Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Contextual Controller Rumble

Concept »

Although force feedback is often used in games to indicate such commonalities as when a player character is taking damage or feeling weapon recoil, it is sometimes used in more creative ways, such as providing hints to finding an item or providing emphasis during an otherwise non-interactive cinematic sequence. These games feature more creative uses of rumble than the norm.

Who else can't stand rumble?

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I was once like most people, enjoying vibration and never paying it much mind. But at a certain point, something changed inside me and I found it started to be really annoying.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Depends. In an FPS its dumb and can be annoying when your controller is basically constantly vibrating. I often turn it off.

BUT in a game like Metal Gear Solid(1/2/3) when they have a god damn credited rumble director who scores the rumble in the whole game. Its amazing.

also it can be useful in racing games.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I turn it off in FPS games because it improves my aim, but I don't dislike it.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

When it's used to give the player a bit of feedback, or some kind of sense-impression that's useful in game, it can be really good. You get this most in racing games I guess. I think in Just Cause 3 it's used to tell you whether you're boosting or not, which is useful for managing boost in races...which I guess isn't much of a recommendation given that racing in open world games is pretty universally hated.

But when it's put in as an attempt to make the game feel more real it tends to be pretty hokey and lame, I agree.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

I only notice it when it's not there.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I enjoyed the novelty of it in the N64 days, then became ambivalent about it in the PS2 generation, and ultimate came to dislike it on average over the course of last gen. I now find it unremarkable at best and obnoxious at worst. So I just always turn it off.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I honestly don't even notice it anymore.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I was never a fan of it, but these days it bothers me. It aggravates my wrist when it's really bad, and other times it's just annoying. I don't mind it occasionally but I usually turn it off.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By monetarydread

I would rather have the option than not have it at all. I think that it is like everything else, in that its amazing when its done properly, but awful when it isn't used properly. For example, I have a racing whell and rumble / force feedback make the experience better because I can actually feel what is happening to the vehicle, thus improving my ability to react accordingly. It also helps with immersion because not having any feedback on the wheel is so removed from the everyday experience of driving that it breaks immersion and becomes more about what is not happening than what is happening.

Now, that is a very specific case and I am assuming you are talking about traditional controller rumble. Sure, that can be annoying sometimes, but it is used well too often to start condemning the feature. An individuals personal preference varies, that is why every consoles / PC's allow you to turn rumble off on the system level.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly don't notice it until its not there, like in sfv. Its become so widely used that it feels odd when its missing now. It doesn't mess with my aim or ability to do anything game related, atleast not that ive noticed. Its like analog sticks, just feels like basic game function.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it a lot, and when used well makes the game better IMO. It's almost essential in something like MLB: The Show in how it's used. Forza is a better game for it because it really gives a feel for the road. Games feel lees immersive without it usually.

Oprahtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rumbles where its at bro, get with the times!!!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Love it.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only bad people say that.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time where it bothers the shit out of me is in Lego games. Just about every action you take causes the controller to vibrate and not only is it distracting and annoying, but if I'm "going wireless" it causes the battery to drain like a mother.

jazzylament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmn, it's interesting, because I almost like it as a punitive thing. For example, in certain fighting games you don't really feel it if you are punching up your opponent, but as soon as you get nailed, it kicks in. Same goes for FPS games. Also when having a high powered weapon and feeling it really kick back more so than any other gun is kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda awesome. I'm a fan.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Rumble 4 ever!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.