Quake 3 with a controller and now I can.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Akyho

Oh dear god no. You would not be of any use playing with a controller.

I have been playing CS:GO alot on pc recently. I have a 4000DPI mouse that can be changed down to 0. I play CS:GO on my third level which is 3000DPI. I am smooth as butter and fast, if I felt confertable and if it would help, I would run at 3000DPI

I DLed the trial of CS:GO on xbox. I tried it, nope turn is slow, upped it, nope still slow....nope...maxed. That is absolutely damned slow, people were pulling headshots off on me. That was Controller vs Controller.

Controller vs Mouse, nope Mouse wins.

Also Xbox version to make up for the slowness. Right bumper is 180 turn.......thats right. To help the game speed up they added in a 180 turn function.

Just look.

PC

XBOX

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Terramagi

@Hilbert said:

This really reminds me of that Shadowrun FPS.

First game ever with crossplay.

Last game, after teams of console gamers routinely went without getting a single kill.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShaggE

@FiestaUnicorn said:

Hilbert let me know that I can also play Quake 3 with a controller. Since the first time I played Quake 2 on the 360 I've wanted to play Quake 3 with a controller and now I can.

Yeah, Hilbert's got people's backs like that. Hilly and I go way back. He used to copilot my biplane. We called it the Flyin' Biplane. I was never good at naming biplanes. Better at naming canoes.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Akyho

@Te

Last game, after teams of console gamers routinely went without getting a single kill.

I played Shadowrun a tone on xbox. It wasnt the console mouse problem, it was the LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG.

Even when we played on a somewhat stable game with a PC person or 2. We did ok if not won.

However no one playing Shadowrun and playing console people crossplay, would be serious about the game. Not like CS players!

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

@ShaggE said:

@FiestaUnicorn said:

Yeah, Hilbert's got people's backs like that. Hilly and I go way back. He used to copilot my biplane. We called it the Flyin' Biplane. I was never good at naming biplanes. Better at naming canoes.

Shouldn't Jesus be your copilot. Perhaps he would give you the power to come up with good biplane names.

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tim_the_corsair

100% factual.

It is listed in the bible as one of his 16 different powers after he hits SSJ3, being a more powerful version of his "Rename Donkey" power he had previously

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaggE

@FiestaUnicorn said:

@ShaggE said:

@FiestaUnicorn said:

Shouldn't Jesus be your copilot. Perhaps he would give you the power to come up with good biplane names.

I asked him, but all he could come up with was "The Spruce Goose"... sadly, that was already taken.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By UssjTrunks

@FiestaUnicorn said:

If I were to play CS: GO on the PC with a controller how badly would I do?

You'd be pretty terrible.

Mouse + keyboard has an enormous advantage.

There was a study on this recently that I can't find the link to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're already dead.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ravenlight

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

100% factual. It is listed in the bible as one of his 16 different powers after he hits SSJ3, being a more powerful version of his "Rename Donkey" power he had previously

I main Jesus. To be fair, Rename Donkey is hella OP and everybody just spams it. I'm pretty excited about the DLC though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Justin258

I tried playing the trial of CSGO on the Xbox and, speaking as a longtime console gamer who has played CSS with an M and K, the answer is "Counter Strike should never, ever be played with a controller."

Halo? Yep. Call of Duty? Perfect. Battlefield? Works fine. Team Fortress 2? Yeah, if they would update it. Counter Strike? Never. Doesn't work. Can't be done right.

ElCount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ElCount

What if you try mouse and keyboard on the PS3? Would that be wrong when everybody else is using a controller?

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By DoctorWelch

Eh, it depends how good your are at shooters with a controller. Yes, playing with a mouse and keyboard is going to be better when you are playing at some insanely high skill level, but in reality, you can actually get by with playing a controller. People are going to be all like "BLASPHEMY", but if you're used to playing with a controller you can still do well.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Pie

I was watching a guy using a controller on the PC yesterday and he was doing all right.

Eh

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By groin

@Terramagi said:

@Hilbert said:

Actually, PC players could connect to Quake 3 Dreamcast servers if they used the 1.16N version of the client way back in 2000.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CaLe

I dunno how many times I've been getting shot in the back in CS only to quickly do a 180 and headshot the guy pestering me. I don't see how this can be done using a controller. Not with any consistency any way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.